ADVERTISEMENT

Remaining schedule

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Pitt stands at 3-6 in the ACC, obviously 11 games remaining. For us to be put on the bubble, could we go 10-1 or 9-2 or 8-3 with at least one upset win. Duke/Miami proved we can play with anyone. 10-1 would get us in imo.

Wake - big one but I think Pitt gets this one
ND - Think they get this one too
@ NC State - kind of same boat, same level of talent - toss up
@ Virginia - not really that good, if we can get hot early would make it tough for them to come back
Louisville - win
@ Wake - probably the make or break game to get to 12 wins
VT - win
@ Clemson - counting this one as a loss but maybe we luck out like v Duke
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

it's definitely possible looking at this schedule to go on a run if they can keep playing like they did on the road trip. It's a matter of no one stealing bids and a lot of things bouncing their way.

Pitt stands at 3-6 in the ACC, obviously 11 games remaining. For us to be put on the bubble, could we go 10-1 or 9-2 or 8-3 with at least one upset win. Duke/Miami proved we can play with anyone. 10-1 would get us in imo.

@ Virginia - not really that good, if we can get hot early would make it tough for them to come back
Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

it's definitely possible looking at this schedule to go on a run if they can keep playing like they did on the road trip. It's a matter of no one stealing bids and a lot of things bouncing their way.
Possible but not probable. Too many inconsistencies. But you never know. The loss to Miami was crushing.

Just sucks there is no room for error now. Really needed at least one of the Syracuse games and Missouri.
mizzou and one of the Cuse's wouldv'e put them still in the convo without a run.

My point is that other teams' have made runs like this before where they had an expected piece step up (Lowe) and a favorable schedule. IF we get Carrington back to original form, maybe it happens to us for once.

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

Need to go 10-1. Or 11-2 plus a run in ACCT. Chances of this happening are less than 1%. Just hoping we can get to 8 and NIT.

Wake - L, we wont match their 3 point shooting

ND - win

@ NC St - L

@ UVa - L we wont get to 60

Lou - win

@ Wake - L

VT - win

@ Clem - should just save the airfare and say everyone has Covid

@ BC - depressing L in a board meltdown game. Post will have 25

FSU - L

NC St - Win

7-13

Lots of what appear to be winnable games, but this team just isn’t good or consistent enough. When shots are falling they can win. But that likely isn’t sustainable over 11 games to even go 8-3.

The problem with this team, and what fooled us early, is this team doesn't do one thing consistently well.

Shooting - wildly inconsistent
Rebounding- bad
Defense - wont guard 3 point shooters

Last year, our defense and rebounding werent great but we had better scoring options with Burton and Elliot and at this point, Nelly is better than Lowe.

Need to go 10-1. Or 11-2 plus a run in ACCT. Chances of this happening are less than 1%. Just hoping we can get to 8 and NIT.

Wake - L, we wont match their 3 point shooting

ND - win

@ NC St - L

@ UVa - L we wont get to 60

Lou - win

@ Wake - L

VT - win

@ Clem - should just save the airfare and say everyone has Covid

@ BC - depressing L in a board meltdown game. Post will have 25

FSU - L

NC St - Win

7-13
damn. That's a depressing outlook. I was looking forward to you talking me into wins and the tournament

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

for some reason after I read this Gary Wright's Dream Weaver kept playing in my head...

Reactions: Seneca_Valley
I'd sign up for 6-5 right now. Finish 18-14 or 19-14, depending on whether or not we won an ACC Tournament game, and get ready for the NIT.

5-6 or worse would likely mean no NIT.

damn. That's a depressing outlook. I was looking forward to you talking me into wins and the tournament

When I post those things, I post what is theoretically possible. Its possible we could go 10-1. But the chances of that are less than 1% like I said. We just dont do anything well enough consistently. If we were an elite shooting team but couldn't defend or rebound, you could say well, maybe we go on a torrid run of shooting 3s. If we were an elite defensive/rebounding team, maybe we could go on a run. But we just dont do anything well enough. Very flawed team. Holding out hope for the NIT though.

When I post those things, I post what is theoretically possible. Its possible we could go 10-1. But the chances of that are less than 1% like I said. We just dont do anything well enough consistently. If we were an elite shooting team but couldn't defend or rebound, you could say well, maybe we go on a torrid run of shooting 3s. If we were an elite defensive/rebounding team, maybe we could go on a run. But we just dont do anything well enough. Very flawed team. Holding out hope for the NIT though.
Ahhhh your typical I'm taking all angles to claim a W post. Makes sense.

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

I think that's a little too much on the optimistic side. It's going to be interesting to see how it plays out, because none of these teams have really shown much consistency.

I think Pitt gets 5 or 6 more wins.

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

win at home and see what happens .

No reason not to go at least 5-1 at home in these final 6. Beat Wake and finish 6-0.

starting 0-4 at home in conference play is kind of ridiculous-

win at home and see what happens .

No reason not to go at least 5-1 at home in these final 6. Beat Wake and finish 6-0.

starting 0-4 at home in conference play is kind of ridiculous-

I have a theory that the depressing home crowd environment adversely affects our play. The Zoo has been good but no one else is there. There will be 2500 regular fans there Wednesday night. And say what you want, that is completely unacceptable. I flipped around and saw full arenas in urban arenas at Davidson, UAB, VCU, etc. This city wants nothing to do with Pitt basketball unless we have a chance to win it all.

we’ve been woeful at home. I can’t recall a non stallings season where we’ve lost so much at home. Even Capels first year had upsets of fsu and Louisville and some games to hang your hat on

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

I would think at least 9-2 is needed and it could happen. But this team has too many bad shooting periods to expect it.

Have to beat WF on Wed.

we’ve been woeful at home. I can’t recall a non stallings season where we’ve lost so much at home. Even Capels first year had upsets of fsu and Louisville and some games to hang your hat on

I think the crowds that 1st and 2nd year were better. Cant say that for sure though because the attendance numbers are all made up.

I would think at least 9-2 is needed and it could happen. But this team has too many bad shooting periods to expect it.

Have to beat WF on Wed.

I agree that we need 9 wins to get close to a tournament. We need to win all of our home games or only lose 1 at most, then win a few on the road including one we aren't expected to win.

Reactions: PittMBA

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

Great troll post masquerading as being a positive one. You're usually better than this, but this is SMF-level bad.

The problem with this team, and what fooled us early, is this team doesn't do one thing consistently well.

Shooting - wildly inconsistent
Rebounding- bad
Defense - wont guard 3 point shooters

Last year, our defense and rebounding werent great but we had better scoring options with Burton and Elliot and at this point, Nelly is better than Lowe.
Pitt is 31st in the country in 3-pt % defense; 33rd in rebounding; 43rd in rebound rate. Pretty solid numbers.

Each game is basically a must win. I have been a nervous wreck each game lately.

I wonder if the team is any tighter or feels the pressure or if it is just us fans.

Pitt is 31st in the country in 3-pt % defense; 33rd in rebounding; 43rd in rebound rate. Pretty solid numbers.

I would want to see the numbers in just P6 games though.

3 point % in losses:

Florida: 33.3
Pitt 29.4

Mizzou 36.4
Pitt 28%

Clemson 36.7
Pitt 34.8

Pitt: 40%
Syr: 17.6%

This was one of the most low key bizarre games in history as they gave up 42 points to 3 bench players on layups and dunks.

UNC 29.4%
Pitt 17.2%

Duke 44
Pitt 33

Syr 58.8
Pitt 19.2

Miami 32.3
Pitt 30.6

I would want to see the numbers in just P6 games though.

3 point % in losses:

Florida: 33.3
Pitt 29.4

Mizzou 36.4
Pitt 28%

Clemson 36.7
Pitt 34.8

Pitt: 40%
Syr: 17.6%

This was one of the most low key bizarre games in history as they gave up 42 points to 3 bench players on layups and dunks.

UNC 29.4%
Pitt 17.2%

Duke 44
Pitt 33

Syr 58.8
Pitt 19.2

Miami 32.3
Pitt 30.6
At this point, Pitt has played 13 of its 20 games against P6 opponents, so the numbers are mostly representative of play at that level. And since every other team is in the same situation, it should not effect these comparative rankings very much.

At this point, Pitt has played 13 of its 20 games against P6 opponents, so the numbers are mostly representative of play at that level. And since every other team is in the same situation, it should not effect these comparative rankings very much.

Maybe. The bigger issue is 3 point shooting probably. Outshot in 7 out our 8 losses and in the one loss we crushed the opponent from 3, we allowed 60% from 2.

Louisville - win
VT - win
@ BC - win
FSU - win
NC State - win

These games are evidence that the talent is there. Other games are evidence that the youth leads to pretty wild swing in consistency.

They should go over .500 in those 11. Regardless, I still find this team fun to watch. Hopefully they figure out a way to keep the remaining key parts an add two in the off season.

I would feel better if Hinson would regain more consistency. AND...Hinson fully embrace the Greg Elliott role of last year and just stay on the perimeter. He is a disaster everytime he puts the ball on the floor and drives to the hoop. A disaster. I can see occasionally posting up mismatches, but none of this take it to the rack because Blake, despite your range, the reason you are still playing college BB at the age of 25 is you have the athleticism of well, me.

I have a theory that the depressing home crowd environment adversely affects our play. The Zoo has been good but no one else is there. There will be 2500 regular fans there Wednesday night. And say what you want, that is completely unacceptable. I flipped around and saw full arenas in urban arenas at Davidson, UAB, VCU, etc. This city wants nothing to do with Pitt basketball unless we have a chance to win it all.
Win it all? How about we wait until Pitt shows it can beat a Div 1 team on their own floor and play consistent quality hoops for an entire game before we crucify the fans. This team has layed an egg in every home game against a decent opponent and managed to deflate the fans with their play on the road every time they returned home. Been happening a solid decade now….great way to absolutely kill attendance no matter how rabid the fan base.

Win it all? How about we wait until Pitt shows it can beat a Div 1 team on their own floor and play consistent quality hoops for an entire game before we crucify the fans. This team has layed an egg in every home game against a decent opponent and managed to deflate the fans with their play on the road every time they returned home. Been happening a solid decade now….great way to absolutely kill attendance no matter how rabid the fan base.

They stopped coming during Dixon 2. As I said, unless the team has a semi-realstic chance to win a NC, Yinzers arent getting off the couch. For Pitt basketball to have any relevance in this city, yinzers need to see extreme winning. Dixon 2 and Capel 2 isnt going to make them attend games.

We went to the Round of 32 and were a shot away from winning the ACC. We returned our leading scorer, and our Center who had a really good year last year. Leggett was a good transfer piece on paper averaging a lot of points in the A10. There was enough there to make Pitt fans think we could make the NCAAT again. And even now, we have a really good chance to make the NIT. That should be enough to bring out more than 3000 people tomorrow night but it wont

Well, I wouldn't go so far as saying we have a really good chance of making the NIT. We'd have to win all of our home games and at least 2 away games to have a chance to make the NIT. And that isn't a guarantee depending on who we beat. Getting to the NCAAT bubble requires us to do the above plus win at least 4 away games and/or win 2 or more games in the ACCT. It's a tall order for this team with no inside presence and inconsistent play.

They stopped coming during Dixon 2. As I said, unless the team has a semi-realstic chance to win a NC, Yinzers arent getting off the couch. For Pitt basketball to have any relevance in this city, yinzers need to see extreme winning. Dixon 2 and Capel 2 isnt going to make them attend games.
Little hyperbole on your part…legitimate chance to chance to win a NC? Please…other than 2009, that never was realistic but attendance was still solid. Under Howland and Dixon 1, the product was exciting, the BE produced great matchups and the opening of the Pete increased the positive vibe. During Dixon 2, the product steadily deteriorated, particularly offensively, and Pitt’s goals went from ncaa appearances and challenging for BE championships to nit and cbl appearances…that’s a pretty big drop off. Then came the ACC, Stallings and the roller coaster tenure of Capel…..10 years of meh!

Game attendance is a habit….customers find a reason to break the habit, and you have to give them good reason to return or forget it. The last 10 years has only served to re-enforce people’s reasons for not returning…with the exception of last year, which was treated by the fans as interesting but an anomaly. Had Pitt picked up where they left off last year with this year’s team, people would have taken note and slowly returned but that hasn’t been the case. Pittsburgh isn’t as bad a hoops town as some folks make it out to be. Gotta give people a reason to get off the couch! They ain’t showing up to see a team lose 68-58 to middling power conference teams. and shoot 35% from the field.

Little hyperbole on your part…legitimate chance to chance to win a NC? Please…other than 2009, that never was realistic but attendance was still solid. Under Howland and Dixon 1, the product was exciting, the BE produced great matchups and the opening of the Pete increased the positive vibe. During Dixon 2, the product steadily deteriorated, particularly offensively, and Pitt’s goals went from ncaa appearances and challenging for BE championships to nit and cbl appearances…that’s a pretty big drop off. Then came the ACC, Stallings and the roller coaster tenure of Capel…..10 years of meh!

Game attendance is a habit….customers find a reason to break the habit, and you have to give them good reason to return or forget it. The last 10 years has only served to re-enforce people’s reasons for not returning…with the exception of last year, which was treated by the fans as interesting but an anomaly. Had Pitt picked up where they left off last year with this year’s team, people would have taken note and slowly returned but that hasn’t been the case. Pittsburgh isn’t as bad a hoops town as some folks make it out to be. Gotta give people a reason to get off the couch! They ain’t showing up to see a team lose 68-58 to middling power conference teams. and shoot 35% from the field.

I wouldn't say Capel's tenure has been a roller coaster unless you like roller coasters with a lot of low level riding and one little hill.

Reactions: Pitt_Blitz
I wouldn't say Capel's tenure has been a roller coaster unless you like roller coasters with a lot of low level riding and one little hill.
I was trying to be a little positive…yea, the peaks have been modest…the drama at times has been over the top.

We were 5-1 with a loss to Florida and 19 people showed up for a home game to Missouri, another team who made the NCAAT last year. Why? Pitt was only expected to be good, not National Championship-quality good.

We were 5-1 with a loss to Florida and 19 people showed up for a home game to Missouri, another team who made the NCAAT last year. Why? Pitt was only expected to be good, not National Championship-quality good.
Was Pitt expected to be good? That’’s another exaggeration……..they were expected to be a question mark. Everyone had their fingers crossed. Florida…first decent opponent…Pitt lays a big egg, plays Missouri and lays a bigger egg, and continues to do so through today. Pitt is NOT good, and their record and performances largely reflect that. Had Pitt beat Miami, I would have expected a pretty good crowd tomorrow night…but not now.

Was Pitt expected to be good? That’’s another exaggeration……..they were expected to be a question mark. Everyone had their fingers crossed. Florida…first decent opponent…Pitt lays a big egg, plays Missouri and lays a bigger egg, and continues to do so through today. Pitt is NOT good, and their record and performances largely reflect that. Had Pitt beat Miami, I would have expected a pretty good crowd tomorrow night…but not now.

Listen. We went to the Round of 32, returned Hinson and Fede and had a few other pieces. They were expected to contend for an NCAA bid. For yinzers, that isnt good enough. They'll watch it on TV. They need to be Top 10 to get people off the couch

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT