ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining schedule

They stopped coming during Dixon 2. As I said, unless the team has a semi-realstic chance to win a NC, Yinzers arent getting off the couch. For Pitt basketball to have any relevance in this city, yinzers need to see extreme winning. Dixon 2 and Capel 2 isnt going to make them attend games.

Can you blame them?

Listen. We went to the Round of 32, returned Hinson and Fede and had a few other pieces. They were expected to contend for an NCAA bid. For yinzers, that isnt good enough. They'll watch it on TV. They need to be Top 10 to get people off the couch

Contending for a NCAAT bid isn't good enough to bring out the casual fans at a lot of places, not just Pitt.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Contending for a NCAAT bid isn't good enough to bring out the casual fans at a lot of places, not just Pitt.

Disagree. Contending for an NCAA bid brings in pretty good crowds just about everywhere. Look at Clemson, VT, and Wake in recent years. Heck, when PSU gets to the bubble once a decade, their fans stop watching Nova and Duke for a couple months and start going to the Sandusky BJ Center.

Disagree. Contending for an NCAA bid brings in pretty good crowds just about everywhere. Look at Clemson, VT, and Wake in recent years. Heck, when PSU gets to the bubble once a decade, their fans stop watching Nova and Duke for a couple months and start going to the Sandusky BJ Center.
Depends on the context…the teams you referenced were complete garbage before their recent improvement. Pitt, on the other hand, went from BE Bully and regular member of the top 25 to completely irrelevant for a decade because of complete administrative incompetence ticking off thousands of season ticket holders….completely different situatio.

Survive and Advance. Now 9-1 is needed. Should beat ND at home so 8-1 gets more manageable. Beat ND and then go to Raleigh and win and then get a week off and 7-1 suddenly seems more manageable. We'd have to take 2 or 3 @ UVa, Wake, and Clemson and then win all of the more winnable games (Lou, VT, FSU, NC St, @ BC will be tricky). But if we can beat ND and @ NC St, we can at least dream.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Survive and Advance. Now 9-1 is needed. Should beat ND at home so 8-1 gets more manageable. Beat ND and then go to Raleigh and win and then get a week off and 7-1 suddenly seems more manageable. We'd have to take 2 or 3 @ UVa, Wake, and Clemson and then win all of the more winnable games (Lou, VT, FSU, NC St, @ BC will be tricky). But if we can beat ND and @ NC St, we can at least dream.
9-1 won’t happen, 7-3 is doable.

9-1 won’t happen, 7-3 is doable.

7-3 wont do it though. If we go 8-2, my hope is we'd draw the 6 seed to avoid Duke/UNC early. Beat the 11. Beat the 3. Then you get a play-in game vs Duke or UNC in the semifinal. Or maybe they already lost and you can win that game and make the final. I think a 24-11/12-8 Pitt team can get back to Dayton.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
7-3 wont do it though. If we go 8-2, my hope is we'd draw the 6 seed to avoid Duke/UNC early. Beat the 11. Beat the 3. Then you get a play-in game vs Duke or UNC in the semifinal. Or maybe they already lost and you can win that game and make the final. I think a 24-11/12-8 Pitt team can get back to Dayton.

As much as I'd like to see it, we're not winning 11 more games including the ACCT. It's not happening. If we win 8 more, it will be massive overachieving for this team. Have you seen them play? I think realistic and expected is maybe 6 more wins + 1 in the ACCT.

As much as I'd like to see it, we're not winning 11 more games including the ACCT. It's not happening. If we win 8 more, it will be massive overachieving for this team. Have you seen them play? I think realistic and expected is maybe 6 more wins + 1 in the ACCT.
Yes, we have watched them play. In the last 4 games they have A Q1A win (at Duke), a Q2 road win (GT), a Q2 home win (Wake), and a close Q1 road loss (Miami). I am not saying 9-1 would happen, but they already have a solid road/neutral rec (4-2; 1-1), and depending on where syracuse falls, just one quad 3 loss (as of this morning), but it will fluctuate between one and 2. As long as they avoid losing to ND and Louisville, they can remain in the conversation through the ACC tourney. This is a different team than a few weeks ago, and they are probably going to run Lowe, Bub, Hinson, Ish, Will into the ground. Austin, Fede, GDG likely to back up roles and need to contribute.

Reactions: Zepley09
Yes, we have watched them play. In the last 4 games they have A Q1A win (at Duke), a Q2 road win (GT), a Q2 home win (Wake), and a close Q1 road loss (Miami). I am not saying 9-1 would happen, but they already have a solid road/neutral rec (4-2; 1-1), and depending on where syracuse falls, just one quad 3 loss (as of this morning), but it will fluctuate between one and 2. As long as they avoid losing to ND and Louisville, they can remain in the conversation through the ACC tourney. This is a different team than a few weeks ago, and they are probably going to run Lowe, Bub, Hinson, Ish, Will into the ground. Austin, Fede, GDG likely to back up roles and need to contribute.

So as I said, realistically 6 more wins + 1 in the ACCT, getting us to 20 total wins, I believe. Their road games @ WF, @Clemson, @NCState, @UVA, @BC aren't gimmes and they will lose some of those. I see us winning home games against 'Ville, ND, and VT. So of those road games, we need 3 more wins. That's possible, but it won't be easy. Never is on the road. And don't forget the usual "bite you in the ass" game that we're supposed to win but don't.

I'm not really paying attention to Q this and Q that. I'm old school and just enjoy watching them play and develop.

This is like Apollo 13, a million things need to happen and we’re on step 4. Just keep winning

That's the rub. We have to beat ND first. With this Pitt team, you never know. ND is bad, and we just had a huge, emotional comeback against a good WF team. I'm hoping there isn't a letdown in Sat. It's the only game that matters now.

This is like Apollo 13, a million things need to happen and we’re on step 4. Just keep winning

Well, not really. We just need to win a bunch of games. Dont need to worry about others. 9-1 gives us 3-4 Quad 1s, a NET in the 40s. Are we going to do that? No. But just saying.

Yes, I know. I don’t think we will make it.

I think it's unrealistic to think this team could win three games in a row in three consecutive days, with zero bench. Hinson might have a heart attack.

I think it's unrealistic to think this team could win three games in a row in three consecutive days, with zero bench.

Obviously. We arent going to go 9-1 or 8-2. Probably 5-4 or 4-5. But until we lose our 3rd game from now until the end of the regular season, we can dream. And that's part of the fun. We are 0-19 not long ago and coming off of self-imposed probation, we made the NCAAT last year and have at least a prayer this year in February. So I am grateful we are back to Dixon 2 levels

The NIT may be an ACC mini tourney minus Duke and UNC. Avoiding losses to ND and Lville likely nearly lock up an NIt spot.

The NIT may be an ACC mini tourney minus Duke and UNC. Avoiding losses to ND and Lville likely nearly lock up an NIt spot.

Yea. Might be fun actually. Clemson is kinda solid in the NCAAT due to their 33 NET and 3 Q1 wins but they cant completely fold up. So you could have Pitt, Syr, UVa, VT, Wake, NC St, BC, and FSU all in the NIT. Could have an entire 8 team side of the bracket as an ACC mini tourney.

Need to go 10-1. Or 11-2 plus a run in ACCT. Chances of this happening are less than 1%. Just hoping we can get to 8 and NIT.

Wake - L, we wont match their 3 point shooting

ND - win

@ NC St - L

@ UVa - L we wont get to 60

Lou - win

@ Wake - L

VT - win

@ Clem - should just save the airfare and say everyone has Covid

@ BC - depressing L in a board meltdown game. Post will have 25

FSU - L

NC St - Win

7-13
"We won't match their 3 point shooting" LOL

Reactions: pittbb80
Nice work, only took 16 minutes to think of an excuse for being wrong.

Also, I thought Monsanto was fully back. He is one of the best shooters in the nation but only had 6 points on 1 official shot (made 3 FTs one the other). But, listen, I thought they'd outshoot us and they did in the beginning but we battled back and outshot them 42% to 27%. We've talked about Will's contributions but remember these games almost always come down to the 3 point shooting contest. 15% is a pretty big discrepancy. I believe we only have 1 loss this year when outshooting by 10% and haven't won when being outshot by 10%

Yea. Might be fun actually. Clemson is kinda solid in the NCAAT due to their 33 NET and 3 Q1 wins but they cant completely fold up. So you could have Pitt, Syr, UVa, VT, Wake, NC St, BC, and FSU all in the NIT. Could have an entire 8 team side of the bracket as an ACC mini tourney.

Clemson. 😂

Clemson. 😂

Clemson is doing their best to make sure the ACC is a 2 bid league. But their NET is so good and they have 3 Q1 wins so they really have to collapse to not make it. They beat Boise and South Carolina on Halloween and that may be all it takes.

Clemson is doing their best to make sure the ACC is a 2 bid league. But their NET is so good and they have 3 Q1 wins so they really have to collapse to not make it. They beat Boise and South Carolina on Halloween and that may be all it takes.
Virginia is hot, I think they'll be in. Wake is right next to them in NET but moving the wrong way.

Reactions: MVPitt
Pitt stands at 3-6 in the ACC, obviously 11 games remaining. For us to be put on the bubble, could we go 10-1 or 9-2 or 8-3 with at least one upset win. Duke/Miami proved we can play with anyone. 10-1 would get us in imo.

Wake - big one but I think Pitt gets this one
ND - Think they get this one too
@ NC State - kind of same boat, same level of talent - toss up
@ Virginia - not really that good, if we can get hot early would make it tough for them to come back
Louisville - win
@ Wake - probably the make or break game to get to 12 wins
VT - win
@ Clemson - counting this one as a loss but maybe we luck out like v Duke
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

it's definitely possible looking at this schedule to go on a run if they can keep playing like they did on the road trip. It's a matter of no one stealing bids and a lot of things bouncing their way.
IMO. The three critical games are at NcSt @ uva and @ wake with the at NC St likely being the most important from a momentum and confidence standpoint

Win at NC St and I think they take one of the other two and have a great shot at finishing with just two losses.

It’s just good that they are still in contention and playing meaningful games. Hope that continues

IMO. The three critical games are at NcSt @ uva and @ wake with the at NC St likely being the most important from a momentum and confidence standpoint

Win at NC St and I think they take one of the other two and have a great shot at finishing with just two losses.

It’s just good that they are still in contention and playing meaningful games. Hope that continues

It all starts with NC State, really. Win that, and it starts to get real. We'd need to finish 7-1 and at that point, winning 2 out of 3 on the road vs UVa, Wake, BC and then all the home games doesnt seem totally impossible. Unlikely but semi-doable. If you beat NC State and then go down to Charlottesville and win, it would almost seem like we SHOULD finish 6-1 or better and make the NCAAT

Pitt stands at 3-6 in the ACC, obviously 11 games remaining. For us to be put on the bubble, could we go 10-1 or 9-2 or 8-3 with at least one upset win. Duke/Miami proved we can play with anyone. 10-1 would get us in imo.

Wake - big one but I think Pitt gets this one
ND - Think they get this one too
@ NC State - kind of same boat, same level of talent - toss up
@ Virginia - not really that good, if we can get hot early would make it tough for them to come back
Louisville - win
@ Wake - probably the make or break game to get to 12 wins
VT - win
@ Clemson - counting this one as a loss but maybe we luck out like v Duke
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

it's definitely possible looking at this schedule to go on a run if they can keep playing like they did on the road trip. It's a matter of no one stealing bids and a lot of things bouncing their way.
look at all the naysayers to my positivity.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT