ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatching The Brawl

Dec 20, 2019
My goodness it's been months and the pick by Devonshire still makes me jump out of my seat, and gives me chills. The stadium was rocking! I hate WVU so much, but to be honest I love that we are playing them again. To quote Tomlin their an awesome dance partner and this game is great for both programs. I feel like I'm gonna need body armor to head to Morgantown lol.

Every couple weeks I see that replay of the pick by Devonshire. A glorious moment. WVU should have never punted with the lead in our territory.

Yeah, that was suicide. Especially with the way they were moving our d-line. Although I guess you could argue Brown had them in a position to win in spite of that, though, and the dude just dropped the ball.

Yeah, that was suicide. Especially with the way they were moving our d-line. Although I guess you could argue Brown had them in a position to win in spite of that, though, and the dude just dropped the ball.
Yeah. Tide had definitely turned in their favor and we were on the heels. That pick was up there with Billy Owns that won the 87 PSU game. Similar tight game with a rival in which they looked to have gained the advantage and we’re moving to an almost sure winning score, but we were granted deliverance.

Obviously those moments are the greatest things about sports, huge defining moments that everyone remembers (happily or not). I generally find it distasteful to play WVU due to their awful fans (as I indicate in my post above) but no doubting that a win like that far exceeds any mundane win over a crap MAC or FCS opening opponent.

Last edited:
Every couple weeks I see that replay of the pick by Devonshire. A glorious moment. WVU should have never punted with the lead in our territory.
i always wonder if the WVU WR didnt just drop a wide open pass, how that game would have turned out.

i always wonder if the WVU WR didnt just drop a wide open pass, how that game would have turned out.
Indeed, and how the rest of that season goes for their QB. I still think the dude far exceeded Slovis; they got the better one. But things seemed to collapse for him and their team following that (and I didn’t follow them enough to know whether it was he or the team that is mostly to blame). As mentioned above, a real defining moment, for us, for them, for their QB, for Devonshire (his stature as a player got a tremendous boost).

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Indeed, and how the rest of that season goes for their QB. I still think the dude far exceeded Slovis; they got the better one. But things seemed to collapse for him and their team following that (and I didn’t follow them enough to know whether it was he or the team that is mostly to blame). As mentioned above, a real defining moment, for us, for them, for their QB, for Devonshire (his stature as a player got a tremendous boost).
a top 5 moment in pitt history, in my lifetime at least..

i really compare it to PItt's interception against PSU with Gottfried running down the sidelines and jumping on the pile in the endzone..

I hate guns and could not own one… and I question the needs or purpose for such a law other than grandstanding against lib’s gun railings… but, come on, at WVU and all such big schools with huge tailgates, there are going to be people there who have guns. They might be someone not going to the game and just there for the party (it’s a prime place to deal drugs), or they just leave ‘em in their vehicles.

Pitt’s own stadium and campus (alas not one and the same of course) are each mostly surrounded by semi-ghettos, where the regular denizens come through parking lots and campus streets with (mostly illegal) guns. And those guns frequently get used. A Giant Eagle store only a couple hundred yards from several tailgate lots on the north shore has had problems with frequent shootings in its parking lot, mainly by people from nearby homeless camps (got so bad it finally led the city to grudgingly clear those camps out).

As mentioned, a big party scene like tailgates will inevitably attract bad seeds, dealers, etc who will be armed. The ticket scalpers roaming the crowds, carrying wads of money, aren’t exactly the most scrupulous individuals either. They are going to be packing. Sad to say, guns are already there; a symbolic law allowing it (or likewise, another unenforceable one trying to outlaw it) isn’t changing it.

There are likely plenty of legitimate reasons to refrain from scheduling WVU on the basis of their hazardous fans, but this really doesn’t change or add to them. It was Wild West at their games before, so this changes nothing. This certainly didn’t keep Pitt from scheduling games with them.

Let me say that even the most progressive admin such as Pitt’s isn’t going to risk big paydays by EVER canceling games on such basis, or anything else related to illegal, immoral, unethical behaviors. The green is too bright. When the PSU Sandusky scandal broke, at a time Pitt SHOULD have done something like that (cancel games), Pitt instead did a total 180, kept our existing games, and even jumped on their cynical token offer to schedule 2 more games (the last 2 they’ll ever schedule with us, pending some new scandal).

The Pitt champions who post here need not jump on me with some huge screed of why Pitt couldn’t do that. Pitt, which claims to be so sensitive to plights of the abused, absolutely could have done it, and should have, but failed to. Pitt certainly wasn’t alone there; all universities failed to back their principles in that situation. The point is, big football money and progressive university brass make strange and creepy bed fellows.
I don’t think you needed to write four long paragraphs to make the point his post didn’t make any sense.

a top 5 moment in pitt history, in my lifetime at least..

i really compare it to PItt's interception against PSU with Gottfried running down the sidelines and jumping on the pile in the endzone..
Yep. I didn’t see the TV reply until getting home but it was tremendously done, and my vantage at the game was sucky because my section is ground level, basically 8 rows up and closer to the south end zone on the Pitt side. So in this case the TV replay gave great new perspective. Man what a great shot of the student section erupting as he scored into the north end zone. I forget the announcer but he did a great accompaniment to the play as well.

It can’t compare as a long agonizing painful experience that 13-9 has to still be for WVU fans but this one had to really hurt in like a (coming full circle) gunshot to the gut at a hoopie tailgate. Which of course will immediately become a very regular occurrence there thanks to a random state bill 🙄😂

I have a good friend who went to WVU. Every time he says something about Pitt, I just respond with "13-9." It has become a valuable retort. Shuts him up every time.

• Haha
Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
pierre, rank this with the wvu pick 6. which one is better?
I'd say this one. I'm probably the same age as you. I was in 9th grade at the time and couldn't wait to go to school on that Monday to put it in the faces of snarky psu fans especially some of my teachers who would put down Pitt.
Last years pick 6 over wv was awesome but this was better IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: bschulter
I'd say this one. I'm probably the same age as you. I was in 9th grade at the time and couldn't wait to go to school on that Monday to put it in the faces of snarky psu fans.
Last years pick 6 over wv was awesome but this was better IMO
yeah, im with you. this basically ended the game, well it did. the wvu one, there was still some meat left on that bone before celebrating the win..

Plus, this was a great interception, the wvu one, kind of fell in his hands cause he was 5 yards away..

Reactions: pierre93
yeah, im with you. this basically ended the game, well it did. the wvu one, there was still some meat left on that bone before celebrating the win..

Plus, this was a great interception, the wvu one, kind of fell in his hands cause he was 5 yards away..
Owens interception IMO was just a thing of beauty on how he jumped that route. Gottfried went crazy and the nitters were humbled.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT