ADVERTISEMENT

Really surprised College Gameday is going to Indy instead of Charlotte

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
MSU/Iowa is a quarterfinal but UNC/Clemson could be as well. Those are the highest caliber games this weekend but the fact that the ACC is on Saturday Night Football on ABC while the B10 is on FOX would make me think ESPN would want to promote its own game.

This is yet another shot at the ACC by ESPN. #1 12-0 vs #10 11-1. What more can they ask for?

The fact the Big Ten contract is coming up may play a small factor. Speculation in the media is that ESPN will be losing the Big Ten to Fox. I guess the purse strings at ESPN are being tighten.

1. The game in Indy is guaranteed to produce a Final Four team. The game in Charlotte is not.

2. Going to Indy gives ESPN exposure at BOTH games, and doesn't let the "other" network get everything on Saturday.
Given the choice, I get the Indy destination.

Reactions: pitt-girl
1. The game in Indy is guaranteed to produce a Final Four team. The game in Charlotte is not.

2. Going to Indy gives ESPN exposure at BOTH games, and doesn't let the "other" network get everything on Saturday.
Given the choice, I get the Indy destination.

According to SMF, ESPN hates the ACC, yet it is one of their greatest partners.

According to SMF, ESPN hates the ACC, yet it is one of their greatest partners.

Wait till you see the TV selection stats I post in a week or so. Terribe terrible TV coverage in what was a pretty good year for the league.

As for the upcoming BT contract, ESPN and Fox will partner on that like they did with the B12, P12, and MLS.

We'll see SMF per sportsbusiness daily fox is making a big push to get the entire package since fox already owns 50% of BTN. TV Sports is always interesting.

We'll see SMF per sportsbusiness daily fox is making a big push to get the entire package since fox already owns 50% of BTN. TV Sports is always interesting.

Sportsbusiness daily also just recently wrote that the likely outcome will be a split between the two. I think that's where it ends up.

Wait till you see the TV selection stats I post in a week or so. Terribe terrible TV coverage in what was a pretty good year for the league.

As for the upcoming BT contract, ESPN and Fox will partner on that like they did with the B12, P12, and MLS.

I think you look into things that aren't really there. I've been able to watch the vast majority of ACC games I wanted. So has most of the nation.

Reactions: WNYPanther
The Panthers good to know I'm not the only one who reads Sports Business Daily.

I think you look into things that aren't really there. I've been able to watch the vast majority of ACC games I wanted. So has most of the nation.
The only thing I don't like is how it seems that 75% of ACC games are played at noon.

The league needs to push for more 3:30 and primetime slots.

Not surprised at all. ESPN, who releases the playoff rankings, apparently thinks Carolina is nothing more than a mediocre football team at best. Only thing that's odd is GameDay is at a game that will be televised on FOX. I don't think there's ever been a game that GameDay was at that wasn't televised on ABC/ESPN family of networks.

Not surprised at all. ESPN, who releases the playoff rankings, apparently thinks Carolina is nothing more than a mediocre football team at best. Only thing that's odd is GameDay is at a game that will be televised on FOX. I don't think there's ever been a game that GameDay was at that wasn't televised on ABC/ESPN family of networks.

ESPN has no input on who makes the playoff or what the rankings are, in fact, a lot of their analyst think they should be higher.

ESPN has no input on who makes the playoff or what the rankings are, in fact, a lot of their analyst think they should be higher.
I stand corrected. I guess calling it the ESPN College Football Rankings is just them trying to take credit for doing nothing lol. Interesting then, I wonder if ESPN would've been dumb enough in a playoff ranking to have FSU ahead of UNC. OSU, Stanford, ND, teams like that there is an argument. FSU over UNC is the most criminal ranking in history.

I stand corrected. I guess calling it the ESPN College Football Rankings is just them trying to take credit for doing nothing lol. Interesting then, I wonder if ESPN would've been dumb enough in a playoff ranking to have FSU ahead of UNC. OSU, Stanford, ND, teams like that there is an argument. FSU over UNC is the most criminal ranking in history.

The official name is the College Football Playoff Rankings.

I have no problem with FSU over UNC. Better overall resume IMO.

The official name is the College Football Playoff Rankings.

I have no problem with FSU over UNC. Better overall resume IMO.
You are entitled to your own opinion. I'd much rather have a debate with someone than attack them for disagreeing. But I don't think FSU has much of a resume at all. Carolina can at least point to the fact they have been lighting up the scoreboard. Going by the eye test, Carolina is worlds better than FSU.

Also, the committee said they punished Carolina losing to 3-8 South Carolina. Well what about FSU losing to 3-8 Georgia Tech? And that wasn't the first game of the season and I also think if Spurrier coached the whole season So. Carolina wins at least 2 more games.

You are entitled to your own opinion. I'd much rather have a debate with someone than attack them for disagreeing. But I don't think FSU has much of a resume at all. Carolina can at least point to the fact they have been lighting up the scoreboard. Going by the eye test, Carolina is worlds better than FSU.

Also, the committee said they punished Carolina losing to 3-8 South Carolina. Well what about FSU losing to 3-8 Georgia Tech? And that wasn't the first game of the season and I also think if Spurrier coached the whole season So. Carolina wins at least 2 more games.

I wouldn't say they are worlds better. UNC's defense is garbage. They were damn lucky to get out of Blacksburg with a W.

I don't get why they are having ACC B1G and PAC championships allay the same time. They should have had one tonight. SECchampionship at 230 Saturday another game at 530 and final game at830.

FSU got credit for beating a top 30 Florida team, playing a close game with #1 Clemson, and having a better overall schedule.

They are one spot apart, and I have no problem where FSU is ranked.

I don't get why they are having ACC B1G and PAC championships allay the same time. They should have had one tonight. SECchampionship at 230 Saturday another game at 530 and final game at830.
Pac-12 used to have theirs on Friday night. Attendance was awful, so they stopped

I wouldn't say they are worlds better. UNC's defense is garbage. They were damn lucky to get out of Blacksburg with a W.
I will agree about UNC's defense. But have you seriously been impressed by FSU this season?

FSU got credit for beating a top 30 Florida team, playing a close game with #1 Clemson, and having a better overall schedule.
I can see that, but that is my personal problem with it. I don't think Florida is very good. They would've struggled to get 7 wins in any other division.

No. I haven't been impressed with FSU either. I think UNC and FSU would be a good competitive game.

I think Florida is very good defensively. It would be interesting to see where the Gators would be today if Will Grier was their QB through the entire season.

No. I haven't been impressed with FSU either. I think UNC and FSU would be a good competitive game.

I think Florida is very good defensively. It would be interesting to see where the Gators would be today if Will Grier was their QB through the entire season.
Fair assessment. Other than the fact I think Carolina is a vastly underrated team and FSU is not as good as the #9 team, I think we mostly agree here.

The economics of it is staggering. When you consider how many alumni each B1G school create each year x 12, the fan base expands at a larger rate than most other conferences (including ACC). I read the same thing regarding Fox being in play for the B1G on a more permanent basis. It's easy money for the network. Antihistamine money. And not to be sneezed at.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT