ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor mill from PSN

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/08/pitt-basketball-coaching-candidate-rumor-mill/

- Crean not interested but may be interested in Penn State if that opens (if PSU loses Carr and Stevens to NBA, PSU should probably fire him). For PSU, Crean would be a grand slam.

- Hurley "eyeing" UConn. As I've said, if we lose him to UConn, it has to be for reasons other than money. UConn is broker than broke.

- Louisville holds all the Cards (pun intended). If they hire Mack, Matta goes back to Xavier. If they dont hire Mack, Matta is a possibility here.

- Earl Grant mention

- Ben Jacobson's name popping up again but the implosion in the NCAAT 2 years ago may have been the beginning of the end for him. He's gone 14-16 and 16-16 since.

Reactions: hailtopitt25
http://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/03/08/pitt-basketball-coaching-candidate-rumor-mill/

- Crean not interested but may be interested in Penn State if that opens (if PSU loses Carr and Stevens to NBA, PSU should probably fire him). For PSU, Crean would be a grand slam.

- Hurley "eyeing" UConn. As I've said, if we lose him to UConn, it has to be for reasons other than money. UConn is broker than broke.

- Louisville holds all the Cards (pun intended). If they hire Mack, Matta goes back to Xavier. If they dont hire Mack, Matta is a possibility here.

- Earl Grant mention

- Ben Jacobson's name popping up again but the implosion in the NCAAT 2 years ago may have been the beginning of the end for him. He's gone 14-16 and 16-16 since.

-This list is terrible.

-Louisville? Their entire athletic department is on probation, they just forfeited a National Title because of a sex scandal, their AD was fired, and more sanctions are coming with more penalties and restrictions, what leverage do they have? None

-Enfield from USC? USC is being investigated heavily for paying players and corrupted cheating. Enfield wont even get called this time around.

-Ben Jacobson has crashed and burned the last 2 years. No chance.

-Crean- Good riddance, never wanted him

-Hurley? Not bad, but would rather have his Hurley from ASU.

-Matta or Musselman are the 2 Big Players from the early names

Reactions: hailtopitt25

- Earl Grant mention

All of that is really, really sad.

If true it means the people that said Pitt couldn’t get anyone better than Stallings last time were essentially correct.

Just a very sad statement.

Hurley "eyeing" UConn? ...doubt it. UConn oggling him, though. Obviously they're one school in the mix... IF he's ready to leave Rhody.

And Crean interested in PSU, no interest in Pitt? Would love to know the additional details behind that if true. That's counterintuitive and sounds like the unsubstantiated, passive-aggressive blurtings of my PSU buddies when they're bored and just trying to flame a Pitt grad.

PSN was a big supporter of keeping Stallings. So far the only person who has had some legit info (and it tears me up to give him credit) is Filiponi from the Fan

He 1st reported the meeting was going to happen yesterday. He also said Crean not interested. We will see in the next 10 day's or so

Reactions: PerchMan
Xavier will be crushed by the FBI. They are as dirty as the come. More dirt on them then Arizona
PSN was a big supporter of keeping Stallings. So far the only person who has had some legit info (and it tears me up to give him credit) is Filiponi from the Fan

He 1st reported the meeting was going to happen yesterday. He also said Crean not interested. We will see in the next 10 day's or so

Reactions: PantherSouth
Hurley "eyeing" UConn? ...doubt it. UConn oggling him, though. Obviously they're one school in the mix... IF he's ready to leave Rhody.

And Crean interested in PSU, no interest in Pitt? Would love to know the additional details behind that if true. That's counterintuitive and sounds like the unsubstantiated, passive-aggressive blurtings of my PSU buddies when they're bored and just trying to flame a Pitt grad.
Yeah, that one doesn't hold water. Not so much saying Pitt is the end-all-be-all, but PSU is just a black hole for basketball.

He's also reporting he's in the know regarding who's being looked at and it is not a current mid major coach that will be in the ncaa tournmanent this season. So guys like Matta and Jent I would have to believe are very much in play.

Yeah, that one doesn't hold water. Not so much saying Pitt is the end-all-be-all, but PSU is just a black hole for basketball.

Think about it though. From Crean's perspective:

- Fans weren't satisfied with Dixon and didnt give Stallings a chance

- Chambers was given 7 years at Penn State and many of their fans are so impressed by this season, they actually think he is a good coach.

- Crean is comfortable recruiting the midwest

Who knows what info PSN has but I don't think its crazy. That said, chances are that Chambers is back next year. It all depends on what Carr and Stevens do. Even if they leave, he will probably be back though he may want to duck out of town like DeChellis and Dixon.

Don't forget PSN and vuk had Sean Miller in Oakland 2 years ago.

I also don't think any radio host from the fan that covers pitt for a weekend or two every winter knows what's going on.

These guys are no different than any of us. We have a bunch of names, some will fling mud at the bullseye, and someone will be right and have some revisionist history "see...i predicted coach x all along."

- Chambers was given 7 years at Penn State and many of their fans are so impressed by this season, they actually think he is a good coach.

Who knows what info PSN has but I don't think its crazy. That said, chances are that Chambers is back next year. It all depends on what Carr and Stevens do. Even if they leave, he will probably be back though he may want to duck out of town like DeChellis and Dixon.

I can see that he might prefer to work in the Big Ten.

I don't think how Stallings was quote treated unquote is going to factor in for anyone. He broke the ACC record for losses in conference play, literally did not win a conference game. Fans being mean to him or whatever he needs nothing when you look at his actual performance as a coach during his time at Pitt.

Same with the stuff with Dixon, this is something pit fans are obsessed on much more than anyone else. End of the day Dixon burn out a bit here, went for a big check to work at his alma mater. Cream or any coach who's been around will get that.

But again it isn't so much about how awesome pit is as Penn State is a liberal black hole when it comes to basketball. However long Chambers has been there, they've been through their share of coaches to, and literally have one nothing ever in basketball.

The BJC is a good multi-purpose Arena, but it is not a place that any top coach in this day and age is going to want to have his home games in college basketball. And people want to talk about support for programs till they're blue in the face with pit, there is absolutely no culture in Penn State that would support a viable men's basketball program.

The list isn't credible and poorly researched. I suppose Earl Grant is a possibility, but the rest that they mentioned are either completely out of the running and not possible or not desirable.

The list doesn't even mention names that I would hope Pitt is looking at, if they want to get this right and do something differently than they did with Stallings.

- Earl Grant mention

As always, PSN knows nothing. Crean would never choose to coach at PSU if Pitt really wanted him and Mike DeCourcey said yesterday Thad Matta will not be going back to Xavier, said his previous tenure there was not good, relationship with administration and community was strained.

Reactions: balboa10

Fear not my friend and stop the tears, Poni wasnt the first person to report, I dont think. I saw it on Twitter (dont recall who- my ADHD ACTING UP) late Wed night, prior to listening to the Fan Thurs. PSN, Vuk, and Saunders crying rivers about no press conference and backing a coach who has lost a combined *25* straight conference games disgusts me.

These half assed bloggers dont know any more than me and you but they got the airwaves/blogospheres and pedantics.

Reactions: Jpripper88
As always, PSN knows nothing. Crean would never choose to coach at PSU if Pitt really wanted him and Mike DeCourcey said yesterday Thad Matta will not be going back to Xavier, said his previous tenure there was not good, relationship with administration and community was strained.
I was just about to post the same thing. Decourcy mentioned Matta did not enjoy Xavier and he seems to have a close relationship with Thad.

Reactions: Haydman

- Earl Grant mention

Did the article also contain this breaking news?

BREAKING: Just found out #Pitt offered Sean Miller the head coaching job. Miller is in town now. No deal yet. https://t.co/I3JU5YwyDW #kdka

— Rich Walsh KDKA (@RichieWalsh) March 22, 2016

CeLOgKhUUAA2-hH.jpg

Don't forget from a guy like Crean (remember his wife is a Harbaugh and also a Pitt grad) that PSU and the Big 10 he sees an easier path to success than at Pitt in the much tougher ACC.

We are going to end up with Brandon Knight. All signs are pointing at it.....

Either Pitt is going to have to really pay up ala what Va Tech did, or they always will be dealing with unprovens and Plan C type coaches.

I'm fairly certain any coach who hasn't grabbed a player and threatened to kill him is better than a Stallings.
The player was acting like a total ass , dislike KS for his failure at Pitt , but not for expecting better from one of his players . Bad choose of words though .

Pitt was a program on the rise when Ben left and Pitt failed to attract any interest from top coaches . There’s no JD on Stallings staff . Pitt is now the second worst P6 program not an enticing proposition . Heather better be a good saleswoman with a fat wallet .

No way Crean would want to go to,Penn State!!!!!

Get real.

True, they have zero respect, but they can pay a ton of money. if Crean is interested in money, then he would be interested in penn state... like any recruit or coach that is interested in moving to pennsyltucky and working for a university that allowed child rape.

Sam Werner or one of the other guys from the PG was on da fan last night with @thirteenNINE 's best friend paul zeise. Werner said straight up that hurley doesn't want to leave New England, so UCONN is a natural fit for him.

Pitt has and will be reaching out to as many as ten candidates most likely eight. The financial parameters of what Pitt is planning on offering has been communicated to the representatives and from I gather Pitt is being very aggressive they have also been told by Pitt that is a confidential search and representatives must respect the process and if any word gets out to the media on who Pitt has or will be interviewing that candidate will be eliminated. Heather is running the show

I don't see Danny Hurley. All word is that he wants to stay in that area and it's either RI or UConn.

- Earl Grant mention

That Vuckovan is right on top of things.

Pitt has and will be reaching out to as many as ten candidates most likely eight. The financial parameters of what Pitt is planning on offering has been communicated to the representatives and from I gather Pitt is being very aggressive they have also been told by Pitt that is a confidential search and representatives must respect the process and if any word gets out to the media on who Pitt has or will be interviewing that candidate will be eliminated. Heather is running the show

If this is indeed true, I respect and applaud AD Heather Lyke.

Tell the jocks on The Fan to STFU since none of them know even as much as we do. I doubt any of them have even mentioned the name of who will really become our next HC.

Reactions: PerchMan
The typical Pitt hire would be Knight or Jent. Hopefully she surprises us and makes a good hire.

Narduzzi extension and some of the Olympic sports would disagree with you. I trust in Heather, I think she is hitting a nice stride and she just proved by canning this jabroni that she's not going to stand for failure. But you're right, this will be a big test for her, and we have bad tastes in our mouth with recent crap hires.

BANG. Go Heather Go. I'm duly impressed with her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT