ADVERTISEMENT

Report: Pitt hires WR Coach

Hence the point……

However Pitt was presented with an opportunity to hire a couple of coaches with some recruiting prowess in fertile recruiting areas. That didn’t happen. So it’s only fair to question their ability to recruit when they don’t have a track record at this level.

Let’s wait and see, but I’m apprehensive until we see otherwise.
I disagree. It is not "fair" to question their ability to recruit given they have not had that opportunity in the past. All good recruiters have to start somewhere. This is their opportunity. Good recruiters have good personalities and that shows through in interviews. Rather than be pessimistic like some here, I like to be optimistic. These guys are from good recruiting areas, are young, and are hungry to succeed. I think they will be at least as good at recruiting as those that left.

You have to be a little concerned about it. None of these guys are proven. You want someone who has been there before because they understand the system, the expectations, etc. They're not doing something for the first time and that makes them more efficient.

That said, all of these guys had success at a lower level. They are familiar with an offensive philosophy that has been effective and is quite modern. That's great.

Ideally, you want both Column A (experienced) and Column B (successful). Let's be honest with ourselves, Pitt is not the program that is regularly getting that type of coach. We were extremely fortunate to have had Patridge as long as we did.

But all successful coaches at the highest level started out at a lower level. Chip Kelly went from freaking New Hampshire to 6 straight top 11 seasons (and 4 in the top 5). It can be done. This is like investing in a startup. You know that it's going to be a bit of a s*** show in some ways but you hope that their good ideas and energy can get them to survive until they're able to optimize things at scale. I'm certainly willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: FireballZ
I disagree. It is not "fair" to question their ability to recruit given they have not had that opportunity in the past. All good recruiters have to start somewhere. This is their opportunity. Good recruiters have good personalities and that shows through in interviews. Rather than be pessimistic like some here, I like to be optimistic. These guys are from good recruiting areas, are young, and are hungry to succeed. I think they will be at least as good at recruiting as those that left.
"I disagree. It is not "fair" to question their ability to recruit given they have not had that opportunity in the past."
So we don't know. That's my point. They might be great, but we don't know because we don't have a track record so the question is legit.

And last season, the people that wanted him to stay his course got what they deserved.

Do you think Dooz made this change because of fan pressure? Or do you think maybe he looked out at that product on the field last year and said wow do we suck. I’d like to keep my job, time to make some serious changes.

Losing Partridge and a couple of the other assistants to the NFL hurts for sure. But this is what’s gonna happen to a lot of middling programs going forward. Good assistants can make more money and have a better quality of life in the NFL.
Losing coaches to the NFL is not a loss. Its where most of them thrive to be. Now losing a coach to another school is a loss. But a lot of the posters (not you) are complaining about that.

The bottim line is the people on this board will complain and riducule Pitt the school, coaches, fans, and the admin on anything that happens, or what it does.

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
They also hire people they can hire.

Narduzzi doesn’t have an extensive offensive coaching tree.

And Bell has been the boy wonder to his father’s Batman at the FCS level.

The coaching tree in February isn’t going to be that extensive for them.
Who is your favorite college football team?

That is news to me..

First article I found... want 1,000 more?

https://www.si.com/college/2018/12/12/chris-klieman-mike-houston-fcs-fbs-head-coaches

Here's a snippet:

Coaches say recruiting is the biggest change that Klieman and Houston will experience. Each cycle is, of course, more intense and competitive—“You’re going after bigger fish,” Hopson says—but it also runs on a different timeline. While FBS signing classes are nearly full by the time a prospect’s high school football season ends in November or December, lower divisions are just getting started. “It’s a little bit of let the chips fall where they may,” says Fritz, who has spent time as a head coach at junior college, Division II and FCS schools. “A lot of the kids are waiting to see what they are going to get.” Offering scholarships to eighth graders and getting commitments from high school sophomores are routine procedures on the FBS level that are nearly non-existent at the lower reaches of the college game. It’s more of a “patient” recruitment, says the 60-year-old Bailiff, now coach at Division II Texas A&M-Commerce. “Everybody thinks they’re going to FBS,” he says. “Whole world does, doesn’t matter how big you are or fast you are. They all have that dream. In FCS, you usually get commitments later.”

And another:

Everything is bigger in the FBS, but that doesn’t always mean everything is better for first-time head coaches. Recruiting is more competitive, changes more rapidly and is stretched into a year-round event. Staffs are so much larger at the FBS level that some FCS-turned-FBS coaches admit they failed to delegate and manage well enough. Budgets are so much greater that organizational structure and prudent spending are imperative. Coaches coming from Division II and Division III must learn a new rulebook in Division I, one that puts more stringent qualifying restrictions on recruits. There is also the scholarship increase to 85–22 more than FCS and 49 more than Division II—that can make things even more complex.

Like I asked, though - want 1,000 more?

FCS coaches put in as much time as BCS coaches just for far less money. Also, the delta between the great programs and trash ones is far closer than in BCS so to land a player you want you need to out recruit your competitors not just lean on your program. For example, I'd rather have this guy than some great recruiter from Bama. Bama recruits itself. This guy had to do a ton more work evaluating talent and building relationships.

Mark Whipple's college coaching recruiting experience prior to going to Miami (Fl) as OC.

1980 St.Lawrence (Assistant)
1981–1982Union (OC)
1983Brown (WR)
1984Arizona USFL
1986–1987New Hampshire (OC)
1988–1993New Haven (DII) HC
1994–1997Brown (HC)
1998–2003UMass (HC) (FCS )
2004-2008Steelers/Eagles (QB) NFL
2009–2010Miami (FL) (AHC/OC/QB)

But all successful coaches at the highest level started out at a lower level.
Right on.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
"I disagree. It is not "fair" to question their ability to recruit given they have not had that opportunity in the past."
So we don't know. That's my point. They might be great, but we don't know because we don't have a track record so the question is legit.
The implication that goes with “I question …” is negative. That is unfair. There is no doubt the lack of history means they have to prove themselves. But taking a negative position upfront is is neither helpful no fair.

Losing coaches to the NFL is not a loss. Its where most of them thrive to be. Now losing a coach to another school is a loss. But a lot of the posters (not you) are complaining about that.

The bottim line is the people on this board will complain and riducule Pitt the school, coaches, fans, and the admin on anything that happens, or what it does.
Unless replaced by a coach with the same or better performance, it is a loss for Pitt no matter where he goes.

The implication that goes with “I question …” is negative. That is unfair. There is no doubt the lack of history means they have to prove themselves. But taking a negative position upfront is is neither helpful no fair.
Not to be argumentative, but when you have a job interview and there’s a question concerning a part of the job requirement that’s not strongly reflective on your resume, it’s a concern.

That doesn’t mean he can’t do that part of the job, but until you prove yourself that’s a question mark. Fair or unfair. We shall see. I’m hoping for the best.

On this issue of whether these FCS guys can recruit at the FBS level:

1. Recruiting is sales--the quality and desirability of the product you're selling is the most important part of the equation. These FCS guys now have a lot more to sell on the recruiting trail. They will not be hunting FCS talent. Nor will they be pulling top 20 classes, because they are handicapped by the product they are selling.
2. Beyond the product, recruiting is hustle and putting in the time and effort. These new guys are young, ambitious and hungry. We had a bunch of guys with one ass cheek in their lazy-boys out there, understandably sick andtired of leaving their familes constantly to hit the road and grovel to entitled 18 year old kids for months at a time. They became jaded and simply weren't hungry anymore, and I don;t blame them. I suspect we will now at least see a more energetic, dynamic effort.
3. Let's face it--we had a couple of good recruiters on the staff that we lost, Partridge being foremost among them. But most of the guys on the offensive side--Powell, Salem, Cig, Borbs--were NOT getting it done. Period. And Narduzzi has not proven to be any kind of closer that has the juice and charisma to swing a kid with a strong offer sheet--especially on the offensive side.
4. Is there anyone who can say with a straight face that they were energized and optmistic going into the thick of the recruiting season the past several years? I for one am just happy to have some recruiting intrigue and optimism to look forward to.
5. Major changes were needed. We weren't gonna go out and find some 32 year old Joe Brady/Ben Johnson/Kendall Briles wunderkind from another FBS program or from the NFL. So I think Narduzi, to his credit, did what he felt was the next best thing. It's a gamble, but so was Cignetti. The difference is, this time the outcome of the gamble is not a foregone conclusion.

Not to be argumentative, but when you have a job interview and there’s a question concerning a part of the job requirement that’s not strongly reflective on your resume, it’s a concern.

That doesn’t mean he can’t do that part of the job, but until you prove yourself that’s a question mark. Fair or unfair. We shall see. I’m hoping for the best.
My point is your choice of words. As I said, when someone says "I question ...", it has a negative connotation. Maybe that's just me but every time I've heard someone use that, it was from a negative point of view. I took your comment to be that also and it isn't fair to view this situation as a negative given the unknown.

My point is your choice of words. As I said, when someone says "I question ...", it has a negative connotation. Maybe that's just me but every time I've heard someone use that, it was from a negative point of view. I took your comment to be that also and it isn't fair to view this situation as a negative given the unknown.
It’s a message board and the choice of words can sometimes be misconstrued. However I will say it another way. More kinder and gentler perhaps…

Being that the new offensive coaches apparently lack the recruiting experience on this level, I hope they are up to the task.”

How’s that? I hope they read it and understand that it’s not personal and I hope they do very well for that sake of the program. If you know any of them, please pass the word….

Thanks….

Each cycle is, of course, more intense and competitive—“You’re going after bigger fish,” Hopson says—but it also runs on a different timeline. While FBS signing classes are nearly full by the time a prospect’s high school football season ends in November or December, lower divisions are just getting started.
This is pretty subjective from a position coach's perspective. The size of the fish doesn't really matter from FCS to FBS. If Youngstown State and Robert Morris are competing for the same DT and he's #1 on their board, that fish is as big as the DT who is being recruited by Michigan and OSU. It's all relative.

Recruiting is more competitive, changes more rapidly and is stretched into a year-round event.
The competitive thing is purely subjective and relative. 2 rats can get pretty competitive over crumbs.

In terms of the year round event, FCS recruiting is pretty much year round nowadays. It didn't use to be that way.
Staffs are so much larger at the FBS level that some FCS-turned-FBS coaches admit they failed to delegate and manage well enough.
From the assistant coach perspective it makes recruiting much harder. The author is speaking from a HC point of view. These FCS schools don't have a dozen GA's and recruiting assistants doing a ton of the leg work that the FBS schools do. On an individual level, you have to grind a lot harder at the smaller school level.
Budgets are so much greater that organizational structure and prudent spending are imperative.
Again - has nothing to do with an asst coach perspective except their job is harder.
Coaches coming from Division II and Division III must learn a new rulebook in Division I, one that puts more stringent qualifying restrictions on recruits.
The FCS level is the same as the FBS level. That new rulebook for D2 guys rarely stands in the way of their recruiting prowess or lack thereof. They learn the rules pretty quick just like the D1 guys do when to precedents are set that level.
There is also the scholarship increase to 85–22 more than FCS and 49 more than Division II—that can make things even more complex.
Again - this shows the grind of the FCS coach. They need to find ways to manage a roster from a financial standpoint that doesn't really stand in the way of the FBS coach. If you're coaching in the Patriot League, you're competing against schools in your conference that have more or less scholarships then you do. The same can be said for the PSAC schools. IUP has more money then Clarion does when it comes to scholarships.

I've been around hundreds of college coaches at the FCS/D2 level over the past 10-15 years. Many of these guys move up and down levels all the time. The sales pitch, the recruitment, etc really doesn't change. Some guys can sell, some cannot. Some guys are at this level are able to sell because they have a great product that sells itself just like the FBS coaches do.

The majority of assistant coaches at all levels are doing the same thing in recruiting under similar circumstances. Each level has it's own nuances but it's nothing like you described in your OP.

Reactions: pittdan77
We recruit as well as can be expected at Pitt. No worse than the last 30 years.
We recruit poorly
Including for coaches
Not that you attend games or donate to care
The Cullowhee North campus sucks for those of use with skin in the game

I think the focus of our recruiting will be the South and the Midwest. (Maybe Texas)

And of course the Portal

Think we have lost a bit in NJ/NY and MD, DC and VA

They had better kill in the South
Our entire offensive staff is from podunk North Carolina
I lived in that state 14 years and had to google where western Carolina is .
Its they irrelevant

Mark Whipple's college coaching recruiting experience prior to going to Miami (Fl) as OC.

1980 St.Lawrence (Assistant)
1981–1982Union (OC)
1983Brown (WR)
1984Arizona USFL
1986–1987New Hampshire (OC)
1988–1993New Haven (DII) HC
1994–1997Brown (HC)
1998–2003UMass (HC) (FCS )
2004-2008Steelers/Eagles (QB) NFL
2009–2010Miami (FL) (AHC/OC/QB)

Right on.
Two head coaching jobs and nfl experience

Two head coaching jobs and nfl experience
0 months of recruiting at FBS is the point.
If you read the thread, the whole argument is about how these FCS guys will be lost in the recruiting process...................which some of us are not buying.......yea, and Bell isn't the head coach.

0 months of recruiting at FBS is the point.
If you read the thread, the whole argument is about how these FCS guys will be lost in the recruiting process...................which some of us are not buying.......yea, and Bell isn't the head coach.
His resume is 20x better than the dudes we just hired who made got hired for the same position as they had at wcu.
If you think being a fcs head coach twice and nfl position coach prior to fbs OC is analogous -
Your point is stupid

His resume is 20x better than the dudes we just hired who made got hired for the same position as they had at wcu.
Here is another item to consider.....Whipple coached at DII New Haven , Ivy League, and FCS (at the time) UMass, then got one of the 32 NFL QB coaching jobs in the world , so by your idea of qualification it just can't happen.... that is a much greater leap than fcs to fbs ?

Here is another item to consider.....Whipple coached at DII New Haven , Ivy League, and FCS (at the time) UMass, then got one of the 32 NFL QB coaching jobs in the world , so by your idea of qualification it just can't happen.... that is a much greater leap than fcs to fbs ?
Whipple was a coach, not a recruiter

Our entire offensive staff is from podunk North Carolina
I lived in that state 14 years and had to google where western Carolina is .
Its they irrelevant
Kade Bell - Jacksonville, FL
Lindsey Lamar - Tampa, FL
Jeremy Darveau - Hilton Head, SC
Jacob Bronowski - College Station, TX
JJ Laster - Graceville, FL

Not a single one from NC and they come from pretty fertile recruiting areas.

Kade Bell - Jacksonville, FL
Lindsey Lamar - Tampa, FL
Jeremy Darveau - Hilton Head, SC
Jacob Bronowski - College Station, TX
JJ Laster - Graceville, FL

Not a single one from NC and they come from pretty fertile recruiting areas.
can’t wait for us to have a wcu type roster to match our coaches !

Gonna buy some tix this year ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT