ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pretty strong opening week for players that transferred from Pitt

Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
Some curiosity got the best of me so I decided to look this up and see how these guys did.

Ithiel Horton is currently starting for the #18 team in the country at Texas. Horton had 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. This is Horton's last year, it will be interesting to see if he finally has better game to game consistency. This is also Horton's 4th school in 5 years.

Nate Santos had 6 points, 14 rebounds, and a steal in the opener for Dayton. Most surprisingly, he made all 4 of his shots, 2 from the floor and 2 from the line. Nate was always a great teammate, Id like to see him do well and finally find his shooting consistency again.

John Hugley had 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 turnovers in his opener for Oklahoma in 18 minutes of action. Ill be curious if he can get his turnovers under better control at OU to be more productive. Ill also be curious of how he acts if things don't go his way this year.

Xavier Johnson who is in his 6th year (you read that correctly, 6th year) of college playing for Indiana had 14 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist and 2 turnovers against Florida Gulf Coast. X was pretty decent in this game as a I watched it. But Indiana was really weak and lethargic on the glass considering their size advantage and also weak guarding the 3 point line. I didn't see the same cockiness from X this year although I think his on the floor leadership still leaves a lot to be desired. Still, he produced and he certainly hit a few big shots in this game when needed.

Chris Payton of Kent State started to really surge at the end of last season and turn it on. Tonight against James Madison (who just beat the #4 ranked team in the country on the road), Payton had 25 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 assists and is averaging over a double double on the season through 2 games. Payton never got a real chance here because he wasn't near ready on defense. It looks like extra college seasoning has really helped him blossom into a decent player.

Some curiosity got the best of me so I decided to look this up and see how these guys did.

Ithiel Horton is currently starting for the #18 team in the country at Texas. Horton had 17 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 assists. This is Horton's last year, it will be interesting to see if he finally has better game to game consistency. This is also Horton's 4th school in 5 years.

Nate Santos had 6 points, 14 rebounds, and a steal in the opener for Dayton. Most surprisingly, he made all 4 of his shots, 2 from the floor and 2 from the line. Nate was always a great teammate, Id like to see him do well and finally find his shooting consistency again.

John Hugley had 10 points, 5 rebounds, and 3 turnovers in his opener for Oklahoma in 18 minutes of action. Ill be curious if he can get his turnovers under better control at OU to be more productive. Ill also be curious of how he acts if things don't go his way this year.

Xavier Johnson who is in his 6th year (you read that correctly, 6th year) of college playing for Indiana had 14 points, 4 rebounds, and 1 assist and 2 turnovers against Florida Gulf Coast. X was pretty decent in this game as a I watched it. But Indiana was really weak and lethargic on the glass considering their size advantage and also weak guarding the 3 point line. I didn't see the same cockiness from X this year although I think his on the floor leadership still leaves a lot to be desired. Still, he produced and he certainly hit a few big shots in this game when needed.

Chris Payton of Kent State started to really surge at the end of last season and turn it on. Tonight against James Madison (who just beat the #4 ranked team in the country on the road), Payton had 25 points, 17 rebounds, 3 blocks, and 3 assists and is averaging over a double double on the season through 2 games. Payton never got a real chance here because he wasn't near ready on defense. It looks like extra college seasoning has really helped him blossom into a decent player.

How did Gerald do?

Payton was bouncy so you could see potential there.

Hugley isnt a B12 player according to BballinsiderfromPitt

Horton tested the ole SMF "be last" theory. If you are the one of the last guys in the portal, you can name your school. Look at us, we got a D2 guy really late. You think Hueitt thought he'd end up on an NCAAT D1 team? No way.

Johnson is going to be the first college player to play with his son.

Drumgoole had 11 and 12 in his 1st 2 games.

Parker Stewart is playing for the Sheffield Sharks in 🇬🇧

Reactions: mo cheeks
I’ll root for Santos, but there was only room for him or Jeffress and glad both seem to be improved. The others (Horton, Johnson, Hugley) we’re more I than team and while they may have great games, their games just didn’t fit in this system.

Hugley , I forgot about him. How quickly things worked out better for the Panthers after he left.

Fede is going to have a big season.

I’ll root for Santos, but there was only room for him or Jeffress and glad both seem to be improved. The others (Horton, Johnson, Hugley) we’re more I than team and while they may have great games, their games just didn’t fit in this system.
Hugley nearly ended Capel’s PItt career.

Reactions: Pittnerski
I always thought Chris Payton looked good at Pitt and was surprised he didn't get more minutes. But I never saw him play enough to judge his defense.

Reactions: gary2
Hugley nearly ended Capel’s PItt career.
Yeah. It makes me wonder if none of the legal stuff happened with Horton and Hugley, maybe those seasons would have been different. But I am happier with the players we have now than if you created a starting five of hugley, Johnson, santos, Horton, and Payton.

Good info, thanks. I'm glad these transfers are doing well. Sometimes it takes a new
environment and oftentimes it means moving down a level. Santos at the A-10 level
is probably a much better fit for him. Same with Payton. Payton was not an ACC
player, but at a Kent State a few years later he's doing well so far. As for X, it was never
a talent problem here at Pitt. I've watched him at Indiana a number of times. His
IU coach is not tolerating the behavior we saw here at Pitt. Capel didn't have much
choice with X, he had to play him, there were no other options. As for Hugley, he
was a head case and a problem here. Maybe this coach can get to him. The talent
is there, it'll be interesting.

What's the purpose of a comment like that? We're tired of you
reminding us of your W's and L's. By the way, he's forgotten more
basketball than you'll ever know.
It's a fact that certain posters on this board were like a broken record insisting that Hugley's only chance to be a factor somewhere was to transfer down because he wasn't good enough for the P6. It was BS then, it's BS now, and those who uttered it so loudly and authoritatively then deserve to eat it now.

Reactions: 20-20Hindsight
Max Amadusun is averaging 14 and 11 for D2 Augusta. He had 1 year left next year. I wonder if he will transfer to a low major or possibly, a mid-major. The move to St. Bonaventure was bad. He needed a lower level. But, as a 5th year senior next year, he might be able to contribute at the A10 level.

Max Amadusun is averaging 14 and 11 for D2 Augusta. He had 1 year left next year. I wonder if he will transfer to a low major or possibly, a mid-major. The move to St. Bonaventure was bad. He needed a lower level. But, as a 5th year senior next year, he might be able to contribute at the A10 level.
As for Amadusun, D2 says it all.

It's a fact that certain posters on this board were like a broken record insisting that Hugley's only chance to be a factor somewhere was to transfer down because he wasn't good enough for the P6. It was BS then, it's BS now, and those who uttered it so loudly and authoritatively then deserve to eat it now.
In big 12 conference games, he is averaging 7 points, 2 rebounds, 3.5 fouls and 1.5 turnovers. And that's the better part of his game. He stinks.

As for Amadusun, D2 says it all.

Amadusun was from the old Dixon 2 lottery ticket big model:

Derrick Randall
Uchebo
Nix
Illegomah
Manigault
Austin Wallace
Cassin Diggs
Tyrone Haughton
Malcom Gilbert

Just the worst bigs imaginable. These guys werent even good D2 level players, let alone ACC/Big East.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT