ADVERTISEMENT

Robert Morris

BballinsiderfromPitt

Heisman Winner
Feb 15, 2018
Moving on to the next one, anyone have any insight how good they will be? Obviously after Nichols, we can’t take anyone for granted. With the emotion and hype of a new arena, should be a contest for at least the first half. I admittedly know nothing about them.

Reactions: Drew1208
Moving on to the next one, anyone have any insight how good they will be? Obviously after Nichols, we can’t take anyone for granted. With the emotion and hype of a new arena, should be a contest for at least the first half. I admittedly know nothing about them.

Neither do I. Attending tomorrow so I'll find out firsthand.

Neither do I. Attending tomorrow so I'll find out firsthand.

I will watch on TV to find out as well.

Sagarin has them at #337 and his current numbers would predict a Pitt win by about 15 points. However, we know all too well how we did against the then #294 ranked Sagarin team the last game so I am not counting on anything.

Notre Dame had a 19 point half time lead and beat these guys 92-57 in South Bend.

So, a blowout win would make me feel better about this Pitt team's prospects going forward (i.e., seemingly lessons learned from Nichols St. game).

On the other hand, any result at or below a 15 point win will keep me very anxious about the remainder of the season resulting in an improvement over last season.

Sagarin has them at #337 and his current numbers would predict a Pitt win by about 15 points. However, we know all too well how we did against the then #294 ranked Sagarin team the last game so I am not counting on anything.

Notre Dame had a 19 point half time lead and beat these guys 92-57 in South Bend.

So, a blowout win would make me feel better about this Pitt team's prospects going forward (i.e., seemingly lessons learned from Nichols St. game).

On the other hand, any result at or below a 15 point win will keep me very anxious about the remainder of the season resulting in an improvement over last season.
Robert Morris will be psyched, a home game in the new arena and Pitt losing to Nicholls State gives even the most lowly encouragement.

On TV? What channel?

We will find out if Pitt can respond. Regardless of new arena they are not a good team. A focused Pitt team puts this game out of reach at halftime

Going to the game tomorrow. I hope it’s an entertaining game & RMU at least keeps it close.

RMU will need a good 3 pt shooting game to beat Pitt imo. We’ll see what happens.

Going to the game tomorrow. I hope it’s an entertaining game & RMU at least keeps it close.

RMU will need a good 3 pt shooting game to beat Pitt imo. We’ll see what happens.

If Pitt is the team we thought it was after the FSU win it will win by at least 20. On the other hand, if it is the team that lost to Nichols St. it will have trouble winning by even 10. The 15 point prediction is for a team that is in reality midway between those two extremes of performance.

If Pitt is the team we thought it was after the FSU win it will win by at least 20. On the other hand, if it is the team that lost to Nichols St. it will have trouble winning by even 10. The 15 point prediction is for a team that is in reality midway between those two extremes of performance.

Ya I can agree. Unless RMU whips out something really impressive they haven’t shown yet this year, Pitt will have to play poorly for them to have a chance.

All in all, looking forward to a good game & atmosphere tomorrow.

Anyone else going to the game?

Man I wish I could be there but I'm coming back from FL so I'll watch it on my phone in the airport and get the final when I land.

Really hoping we come to play and play both smart and hard to get a blowout win similar to what Notre Dame put on these guys in South Bend. That is what is needed to get the bad taste of the Nichols State game mostly out of the way.

However, I am not counting on it at this point.

Reactions: jctrack
Nicholls State had very quick guards and wings who could shoot from deep and mid-range. I don't think RMU has the speed to blow by us on the wing like that (whether we checked out or not).

Also don't think RMU will hit 11 three-pointers or 78% of their free throws.

Pitt by 15.

Reactions: Elsalvador
Really hoping we come to play and play both smart and hard to get a blowout win similar to what Notre Dame put on these guys in South Bend. That is what is needed to get the bad taste of the Nichols State game mostly out of the way.

However, I am not counting on it at this point.

My guess is Capel has really gotten into our players' heads about the
last game and brought them back down to earth. ....Do what I'm preaching
or your ass is sitting.
I'm pretty sure they know he means it when he
says it. I'm expecting X and Trey to return to their normal games. If not,
we're gonna have some long term problems.
One thing I wonder about is how Murphy fits in now that he's gotten so
much attention. His performance warrants that attention. The question
is how readily do Trey and X accept sharing the spotlight with the new
guy? That's the stuff that ruins chemistry on a team. IMO Capel is
also addressing this, if he sees it as an issue.

Reactions: jctrack
Nicholls State had very quick guards and wings who could shoot from deep and mid-range. I don't think RMU has the speed to blow by us on the wing like that (whether we checked out or not).

Also don't think RMU will hit 11 three-pointers or 78% of their free throws.

Pitt by 15.

Pitt by only 15 would be very disappointing unless Robert Morris reduces a 25 point or better lead in the last few minutes against the end of the Pitt bench.

I say this because if we are going to be a good enough team to win that 9-10 OOC games and 5-7 ACC games we are hoping for this year; then, a team that can only win by 15 against these guys is highly unlikely to be able to put together even that modestly improved 14-17 win season.

Here's a great write up I just received from a 1st Class RMU Fan ...

"Currently, due to injuries and a couple of freshmen that are not ready to play there are only 9 scholarship players available. As a result, RMU has no true small forwards available, so they are starting three guards, the tallest is "listed" at 6'2". The PG and SG are brothers, Jon and Josh Williams. Both are solid, experienced players, but not spectacular. Josh is an excellent three-point shooter, so I am sure he will be a focus of Pitt's defense.

The other starting guard is Dante Tracey, a sophomore who should be a decent NEC player, but far from an ACC player. A guard that comes off the bench, McEwen, is quick and can play, he is listed at 6' but is probably closer to 5'8" and has trouble guarding bigger players. The two experienced "big" men for RMU, Bain, and Mendy are good NEC players but have trouble going against higher level bigs. Bain is a good outside shooter but runs hot and cold. There are three JUCOs that should be very good for RMU but are still making the transition and learning the system. Hawkins, a guard, and Bramah, a forward both have high-level athletic talent and can make plays. They both lack outside shooting ability. The other JUCO is a burly 6'7" center who can rebound and has good inside scoring ability. He played at a run and gun JUCO and is still learning to play defense and that has limited his playing time. As the season goes on, in Conference play, I expect the JUCOs to be big contributors.

Against Notre Dame, the Colonials started out playing aggressive defense but quickly got into foul trouble, NB started hitting some threes, had a couple of breakaways and never looked back. If the Colonials are to compete with Pitt, they will need to be aggressive on defense, yet avoid fouls, and make a high percentage of outside shots. After the loss on Saturday, I am sure Capel will have Pitt ready to play hard. These last few years Matty McConnell provided some grit and the ability to take it up a notch when needed. Currently, the Colonials are missing that type of player.

The Colonials have enough talent to make Pitt work a bit. However, if Pitt plays hard, they may have the same kind of success that ND had against the Colonials."

Last edited:
Here's a great write up I just received from a 1st Class RMU Fan ...

"Currently, due to injuries and a couple of freshmen that are not ready to play there are only 9 scholarship players available. As a result, RMU has no true small forwards available, so they are starting three guards, the tallest is "listed" at 6'2". The PG and SG are brothers, Jon and Josh Williams. Both are solid, experienced players, but not spectacular. Josh is an excellent three-point shooter, so I am sure he will be a focus of Pitt's defense.

The other starting guard is Dante Tracey, a sophomore who should be a decent NEC player, but far from an ACC player. A guard that comes off the bench, McEwen, is quick and can play, he is listed at 6' but is probably closer to 5'8" and has trouble guarding bigger players. The two experienced "big" men for RMU, Bain, and Mendy are good NEC players but have trouble going against higher level bigs. Bain is a good outside shooter but runs hot and cold. There are three JUCOs that should be very good for RMU but are still making the transition and learning the system. Hawkins, a guard, and Bramah, a forward both have high-level athletic talent and can make plays. They both lack outside shooting ability. The other JUCO is a burly 6'7" center who can rebound and has good inside scoring ability. He played at a run and gun JUCO and is still learning to play defense and that has limited his playing time. As the season goes on, in Conference play, I expect the JUCOs to be big contributors.

Against Notre Dame, The Colonials started out playing aggressive defense but quickly got into foul trouble, NB started hitting some threes, had a couple of breakaways and never looked back. If the Colonials are to compete with Pitt, they will need to be aggressive on defense, yet avoid fouls, and make a high percentage of outside shots. After the loss on Saturday, I am sure Capel will have Pitt ready to play hard. These last few years Matty McConnell provided some grit and the ability to take it up a notch when needed. Currently, the Colonials are missing that type of player.

The Colonials have enough talent to make Pitt work a bit. However, if Pitt plays hard, they may have the same kind of success that ND had against the Colonials."
If this isn’t a double digit win, we may have a problem Houston. With that write up, seems like the perfect time for us to play MURPH dawg with the two sophomore guards then experiment with the other spots. Toney would be my odd man out, I dont think all that much of him.

RMU is a good matchup for Pitt. Not big so rebounding shouldn't be an issue and not a team that's going to shoot the lights out from 3. They will play on emotion and with passion and keep it close for awhile. I can see Pitt up by 4-6 at halftime then pulling away in the 2nd and winning by 12-16.

Reactions: CapelsCranberryz
My guess is Capel has really gotten into our players' heads about the
last game and brought them back down to earth. ....Do what I'm preaching
or your ass is sitting.
I'm pretty sure they know he means it when he
says it. I'm expecting X and Trey to return to their normal games. If not,
we're gonna have some long term problems.
One thing I wonder about is how Murphy fits in now that he's gotten so
much attention. His performance warrants that attention. The question
is how readily do Trey and X accept sharing the spotlight with the new
guy? That's the stuff that ruins chemistry on a team. IMO Capel is
also addressing this, if he sees it as an issue.
If they want to win...they'll need to share the bowl. It's a bit of a luxury to have a third competent guard. But the 2 sophs need to mature.

If this isn’t a double digit win, we may have a problem Houston. With that write up, seems like the perfect time for us to play MURPH dawg with the two sophomore guards then experiment with the other spots. Toney would be my odd man out, I dont think all that much of him.

Toney certainly does have his problems. However since RMU isn't all that strong
inside, this just might be the game where he does well. I won't be surprised
if he does.
Bottom line..... X and Trey need to get their heads straight. My guess is Capel
will see that they do.

To repeat yet again. Those anticipating only a 10-15 point win better hope they are wrong on the low side. If they are not wrong, IMHO they better strap themselves in for a very disappointing season--one where we may not even get to the 14 wins we earned last season.

Nichols State would probably beat Robert Morris by 20 or more.

Last edited:
Oooof, 17-0 fun for RMU, foul trouble for Murphy. Not impressed with our focus.

Props to RMU fans, they're loud and excited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT