ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting links - UPDATED

I don't know about you, but that seems like less than the average grad transfer to me.

Adding to Joe's post: In Sterling Smith's last 12 games he played 107 minutes

Last to First (Wisc back): 2 - 4 - 3 - 17 - 6 - 5 - 6 - 9 -10 - 12 - 11 - 22

It looks like Jamie also decided he was fairly ineffective.

Defensive stopper or not - He played the 2G or shooting guard - I can't help you if you don't believe your shooting guard needs to score more than the 9 points that Sterling scored over his last 12 games.

Maybe you just set a very low bar for what a average grad transfer is.

I have been intentionally staying out of everything right now but if you think that Sterling Smith and SHELDON JETER were disappointing or ineffective ACC recruits then I really can't do anything for you.

Smith was a totally average grad transfer and Jeter was an upper echelon two way forward.
I would be interested to hear what others on the board thought of Sheldon Jeter's Pitt career.

How many felt good about it? How many were basically satisfied? How many were somewhat disappointed?

Did you consider him an "upper echelon two way forward" ?

All responses are appreciated.

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear what others on the board thought of Sheldon Jeter's Pitt career.

How many felt good about it? How many were basically satisfied? How many were somewhat disappointed?

I liked him as a player, he was the best athlete on the team, imo was the only guy to play with toughness, fire and heart (at times).
The problem was that he was wildly inconsistent.
About a fourth of the time he was locked in and did a lot of damage.
The other 3/4 of the time he either was a complete nonfactor or was a marginal contributor.
I think he gave his best, but really hard to have a top 1/3 ACC team with him in the top 6.

Reactions: gary2 and FireballZ

He was not an upper echelon two way forward. I almost choked when I read that. I hope it was a joke. He would be a good bench guy for a Top 10 team, and I felt that way when we landed him.

Reactions: gary2
Agree - If Stallings can not recruit better (and I don't mean by recruiting rankings) than the ACC Dixon, he has no chance to succeed.

We have yet to see a Stallings recruit play at Pitt.

But we have seen Stallings coach. And his track record is poor, regardless of the level of player he does recruit.

I liked him as a player, he was the best athlete on the team, imo was the only guy to play with toughness, fire and heart (at times).
The problem was that he was wildly inconsistent.
About a fourth of the time he was locked in and did a lot of damage.
The other 3/4 of the time he either was a complete nonfactor or was a marginal contributor.
I think he gave his best, but really hard to have a top 1/3 ACC team with him in the top 6.

That is about how I felt about him. Never knowing what to expect (even his floor) was maddening.

Somebody posted that Jeter can be an effective scorer if someone can get him the ball in the right spots (for him) on the floor. I think that post was correct.

The problem with Jeter and other starters on last years team, was that they fancied themselves as something other than what they really were. They often played outside their talents and that was problematic.

As you point out, there were many games where Jeter was either a complete nonfactor or marginal contributor. You can live with that with a freshman or sophomore, but Jeter was a redshirt senior. I have to find that disappointing.

His good to great games are easily remembered because there were so few.

Last edited:
That is about how I felt about him. Never knowing what to expect (even his floor) was maddening.

Somebody posted that Jeter can be an effective scorer if someone can get him the ball in the right spots (for him) on the floor. I think that post was correct.

The problem with Jeter and pretty much all the other starters on last years team, was that they fancied themselves as something other than what they really were. They often played outside their talents and that was problematic.

As you point out, there were many games where Jeter was either a complete nonfactor or marginal contributor. He was a redshirt senior. I have to find that somewhat disappointing.

His good to great games are easily remembered because there were so few.

What I liked about Sheldon was that I felt he really tried to provide leadership and toughness last year.

I thought Sheldon was pretty decent defensively, or at least better than any other big. One of the things I liked about his defense is that he didn't switch off of his man as easily as others did. I realize that Stallings plays a switching defense, but I think too many times Panther defenders "just sort of gave up" on their man and gave him to someone else, leading to our being horrific defensively. It should also be noted that Sheldon really struggled with rotation when he first got to Pitt, so his strides in this regard are noteworthy.

Offensively, of course Sheldon was very inconsistent, especially with his jump shot. This was problematic because he never really developed many other weapons in his game.

But a good comparison for Sheldon is Tyrell Biggs, and I think Sheldon stacks up favorably with him. To that point, I suspect Sheldon would be a bit more appreciated by some if he played on a better Panther team.

But I'll remember Sheldon's senior year more fondly than any other senior. He grew up a great deal as a Panther over his time here, and became a better player and leader.

Reactions: gary2
I have been intentionally staying out of everything right now but if you think that Sterling Smith and SHELDON JETER were disappointing or ineffective ACC recruits then I really can't do anything for you.

Smith was a totally average grad transfer and Jeter was an upper echelon two way forward.
Point of information:

I wish Dixon had played Maia, S.Smith and even Randall more*at least give his 5 fouls). I thought they all had more to contribute than they were able to.

Last edited:
Except in the Wisconsin game!
Right - That was disappointing - If I remember right (a big if), it appeared Dixon intended to play Maia in that game - I believe he got in early foul trouble and never got into the flow - Dixon switched to Odoba and Maia played very little, if at all, after that.

Right - That was disappointing - If I remember right (a big if), it appeared Dixon intended to play Maia in that game - I believe he got in early foul trouble and never got into the flow - Dixon switched to Odoba and Maia played very little, if at all, after that.
If I'm not mistaken, Maia actually played more than Nelson Ododa in the game. (I'd have to go check to be sure.) But both of their minutes came at the expense of Luther.

If I'm not mistaken, Maia actually played more than Nelson Ododa in the game. (I'd have to go check to be sure.) But both of their minutes came at the expense of Luther.
Maia played 13 mins in the first half (Pitt up 22-16 at the half) and had 1 foul - Maia played 1 minute in the second half - Ended the game with 3 fouls (2 in one total minute of 2nd half play)

For the game: Maia 14 minutes, Odoba 13 and Luther 4.

One shot taken total by the three (Odoba)

To be sure - a very strange game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT