ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Recruiting

Of course it means something. You’ll are trying way too hard in this thread.
You act as though a verbal commitment 7 months away from signing day means something for Rutgers. There is no chance they have a Top 10 recruiting class when everything is finalized. The only people trying too hard are the posters like you who are swinging from Schiano’s nutsack.

Reactions: Ski11585
How did Vernon Pig Smith, Nick “Solid as Oak” Mangold, Chris T. Jones, Andrew “Pinky” Johnson, Antony “Box of Rocks” Morrelli all perform at Pitt? Shall I go on? How did Saquon Barkley do at Rutgers?

If they sign and perform well at Rutgers, then we can have a serious conversation. Otherwise - this means nothing.
Verbal commitments are much more likely to sign LOIs than kids who haven't committed. Rutgers will sign >80% of these kids

Verbal commitments are much more likely to sign LOIs than kids who haven't committed. Rutgers will sign >80% of these kids
Sure - the better schools will poach their best recruits and they’ll hold onto their 3 star recruits.

How exactly did you come up with this calculation? Is it the same formula you used to predict the Dow to go to 6,000?

Sure - the better schools will poach their best recruits and they’ll hold onto their 3 star recruits.

How exactly did you come up with this calculation? Is it the same formula you used to predict the Dow to go to 6,000?
Basic common sense. Verbal commits actually sign LOIs at that school at a pretty high rate. Rutgers will lose some of these kids, yes, but most will sign.

Reactions: cashisking884
Basic common sense. Verbal commits actually sign LOIs at that school at a pretty high rate. Rutgers will lose some of these kids, yes, but most will sign.
If another school comes in and hires Fran Brown away, then how does that factor into your projection?

Get away from Jersey City, Trenton, and Camden New Jersey is an ok state; way different than the stereotypes. I hope Pitt can make/continue inroads in the state.

You act as though a verbal commitment 7 months away from signing day means something for Rutgers. There is no chance they have a Top 10 recruiting class when everything is finalized. The only people trying too hard are the posters like you who are swinging from Schiano’s nutsack.

wut? The original post explicitly says Rutgers isn’t going to end up with a Top 10 class. You’re just babbling at this point.

This isn’t like Rutgers got a commit from some local nobody when he was a freshman and they were the first to scout/offer him.

These recruits are already 4* players that the bigger schools have offered.

Reactions: WannyandWalt
Right, the whole “it’s just a verbal, who cares” is a dumb argument.

If I told everybody on this board we can have a commit from every prized recruit we’re after right now, or not have commits from them, everybody would choose the former.
Because it means the staff has won over the kids enough for these kids to want to get on board today. Which is indicative of a strong relationship. And you’ll take your chances with that through Signing Day.

Last edited:
Reactions: KevH and Eagleton96
This isn’t like Rutgers got a commit from some local nobody when he was a freshman and they were the first to scout/offer him
These recruits are already 4* players that the bigger schools have offered.

Bingo, I would after this 7-5 year dump gym teacher and hire a young energetic coach and allow him to hire good recruiters and go that route, we tried the others it doesn't work. For 5 million we can hire some great young coach!

Last edited:
I would of agreed with you up until this year. However, Rutgers of all places has 6 four stars out of 11. With 3 or 4 more they are expected to get.

Say if they get those 4. That’s 11 out of 15 recruits. That are 4 stars in a class they are taking between 23 to 25. They could Acually pull in more 4 stars. Which won’t surprise me with Fran Brown on their staff.

What is impressive. Friggen Rutgers is the worst P5 team in all of football. I think they have like 8 wins over the last 5 years.
the key for RU is to improve the offense.... bringing in the 4 star
qb from Kentucky, rated the number three dual purpose qb in the country, is a start...... add in the recruits on the OL, led by Allen, and several high 3 star linemen, should help

Schiano was able to put together a good defense over time, it was always the O that sputtered.....

the RU fans have hope now, but they won't see it for a while.

They just gave him a raise and an extension with a huge buyout in the first few years. He’s not going anywhere for at least two seasons.
I’m sure that will stop Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St, or any other top program from giving him a promotion and more money. A smaller D1 school might also hire him as their HC.

Jackie-Aprile-Jr_Season-3_Episode-3_Fortunate-Son.jpg

the key for RU is to improve the offense.... bringing in the 4 star
qb from Kentucky, rated the number three dual purpose qb in the country, is a start...... add in the recruits on the OL, led by Allen, and several high 3 star linemen, should help

Schiano was able to put together a good defense over time, it was always the O that sputtered.....

the RU fans have hope now, but they won't see it for a while.

Schiano also assembled RU's best-ever coaching lineup. Huge upgrade over what the team could formerly afford. Full Big Ten membership (finally!) is a really blessing for Rutgers.

Right, the whole “it’s just a verbal, who cares” is a dumb article.

If I told everybody on this board we can have a commit from every prized recruit we’re after right now, or not have commits from them, everybody would choose the former.
Because it means the staff has won over the kids enough for these kids to want to get on board today. Which is indicative of a strong relationship. And you’ll take your chances with that through Signing Day.
A verbal commitment is very important. Yes, not every kid is going to sign but most of them will. A kid willing to make a verbal commitment at some point means you have an awfully good chance of getting him to sign an LOI.

He's also been a transfer portal bandit, having single-handedly engineered a wholesale raid on the Temple roster.
It’s nobody’s fault but Temple that they hired their Chris Ash equivalent and crashed everything Golden, Rhule, even Collins have done right through a brick wall and into the Delaware. He may be the guy who finally puts the nail into Temple’s FCS coffin.

I have nothing against Rutgers ( a few of their fans are idiots like graystork). I say, more power to them. I always said if they could keep the best NJ kids from leaving and get some outside help, they could be very competitive in the Big Ten.

The question remains, why can’t we get better recruiters?

Bingo, I would after this 7-5 year dump gym teacher and hire a young energetic coach and allow him to hire good recruiters and go that route, we tried the others it doesn't work. For 5 million we can hire some great young coach!
When Rutgers gets kids that PSU can't, does that sting just as bad for JF? Just asking, Pitt fan to newbie.

I have nothing against Rutgers ( a few of their fans are idiots like graystork). I say, more power to them. I always said if they could keep the best NJ kids from leaving and get some outside help, they could be very competitive in the Big Ten.

The question remains, why can’t we get better recruiters?

You and I have gone round and round about recruiting but I will say that you've been correct in saying that some of the lower rated kids that Duzz digs up seem to outperform their rating. The one thing I see that is encouraging is that the staff has quietly built up position groups. It was just a couple years ago that there wasn't anything resembling a playmaker at WR. The QB room was kind of embarrassing and the defense was getting torched pretty regularly. The LB-ing group was particularly sad. They've put a lot of effort into the OL recruiting the last couple years. It's not flashy and doesn't get people all worked up but we can be certain the recruiting budget at Rutgers and UNC are probably healthier than Pitt. We'll see.

Reactions: pittmeister

I’m not really saying to fire him.

But so much of the discussion on this board has centered around the idea that Narduzzi is helpless. Pitt is what it is as a program, and you have to win first anyway to recruit better.

And that just simply isn’t true. It has never been true. We didn’t have to wait 7 years to land a couple of 4* players on offense. There’s nothing that requires that.

And it’s not a coincidence that many of the, “first you win, then you recruit” crowd are the same wins pretending like Schiano’s hot start on the trail isn’t impressive.

You and I have gone round and round about recruiting but I will say that you've been correct in saying that some of the lower rated kids that Duzz digs up seem to outperform their rating. The one thing I see that is encouraging is that the staff has quietly built up position groups. It was just a couple years ago that there wasn't anything resembling a playmaker at WR. The QB room was kind of embarrassing and the defense was getting torched pretty regularly. The LB-ing group was particularly sad. They've put a lot of effort into the OL recruiting the last couple years. It's not flashy and doesn't get people all worked up but we can be certain the recruiting budget at Rutgers and UNC are probably healthier than Pitt. We'll see.

The only playmaker at WR was a 4* recruit. I’m not sure he’s evidence of them finding these gems.

In the end, what we’ve seen the last few years is limitation of what the 3* route will get you. It’s too difficult to find hidden gems across the board. You got to take the burden off yourself by landing 4* recruits.

The only playmaker at WR was a 4* recruit. I’m not sure he’s evidence of them finding these gems.

In the end, what we’ve seen the last few years is limitation of what the 3* route will get you. It’s too difficult to find hidden gems across the board. You got to take the burden off yourself by landing 4* recruits.
Pitt has done actually pretty well with the recruits the last few years. You guys are similar to us since there are one or two teams that dominate the conferences. Unless you start recruiting the 4stars, it will be difficult. The transfer portal has given teams like Pitt and Rutgers more of a fighting chance.

Our new OC Gleason might be the reason why we were able to get a 4star QB, RB, WR and Ol this season. His first season last year he averaged 26 pts a game vs 13 pts the previous two season. No more just running the ball 1,2, 3rd down with no results. He’s now our first million dollar assistant coach. I guess it does cost money to get the right person. Schiano was always going to have a good defense. Ohio State and Penn State are on top but Rutgers can get to third in the conference.

Reactions: pittmeister

I wasn't saying that hidden gems are the way to go. I agree with you, in general.

Pitt has done actually pretty well with the recruits the last few years. You guys are similar to us since there are one or two teams that dominate the conferences. Unless you start recruiting the 4stars, it will be difficult. The transfer portal has given teams like Pitt and Rutgers more of a fighting chance.

Our new OC Gleason might be the reason why we were able to get a 4star QB, RB, WR and Ol this season. His first season last year he averaged 26 pts a game vs 13 pts the previous two season. No more just running the ball 1,2, 3rd down with no results. He’s now our first million dollar assistant coach. I guess it does cost money to get the right person. Schiano was always going to have a good defense. Ohio State and Penn State are on top but Rutgers can get to third in the conference.

BTW… Yes we are jealous… Not in a bad way towards Rutgers, but more because why can’t we do the same….

Reactions: pbrad

How's RutgersAl?

It’s nobody’s fault but Temple that they hired their Chris Ash equivalent and crashed everything Golden, Rhule, even Collins have done right through a brick wall and into the Delaware. He may be the guy who finally puts the nail into Temple’s FCS coffin.

FCS coffin? You and your buddy Al should lay off the psychedelics.

BTW… Yes we are jealous… Not in a bad way towards Rutgers, but more because why can’t we do the same….
It only took 12-15 years hopefully to get an offense. I stopped watching Rutgers football when Schiano left since we became so terrible and couldn’t get any good recruits.

Pitt and Rutgers have some remarkable similarities and real differences. Similar in size, urban campus, academics, public school, all very similar.

A difference which is advantage Pitt: Rutgers evolved from a small private school that played Princeton and Lehigh in sports, into THE State school. Meanwhile Pitt was playing what we'd now call high-major sports going way back. So when RU hit D1A in the 70s and 80, we were way behind in tradition, fanbase, and facilities. Our sports were D1 trash for the longest time, and our reputation suffered as a result. It took until 2006 to really catch up. We don't have a long standing tradition to fall back on in lean years. So our floor is probably lower than Pitt's.

A difference that is advantage Rutgers: Rutgers is the flagship school in it's state and the only D1 program in the worlds largest media market. Despite being the but of uninformed jokes, people in NJ have pride in where they are from. With a good coach and competitive facilities, we can fan those local pride flames in a rich recruiting ground. Pitt will always have Penn State as the flagship, and also has Temple to compete with for the hearts and minds of people in PA. Also proximity to people, for recruits that want to be close to home, want family and friends to come to games, Rutgers is under 2 hours, by car or public transit, for a solid 30 million people. So Rutgers' ceiling seems, on paper, to be higher.

Last edited:
Pitt and Rutgers have some remarkable similarities and real differences. Similar in size, urban campus, academics, public school, all very similar.

A difference which is advantage Pitt: Rutgers evolved from a small private school that played Princeton and Lehigh in sports, into THE State school. Meanwhile Pitt was playing what we'd now call high-major sports going way back. So when RU hit D1A in the 70s and 80, we were way behind in tradition, fanbase, and facilities. Our sports were D1 trash for the longest time, and our reputation suffered as a result. It took until 2006 to really catch up. We don't have a long standing tradition to fall back on in lean years. So our floor is probably lower than Pitt's.

A difference that is advantage Rutgers: Rutgers is the flagship school in it's state and the only D1 program in the worlds largest media market. Despite being the but of uninformed jokes, people in NJ have pride in where they are from. With a good coach and competitive facilities, we can fan those local pride flames in a rich recruiting ground. Pitt will always have Penn State as the flagship, and also has Temple to compete with for the hearts and minds of people in PA. Also proximity to people, for recruits that want to be close to home, want family and friends to come to games, Rutgers is under 2 hours, by car or public transit, for a solid 30 million people. So Rutgers' ceiling seems, on paper, to be higher.

You are correct that Pitt has to compete with PSU, but I doubt Temple is pulling much away from Pitt in terms of fans, media or really even recruits. It isn’t like if Temple folded the program, Pitt would have some increased coverage or support in the Philly market. And Temple isn’t mentioned in Pittsburgh. The reality is that both Pitt and RU compete with the same northern (and some southern) traditional powers, like PSU, Michigan, OSU, ND for eyeballs and recruits. WVU is there for Pitt also, especially in the outlying counties.

Rutgers may have an edge being the NJ state school. Given that those 30 million are a lot of transplants and others with no tie to RU, the potential following even if the program improves isn’t as high as you think.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT