ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor mill from PSN

Pitt was a program on the rise when Ben left and Pitt failed to attract any interest from top coaches . There’s no JD on Stallings staff . Pitt is now the second worst P6 program not an enticing proposition . Heather better be a good saleswoman with a fat wallet .

Skip Prosser accepted the job and then changed his mind. He was a top ACC coach at the time.

Reactions: bwh05
Pitt’s history of botching these issues will not allow that. Sorry.

You have to admit they nailed 2 out of the last 3 MBB coaches.

But time will tell. I think the fans will be disappointed regardless because it won't be a big name. However I think they will get a good coach.

Pitt has and will be reaching out to as many as ten candidates most likely eight. The financial parameters of what Pitt is planning on offering has been communicated to the representatives and from I gather Pitt is being very aggressive they have also been told by Pitt that is a confidential search and representatives must respect the process and if any word gets out to the media on who Pitt has or will be interviewing that candidate will be eliminated. Heather is running the show
So if Coach K comes out and says “I’d like to try something different and coach Pitt” Heather is going to say “Sorry, Mike, you blabbed, you’re out”.

Let’s hope that she is not that petty and is not going to cut off options with such a ridiculous rule. Pitt’s the seller here, they are not the buyer—the buyer sets the rules.

Think about it though. From Crean's perspective:

- Fans weren't satisfied with Dixon and didnt give Stallings a chance

- Chambers was given 7 years at Penn State and many of their fans are so impressed by this season, they actually think he is a good coach.

- Crean is comfortable recruiting the midwest

Who knows what info PSN has but I don't think its crazy. That said, chances are that Chambers is back next year. It all depends on what Carr and Stevens do. Even if they leave, he will probably be back though he may want to duck out of town like DeChellis and Dixon.

Your consistent support of PedU is unusual for a Pitt fan. :confused:

So if Coach K comes out and says “I’d like to try something different and coach Pitt” Heather is going to say “Sorry, Mike, you blabbed, you’re out”.

Let’s hope that she is not that petty and is not going to cut off options with such a ridiculous rule. Pitt’s the seller here, they are not the buyer—the buyer sets the rules.

Yeah that does sound really stupid, no way that’s happening. Pitt is the one that needs to cater to the higher level guys, not the other way around.

“Sorry Thad Matta, your agent leaked that you were interested. You’re out!”

Chris Mack goes nowhere period. He's had multiple offers over the last 5 years and never even hinted at any of them. A Cincinnati native and has lived there his whole life, X alum, guiding his school to a likely #1 seed. May not be everyone's dream job but it is his.

Matta won't return anywhere if he doesn't think he's healthy. If he does, and chooses Pitt, that's as good of a hire as we can make.

He didn’t take the job

He didn't take the job because people in the ACC office got to him and told him that the ACC was about to raid the Big East and that he shouldn't go to a league that was about to fall apart.

I'm pretty sure no one is going to tell the next potential coach that the ACC is about to be raided and will soon be imploding.

He didn't take the job because people in the ACC office got to him and told him that the ACC was about to raid the Big East and that he shouldn't go to a league that was about to fall apart.

I'm pretty sure no one is going to tell the next potential coach that the ACC is about to be raided and will soon be imploding.
Did he or did he not take the job ...just the facts ...he didn’t . No one else wanted the job either and after the players campaigned for JD they hired him . Just the facts Joe . The BE was only the best conference in the country then !

Did he or did he not take the job ...just the facts ...he didn’t . No one else wanted the job either and after the players campaigned for JD they hired him . Just the facts Joe . The BE was only the best conference in the country then !

I know you don't want anything ruining your narrative, but what I posted was just the facts. Just the facts Fs.

Reactions: Black_Man_Panther
Skip Prosser parlayed his disingenuous interest in the Pitt HC vacancy into a huge raise and contract restructuring at Wake Forest. He never had any real interest in the Pitt job. Because he died 2 years later while still coaching, he was anointed with sainthood by the NCAA.

I know you don't want anything ruining your narrative, but what I posted was just the facts. Just the facts Fs.
The facts are a very attractive job was available with a team on the rise in the best bb conference in the country and Pitt was unable to sign any top flight established coach , any up and coming mid major guy and lucky for them they then offered the job to the right untested assistant . Those are the facts Joe !
Ps...No narrative just the facts .

-This list is terrible.

-Louisville? Their entire athletic department is on probation, they just forfeited a National Title because of a sex scandal, their AD was fired, and more sanctions are coming with more penalties and restrictions, what leverage do they have? None

-Enfield from USC? USC is being investigated heavily for paying players and corrupted cheating. Enfield wont even get called this time around.

-Ben Jacobson has crashed and burned the last 2 years. No chance.

-Crean- Good riddance, never wanted him

-Hurley? Not bad, but would rather have his Hurley from ASU.

-Matta or Musselman are the 2 Big Players from the early names

Why would you rather have Hurley from ASU? Because he was a better player? Well Danny is the better coach

The facts are a very attractive job was available with a team on the rise in the best bb conference in the country and Pitt was unable to sign any top flight established coach , any up and coming mid major guy and lucky for them they then offered the job to the right untested assistant . Those are the facts Joe !
Ps...No narrative just the facts .

Once again you completely miss the point that the Big East was about to be raided and there was reason to think it likely that the Big East was going to be a damaged entity going forward. Do you really not remember what was going on and what was being said when all that went down? Apparently not.

And after Prosser turned them down they immediately offered the job to Dixon. There was no courting of top flight established coaches, there was no going after up and coming mid major guys, they identified the guy they wanted and would have had him had the conference shenanigans not been about to get cranked up, and then they immediately turned to a guy that they knew would accept the job. If you want to call that a panic hire at some level you'd probably be right, but that hire and the timing of it precluded the consideration of any other potential candidates.

You know, for someone who is so sure they know what happened you really don't seem to remember or understand what was going on and what actually happened at all. Why is that not surprising?

Once again you completely miss the point that the Big East was about to be raided and there was reason to think it likely that the Big East was going to be a damaged entity going forward. Do you really not remember what was going on and what was being said when all that went down? Apparently not.

And after Prosser turned them down they immediately offered the job to Dixon. There was no courting of top flight established coaches, there was no going after up and coming mid major guys, they identified the guy they wanted and would have had him had the conference shenanigans not been about to get cranked up, and then they immediately turned to a guy that they knew would accept the job. If you want to call that a panic hire at some level you'd probably be right, but that hire and the timing of it precluded the consideration of any other potential candidates.

You know, for someone who is so sure they know what happened you really don't seem to remember or understand what was going on and what actually happened at all. Why is that not surprising?
The BE only collapsed when Pitt , Cuse , Louisville and ND joined the ACC which was 8/9 yrs later .
If I remember correctly they singled Prosser out but interviewed other candidates . The players petitioned for JD after Prosser backed out and with no other takers hire JD who they didn’t really want .

The BE only collapsed when Pitt , Cuse , Louisville and ND joined the ACC which was 8/9 yrs later .
If I remember correctly they singled Prosser out but interviewed other candidates . The players petitioned for JD after Prosser backed out and with no other takers hire JD who they didn’t really want .
It collapsed when BC, Miami, and VT left. It was only buying its time from there. No way was USF and UConn going to make up for those departures in football.

Heck, the conference was dead in the water all the way back in the 80’s when it didn’t take Penn State.

It collapsed when BC, Miami, and VT left. It was only buying its time from there. No way was USF and UConn going to make up for those departures in football.

Heck, the conference was dead in the water all the way back in the 80’s when it didn’t take Penn State.
Guess you didn’t attend games during JDs great yrs then . The BE was a great BB conference .

Guess you didn’t attend games during JDs great yrs then . The BE was a great BB conference .
I did attend games and it was a great basketball conference, probably the best at its peak.

But my biggest grief with it was that it was never sustainable. A basketball-dominant conference in a football-dominant world and you had schools who were in the Big East for some sports and not for others. It’d be like using a Corvette to drive off-roads. When they took on the replacements, I felt like it was only a matter of time.

I did attend games and it was a great basketball conference, probably the best at its peak.

But my biggest grief with it was that it was never sustainable. A basketball-dominant conference in a football-dominant world and you had schools who were in the Big East for some sports and not for others. It’d be like using a Corvette to drive off-roads. When they took on the replacements, I felt like it was only a matter of time.
Pitt went where the money is , can’t blame them for that . There was great bb played in the BE and it’s shame it couldn’t continue , but it’s all about the money .

No one would argue that. It was the football side that took the big hit when those schools left, and set the stage for what was to come.

You don't. That's the problem.

Well, that and the fact that you are a bigger Kevin Stallings fan than you are a Pitt fan.
Only the facts Joe your straying . I guess I’ve been rooting for KS for over 40 yrs . Because I think a university should stand for doing the right thing doesn’t make me a KS fan . Sign a contract abide by it .

Only the facts Joe your straying . I guess I’ve been rooting for KS for over 40 yrs . Because I think a university should stand for doing the right thing doesn’t make me a KS fan . Sign a contract abide by it .

You are a Kevin Stallings fan because you stood up for him through, well, not thick and thin but thin and thinner, right up until it was obvious that there was no way that he'd be back next year. And now you would rather Pitt pay him lots of money rather than even explore the possibility that there might be a reason that can get the severance reduced. You obviously care more about Stallings than Pitt. It's odd, but it's also the fact. You can pretend otherwise all you want, but post after post after post shows what you really think.

Reactions: Pittx9 and levance2
You are a Kevin Stallings fan because you stood up for him through, well, not thick and thin but thin and thinner, right up until it was obvious that there was no way that he'd be back next year. And now you would rather Pitt pay him lots of money rather than even explore the possibility that there might be a reason that can get the severance reduced. You obviously care more about Stallings than Pitt. It's odd, but it's also the fact. You can pretend otherwise all you want, but post after post after post shows what you really think.
You and Mr Knowitall are delusional to be polite . I went from trying to give KS a chance in very trying circumstances, , and yes I think what JD left him minus Cam ( a team that couldn’t beat a good junior
college ) and then Luther qualifies as very trying circumstances if you play in the ACC to realizing that the hole was too deep for him to ever get Pitt competitive again under his leadership . Rooting for the man whose coaching your team to succeed seems the only logical approach for a fan and that doesn’t mean for a second I endorsed his hire or his coaching .
I’m also totally aware that a team comprised of inexperienced unheralded freshman will struggle against some of the most talented teams and players in the country. When a team is overmatched at every position it’s pretty easy to look far worse than you really are . Stats don’t tell you everything , but you don’t understand that , do you ? I do believe that had he stayed the teams play would’ve improved , but not enough to ever bring the paying customers back .
The sad truth is that even though these freshman are the best group of freshman since Artis and Young they just aren’t good enough by themselves to change the direction of Pitt bb .
As far as his contract is concerned forcing JD out was purely an attempt at saving money and hiring Stallings was a colossal mistake compounded by giving him a 6 yr guranateed deal . Unless there’s something we aren’t privy too there nothing he’s done that gives Pitt cause to fire him other than being a bad coach for them . If they’re using the Louisville incident or the Luther incident as just cause just pay the man and be done with it . One lump sum he’ll take a discount , but if I was him I say screw you Pitt pay me the money you were dumb enough to guranatee me .
Guess what that doesn’t make me a anything other than a Pitt bb fan and that I want whomever the coach is to be successful .

Correct.

If the Big East had not created a football division, it would have imploded by the early 1990s. And even that could not save the league as it was. Miami was trying to0 get into the ACC, as was VT, from before the creation of BE football and right until the invite came.

It was so obvious to BE power brokers that if the ACC could be persuaded to expand that the BE would lose any schools the ACC wanted that Mike Aresco offered to allow the ACC to 'borrow' the first four BE football members (BC, Syracuse, Pitt, Miami) as long as the ACC allowed each of them to remain in BE basketball.

They were willing to kill BE football to keep BE basketball at full strength, because they knew that was the best they could get whenever the ACC decided it has to expand to keep pace with the SEC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT