ADVERTISEMENT

Reynolds and transfers slamming Narduzzi

This is a little off topic, but the D-1 coach with the worst language that I have heard from a direct source on was John Chaney. He said things to his players that make Saban seem like a highly pious leader with his speech.

sounds right as he didn’t hold back. Below is an article where he calls his own player a Goon. Today he would probably be fired. He probably could not coach today because over sensitive kids would not allow him as he laid into kids with every word in the dictionary. But you know what...he really cared about his players and would do anything for them off the court to help them.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=1998200

Reactions: TheChair
Quit acting like you know what he meant by thug because you do not! Do you know if he called a white player a thug? No you don't. Do you know if he told a white player to cut his hair? No you do not!

I don't associate the word thug with race but rather violence.

BS....dress codes and code of conduct have absolutely nothing to do with calling someone a thug. Quit making excuses!

And yes it's a big deal.

Reactions: Farnox and 4upmc
Agree. I have my doubts about Dooz as a coach but I really don't think he is a racist, while he is certainly prone to some clumsy speech habits. At the same time I think you have to be smart enough to know that using the word "thug" while working with a group of young black men today is just a poor choice of words.

if the biggest gripe these guys have is that Narduzzi uses the term "thugs" in the context they describe, and they don't air that out until there is a national race crisis going on many months after they left the program, I don't see this as a big deal at all. But then again I'm a middle aged white guy like Narduzzi, so I can't pretend to understand the impact certain words might have on a young black man. And neither can any other middle aged white guy, even though they may like to think they understand.

think this is a thoughtful and spot on post

Thug is a problem when your only reason for calling them a thug is because they're black. It's not hard to figure out. Whether these things happened or not, it's a problem that needs addressed. Recruits are going to see this and assume where there's smoke there's fire. And it's not just one guy. Several have posted and even more are liking and or retweeting. When I saw this last night, I never thought it would get to this point. If HCPN and Lyke don't do or say anything publicly to address this, they should both be gone. This is not the right to climate to play ignorant. You'll get crushed by public opinion.

Quit acting like you know what he meant by thug because you do not! Do you know if he called a white player a thug? No you don't. Do you know if he told a white player to cut his hair? No you do not!

Famous thugs...
Al Capone, Machine Gun Kelley, John Dillinger.... and the worlds most famous thug.. Thug Behram.

Thugs are thugs and go get a haircut and while your at it cover up the tats..

It is generally not my style to replicate posts, but here is something I posted elsewhere that offers how I feel about this particular situation:

I cannot speak to the racial make-up of this message board, but as someone who actually is a black person, I do not think there is much to any of this. Coaches have been telling kids to cut their hair forever, whether the kids are white or black. The terminology of thug is vague to me and if it really were an issue, I feel like it would have come up long ago as a problem. You kind of need to be there with these things and different people interpret things differently. That said, if there was a larger problem, I think we would all know by now considering how closely many of us follow this football program.

I think Pat sometimes says dumb things. But, I highly doubt the guy is racist. 90%+ of the players that he recruits are black, let alone the guys that actually commit to the roster (where I think the number may be higher). Half of his coaching staff is black. He has been coaching for a very long time without any issue. And numerous players both on the present roster and off of it have talked about Pitt having a family culture. Guys had a lot of option to leave this year and came back in full force; that says something about the program and how they are treated.

I see nothing here but sour grapes and maybe someone that just did not get along with the coach(es). Reynolds especially should probably be quiet as he was in trouble a good deal in his time at Pitt per multiple accounts.

But, I will allot that maybe Pat needs to be more careful with his language across the board (including with the media). And, I will gladly continue to listen and watch to see if anything truly troublesome in my eyes emerges (and will immediately call out Pat for it).

I also will say that I think that this younger generation just needs to be more circumspect with how they complain and what they complain about. Racial matters are nothing to sneeze at and put a stain on everyone's record. Reynolds, especially should be careful as it does not appear he has clean hands in his own situation. If the coaches bail you out a ton, you probably should have more respect.

Those are just my thoughts.
Your thoughts=wisdom.

The word thugs has been around forever and for a long time as others stated there was nothing racial about it. I don’t know how, when or why but that did seem to change.

Not infrequent either. For example when I was a kid the word midget was nothing. Wasn’t negative whatsoever. Somewhere along the way some decided this was an absolutely horrible word and that people in this category should be called little people. And maybe dwarfs is still acceptable - I don’t know. I used it then but refrain now. I don’t understand it but if it’s offensive I have no issue not using it.

Reactions: kyfra
What’s offensive is real racism and hate like the piece of sh!t cop from Minn.
"Real racism"?! WTF is that????

Does someone have to die in order for it to be classified as racism????

Who are you to tell someone whether their perception of racism is real or not?

I don't think that Narduzzi is a racist but I do have a problem with him or anyone just loosely referring to student athletes as thugs.

I know no one is naive enough to think that someone using the word "thug" about a guy wearing a hoodie is talking about John Gotti or Whitey Bulger. It's not a fire-able offense but it's definitely got some racial undertones. The stuff about cutting your hair or dressing a certain way is dumb IMO but fairly harmless- calling a black kid a thug for wearing a hoodie is not cool though.
Yep...that's the kind of silly arguments they want to make just to defend, rather than just saying that Narduzzi should listen to the criticism and strive to do better.

There are also, and have been several players every year with long hair on the team....black players and white players. So I have a hard time believing that from a player who was kicked off the team; or really any player on or off the team.

How do you know the reference of "thug" did not mean violence on the football field. Everyone is so in a rush to judge!
AGAIN....what does that have to do with someone wearing a hoodie or wearing a hat backwards?

Are those justifiable reasons to refer to someone as a thug?

IF he made the thug remark relating to hat or hood then yes that is wrong. I am not defending our coach but I also have a hard time believing an ex player without proof.

AGAIN....what does that have to do with someone wearing a hoodie or wearing a hat backwards?

Are those justifiable reasons to refer to someone as a thug?

Agree. I have my doubts about Dooz as a coach but I really don't think he is a racist, while he is certainly prone to some clumsy speech habits. At the same time I think you have to be smart enough to know that using the word "thug" while working with a group of young black men today is just a poor choice of words.

if the biggest gripe these guys have is that Narduzzi uses the term "thugs" in the context they describe, and they don't air that out until there is a national race crisis going on many months after they left the program, I don't see this as a big deal at all. But then again I'm a middle aged white guy like Narduzzi, so I can't pretend to understand the impact certain words might have on a young black man. And neither can any other middle aged white guy, even though they may like to think they understand.
Well said.

I agree with all your points, except I have no issue with the players coming forward now and expressing their feelings.

They were in a powerless situation and wasn't gonna air something like that out while on the team, nor do I neccesarily think they felt that they could have expressed it privately to Narduzzi. Most folks quietly say nothing in fear of retaliation by their superior.

What's telling is that haven't heard of one player as yet denying that what's been stated is not the truth. And again I don't think he's a racist, but he needs to be better.

Reactions: singregardless
Cam Bright now retweeting and liking Reynolds/Street's post..

Me feels there is going to be some major damage control going on down on the Southside.
Let me know when any current or former player has refuted it, cause I have yet to see it. And I think that speaks a lot.

I think we, as people (let alone people that are parents), do not teach kids well enough to push back in certain areas if they feel offended. If a coach tells you that you should not wear a hoodie under a jacket, you can always say to him, "coach, this is the style." Or, "coach, this is my style." Or, "coach, it is a really cold and I need the hoodie like this in addition to the jacket and hat." Regardless, I think a comment like that, even if pared with a pejorative, it is mostly nothingness.
This is easier said than done, especially when some authoritarian figures do not appreciate push back or they have a my way or the highway approach.

These are 20 yr old young men and pretty much still kids that are dealing with someone who has the power to alter their career through playing time or not renewing their scholarship.

I know how they feel in terms to have to just suck it up and say nothing in fear of retaliation. Just go along to get along.

As I got older I learned to start speaking and no longer being silent on issues that are just not right. It takes time and a level of maturity to get there.

I commend Reynolds for speaking his truth regardless of him no longer being on the team. He spoke his truth and all the Narduzzi defenders chose to attack the accuser, rather than examine the substance of what he's saying. I don't know the kid and to be honest I never heard if him until yesterday.

However, I haven't seen any players refuted what he's state and I have a problem with Narduzzi using the term. It doesn't make him a racist or a bad guy, but plain and simple he needs to BE BETTER.

Last edited:
sounds right as he didn’t hold back. Below is an article where he calls his own player a Goon. Today he would probably be fired. He probably could not coach today because over sensitive kids would not allow him as he laid into kids with every word in the dictionary. But you know what...he really cared about his players and would do anything for them off the court to help them.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=1998200
It was also once okay to call players retards, sissies, and fags. No matter how much you care for your players it's no longer okay to use those terms.

They're no longer okay and neither should thugs.

Either these old coaches learn to get with the times or move the hell on.

Facts are never irrelevant ..... in fact ( like what I did there ) facts are the only thing that is relevant!
And you don’t know what you don’t know. I assume you’re not a young black man. So you’re not qualified to opine on how the word “thug” should be received by a young black man. Neither am I-but at least I’m smart enough and was raised with enough awareness to understand that I can’t pretend to know what it’s like to be black in this country. If you think the word thug doesn’t have racial connotations today, you’re way out of touch. This isn’t 1954.

And you don’t know what you don’t know. I assume you’re not a young black man. So you’re not qualified to opine on how the word “thug” should be received by a young black man. Neither am I-but at least I’m smart enough and was raised with enough awareness to understand that I can’t pretend to know what it’s like to be black in this country. If you think the word thug doesn’t have racial connotations today, you’re way out of touch. This isn’t 1954.

No, he's an old, white, high school dropout posing as a Pitt graduate to make pitt fans look like complete idiots.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/26585143

I don't like a coach using a word like "thug". If that's happening, it's something for ADHL to address.

The thing with Narduzzi, that I'm surprised few notice, is that he has a very "take it or leave it" approach to his program. You buy in or you don't. It's in his branding that he uses. Very "Us vs. the world". His players seem to buy in. Anyone who has fallen on the wrong side of him hate him. We see this with recruits and media a lot.

Nobody loves everything about a HC as a player. A lot of guys hated the HC when I played because there was a perception of unjustified favoritism. He won games. Take it or leave it. Just how it is sometimes.

It is generally not my style to replicate posts, but here is something I posted elsewhere that offers how I feel about this particular situation:

I cannot speak to the racial make-up of this message board, but as someone who actually is a black person, I do not think there is much to any of this. Coaches have been telling kids to cut their hair forever, whether the kids are white or black. The terminology of thug is vague to me and if it really were an issue, I feel like it would have come up long ago as a problem. You kind of need to be there with these things and different people interpret things differently. That said, if there was a larger problem, I think we would all know by now considering how closely many of us follow this football program.

I think Pat sometimes says dumb things. But, I highly doubt the guy is racist. 90%+ of the players that he recruits are black, let alone the guys that actually commit to the roster (where I think the number may be higher). Half of his coaching staff is black. He has been coaching for a very long time without any issue. And numerous players both on the present roster and off of it have talked about Pitt having a family culture. Guys had a lot of option to leave this year and came back in full force; that says something about the program and how they are treated.

I see nothing here but sour grapes and maybe someone that just did not get along with the coach(es). Reynolds especially should probably be quiet as he was in trouble a good deal in his time at Pitt per multiple accounts.

But, I will allot that maybe Pat needs to be more careful with his language across the board (including with the media). And, I will gladly continue to listen and watch to see if anything truly troublesome in my eyes emerges (and will immediately call out Pat for it).

I also will say that I think that this younger generation just needs to be more circumspect with how they complain and what they complain about. Racial matters are nothing to sneeze at and put a stain on everyone's record. Reynolds, especially should be careful as it does not appear he has clean hands in his own situation. If the coaches bail you out a ton, you probably should have more respect.

Those are just my thoughts.
Sometimes young people say stupid things too. Let's all practice the art of forgiveness.

Now Butler-Jenkins, a current player, is speaking out.

Has he caught a pass yet???? I didn’t know he was still on the team...Here is a suggestion...Instead of calling out your coach on twitter, go see him face to face and ask him why he’s been silent about the current situation. In the real world that you’ll be facing soon, it’s never a good idea to bad mouth your boss on social media...

In the meantime, catch a few more passes, it’ll improve your street cred...

Has he caught a pass yet???? I didn’t know he was still on the team...Here is a suggestion...Instead of calling out your coach on twitter, go see him face to face and ask him why he’s been silent about the current situation. In the real world that you’ll be facing soon, it’s never a good idea to bad mouth your boss on social media...

Yea....he’s caught 10 passes for 77 yards over two seasons, and had a crucial fumble against Duke last year. He was sliding down the depth chart as it was.

Yea....he’s caught 10 passes for 77 yards over two seasons, and had a crucial fumble against Duke last year. He was sliding down the depth chart as it was.

Nice....disparage and attack the player just for speaking up and expressing himself ....both of you are despicable.....smh

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT