ADVERTISEMENT

recruiting or lack there of..........

88Pitt88

Freshman
Feb 12, 2016
Well it is official. With Arizona state getting a recent QB recruit, we are now the last P5 team without a single commitment. I still believe Duzz can get a good class but we need to get started here soon. We need to have a great year on the field so we can finish strong. Maybe we can get coach Capel to teach Duzz and his staff a few things about sales and relating to kids. I am sure Duzz could learn a few things from a guy who is recruiting what everyone has to agree, is very well, despite taking over a team that was 0-19 in conference play.

Would Capel be able to help Duzz out recruiting wise, say if in the offseason he tags along with Duzz on trips or "co-hosts" visits with recruits to show them what Pitt has to offer? If that is not against NCAA or ACC rules, I say that would really help with recruiting. Capel is probably the best recruiter in the country regardless of both basketball and football. Mix that in with Duzz's coaching abilities, that could change the recruiting game forever.

Usually there are a few locals who commit early and usually the kids from FL commit late in the process.

Without much talent in the WPIAL this year they seem to be more focused elsewhere.

How it plays out is a big question mark at this point but I'm guessing at least half of the class comes from down south.

Narduzzi can start by getting the hell out of Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Texas and California and fighting for scraps down there, like any kid with a high ceiling from there wants to go to Pitt or the ACC.

Get back to PA, OH, NJ, DMV, FL.

It's getting really bad. It doesn't feel like there's even a plan or groundwork laid out - who are our top targets right now?

Is Narduzzi really this bad at recruiting? What is the cause? Not relatable?

That’s part of the problem...who are the targets. It’s like they wait until other teams begin to fill up and reach out to kids who teams sour on.

Narduzzi can start by getting the hell out of Georgia, Alabama, Michigan, Texas and California and fighting for scraps down there, like any kid with a high ceiling from there wants to go to Pitt or the ACC.

Get back to PA, OH, NJ, DMV, FL.

Pitt needs to build on the back of PA kids. Fine, the WPIAL isn’t what it once was, but there are very few kids PSU is recruiting in PA this year. Pitt should be cleaning up in PA. There are a number of very good 3 star players in state it doesn’t even seem like Pitt is recruiting.

Pitt needs to build on the back of PA kids. Fine, the WPIAL isn’t what it once was, but there are very few kids PSU is recruiting in PA this year. Pitt should be cleaning up in PA. There are a number of very good 3 star players in state it doesn’t even seem like Pitt is recruiting.

Narduzzi is Italian and stubborn.

Reactions: blair10
OMG.....the sky is falling....relax fellas. As long as he gets a good portion of the guys he wants does it matter when they commit? There will be at least 3 commits in the next 2 weeks. They will all be 3 star guys so that will put us back in the pack.

OMG.....the sky is falling....relax fellas. As long as he gets a good portion of the guys he wants does it matter when they commit? There will be at least 3 commits in the next 2 weeks. They will all be 3 star guys so that will put us back in the pack.
I sure hope so........... I also hope those 3 stars your claiming is coming our way. Have a lot of other offers from successful programs. Pitt getting a 3 star where Pitt is their best offer doesn’t move the needle.

It's getting really bad. It doesn't feel like there's even a plan or groundwork laid out - who are our top targets right now?

Show me the offer sheets, not the star rankings.

I have no doubt that Narduzzi will fill the 2018 class. I have considerable doubt as to whether that will be with mid-high ACC level prospects. When Pitt is the best or one of the best couple of offers on a guy’s sheet, that’s not gonna cut it. Pitt will never get across the mediocrity threshold without an overall personnel upgrade.

Last season was miserable, embarrassing-at times the coaches didn’t appear to know what they were doing particularly with personnel use—and this is the fallout.

1. Anyone who isn’t concerned about the current recruiting situation is delusional;

2. Apparently the off-season coaching staff changes didn’t work our so well from the recruiting standpoint.

Wasn't every recruit supposed to be clamoring to play in a professional football stadium where the Steelers play?

I am starting to think that without a big year on the field, we will not be able to close on solid recruits who wait until later in the process to make their decision. That has been Narduzzi's MO since he has been here. However, since we haven't started the 2019 class and we are headed to the middle of June, and since the WPIAL and PA in general are weak, I have a hard time believing we will finish really well recruiting in places that are not traditional for us.

Things should be improving now that Duzz is in his 4th season. If we don't have a nice year, we might be recruiting leftovers and kids with MAC offers like we were when the Fraud was here.

I am starting to think that without a big year on the field, we will not be able to close on solid recruits who wait until later in the process to make their decision. That has been Narduzzi's MO since he has been here. However, since we haven't started the 2019 class and we are headed to the middle of June, and since the WPIAL and PA in general are weak, I have a hard time believing we will finish really well recruiting in places that are not traditional for us.

Things should be improving now that Duzz is in his 4th season. If we don't have a nice year, we might be recruiting leftovers and kids with MAC offers like we were when the Fraud was here.
Year 4 and Narduzzi is still not a solid recruiter. James Franklin is obnoxious but he can recruit. Look at Pitt's history. Even Wannstedt was winning big in year four.

Frankly, the "MO" has been to get some more highly rated kids who waited to see if they could get spots with their top choices and then get them when they don't open up and we have developed a relationship as a secondary option.

Reactions: cashisking884
The problem I see is our recruiting coordinator is garbage and the coaching hires made in the off season has not helped at all so far. Those hires had to be made driven by how well a guy can recruit. Which had a proven track record in doing so. That falls on Narduzzi ‘s lap.

When he was looking for coaches in the off season. The number one criteria he should of looked for is does a certain coach have a area and track record of selling and closing that area.

He should of hired coaches like Wanny did in Hafley. He was VERY WELL connected in the Jersey Catholic leagues. They loved him. He was getting kids from Jersey who had offers from all the big boys. Narduzzi doesn’t have one except for Partridge

Reactions: daminals76 and cgm
Like who? I’m not debating you. I’d be curious to hear some names of kids in PA that are getting D1 offers that we are not going after.

Fraud had one full recruiting cycle at Pitt. He had four 4 stars in that only full class and some high quality 3 Stars. He’s hardly the best example of Pitt recruiting futility.

Reactions: BFo8
It's looking like more than half of this year's class will be from the South.

Usually there are a few locals who commit early and usually the kids from FL commit late in the process.

Without much talent in the WPIAL this year they seem to be more focused elsewhere.

How it plays out is a big question mark at this point but I'm guessing at least half of the class comes from down south.

Last edited:
Reactions: Parkview57
1. Anyone who isn’t concerned about the current recruiting situation is delusional;

2. Apparently the off-season coaching staff changes didn’t work our so well from the recruiting standpoint.

Easy to pile on now, I know, but this didn't age well.

Well it is official. With Arizona state getting a recent QB recruit, we are now the last P5 team without a single commitment. I still believe Duzz can get a good class but we need to get started here soon. We need to have a great year on the field so we can finish strong. Maybe we can get coach Capel to teach Duzz and his staff a few things about sales and relating to kids. I am sure Duzz could learn a few things from a guy who is recruiting what everyone has to agree, is very well, despite taking over a team that was 0-19 in conference play.
Ninny.

If you are going to rely on WPIAL players, switch your allegiance to Toledo.

Reactions: FireballZ
If you are going to rely on WPIAL players, switch your allegiance to Toledo.
For all of you who make thinks up and convince yourself that you know something. Well you just got hit with a haymaker and from here on out you guys will be put in the land of make believe. If you only had facts you would the be creditable

Reactions: PANTHERAN
I think the plan is working out just fine..

Reactions: Chomp_Panther66
When I read something like this, I liken it to a kid wondering why Christmas can't be every month. When Easter is the next day.

Would Capel be able to help Duzz out recruiting wise, say if in the offseason he tags along with Duzz on trips or "co-hosts" visits with recruits to show them what Pitt has to offer? If that is not against NCAA or ACC rules, I say that would really help with recruiting. Capel is probably the best recruiter in the country regardless of both basketball and football. Mix that in with Duzz's coaching abilities, that could change the recruiting game forever.

Have you ever heard of Urban Meyer, Nick Sabin , and a lot more in both sports. How about some guy that coaches Duke basketball. SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE.

When I read something like this, I liken it to a kid wondering why Christmas can't be every month. When Easter is the next day.
It's nice to have a day like yesterday, but, is this the foundation for a class that will help us win 9 to 10 games? I think it is similar to last years and will keep the program in the status quo. (6-8 wins) You can all rejoice, but, most of you know, but are unwilling to admit, we need better than this to upgrade the progam. Duzz has had some time, Will there ever be a day when 4 star players are interested in PITT again?

We will have more players from Florida in this class than PA, literally. I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

You might want to consider that a post like this isn't going to rehabilitate your message board image. When status quo is making you look like an idiot; doubling down is twicely idiotic. I realize responding to your message will not upgrade your ability to post logical messages but hopefully you can learn from your mistakes and improve.

It's nice to have a day like yesterday, but, is this the foundation for a class that will help us win 9 to 10 games? I think it is similar to last years and will keep the program in the status quo. (6-8 wins) You can all rejoice, but, most of you know, but are unwilling to admit, we need better than this to upgrade the progam. Duzz has had some time, Will there ever be a day when 4 star players are interested in PITT again?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT