ADVERTISEMENT

Really good read on the Portal and NIL

ChiefJusticeMarshall

Sophomore
Gold Member
Jun 14, 2020
Really comprehensive. Interesting stuff. Likely behind a paywall for some of yinz.

Just a snippet.

Entering the portal​

The second a player’s name appears in the transfer portal, it’s like a high school recruitment all over again, only in a tighter time frame and with a history of college production to point to. Plus, there are financial conversations to be had.

Player 3: As soon as I entered the portal, my DMs started blowing up that night and it just kept going from there. It was definitely a cool experience. Coming out of high school, I didn’t get that kind of attention. It was cool to have these two very different recruiting experiences, going from being this guy who was really under the radar that no one knew about to being seen as a top guy in the portal.

Player 4: If I had to give a rough estimate, it’d be probably 20 to 25 schools.

Player 5: A LOT. Lots. Like maybe 60 or 70.

Player 1: At least 50. Probably more. The schools that I had multiple calls with and tried to maintain a relationship for at least a week or so were probably between 25 and 30.

Player 2: The first time (I transferred) I talked to 15 schools. The second time I kind of knew going in, so I had like four that I was talking to, but I probably talked to everybody. I talked to UConn. I never didn’t answer the phone.

Assistant coach 3: Portal recruiting is actually like speed dating.There are some advantages to it. You get straight to the brass tacks of it, right? Now, that’s the thing too with these portal kids. Instead of doing 72-hour visits, you’re doing 24-hour visits. Getting them in and out, showing them the depth chart, showing them the opportunities, talking about the NIL aspect and how they can take advantage of that. It’s more of a business model.

Reactions: jlazinger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News