ADVERTISEMENT

Rushing with Whipp

Jsr862

Redshirt
Nov 8, 2017
I was curious to see how bad UMass was during Whipples time there at running the ball and to my surprise.. Least in 2018 UMass had a decent run game as well. I understand the competitive difference in teams played, but they least had a 700 yard rusher and then some. Makes me wonder what really is going on here and yes can blame Whipple for some of the play calling when It doesnt work..but I have a hard time saying it's just the way Whipple draws up the plays as they seemed to work nicely year prior to showing up.

Pitt's rushing problem is Borbley. He is a horrible coach. The OL talent is not all world here but it is better then how they are performing. I have not seen one of the OL not named Morrissey improve. With a better OL would Whipple improve? Probably, but he is still bad. No rhyme or reason to his calls.

Reactions: cpc247
The run-game issues are at least 80% on Borbs considering you can lay almost all the blame on the o-line. The remaining 20% still goes to Whip though, his handling of the RB rotation is questionable.

Reactions: Mikefln
Whipple's total rushing yardage rankings (out of 129 D1 teams) since 2014:

UMASS:
  • 2014: 112
  • 2015: 102
  • 2016: 124
  • 2017: 99
  • 2018: 102
PITT
  • 2019: 119
  • 2020: 111

So his teams have never been any good at running the ball--in fact they have been among the nation's worst since 2014--which makes him an even more curious hire for our primitive-minded coach.

Frankly I don't give a $hit how we move the ball and get in the end zone, run, pass, special teams, defensive scores, whatever, but it's not like our passing offense is some juggernaut either. Expecting this guy to outperform his historical norms is unrealistic.

Whipple's total rushing yardage rankings (out of 129 D1 teams) since 2014:

UMASS:
  • 2014: 112
  • 2015: 102
  • 2016: 124
  • 2017: 99
  • 2018: 102
PITT
  • 2019: 119
  • 2020: 111

So his teams have never been any good at running the ball--in fact they have been among the nation's worst since 2014--which makes him an even more curious hire for our primitive-minded coach.

Frankly I don't give a $hit how we move the ball and get in the end zone, run, pass, special teams, defensive scores, whatever, but it's not like our passing offense is some juggernaut either. Expecting this guy to outperform his historical norms is unrealistic.
This program needs to recruit to a certain identity. If it’s quick trapping linemen or massive zone blockers this needs to be established. Pitt is not going to get the highly rated linemen but it looks like they’re aiming for massive sized linemen based on the past two years and the current crop Of recruits. Envious of ND’s size. They’re taller and broader than all of their opponents. The skilled players being recruited look to fit Whipple’s idea of an O. Patience is needed because of the turnover of coordinators. But nobody wants to wait. Duzz needs to make the right hire for this O. He’s failed.

Pitt will never have consistent depth at OL for an offense dependent on it. They need a coach who can score without a bunch of solid hogmollies blocking.

Reactions: cashisking884
Pitt will never have consistent depth at OL for an offense dependent on it. They need a coach who can score without a bunch of solid hogmollies blocking.

Exactly. The idea that we are going to churn out this consistent mauler of an OL is a pipe dream.

We need an OC that doesn’t require that kind of OL to succeed.

Chryst can do it. As someone mentioned part of it is just saying "This is who we are" and being comfortable with that and working it. The biggest problem I see from Pitt outside of the Canada year is that they have no clue who they want to be. Yes they want to be a running team, but they never committed to a certain style. I always bring up 2018, that was a team built to be a power run team. How many times did drives stall because they would run a read option play and get stuffed.

Chryst can do it. As someone mentioned part of it is just saying "This is who we are" and being comfortable with that and working it. The biggest problem I see from Pitt outside of the Canada year is that they have no clue who they want to be. Yes they want to be a running team, but they never committed to a certain style. I always bring up 2018, that was a team built to be a power run team. How many times did drives stall because they would run a read option play and get stuffed.
Spot on. Narduzzi is run run run and goes out and pays 1/2 of what we would give Canada on a throw it guy. Whole thing makes not sense. Spend the 1 million on the best run game you can find if that what you want.

Reactions: Mikefln
I agree. I find it crazy that during Indy period, the OL literally gets to take a break and just watch the rest of the offense.

:rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying, but if it is as simple as running some drills, then why has there been no improvement by not even 1 player. I said before I feel Houy regressed from his HS days as far as technique goes.

I understand what you are saying, but if it is as simple as running some drills, then why has there been no improvement by not even 1 player. I said before I feel Houy regressed from his HS days as far as technique goes.

It's hard to evaluate and compare technique going from HS to College. In HS, an OL might play with better or worse technique and get away with it because of the sheer size and physicality of the player compared to the competition.

The answer is within the details when it comes to OL. We don't know specifics about the competition.

There wasn't 1 OL that Narduzzi has landed that has been very impressive coming out of HS. That is probably the main reason this OL struggles.

Reactions: IntrospectiveYinzer
Whipple will be gone at the end of the year and there will be a priority to improve the run game.
If improving the run is the only focus we are in for a lot more inept offensive football.

Dooz fired Watson and hired Whipple because the passing game was bottom 5 in D1. Now we can’t run the ball.

Unless the idea is to bring in an OC with some creativity and innovation who will modernize this offense and scrap the tired ass old pro set in favor of some spread and tempo, we might as well just hang onto Whip and keep sucking until Narduzzi is canned. Which IMO should happen after the last game of this season. It won’t, but it should. Just replacing the OC and a couple position coaches won’t cure what ills this program. The failure is from the top down.

If improving the run is the only focus we are in for a lot more inept offensive football.

Dooz fired Watson and hired Whipple because the passing game was bottom 5 in D1. Now we can’t run the ball.

Unless the idea is to bring in an OC with some creativity and innovation who will modernize this offense and scrap the tired ass old pro set in favor of some spread and tempo, we might as well just hang onto Whip and keep sucking until Narduzzi is canned. Which IMO should happen after the last game of this season. It won’t, but it should. Just replacing the OC and a couple position coaches won’t cure what ills this program. The failure is from the top down.

YUP, ALL THIS. Just changing coordinators/coaches isn’t going to make a huge difference. It is an issue that starts at the top.

I don’t know how many more times I can watch our qb’s jog 13.7 miles in four quarters of football.

Well I don’t know what you are expecting but our biggest weakness is our offense. Replacing whipple and fixing the offense is priority 1,2and 3. You get even an avg offense in here with the defensive talent we have lined up, we will compete in the coastal.

it all starts with a new OC.

CT ft
Well I don’t know what you are expecting but our biggest weakness is our offense. Replacing whipple and fixing the offense is priority 1,2and 3. You get even an avg offense in here with the defensive talent we have lined up, we will compete in the coastal.

it all starts with a new OC.
Our biggest weakness has been offense for 4 years and two coordinators now. Two bad OC hires following the best offense in school history. 6 years of under-recruiting the offensive side of the ball. Don't you think the guy doing the hiring is accountable for not having the ability to evaluate the coaches that will hold the second most important job in the program? Don't you think the guy with ultimate responsibiity for building a roster has some accountability for consistently not having adequate offensive personnel? Do you really trust him to pick another OC that will deliver?

CT ft

Our biggest weakness has been offense for 4 years and two coordinators now. Two bad OC hires following the best offense in school history. 6 years of under-recruiting the offensive side of the ball. Don't you think the guy doing the hiring is accountable for not having the ability to evaluate the coaches that will hold the second most important job in the program? Don't you think the guy with ultimate responsibiity for building a roster has some accountability for consistently not having adequate offensive personnel? Do you really trust him to pick another OC that will deliver?
yeah but narduzzi is due with hiring a good OC. statistically speaking of course. if he makes another bad hire, he's out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT