ADVERTISEMENT

RMU cancels men’s/women’s hockey

Net?? Or gross? How many scholies total for 2 teams, coaches $$, travel, equipment, etc. Who pays for the $100-200,000 single use arena? College hockey in Pgh has NO history. We can't draw decent crowds to the Pete if we don't win big. Ditto HF.
That is net. I think Penn State had $1.2 million profit the last year I saw. The hockey playing schools in the Big Ten get an additional $2 million a year from the BTN. Those schools draw 5,000 plus a game and have big time boosters. They are outliers but it is definitely possible to be profitable program. I doubt Pitt could do the same unless like Penn State they had a big time donor paying. The other programs are king established programs with a long hockey history.

Reactions: ThePanthers
That is net. I think Penn State had $1.2 million profit the last year I saw. The hockey playing schools in the Big Ten get an additional $2 million a year from the BTN. Those schools draw 5,000 plus a game and have big time boosters. They are outliers but it is definitely possible to be profitable program. I doubt Pitt could do the same unless like Penn State they had a big time donor paying. The other programs are king established programs with a long hockey history.

In other words, without a massive donation to cover start up cost- they would be running a giant deficit each year.

Pegula action donated $102 million total to start up both men's and women's hockey at PSU. This covered costs of the arena at $89 million and an addtional $13 million to endowed hockey scholarships.

You aren't building an equivalent arena in Pittsburgh for $89m. Hockey would require the addition of 36 total scholarships for men and women. That's a total annual cost somewhere between $1.5-2m before you get into operations and staff. I can think of a 100s of better things for Pitt to do with $100+m.

Last edited:
Pegula action donated $102 million total to start up both men's and women's hockey at PSU. This covered costs at $89 million and an addtional $13 million to endowed hockey scholarships.

You aren't building an equivalent arena in Pittsburgh for $89m. It would require the addition of 36 total scholarships for men and women. I can think of a 100s of better things for Pitt to do with $100m.
I think Pegula ended up closer to $120M by the time it was all said and done. Word is that the whole hockey thing pretty much tapped him out when it came to donating to PSU, which I’m sure James Franklin is thrilled about.

I think Pegula ended up closer to $120M by the time it was all said and done. Word is that the whole hockey thing pretty much tapped him out when it came to donating to PSU, which I’m sure James Franklin is thrilled about.

Wouldn't surprise me. A large part of their program is endowed, which is the only way it is turning a "profit." It was a huge donation and investment in a college sport that is substantially below the national profile of women's college basketball and college baseball. I'd love Pitt to have varsity hockey playing in Hockey East, but Pitt athletics would be better putting that sort of money into existing sports or ensuring their long-term viability through endowment building.

Last edited:
But i thought these non revenue generating sports were going to provide content for the ACC Network and, indirectly, generate revenue, so wouldn’t they at least be breaking even?

It seems to me that college sports are expensive because they choose to be. Does everything have to be on the scale of a Cecil B DeMille epic? How did schools have sports 100 years ago without tv, branding, and their own merchandising contract? Does every house need to be a mansion? Cant some dwellings just be townhouses?

It seems to me that college sports are expensive because they choose to be. Does everything have to be on the scale of a Cecil B DeMille epic? How did schools have sports 100 years ago without tv, branding, and their own merchandising contract? Does every house need to be a mansion? Cant some dwellings just be townhouses?

The top players are going to be enticed to go to the places with the best facilities, shinier toys, etc. Each school is going to try to outdo the other to get that advantage.

If you are fine with pitt to play on a dirt field with wooden bleachers because that's what they did 100 years ago, then prepare to nit be competitive.

But i thought these non revenue generating sports were going to provide content for the ACC Network and, indirectly, generate revenue, so wouldn’t they at least be breaking even?

You may not have noticed, but there is no ACC hockey league. So Pitt adding hockey wouldn't provide any content for the ACC network.

The top players are going to be enticed to go to the places with the best facilities, shinier toys, etc. Each school is going to try to outdo the other to get that advantage.

If you are fine with pitt to play on a dirt field with wooden bleachers because that's what they did 100 years ago, then prepare to nit be competitive.
So we need to have an arms race in every sport? Cut to the chase and give each kid a Lamborghini and train in a facility with gold weights. So sick of the escalating arms race in sports. It’s all bullshit.

So we need to have an arms race in every sport? Cut to the chase and give each kid a Lamborghini and train in a facility with gold weights. So sick of the escalating arms race in sports. It’s all bullshit.
I don’t think that anyone would look at Pitt’s facilities and see anything like an arms race. The Petersen Sports Complex was a huge improvement, but is still middle of the road for ACC standards. Same with the Pete and Trees Pool. The Fitzgerald Field House isn’t even up to high school standards, and the track and cross-country programs don’t even have a facility. The Olympic sports strength and conditioning facility is solidly below average (largely because it’s in the Fitzgerald Field House), though having the Cost Center on campus and not used by football is an advantage. Football with Heinz Field and the UPMC complex is probably the only one that’s a solidly above-average ACC facility, and we all know that Pitt didn’t build that itself.

Even if every single part of Victory Heights is built as planned, it’ll just mean that three sports will finally move out of low-level WPIAL facilities into decent to good ACC-level facilities, the track and cross country teams and lacrosse will actually have a facility at all, and all of the Olympic sports will have a solid ACC strength and conditioning facility. And every athletic program will benefit from the academic/lifeskills area.

I can think of a 100s of better things for Pitt to do with $100+m.
Here's the thing, if you told Pitt boosters:

"OK, guys, we are spending $300 million on athletics, what should we get?"

Very low on the list would be a volleyball arena. Yes, the FH is old but its good enough for volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastics.

If Pitt could take that $300 million and put $150 million into a hockey arena/program, and the other $150 million into football and basketball coaching salaries, I think people would have been super excited. Like when Capel gets canned, you could get a very good coach to come here for $8 million/year instead of paying whoever wins the CAA $3 million.

I'm not even sure it's a "steelers" town. The boomers who lived through the 70s still drive the popularity. Once they are all dead, it's doubtful that the next generations will hold them in the same regard. Personally, I think the on field product is terrible and no longer pay any attention to the NFL.
Could be the case with all sports.

Very low on the list would be a volleyball arena. Yes, the FH is old but its good enough for volleyball, wrestling, and gymnastics.

If Pitt could take that $300 million and put $150 million into a hockey arena/program, and the other $150 million into football and basketball coaching salaries, I think people would have been super excited. Like when Capel gets canned, you could get a very good coach to come here for $8 million/year instead of paying whoever wins the CAA $3 million.
There us absolutely nothing stopping the boosters from donating to a hockey rink and to the football and basketball programs to do those things.

It's not a zero sum game.

Reactions: Ski11585

This doesn’t make any sense. There is zero indication that Pitt is currently underpaying or underfunding football or basketball, either in coaches’ salaries or operating budgets. Capel makes well over $3M right now, and they offered Hurley more than that. Narduzzi is one of the highest-paid coaches in the ACC, and both programs just had significant facility renovations.

Sure, it’s nice to get yinzers excited with a fancy announcement (though I have my doubts that Pitt college hockey would materially move the needle in this town unless they’re making Frozen Fours), but it’s more important to make sure that football and basketball are given the resources to be successful - and they are very much currently being given those resources - and that the remainder of the *current programs that we have right now, not hypothetical programs yet to exist* are also given the resources they need to be successful.

We’re doing the first part, and you haven’t provided anything other than your speculation to suggest that we aren’t, because the numbers say that we are. We are working on the second part, which is much more important than a hypothetical hockey program and arena...again, because those programs actually exist in the real world.

This doesn’t make any sense. There is zero indication that Pitt is currently underpaying or underfunding football or basketball, either in coaches’ salaries or operating budgets. Capel makes well over $3M right now, and they offered Hurley more than that. Narduzzi is one of the highest-paid coaches in the ACC, and both programs just had significant facility renovations.

Sure, it’s nice to get yinzers excited with a fancy announcement (though I have my doubts that Pitt college hockey would materially move the needle in this town unless they’re making Frozen Fours), but it’s more important to make sure that football and basketball are given the resources to be successful - and they are very much currently being given those resources - and that the remainder of the *current programs that we have right now, not hypothetical programs yet to exist* are also given the resources they need to be successful.

We’re doing the first part, and you haven’t provided anything other than your speculation to suggest that we aren’t, because the numbers say that we are. We are working on the second part, which is much more important than a hypothetical hockey program and arena...again, because those programs actually exist in the real world.
And again. Absolutely no one is stopping the boosters from doing what smf is saying.

If we are dealing in hypotheticals, if Pitt were to field an NCAA ice hockey team, is there any reason the men’s team couldn’t play at PPG rather than building a new facility? I realize they’d have to coordinate with the NHL schedule, but UCONN has to do similarly with the AHL schedule (and basketball) at XL Center, and numerous other programs share a facility with their basketball programs so would have similar scheduling constraints.

Probably would have to lease space and practice elsewhere, like at RMU or Harmar/Alpha or something.

The thread broadened out to discuss non revenue generating sports. I was thinking beyond hockey.

Well if that's what you were thinking then yeah, sports other than football and basketball do provide content for the ACC network and do contribute at some level to generating revenue.

Why would you think otherwise?

An update on the situation. RMU alum and Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has reportedly quit his position on the university’s Board of Trustees in response to the decision to cut both programs.

There us absolutely nothing stopping the boosters from donating to a hockey rink and to the football and basketball programs to do those things.

It's not a zero sum game.
Pitt Basketball is in a death spiral. There are only 2 ways out:

1. Luck
2. Way overpay for the next coach and assistants

It is incredibly stupid to spend $300 million on Olympic sports but NOT spend your way out of the basketball crisis.

Pitt Basketball is in a death spiral. There are only 2 ways out:

1. Luck
2. Way overpay for the next coach and assistants

It is incredibly stupid to spend $300 million on Olympic sports but NOT spend your way out of the basketball crisis.

Again. Not a zero sum game. If boosters want to spend out of that nothing is stopping them.

Again. Not a zero sum game. If boosters want to spend out of that nothing is stopping them.
I know its not supposed to be zero sum but they are debt financing and fundraising for Olympic sports when most of that effort needs to go to basketball and football first.

As I said in another post, you dont go put in an extravagant inground pool while your house is falling down and is the laughing stock of the neighborhood. Fix the house first.

I know its not supposed to be zero sum but they are debt financing and fundraising for Olympic sports when most of that effort needs to go to basketball and football first.

As I said in another post, you dont go put in an extravagant inground pool while your house is falling down and is the laughing stock of the neighborhood. Fix the house first.
Again, there’s no indication that they aren’t currently or won’t be willing to invest whatever they need to invest into basketball and football. Our spending in those two sports is very competitive in the ACC, and in the event that we end up replacing Narduzzi and/or Capel in the next year or two, there’s no indication that (1) we won’t be willing to spend competitively to hire new coaches; and (2) Victory Heights has anything to do with football/basketball budget numbers. You’re creating a zero sum game that doesn’t exist.

Again, there’s no indication that they aren’t currently or won’t be willing to invest whatever they need to invest into basketball and football. Our spending in those two sports is very competitive in the ACC, and in the event that we end up replacing Narduzzi and/or Capel in the next year or two, there’s no indication that (1) we won’t be willing to spend competitively to hire new coaches; and (2) Victory Heights has anything to do with football/basketball budget numbers. You’re creating a zero sum game that doesn’t exist.
If we replace Capel or Narduzzi, its going to be with a mid-major lottery ticket or P5 assistant lottery ticket. If they are willing to spend $300 million on volleyball, they should be willing to spend an extra $6-$7 million/year on football and basketball to land a big-time coach. They wont though

If we replace Capel or Narduzzi, its going to be with a mid-major lottery ticket or P5 assistant lottery ticket. If they are willing to spend $300 million on volleyball, they should be willing to spend an extra $6-$7 million/year on football and basketball to land a big-time coach. They wont though
This isn’t supported by the reality where Jeff Capel and Pat Narduzzi are both among the highest-paid coaches in the conference. In the event that they need to replace either one, the current spending trends give no reason to believe anything other than that Pitt will do whatever it can to hire the best coach it can, and pay that coach what he’s worth. Joe Moorhead isn’t going to get paid as much as Dabo Swinney, but just because Pitt hires Joe Moorhead instead of Dabo doesn’t mean that they aren’t willing to pay what it takes to hire a very good coach, and put their salary figures close to the top of the conference. Same with basketball. You’re making an argument that isn’t supported by current trends and doesn’t exist.

This isn’t supported by the reality where Jeff Capel and Pat Narduzzi are both among the highest-paid coaches in the conference. In the event that they need to replace either one, the current spending trends give no reason to believe anything other than that Pitt will do whatever it can to hire the best coach it can, and pay that coach what he’s worth. Joe Moorhead isn’t going to get paid as much as Dabo Swinney, but just because Pitt hires Joe Moorhead instead of Dabo doesn’t mean that they aren’t willing to pay what it takes to hire a very good coach, and put their salary figures close to the top of the conference. Same with basketball. You’re making an argument that isn’t supported by current trends and doesn’t exist.

Forget Pitt football for a second because college football isnt setup for Pitt to matter, Pitt can go out and get almost any basketball coach they want for $8 million/year and then we'd be a perennial NCAAT and might even make a FF or NC. But instead they will put that money towards volleyball and hire the coach of Toledo for $2.5 million.

Considering the expenses and revenues involved, I wouldn't be surprised if volleyball is maybe the second or third most valuable program at Pitt. I am skeptical that basketball is even making a profit at this point, depending on how you're counting.

Ignoring football and men's basketball, I'd guess the next three most financially efficient sports are volleyball, wrestling, and then women's basketball.

Considering the expenses and revenues involved, I wouldn't be surprised if volleyball is maybe the second or third most valuable program at Pitt. I am skeptical that basketball is even making a profit at this point, depending on how you're counting.

Ignoring football and men's basketball, I'd guess the next three most financially efficient sports are volleyball, wrestling, and then women's basketball.
Women's basketball is probably the least profitable sport because due to Title IX, they have to pay their coaches considerably more than they are worth. Ticket sales are close to $0 even pre-Covid and I would guess their recruiting budget ranks only behind football and men's basketball.

Football makes a profit. Basketball probably still makes a slight profit.

Then its probably volleyball and wrestling, not sure which order.

Women's basketball is probably the least profitable sport because due to Title IX, they have to pay their coaches considerably more than they are worth.
Waldrum probably makes more than Fisher. Lance White has been at Pitt less time than either, had zero head coaching experience before Pitt, and has had zero success worthy of a raise. There's no way he is getting paid more than either of those coaches.

I also think ACC WBB probably brings in more revenue from ESPN than other sports. I'm also considering facilities operation costs. WBB is sharing facilities with MBB while volleyball, wrestling, and baseball are all forced to maintain their own equipment and facilities with no gender split. If we didn't have a WBB program at all, I doubt Pitt would run the Pete any differently.

Volleyball is a big money loser at most places. Lot of scholarship athletes for it (along with WBB and WSOC) to be a Title IX balancer.

My guess is that the “profitability” goes football, men’s basketball - the only sports that turn a profit - and then sports like swimming/diving, cross country/track, and gymnastics. Big rosters with relatively small non-equivalent scholarship counts (so a bunch of athletes actually just pay tuition and are off the AD’s books), small/shared coaching staffs, little/no facilities or equipment, little/no midweek long-distance travel, etc.

Volleyball is a big money loser at most places. Lot of scholarship athletes for it (along with WBB and WSOC) to be a Title IX balancer.

My guess is that the “profitability” goes football, men’s basketball - the only sports that turn a profit - and then sports like swimming/diving, cross country/track, and gymnastics. Big rosters with relatively small non-equivalent scholarship counts (so a bunch of athletes actually just pay tuition and are off the AD’s books), small/shared coaching staffs, little/no facilities or equipment, little/no midweek long-distance travel, etc.
Yes, there are several ways to look at it. I was not considering the sports which have basically zero revenue. I was thinking some sort of revenue-to-cost ratio. Volleyball and wrestling actually have paid attendance. FWIW, the ACC actually mandates that all conference members offer either women's volleyball or women's soccer, and GT is the only team that doesn't have both.

Regardless, there's basically zero argument that Pitt hockey would be anything other than a massive money pit.

Reactions: pittchagg
Waldrum probably makes more than Fisher. Lance White has been at Pitt less time than either, had zero head coaching experience before Pitt, and has had zero success worthy of a raise. There's no way he is getting paid more than either of those coaches.

I also think ACC WBB probably brings in more revenue from ESPN than other sports. I'm also considering facilities operation costs. WBB is sharing facilities with MBB while volleyball, wrestling, and baseball are all forced to maintain their own equipment and facilities with no gender split. If we didn't have a WBB program at all, I doubt Pitt would run the Pete any differently.
WBB makes $0 from ESPN. Football is 80%. Men's basketball is 20%. Everything else is filler. Ratings slightly better to dead air.

I bet Lance White makes $300K or more. I bet Fisher makes $150K-200K.

Guesses on Waldrum: $150K.
Vidovich: $300K
Bell: $100K

I would be shocked if women's hoops didn't lose the most money. They have to fund it like a "mainstream sport."

Ironically, I would think men's soccer is the 2nd biggest money loser.

In 2019-20, Lance White made $625K, which is a higher base salary than the Chancellor. He definitely makes more than Waldrum and Fisher, or any other non-revenue head coach in the athletic department, none of whom merited listing on Pitt's IRS 990.

Pitt's 2019-20 990 filing for athletic department employees (institutional top 25 earners with bonuses):

Narduzzi $4.82m
Capel $3.53m
Chancellor Gallagher $1.29m
Watson $1m
Lyke $805K
White $612K
Bates $548K
McConnell-Serio: $490K
Whipple: $476K

Last edited:
In 2019-20, Lance White made $625K, which is a higher base salary than the Chancellor. He definitely makes more than Waldrum and Fisher, or any other non-revenue head coach in the athletic department, none of whom merited listing on Pitt's IRS 990.

Pitt's 2019-20 990 filing for athletic department employees (institutional top 25 earners with bonuses):

Narduzzi $4.82m
Capel $3.53m
Chancellor Gallagher $1.29m
Watson $1m
Lyke $805K
White $612K
Bates $548K
McConnell-Serio: $490K
Whipple: $476K
Wow I was way off with my guess of $300K or more. But, yea, women's hoops is EASILY the biggest money loser mostly because they have to fund it very well due to Title IX.

Dejan is being a dickhead. Nobody gives a f**k about RMU Hockey. They are going all in on football and basketball. Good for them. Dr. Howard is a rising star. He was even featured in those NCAA commercials during the NCAA Basketball Tournament. These decisions are never easy but they were correct. RMU Hockey had 17 seasons to gain a fanbase and they didnt. It was an interesting experiment but an epic failure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT