ADVERTISEMENT

RIP: Keystone Classic?

TIGER-PAUL

Athletic Director
Jan 14, 2005
“We have two years left with Penn State. I know Heather’s worked her tail off on trying to get ‘em but there’s gotta be a marriage,” Narduzzi said. “They gotta want to play us, as well, and I don’t see that right now. But we’ll find out here soon.”
“You take it year by year. You take who wants to play; West Virginia wants to play us and Penn State, right now, has declined, as of today,” Narduzzi said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...gh-panthers-heather-lyke/stories/201803070094

Reactions: Nittany Security
State penn wants a sure win, Pitt is not a sure win for them and they know it

The moment they got past that little unpleasant Sandusky thing, they resumed the arrogance. Way easier to claim supremacy than to actually have to prove it. One loss was too many to absorb unless the revenue justified it. Playing a true one for one series doesn't work when the Southern Conference is ripe for the picking.

I'm OK if they don't want to play us anymore. But it does hurt them in recruiting. For me, I love all of rivalries and would love to play them and WVU every year. It's a shame all the great northeastern schools never formed a conference back in the 50-60s when every other area of the nation did.

But IMHO if I could only pick one, I would pick WVU over UPS to play every year. Its a better rivalry that's fierce and passionate on both sides.

Reactions: jctrack
Escaping with dignity?
Agree doesn't hurt PSU at all-but honestly doesn't hurt Pitt -or even help them much either anymore. That win over PSU didn't do much for Pitt(except f state making the playoff). And the 'filling the stadium' mantra is forlorn now too. You're talking maybe a home game or two at most a decade? lost for Pitt in an era of 100m budgets. And frankly the recent game tv ratings have been middling at best.

State penn wants a sure win, Pitt is not a sure win for them and they know it
So Psu scheduled Auburn,Va Tech and WVU for their sure wins instead of Pitt.Maybe Auburn and VA Tech are sure wins but my Mounties won't be!

I can't think on any way not playing the game hurts PSU.

I can think of just a few minor ways not having the game hurts Pitt. It does hurt to lose a guaranteed sellout from time-to-time. Those games won't solve our attendance issues, but it's nice to cash in sell-outs when you can. WVU games can deliver the same sellouts. Getting the Win over PSU when we do win is a nice little boost for image, local recruiting, etc...but not sure it has any lasting effect. I think that's about it.

So, Pitt doesn't really need this game either. And that's the shame of it. Neither side needs the game so it won't be played, though obviously Pitt wants the game, but doesn't need it.

I would rather play WVU every year as well. Better games and an actual rivalry.

I'm OK if they don't want to play us anymore. But it does hurt them in recruiting. For me, I love all of rivalries and would love to play them and WVU every year. It's a shame all the great northeastern schools never formed a conference back in the 50-60s when every other area of the nation did.

But IMHO if I could only pick one, I would pick WVU over UPS to play every year. Its a better rivalry that's fierce and passionate on both sides.

PITT sold out a non conference game for PSU. PSU sold out a non conference game for PITT. Both schools forced fans to buy tickets for additional games. I guess the game benefits both schools

Worship and advice from now dead disgraced head coach still drives policy despite new leadership...

How pathetic and demented is that? Seriously

Again this is the SINGLE outlier in college football... Penn State effing around with in State rivalry game that’s older than the people making the call

Pathetic truly pathetic

College football is all about rivalries. If Penn State doesn't want to play Pitt and be "unrivaled" because zero Big 10 teams consider them to be a rival, their loss. Get the Backyard Brawl back on the schedule every year. I miss that game.

College football is all about rivalries. If Penn State doesn't want to play Pitt and be "unrivaled" because zero Big 10 teams consider them to be a rival, their loss. Get the Backyard Brawl back on the schedule every year. I miss that game.
We'll be heading your way in 2022 I just hope Pitt's ready!

PITT sold out a non conference game for PSU. PSU sold out a non conference game for PITT. Both schools forced fans to buy tickets for additional games. I guess the game benefits both schools
The difference is PSU will play Auburn or Virginia Tech in a non conference game instead and still sell out. So, they don't really need Pitt to sell out, just an attractive opponent.

Pitt will not sell out for other seemingly attractive non-conference opponents (Oklahoma St, Nebraska, Michigan State, etc.) Without PSU, we will only sell out for WVU and Notre Dame. Luckily, those teams are coming up on the schedules.

So Psu scheduled Auburn,Va Tech and WVU for their sure wins instead of Pitt.Maybe Auburn and VA Tech are sure wins but my Mounties won't be!
You better look more closer into your nit wit ooc schedule, Pitts out of conference schedule is without a doubt, much tougher then state penn and wvu,

You better look more closer into your nit wit ooc schedule, Pitts out of conference schedule is without a doubt, much tougher then state penn and wvu,

Could the reason be we are a 5-7 team on their schedule and they are a top 10 team on ours? Probably why they’ve added Auburn and VT in coming years

Wvu's Ooc schedule isn't terrible on our future schedules.I admit Pitt's is better but ours will be a challenge with Holgersen's recruiting.
2018 Tenn,NC St and Youngstown
2019 Missouri, NC State and James Madison
2020 FL St,Md and Ky
2021 Md,Va Tech and India St
2022 Pitt,Va Tech and TBD
2023 Psu,Pitt and tbd
2024 Psu,Pitt and tbd

The difference is PSU will play Auburn or Virginia Tech in a non conference game instead and still sell out. So, they don't really need Pitt to sell out, just an attractive opponent.

Pitt will not sell out for other seemingly attractive non-conference opponents (Oklahoma St, Nebraska, Michigan State, etc.) Without PSU, we will only sell out for WVU and Notre Dame. Luckily, those teams are coming up on the schedules.

Name one non conference game in the future schedule that will put more butts in Beaver Stadium than PITT.

1 110,823 Oct. 21, 2017 Penn State 42, Michigan 13
2 110,753 Sept. 14, 2002 Penn State 40, Nebraska 7
3 110,134 Oct. 27, 2007 Penn State 17, Ohio State 37
4 110,078 Sept. 8, 2007 Penn State 31, Notre Dame 10
5 110,033 Nov. 7, 2009 Penn State 7, Ohio State 24
6 110,017 Oct. 18, 2008 Penn State 46, Michigan 17
7 110,007 Oct. 14, 2006 Penn State 10, Michigan 17
8 109,898 Sept. 9, 2017 Penn State 33, Pittsburgh 14

Don't bet on Va Tech and WVU not putting more butts in Beaver stadium than Pitt did.I think they will both travel very well to Happy Valley.Even though Pitt has way more fans than these to chump change programs have Beaver Stadium will be full.I also think Auburn will have an overflow crowd because Psu's top 5 recruiting class will be seniors( the ones that stay 4 yrs) and they'll be playing a very good SEC team.They'll be coming out of all the mountains and hollars to watch Psu play a SEC team!

Last edited:
Reactions: freddietee511

There were empty seats the last time WVU and Notre Dame were at Heinz Field. They may have announced it as a sellout but there were empty seats as I was at both. I still have the pictures from the ND game somewhere.

Fella’s, let the Paterno movie premiere this spring. Once it’s out there, it’s there forever, reminding people and stigmatizing what it means to cheer for and support people who are capable of doing what was done...

That movie gives new meaning to “We Are” because they are capable of allowing children to be continually victimized rather than risk embarrassing their football team. Disgusting.

PSU will need us again at some point. Trust me.

Fella’s, let the Paterno movie premiere this spring. Once it’s out there, it’s there forever, reminding people and stigmatizing what it means to cheer for and support people who are capable of doing what was done...

That movie gives new meaning to “We Are” because they are capable of allowing children to be continually victimized rather than risk embarrassing their football team. Disgusting.

PSU will need us again at some point. Trust me.

No they won’t. But I guess you can keep pretending the scandal has hurt their program long term.

Reactions: cbpitt2
No they won’t. But I guess you can keep pretending the scandal has hurt their program long term.

You’re probably right Prez. Change never happens. Once things are on a course, that’s just how it stays. Thank goodness Pittsburgh will always have the steel industry to support us all...

I’m not saying that this movie is going to flush their program but it certainly creates a permanent reminder And brings clarity to something that many Americans never fully grasped. Regardless, PSU football will stumble at some point and the games value will be perceived differently. That game to a degree helped PSU build it’s program, at some point they’ll be on our porch.

You’re probably right Prez. Change never happens. Once things are on a course, that’s just how it stays. Thank goodness Pittsburgh will always have the steel industry to support us all...

I’m not saying that this movie is going to flush their program but it certainly creates a permanent reminder And brings clarity to something that many Americans never fully grasped. Regardless, PSU football will stumble at some point and the games value will be perceived differently. That game to a degree helped PSU build it’s program, at some point they’ll be on our porch.

Ok.

The scandal only matters to ahnadful of lunatics on BWI and some folk here. Most don't care anymore.

Yea, BWI is just a "handful of lunatics" obsessed with trying to defend the indefensible. A quick visit to BWI and the top thread on the board is a discussion of the Arizona State University President saying he would have fired Joe Paterno. The thread already has 69 replies since yesterday for saying such blasphemy.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threa...sident-i-would-have-fired-joe-paterno.203057/

BWI currently has a 459-post thread on the front page about Anthony Lubrano not running for re-election to the Penn State BoT. Really. A 459-post thread about a member of the BoT not seeking re-election.

"Handful" of lunatics is a bit of an understatement.

https://bwi.forums.rivals.com/threads/lubrano-not-running-for-reelection.202021/

The nitpickers that deified Joe and the rest that just hated him from a sports point of view will never let it go. And not all of above are on message boards.

Thats nitpicker mentality- as you really can't predict it that closely 10 years in advance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT