ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Gallagher & Quinton Martin

Well…. Martin and guys like, Anthony Speca, Pete Gonzalez, Te’mere Robinson and Lamont Payne will soon be joined on the bench with more WPIAL kids to keep them company like; Xavier Thomas, Brady O’Hara, Dayshaun Burnett, Tiqwai Hayes, Alex Tastch.

They can have their own separate bench. I’m sure they’ll have plenty to talk about. Like how much they aren’t making on NIL money.

Or they can discuss about how guys like Davis, McMillon and some other lower ranked WPIAL are playing at Pitt. They can discuss the Pitt/Kent State game highlights and wonder what it’s like to score a TD like Davis did today or what it’s like to make and interception like McMillon did to stop a drive…

Oh well….They wanted to play in front of a huge crowd and they still can. All they need is a deck of Old Maid cards….

Last edited:
Martin has apparently been banged up in preseason camp from what I read.

I did see that Gallagher played both offense and defense, which was interesting and not what I expected.

Big season-opener for these 2 and they DID not disappoint. Rodney hauled in 1 pass for 288 inches. Martin filled 28 water bottles and gave 47 high fives. Dude is LOVING not playing football.
Gallagher had a catch I think. But why the hate? He’s just a kid that picked a different school. His sister came to Pitt to be a cheerleader or dance team. Their house is just an example of kids making choices for themselves and not for SMF.

Gallagher had a catch I think. But why the hate? He’s just a kid that picked a different school. His sister came to Pitt to be a cheerleader or dance team. Their house is just an example of kids making choices for themselves and not for SMF.
The rumor was that being the local kid, WVU offered Gallagher a generous NIL deal. Hard to say no to that.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Because we’re Pitt fans. I only root for things that benefit Pitt. That means Pitt winning. Local kids coming to Pitt and doing well, etc. I’m not out here rooting for the success of WPIAL kids at the collegiate level.

Because we’re Pitt fans. I only root for things that benefit Pitt. That means Pitt winning. Local kids coming to Pitt and doing well, etc. I’m not out here rooting for the success of WPIAL kids at the collegiate level.
my point is SMF has an axe to grind with the kids. No one has to root for them. Few do. But he obsesses over them.

I'm shocked Narduzzi lets so many of them have a chance to resurrect their careers at Pitt. Seems way too prideful for that.

I'm not sure how I feel about it, either. I guess you do want the best players at the end of the day (though Devonshire was way overrated and not a very "sticky" corner as much as he was a center field opportunist, in my opinion). Just sucks feeling like the fallback school.

It would be better to go to a team to play early and showcase your skills so you can get that big NIL paycheck when you go free agent. Sitting on the bench two years risks getting passed over and no film to entice a booster to drop a wad of cash

This is what I have been saying. A guy like Martin DOES get a huge payday in Year 1 to commit but a place like Pitt has to be able to match that. And they have to sell to these kids that they can come here and play in Year 1 instead of fill water bottles and then if they produce here, they can get a massive Year 2 payday. You dont want to encourage them to look to transfer but you have to hint at it somehow. Lets say Martin came here and did really well this year. Well, next year he'd probably be worth about $1 million or so. Instead, I would gues PSU is going to reduce his NIL deal in half to about 250K or so and he wont have much value in the portal.

I dont want Pitt to be the JV squad for Penn State but the hope is you can get some 4 and 5 stars to come here and play early and then pay them what they need to stay. But if these kids want to play at PSU, I still think its a much bettet plan to come here and play for a few years, actually get on the field and THEN get a huge payday in the portal.

This is what I have been saying. A guy like Martin DOES get a huge payday in Year 1 to commit but a place like Pitt has to be able to match that. And they have to sell to these kids that they can come here and play in Year 1 instead of fill water bottles and then if they produce here, they can get a massive Year 2 payday. You dont want to encourage them to look to transfer but you have to hint at it somehow. Lets say Martin came here and did really well this year. Well, next year he'd probably be worth about $1 million or so. Instead, I would gues PSU is going to reduce his NIL deal in half to about 250K or so and he wont have much value in the portal.

Can they play here on day one? We always say that, but look at some of our recent highly-rated recruits:

Jordan Bass
Elliot Donald
Nahki Johnson
Ryan Baer
Etc.

I thought that area was more of a WVU territory as well.
It is WVU territory. The hospital right near Laurel Highlands high school is WVU Medicine.

Alex Tatsch was also mentioned in this thread. He is as local to PSU as he is to Pitt.

Reactions: Burgh15
It would be better to go to a team to play early and showcase your skills so you can get that big NIL paycheck when you go free agent. Sitting on the bench two years risks getting passed over and no film to entice a booster to drop a wad of cash
BINGO! That’s my feelings exactly. Gallagher probably made the best business decision of the recent local recruits. He’s on the field playing while the other guys are keeping their uniforms clean.

Duzz recruits these young men and builds relationships with their families. He takes them back because he knows what kind of character he’s getting.

The rumor was that being the local kid, WVU offered Gallagher a generous NIL deal. Hard to say no to that.
Yeah I agree with you. It appears maybe they overpaid. But that’s their issue not ours. I prefer to worry about our own house and not obsess over players in others.

By the way you’d think SMF would know that WVU is half the distance from Uniontown than Pitt is.

It's a weird obsession he has with these guys. Like starting 50 threads about them weird.
Some of these guys are like jilted lovers. It’s a strange obsession.

As long as the kid didn’t trash the program or the university who cares. Kids make decisions based on what they think is best for them. Pitt can’t be everything to everybody

Yet many of the same dudes trashing these kids trash the coaches and players at Pitt. Go figure

If he’s not playing hoops he’s not relevant .
I only wanted him on the basketball team .

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Some of these guys are like jilted lovers. It’s a strange obsession.

As long as the kid didn’t trash the program or the university who cares. Kids make decisions based on what they think is best for them. Pitt can’t be everything to everybody

Yet many of the same dudes trashing these kids trash the coaches and players at Pitt. Go figure
You mean like you? I've seen the word "garbage" and a Pitt player and coach in the same sentence lots of times in your posts. I take that as frustration on your part. Overall I like your posts and you are a Pitt fan so I say nothing.

Not picking on you, I'm making a general statement...Most of the heckling towards PSU recruits come from different angles and not directly towards the kids themselves.

From my vantage point it goes toward the parents and gym teachers who think that Pitt is beneath them and their kids. I have heard this directly from parents in the past. So when I see their kid sitting on the bench, I have to chuckle a little bit.

Secondly, there is the animosity towards Jimmy Franks and his arrogance.

My view is that the portal and NIL has changed everything so when a lost soul wants to come back home, I say yes if they can help the team. I have also been on record as saying most of the highly rated players in the WPIAL in recent years have been overrated and I stand by that.

Well…. Martin and guys like, Anthony Speca, Pete Gonzalez, Te’mere Robinson and Lamont Payne will soon be joined on the bench with more WPIAL kids to keep them company like; Xavier Thomas, Brady O’Hara, Dayshaun Burnett, Tiqwai Hayes, Alex Tastch.

They can have their own separate bench. I’m sure they’ll have plenty to talk about. Like how much they aren’t making on NIL money.

Or they can discuss about how guys like Davis, McMillon and some other lower ranked WPIAL are playing at Pitt. They can discuss the Pitt/Kent State game highlights and wonder what it’s like to score a TD like Davis did today or what it’s like to make and interception like McMillon did to stop a drive…

Oh well….They wanted to play in front of a huge crowd and they still can. All they need is a deck of Old Maid cards….
I’d really like to see Derek Davis have a really good year. The so-called “hometown heroes“ might take a more serious look at Pitt.

You mean like you? I've seen the word "garbage" and a Pitt player and coach in the same sentence lots of times in your posts. I take that as frustration on your part. Overall I like your posts and you are a Pitt fan so I say nothing.

Not picking on you, I'm making a general statement...Most of the heckling towards PSU recruits come from different angles and not directly towards the kids themselves.

From my vantage point it goes toward the parents and gym teachers who think that Pitt is beneath them and their kids. I have heard this directly from parents in the past. So when I see their kid sitting on the bench, I have to chuckle a little bit.

Secondly, there is the animosity towards Jimmy Franks and his arrogance.

My view is that the portal and NIL has changed everything so when a lost soul wants to come back home, I say yes if they can help the team. I have also been on record as saying most of the highly rated players in the WPIAL in recent years have been overrated and I stand by that.
Yup. I criticize our coaches and players when they don’t coach or play well. How awful

I’m also one of the few who didn’t trash this team before it played a game this year

But I digress. What does that have to do with being buthurt about a kid choosing another school and being a hypocrite and trashing the program ? You do see the irony in that don’t you ?

Big season-opener for these 2 and they DID not disappoint. Rodney hauled in 1 pass for 288 inches. Martin filled 28 water bottles and gave 47 high fives. Dude is LOVING not playing football.
How many plays did Elliott Donald get in during a blow out? We should have a poll. "Who will have more TFL's and Sacks for the season: ED or SMF? I am leaning towards the latter.

• Haha
Reactions: HOF Coach
Yeah I agree with you. It appears maybe they overpaid. But that’s their issue not ours. I prefer to worry about our own house and not obsess over players in others.

By the way you’d think SMF would know that WVU is half the distance from Uniontown than Pitt is.

Gallagher is terrible. He couldn't play here and I wouldn't take him as a transfer. For him, I am not like jealous or whatever that he picked WVU. I just like to see local recruits who dont go to Pitt fail. I know most of you hope these guys have great careers at othet places but I do not.

Martin is a freak talent but doesn't have a position. So he's going to fill water bottles for 3 or 4 years.

I’d really like to see Derek Davis have a really good year. The so-called “hometown heroes“ might take a more serious look at Pitt.

McMillon is the next local star. Surprising since there seemed to be bad blood with his recruitment, never expected him to return here. But in today's college football world, nothing is impossible

Yup. I criticize our coaches and players when they don’t coach or play well. How awful

I’m also one of the few who didn’t trash this team before it played a game this year

But I digress. What does that have to do with being buthurt about a kid choosing another school and being a hypocrite and trashing the program ? You do see the irony in that don’t you ?
I'm not sure I follow, but I'll attempt to answer....

Speaking for myself.. I don't trash the program and I'm not butthurt at a kid choosing another school. I only laugh at the parents and teachers who think their kid is beneath Pitt or they get talked into going to PSU by Jimmy Franks and sit for 2-3 years and losing money. Do I dislike Jimmy Franks? Absolutely. It definitely effects my bias.

If I were putting down the kids, I would be laughing at Rodney Gallagher and I'm not. He made a wise decision. So did Bradley Gompers by choosing Duke.

Now if you're speaking in general terms and not directed towards my rebuttal, then.....

"What does that have to do with being buthurt about a kid choosing another school and being a hypocrite and trashing the program ?"

I do, but lots of times as I said it's just frustration, especially after a loss. It's just blowing steam... But if you see it constantly from the same posters (not mentioning names), then yeah, it's pretty annoying.

If he’s not playing hoops he’s not relevant .
I only wanted him on the basketball team .
McMillon is the next local star. Surprising since there seemed to be bad blood with his recruitment, never expected him to return here. But in today's college football world, nothing is impossible
Was just about to say to SMF that Donovan is a kid I had no interest in bringing back. I was wrong about him.

SMF will then trash the kids when they transfer after a year and say we developed them just to leave

SMF will then trash the kids when they transfer after a year and say we developed them just to leave

No, I dont. I said the guys that left made smart business decisions. I said Addison made a good decision. These kids signing up to sit for 3-4 years are making very bad decisions. So much more money to be made by balling out at Pitt in Year 1 or Year 2 and then hitting the portal or getting what you need from Pitt.

Was just about to say to SMF that Donovan is a kid I had no interest in bringing back. I was wrong about him.

I didnt like how McMillon handled his twittering. I think he listed like a Final 12 and then cut it to a Final 10 and then Pitt wasnt in the Final 10. I think I said something like he's the typical rich school kid who felt he was too good for Pitt. But I do take those kids back if they are good enough. A kid like Gallagher, I wouldn't take him back because he is bad at football.

Gallagher is terrible. He couldn't play here and I wouldn't take him as a transfer. For him, I am not like jealous or whatever that he picked WVU. I just like to see local recruits who dont go to Pitt fail. I know most of you hope these guys have great careers at othet places but I do not.

Martin is a freak talent but doesn't have a position. So he's going to fill water bottles for 3 or 4 years.
You're full of crap. Every board has one of you. With PSU it's that arrogant prick landocommando and here it's you. You criticized Gallagher for not playing/doing much as a true freshman when not many do. Now, one game into the season and you're still calling him terrible. But every time he touches the ball he shows terrific quickness and juke and jive. Just maybe, Brown isn't utilizing him as much as he should have Saturday? Sometimes coaches don't always know what to do with certain players like Gerry Faust at ND. It's not always because the player hasn't earned it.

You're full of crap. Every board has one of you. With PSU it's that arrogant prick landocommando and here it's you. You criticized Gallagher for not playing/doing much as a true freshman when not many do. Now, one game into the season and you're still calling him terrible. But every time he touches the ball he shows terrific quickness and juke and jive. Just maybe, Brown isn't utilizing him as much as he should have Saturday? Sometimes coaches don't always know what to do with certain players like Gerry Faust at ND. It's not always because the player hasn't earned it.

He is TERRIBLE. Couldn't even win games against Fayette and Westmoreland County girls teams despite having another D1 (FCS) player on his team. He will probably be joining him at St. Francis soon because Rodney isnt an FBS caliber player. TERRIBLE.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT