ADVERTISEMENT

Rocky’s Ramblings

rockypanther

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Aug 10, 2001
1) Burton was so much more in control of the pace and looked steadier then Femi on offense.

2) Femi is becoming X. Without an outside shot he can only drive. And when he does he seems like he is missing the man spotting up in the corner. His shot form isn’t awful. He just does not have good balance on his jump shot and has no confidence.

3) Like Santos a lot. Need to get him 7 or more spot up 3’s a game.

4) Oldapado is a grinder and can rebound and has some post up.

5) Jefress is physically limited. I don’t think it’s just strength. He is just not quick and doesn’t look coordinated in movements with he ball. Though I liked how his shot form looked in his made basket in he zone offense. I personally don’t have high expectations for his long term prospects.

6) Hughley is frustrating. He should not be standing g on the perimeter ever. The furthest out should be the elbow when we are running Horns. We need him in the lane, posting up, or taking short jumpers. But especially on the block. Like every possession. It allows for better spacing. And kick outs to Santos. And passes to cutters. Plus he is just so big. I am also concerned he was benched. After all that happened with him last year and his suspension and possibility of the rejoining of the team, he should be the last one not putting forth effort or being a good teammate. I am worried about the result of the benching.

7) Loved Colliers energy. He needs more time at the 4 as a disruptive and playing in he dunkers spot. He is quick off his feet and can finish well enough. Gives us another rebounder. Especially on the offensive glass.

8) Capel should not with all his past roster trouble and chemistry issues have to bench his two players again. This has happened with too many players in the past going back to Oklahoma. When you bench them it’s because they aren’t listening to you and you are trying to get their attention. He seems to have a problem with getting his best players attention at Pitt.

9) Liked we used some zone. But we aren’t a 2-3 zone team. We don’t rotate quick enough and leave the wings open for easy jumpers. We should be in a 3-2 or 1-3-1 to stop pentetration from the top and have guys closer to close out on the wings.

10) I am not a fan of Horns. I have used it as a coach and it condenses the floor too much. Takes away driving lanes making it even harder for Femi. Because the defense can pack in better. I would exclusively go 4 out and 1 on the dunker spot, Hugley or Collier. From that we could run triangle actions with UCLA and Iverson Cuts. We can also run a pick and roll with Hugley and a guard from the side. I don’t see us run many actual pick and rolls while driving closer to to the basket looking for the dump off. I could start a whole thread of offensive changes I would make but here are a few with what we have.

11) Finally, we need an organized break for transition. Watch video on MSU’s numbered break or Loyola Marymount.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News