ADVERTISEMENT

Expectations

cruzer

All Conference
Jul 27, 2001
Having been a Pitt fan for over 45 years, I seen the very best and some of the worst of Pitt football. One point that is painful to admit is that over the past 30 years, I've learned that the only way to really watch Pitt football is by having exceedingly low expectations. I expect Pitt to be mediocre because all the evidence of 30 years points to that as the most likely outcome. This season is the poster child for tempering expectations. I initially thought we'd be around 8-4, but 7-5 would not surprise. We'll be lucky to finish at 6-6. Pitt's all about reversion to the mean. We had one good year (good not great) and everyone was yacking about how the program is ready to take the next step and consistently challenge for conference championships (and even some mention of CFP). Here we are halfway through another mediocre season and i'ts clear that low expectations were in order. You simply can't go wrong underestimating Pitt. They hardly ever fail to underachieve.

Well, on to the game. Same logic applies to the game. Low expectations should prevail. I predicted 44-24 (ok, so I was off a point). I have to admit that when we went up by 10 I let just a little optimism creep in. Big mistake. In the back of my head I kept waiting for the inevitable collapse and of course, Pitt obliged. I pretty much knew that Narduzzi's vaunted defense would collapse against a good QB and they folded like a house of cards. As usual, our DB's can't cover. Without pressure from the line, our defense is hot garbage. The DB's are so worried about "staying in phase" that they never actually turn to defend the ball. How the heck are you supposed to stop fades in the end zone if you don't find the ball? And geez am I sick of hearing how great at DB Eric Hallet is. Yes, he's made some plays but he also gets burned in coverage regularly. Every time a receiver gives him the stutter step like he's going block, Hallet bites like a hungry carp and the guy runs right by him. Happened against Louisville and it happened twice against UNC. Of course, Narduzzi probably was quite pleased that his defense stopped the run. We only gave up 86 yards rushing. Mission accomplished Pat.

The worst part of all of this is that Narduzzi should be on the hot seat, but he's not because our brilliant AD decided to extend his contract based on one decent season. Nice move Heather.

I suppose that the only "consolation" is that I've resigned myself to the fact that I will watch mediocre Pitt football until the day I die. At least Pitt will meet my expectations.

Cruzer

Heather is smooth as silk, and has the people of no substance fooled to the hilt, IMO

It would be more efficient if Pitt fans stopped donating to Pitt athletics and started donating to Chinese gain of function research. Pitt football isn't remotely relevant outside of global pandemics.

Having been a Pitt fan for over 45 years, I seen the very best and some of the worst of Pitt football. One point that is painful to admit is that over the past 30 years, I've learned that the only way to really watch Pitt football is by having exceedingly low expectations. I expect Pitt to be mediocre because all the evidence of 30 years points to that as the most likely outcome. This season is the poster child for tempering expectations. I initially thought we'd be around 8-4, but 7-5 would not surprise. We'll be lucky to finish at 6-6. Pitt's all about reversion to the mean. We had one good year (good not great) and everyone was yacking about how the program is ready to take the next step and consistently challenge for conference championships (and even some mention of CFP). Here we are halfway through another mediocre season and i'ts clear that low expectations were in order. You simply can't go wrong underestimating Pitt. They hardly ever fail to underachieve.

Well, on to the game. Same logic applies to the game. Low expectations should prevail. I predicted 44-24 (ok, so I was off a point). I have to admit that when we went up by 10 I let just a little optimism creep in. Big mistake. In the back of my head I kept waiting for the inevitable collapse and of course, Pitt obliged. I pretty much knew that Narduzzi's vaunted defense would collapse against a good QB and they folded like a house of cards. As usual, our DB's can't cover. Without pressure from the line, our defense is hot garbage. The DB's are so worried about "staying in phase" that they never actually turn to defend the ball. How the heck are you supposed to stop fades in the end zone if you don't find the ball? And geez am I sick of hearing how great at DB Eric Hallet is. Yes, he's made some plays but he also gets burned in coverage regularly. Every time a receiver gives him the stutter step like he's going block, Hallet bites like a hungry carp and the guy runs right by him. Happened against Louisville and it happened twice against UNC. Of course, Narduzzi probably was quite pleased that his defense stopped the run. We only gave up 86 yards rushing. Mission accomplished Pat.

The worst part of all of this is that Narduzzi should be on the hot seat, but he's not because our brilliant AD decided to extend his contract based on one decent season. Nice move Heather.

I suppose that the only "consolation" is that I've resigned myself to the fact that I will watch mediocre Pitt football until the day I die. At least Pitt will meet my expectations.

Cruzer
There was legitimate basis for optimism after last season, but it all hinged on (1) a successful transition from Whipball
to Cigball and (2) Solid play from Slovis. Needless to say we didn’t get either.

Spring should have been a big red flag. The signs were that Slovis and the offense were struggling. Then Addison left. I am now convinced it wasn’t just the money-the money was a huge part of it, but I am certain that he didn’t like what he was seeing from his new QB and OC. Now we know why.

Pitt football has perfected the one step forward, two steps back way of doing things.

Shame on Narduzzi for failing to sustain any momentum and progress coming off of last season. Seriously. There is no excuse. And forcing Whipple out, after sticking with him for two lousy years before he finally delivered the best season in school history, was pure idiocy. That 2021 Whipple/Pickett offense made Pitt a top tier destination for high level transfer QBs and WRs and HS skill position talent That lasted all of about a month after the bowl game. Narduzzi didn’t like Whipple and vice versa, fine. But the simple fact is performance is all that matters, and a smart head coach and/or a strong AD would have kept the critical people in place after last year. Whip didn’t get bought away from Pitt like Canada. He got pushed out by his boss, who has proven over and over to be a poor handler of his personnel issues.

It’s astonishing that there’s anyone who still genuinely believes in this head coach. He has squandered every legitimate chance he’s had to bring lasting improvement to this program. Enough is enough. Send him packing.

Cruzer
I agree with a good bit of this. I learned awhile ago to temper expectations, primarily to not buy into the pre-season hype for the team or individual players on the team you could often read here or elsewhere.

But I kind of fell into that trap again this year with the ACCN’s preseason stop to Pitt, them overflowing with praise in how we were so physically imposing and talented that we looked like an NFL camp.

But then the season came along and now, the rest of the story….

Sad state of affairs right now & the question is can Narduzzi turn things around this year & in the future. As a wise Coach (Chuck Noll) once said, "We have problems and they are many". Cruzer I have been a Pitt fan for 60 years, at 70 now I wonder if I will ever see another Champion team ?

Sad state of affairs right now & the question is can Narduzzi turn things around this year & in the future. As a wise Coach (Chuck Noll) once said, "We have problems and they are many". Cruzer I have been a Pitt fan for 60 years, at 70 now I wonder if I will ever see another Champion team ?
I can put this one to rest. NO.

I'm just grateful I was around to see the last one.

Reactions: rickt113
I agree with a good bit of this. I learned awhile ago to temper expectations, primarily to not buy into the pre-season hype for the team or individual players on the team you could often read here or elsewhere.

But I kind of fell into that trap again this year with the ACCN’s preseason stop to Pitt, them overflowing with praise in how we were so physically imposing and talented that we looked like an NFL camp.

But then the season came along and now, the rest of the story….
Completely understand. Tempering expectations or embracing a wait and see attitude is the only way to go if you have been following this program for decades, not years.
We have had two double digit win seasons in 40 years but inevitably every preseason someone predicts 10 or more. I just shake my head.

• Haha
I grew up the child of FSU alums going to FSU games every week. And then I came to Pitt for school at the tail end of Majors 2. Talk about a reality check. My first game was watching us get killed by WVU to start the 1996 season. My expectations have been next to nothing since then.

What I don't like is the feeling that this team is not competitive and certainly unable play from behind. I'd be ok with a down year if the games were at least exciting and it felt like we had more of a chance to win. This season just feels like torture with very little to look forward to next year.

There was legitimate basis for optimism after last season, but it all hinged on (1) a successful transition from Whipball
to Cigball and (2) Solid play from Slovis. Needless to say we didn’t get either.

Spring should have been a big red flag. The signs were that Slovis and the offense were struggling. Then Addison left. I am now convinced it wasn’t just the money-the money was a huge part of it, but I am certain that he didn’t like what he was seeing from his new QB and OC. Now we know why.

Pitt football has perfected the one step forward, two steps back way of doing things.

Shame on Narduzzi for failing to sustain any momentum and progress coming off of last season. Seriously. There is no excuse. And forcing Whipple out, after sticking with him for two lousy years before he finally delivered the best season in school history, was pure idiocy. That 2021 Whipple/Pickett offense made Pitt a top tier destination for high level transfer QBs and WRs and HS skill position talent That lasted all of about a month after the bowl game. Narduzzi didn’t like Whipple and vice versa, fine. But the simple fact is performance is all that matters, and a smart head coach and/or a strong AD would have kept the critical people in place after last year. Whip didn’t get bought away from Pitt like Canada. He got pushed out by his boss, who has proven over and over to be a poor handler of his personnel issues.

It’s astonishing that there’s anyone who still genuinely believes in this head coach. He has squandered every legitimate chance he’s had to bring lasting improvement to this program. Enough is enough. Send him packing.
I don't think Whipple makes much of a difference to Pitt this year. That's not sour grapes with him or any preference for Cignetti. I think they're pretty similar and it's not like Whip is lighting the world on fire at Nebraska.

If you want to argue with a different style of offense, tempo, and something Pitt really hasn't run under Duzz, then I think that's fair game to debate.

Slovis would have been carried out on a stretcher already with Whip trying to throw the ball 50 times a game. Whip himself would likely have stroked out on the sideline after beet red yelling episodes at Slovis for his lack of awareness.

Last edited:
I don't think Whipple makes much of a difference to Pitt this year. That's not sour grapes with him or any preference for Cignetti. I think they're pretty similar and it's not like Whip is lighting the world on fire at Nebraska.

If you want to argue with a different style of offense, tempo, and something Pitt really hasn't run under Duzz, then I think that's fair game to debate.

Slovis would have been carried out on a stretcher already with Whip trying to throw the ball 50 times a game. Whip himself would likely have stroked out on the sideline after beat red yelling episodes at Slovis for his lack of awareness.
Finally a responsible and rational response. Not all but certainly some of the opinions printed on these boards are as entertaining as the Colgate Comedy Hour during the 1950’s.

Slovis would have been carried out on a stretcher already with Whip trying to throw the ball 50 times a game. Whip himself would likely have stroked out on the sideline after beet red yelling episodes at Slovis for his lack of awareness.
I don't think Addison leaves if Whipple stays. That's probably enough to beat GT and Lousville.

I don't think Whipple staying would have any bearing on Addison's decision.
I do. I don't think he had any plans to leave but went through Spring Practice and wasn't impressed with the OC, WR coach, and QB so started to look elsewhere. Its very possible that had he been satisfied with just one of OC/WR coach/QB, he wouldn't have ever looked around. We'll never know.

I do. I don't think he had any plans to leave but went through Spring Practice and wasn't impressed with the OC, WR coach, and QB so started to look elsewhere. Its very possible that had he been satisfied with just one of OC/WR coach/QB, he wouldn't have ever looked around. We'll never know.
He didn't have to look around, because teams were looking for him. Not just looking, but offering large sums of money. He had no allegiance to Whipple, or Marion, or Narduzzi, or his other 80 teammates.

You know damned well that keeping the same 4 year OC, playbook and playcaller coming off of the best offensive season in program history gives you, your returning personnel, and your new QB, a far better chance to have success the following year than starting fresh with a new OC, a new playbook, new style of play calling, and a new and completely different philosophical approach to offense. If last year had been like Whipple's fist two it would be different. But it wasn't-it was the best offense at Pitt that any of us have ever seen. And no sooner did it start to click, than we throw it out lock, stock and barrel and start all over again.

You seem to be a smart poster, even in disagreement. Not sure why you're stubbornly refusing to acknowledge what's staring you and all of the rest of us straight in the eye.

The players don't want to play in this system. They hate it. They are confused. The best one transferred. I repeat: The players do not like this system. We're 6-1 or 7-0 with a system the players would have taken to. I'm not saying that had to be Whipple's or the man on the moon's. But they don't like this one.

I sensed he wasn’t happy since around time Beatty left.

He didn't have to look around, because teams were looking for him. Not just looking, but offering large sums of money. He had no allegiance to Whipple, or Marion, or Narduzzi, or his other 80 teammates.
I agree, Addison got the taste The Glamour Life about midsession last year, was suddenly sporting garish shades and 90s era Deion-seque glam (and shiny hair goo) in his interviews. You just knew the hobos and discarded dope needles of the NS were no longer a match for … well, the exact same thing where he is now, except that there are also many willing succulent ho’s there to service him 24x7, vs here where no yinzer pubslut cares if you’re Pitt’s best player.

And, of course, the money was a factor too. But reports were we could come close to the money.

But I’m betting it was more the bling and the succulent, succulent ho’s.

Can’t blame him of course, 20 year old me would have likely been equally swayed.

Obviously given what happened he made the correct choice.

Last edited:
To the Op's point,

The presence of easy transfers and NIL money (of which we will never compete for elite players),

relegates us to more of the same.

I still believe....since no one really knows where all of this is going.....the notion that Pitt doesnt have to worry about an campus albatross of a stadium may just weigh in on a decision to someday drop the sport completely.

Cruzer
I convinced myself after 11-2 that it’s all gravy from here on out but I’ve been here long. It’s a ham and egger program with a ham and egger coach. They’re lucky they’re in ACC and ACC lucky they’re expanding to 12. There’s a hard ceiling on fan support, revenue, market share, recruiting, coaching pool. Even tougher now with one giant ACC top 2. But They still do some things to be proud of and I think they could get a little higher than a top20 finish every 10+yrs. The coaching has been poor so far this year. So I’m ok if some folks want to keep trying.

The players don't want to play in this system. They hate it. They are confused. The best one transferred. I repeat: The players do not like this system. We're 6-1 or 7-0 with a system the players would have taken to. I'm not saying that had to be Whipple's or the man on the moon's. But they don't like this one.
The player who transferred got millions of dollars.

Also, the offensive line isn't very good.
Also the wide receiving core isn't very good.

Also there is defense. We just gave up 42 points last game and are a fairly average 43rd in the nation yards per play defensively, despite a coastal division schedule.

I'm sorry but no version of this team is 7-0 or even 6-1 without a Pickett like QB and a line that gets Narduzzi's usual sack totals.

Reactions: rmf05
The player who transferred got millions of dollars.

Also, the offensive line isn't very good.
Also the wide receiving core isn't very good.

Also there is defense. We just gave up 42 points last game and are a fairly average 43rd in the nation yards per play defensively, despite a coastal division schedule.

I'm sorry but no version of this team is 7-0 or even 6-1 without a Pickett like QB and a line that gets Narduzzi's usual sack totals.

We gave up 27 to Tennessee, 26 to Georgia Tech (in large part because of the offense putting them in terrible positions), and 17 defensive points to Louisville. We'd absolutely be 6-1 with a more effective offense. Especially when considering how many of those points were after the defense either flat out gave up or started trying to do too much because they knew the offense couldn't score.

Hell, even 42 in't a crazy total for modern college football.

To the Op's point,

The presence of easy transfers and NIL money (of which we will never compete for elite players),

relegates us to more of the same.

I still believe....since no one really knows where all of this is going.....the notion that Pitt doesnt have to worry about an campus albatross of a stadium may just weigh in on a decision to someday drop the sport completely.
I’ve said this for several months now (the stadium situation making the dropping of the sport a very easy decision). It absolutely is the card in the back pocket of Pitt since 2000. And there is no way that likelihood isn’t in the discussions internally involving the conference upheavals. We all know where Pitt fits in all this at this present time (specifically, we don’t). Only rapidly amping our football profile was going to be the way to change that, and Pitt ain’t gonna. So what’s the alternative? A junior league with the likes of Tulane and Cincy and Temple? (Where have we seen that before…)

No freaking way is that financially tenable. Even in a land of a thousand obscure TV and streaming channels will there be any discernible revenue from that. And to repeat what many won’t acknowledge … PITTSBURGH WON’T ACCEPT ANYTHING NOT MAJOR LEAGUE. Dropping football would be the only sensible alternative. With no gigantic on campus behemoth stadium like other gibrone schools like us have…is there an easier decision a university would have?

It’s simply prudent (and not ‘trolling’ or ‘negative’) to acknowledge otherwise. Frankly it is likely already decided… but if not, it has to be painfully obvious to Pitt AD and brass that Pitt football has a scant few years to become a true playa (and stay there) to possibly save itself. We had fantastic good luck last year that unexpectedly opened that door a smidgen…,but we failed to do diligence, and it’s shut again.

We gave up 27 to Tennessee, 26 to Georgia Tech (in large part because of the offense putting them in terrible positions), and 17 defensive points to Louisville. We'd absolutely be 6-1 with a more effective offense. Especially when considering how many of those points were after the defense either flat out gave up or started trying to do too much because they knew the offense couldn't score.

This is true. Even if some here won’t realize, Narduzzi and Lyke needed to realize. A program like ours need dare i say it, a high octane offense, every year, all the time. Nobody outside the B1g West is winning 10-7 games. If he couldn’t handle the reality when seeking the new OC, Lyke C certainly should have.

You know damned well that keeping the same 4 year OC, playbook and playcaller coming off of the best offensive season in program history gives you, your returning personnel, and your new QB, a far better chance to have success the following year than starting fresh with a new OC, a new playbook, new style of play calling, and a new and completely different philosophical approach to offense. If last year had been like Whipple's fist two it would be different. But it wasn't-it was the best offense at Pitt that any of us have ever seen. And no sooner did it start to click, than we throw it out lock, stock and barrel and start all over again.

You seem to be a smart poster, even in disagreement. Not sure why you're stubbornly refusing to acknowledge what's staring you and all of the rest of us straight in the eye.
You are correct in much of what you say. Pickett clearly got it in year 3, and if I recall correctly, he and Whip sat down to streamline what KP liked and didn't like in the offseason.

My comment is based on the QB and WR play I've seen, which leads me to believe it wouldn't matter. Slovis, Mump, and Means weren't even here under Whip anyway. They thought they had an NFL QB prospect and what they got was damaged goods. He needs to sit and not even be mentioned in the plans as a starting QB next year. He's backup material at this level and that's it. Let someone else try to fix him.

So what's pissing me off about Cignetti is not being able to sit this QB who clearly can't run the offense. It's his job to get it through Narduzzi's thick head that there's no future with him at QB. Yet Duzz keeps going out of his way to praise the guy who is playing like sh!t. If his psyche is that fragile he's a lost cause.

A more effective offense? Sure, I agree. And right, 42 isn't insane even, sure. But I am saying that would require better players than we have. The last two losses were not particularly close games. I don't think a better offensive coordinator would have made up that many points, especially in their first year. And the defense probably would have given up more points if we didn't run so much clock with play calling -- our defensive efficiency numbers are pretty average.

Losing Pickett, Addison, Mathis, Camp, Mack, Tripton and Krull, meant even more as losses than I expected.

I hate watching it and spending good money to take the family to see it

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT