ADVERTISEMENT

Some of you are really not going to like this

Joe the Panther Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Jul 6, 2001
The Athletic polled a beat writer for each of the ACC teams (Chris Carter of the PG was the "Pitt" writer) and asked them who was going to win the ACC and to vote for a five member first team all ACC.

First off, every one of the 15 writers voted for Virginia. Probably not surprising, although it would have been nice to get one vote.

But in the voting for the all ACC team, there were two unanimous selections, Tyree Appleby and Armondo Bacot. The next highest vote total with 12 was Terquavion Smith. Next up with eight was Isaiah Wong. Then Hunter Tyson with seven. Then Kyle Filipowski with six. Then coming in seventh with five votes is our man Jamarius Burton.

Other players who got at least one vote were Reece Beekman, Norchad Omier, Kihei Clark and Jayden Gardner.

The Athletic polled a beat writer for each of the ACC teams (Chris Carter of the PG was the "Pitt" writer) and asked them who was going to win the ACC and to vote for a five member first team all ACC.

First off, every one of the 15 writers voted for Virginia. Probably not surprising, although it would have been nice to get one vote.

But in the voting for the all ACC team, there were two unanimous selections, Tyree Appleby and Armondo Bacot. The next highest vote total with 12 was Terquavion Smith. Next up with eight was Isaiah Wong. Then Hunter Tyson with seven. Then Kyle Filipowski with six. Then coming in seventh with five votes is our man Jamarius Burton.

Other players who got at least one vote were Reece Beekman, Norchad Omier, Kihei Clark and Jayden Gardner.
That is absurd, on the JB front at least.

Reactions: cabe23

I’m not sure, but the coaches are the ones who vote for the All-ACC teams, yes?

Reactions: UPitt '89

Doesn't bother me.... the awards aren't voted on by these beat writers.

Could you post their preseason ranking / predictions?

These were mine preseason that I posted on this forum as goals for this team and for Jeff Capel to keep his job.

1) Keep the 3 man class and sign them, especially Carrington. Mission accomplished

2) Challenge to Win 20 games. This will be mission accomplished.

3) Be in line to make the NCAA Tournament or at least be on the bubble. Mission accomplished.

This is what I said in bold on December 10th of last year when some people thought I was crazy. And the link is below.

"Any half decent legit power 6 team with an actual pulse and a half decent coach would absolutely clean up on a schedule like we have a head of us and stock pile some wins. And should we get a major talent in Dior back, it should be even easier to beat these teams. 10 wins is what Torvik currently predicts. That to me should be the bare minimum if Capel can actually Coach assuming no more injuries or team issues"

Im going to update this with new goals starting today

1) Win the Acc regular season and prove every coach, analyst, beat writer, poll voter, fan wrong. That should be enough satisfaction for Burton not being mentioned for POY by random beat writers.

2) Make a Run in the ACC Tournament

3) Win at least 1 game in the NCAA Tournament

4) Keep Dior and sign Meleek Thomas next year

As I pointed out, yes, they are. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the 15 people in this "survey" will also be voting for the end of the year ACC awards.
15 coaches and 63 media members.

This was 15 media members, not all of which will have a vote.

So more than 80% of the voters for the end of year awards are not represented in this survey.

15 coaches and 63 media members.

This was 15 media members, not all of which will have a vote.

So more than 80% of the voters for the end of year awards are not represented in this survey.

So you agree, these awards ARE being voted on by these writers.

From the same group probably who aren't voting Pitt in the top 25(except Chris C).

Well pretty disappointing. Guess Burton will be on the All-ACC second team. Wow.

Could you post their preseason ranking / predictions?

These were mine preseason that I posted on this forum as goals for this team and for Jeff Capel to keep his job.

1) Keep the 3 man class and sign them, especially Carrington. Mission accomplished

2) Challenge to Win 20 games. This will be mission accomplished.

3) Be in line to make the NCAA Tournament or at least be on the bubble. Mission accomplished.

This is what I said in bold on December 10th of last year when some people thought I was crazy. And the link is below.

"Any half decent legit power 6 team with an actual pulse and a half decent coach would absolutely clean up on a schedule like we have a head of us and stock pile some wins. And should we get a major talent in Dior back, it should be even easier to beat these teams. 10 wins is what Torvik currently predicts. That to me should be the bare minimum if Capel can actually Coach assuming no more injuries or team issues"

Im going to update this with new goals starting today

1) Win the Acc regular season and prove every coach, analyst, beat writer, poll voter, fan wrong. That should be enough satisfaction for Burton not being mentioned for POY by random beat writers.

2) Make a Run in the ACC Tournament

3) Win at least 1 game in the NCAA Tournament

4) Keep Dior and sign Meleek Thomas next year

Didn't you write during halftime of the Alabama State game that Pitt had to be point shaving and you've seen enough, fire Capel?

Last edited:
From the same group probably who aren't voting Pitt in the top 25(except Chris C).

Well pretty disappointing. Guess Burton will be on the All-ACC second team. Wow.

I firmly believe that a lot of people "think" Pitt is going to collapse to finish the season out. And when I mean a lot people, I mean bracketologists, fans, coaches, beat writers, poll voters etc..

• Sad
Reactions: PittPoker
Sid

Didn't you write during halftime of the Alabama State game that Pitt had to be point shaving and you've seen enough, fire Capel?

At that junction, yea, I said that. We were getting blown out by one of the worst teams in D1 basketball on our home floor going into halftime. It was also the worst half of basketball I have ever watched from any Pitt team, ever.

We are realizing the effects of being in a waste land for 7 years. Sad but true. Win a few more games and make the tournament and then beat a good team in the first round.

"these writers" likely represent 10-ish of the 78 voters. They aren't going to be deciding the winners.

Just out of curiosity, if you don't think that the team beat writers are going to be voting for the awards just who do you think does have a vote?

There's still the better part of three weeks to go and things will change, but if you really think that what the guys who are following the teams on a daily basis are currently thinking doesn't matter, well, I guess you are going to be one of those people who is shocked when Burton doesn't win Player of the Year.

Forward this to JB and the rest of the team ...

We are realizing the effects of being in a waste land for 7 years. Sad but true. Win a few more games and make the tournament and then beat a good team in the first round.
True, these "voters" are lazy, they aren't watching everything, they vote on previous perceptions, they see Pitt and think 11-21 Pitt first.

Reactions: Wanstash21
We don't need a P.O.Y.
We got the ACC team of the year!

Stuff that up their asses
I'd rather see 6 Pitt players on the 2nd, 3rd or Honorable Mention teams than have the POY.

Hopefully, any individual awards they receive will be looked at as mere icing on the cake when the season is over.

Reactions: Drew1208
Much like rankings, the acknowledgment of top players will be haunted by the sins of the ghosts of the past decade. Remember many voters are idiots like Ron Cook who are lazy, biased and dull witted. Use the disrespect to keep the chip on the shoulder and just keep winning.

True, these "voters" are lazy, they aren't watching everything, they vote on previous perceptions, they see Pitt and think 11-21 Pitt first.

Unlike Pitt fans, who don't just watch, they scrutinize every game that every team in the conference plays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT