Same old Pitt fans on this board

superstein61a

Senior
Mar 31, 2019
Being fatalistic after one game.

Fire the coach.

Start the freshman QB

Blah, blah, blah

Nice to see most Pitt fans on this board remain the same overreacting to everything after one game

Here is what I think:

1. It is one game. The season opener with a new OC, new OL against a good Virginia team with a top QB picked as the favorite to win the Division. We were the underdogs. We lost

2. Defensively the team played quite well. Losing Camp for the second half was a blow as he was disruptive. But still Virginia's TD drives were 19, 27 and 29 yards long thanks to a blocked punt, interception and turnover on downs in garbage time. Pitt held Virginia to 9 total points on 9 series starting in UVA territory. That is good defensive football.

3, The offensive play calling was much better than last year. MUCH. Lots of variety. And we had receivers open. We just did not execute. Pickett missed throws. Receivers dropped balls. The OL struggled at times picking up blitzes from the 3-4 alignment Virginia was in. It is a new OL, you expect there would be some growing pains. Receivers dropping balls were a disappointment. As was Pickett. All that said, Pitt gained only 47 less yards than Virginia. It is one game

4. Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

5. Narduzzi and the coaching staff - probably another unpopular opinion here among the over reactionary group but this is a solid staff that has improved each year and are building the program. I am sure it is slower than some of you like, but it takes time. There is no one out there that you can realistically replace them with who will do better.

6. In today's environment, you have a very small group of elite teams then you have a group of 10-15 consistently very good teams and then you have the group Pitt is in. The group that is likely to finish with 6-8 wins and on occasion have a 9 or 10 win season. With Pitt's ridiculous out of conference schedule strength, they aren't hitting that 9 or 10 win plateau like the schools that schedule cupcakes.

Alas, I expect that the people who post here who have unrealistic expectations and don't understand what it takes to build a solid program will be losing there mind this first month as unfortunately the schedule has dealt the team a bad hand. Having to play 3 of the toughest opponents on the schedule in the first 4 weeks is not a recipe for success. But that is the hand the team is dealt so people need to exhibit some patience (which I know is unlikely to happen)

Fire the coach.

Start the freshman QB

Blah, blah, blah

Nice to see most Pitt fans on this board remain the same overreacting to everything after one game

Here is what I think:

1. It is one game. The season opener with a new OC, new OL against a good Virginia team with a top QB picked as the favorite to win the Division. We were the underdogs. We lost

2. Defensively the team played quite well. Losing Camp for the second half was a blow as he was disruptive. But still Virginia's TD drives were 19, 27 and 29 yards long thanks to a blocked punt, interception and turnover on downs in garbage time. Pitt held Virginia to 9 total points on 9 series starting in UVA territory. That is good defensive football.

3, The offensive play calling was much better than last year. MUCH. Lots of variety. And we had receivers open. We just did not execute. Pickett missed throws. Receivers dropped balls. The OL struggled at times picking up blitzes from the 3-4 alignment Virginia was in. It is a new OL, you expect there would be some growing pains. Receivers dropping balls were a disappointment. As was Pickett. All that said, Pitt gained only 47 less yards than Virginia. It is one game

4. Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

5. Narduzzi and the coaching staff - probably another unpopular opinion here among the over reactionary group but this is a solid staff that has improved each year and are building the program. I am sure it is slower than some of you like, but it takes time. There is no one out there that you can realistically replace them with who will do better.

6. In today's environment, you have a very small group of elite teams then you have a group of 10-15 consistently very good teams and then you have the group Pitt is in. The group that is likely to finish with 6-8 wins and on occasion have a 9 or 10 win season. With Pitt's ridiculous out of conference schedule strength, they aren't hitting that 9 or 10 win plateau like the schools that schedule cupcakes.

Alas, I expect that the people who post here who have unrealistic expectations and don't understand what it takes to build a solid program will be losing there mind this first month as unfortunately the schedule has dealt the team a bad hand. Having to play 3 of the toughest opponents on the schedule in the first 4 weeks is not a recipe for success. But that is the hand the team is dealt so people need to exhibit some patience (which I know is unlikely to happen)
Trevor Lawrence didn’t start Day 1 because the guy in front of him went 12-2 and led his team to the NC game the year before, and went 4-0 before Dabo made the change.

I’m certainly not suggesting Beville is ready for the job or in any way comparable to Lawrence, but c’mon now.

So how long does it take? And I’m being serious. I’m not one of the young ones who wants everything yesterday. I said the same things you’re saying 2 years ago. But the program is still stuck in relatively the same position. I have no pie in the sky expectations. I’m not expecting annual top 10-15. But a real good season here and there when all falls right isn’t too much to ask. I don’t sense any upward trajectory. I hope I’m wrong.

Trevor Lawrence didn’t start Day 1 because the guy in front of him went 12-2 and led his team to the NC game the year before, and went 4-0 before Dabo made the change.

I’m certainly not suggesting Beville is ready for the job or in any way comparable to Lawrence, but c’mon now.

My point is even the best freshman QBs rarely start Day 1. Usually it is not an avenue for success. So I think it is too soon for this talk. Now, give Whipple a chance to see what he has under game conditions for a few games in his offense and then decide if you need to start working someone else in

So how long does it take? And I’m being serious. I’m not one of the young ones who wants everything yesterday. I said the same things you’re saying 2 years ago. But the program is still stuck in relatively the same position. I have no pie in the sky expectations. I’m not expecting annual top 10-15. But a real good season here and there when all falls right isn’t too much to ask. I don’t sense any upward trajectory. I hope I’m wrong.

Well it will help to get the out of conference schedule back to a more realistic level like most teams. I believe that happens after this year

And alas it does take time sad to say. Dabo Swinney didn't win double digit games until year 4. And he is at the top of the profession with a world of recruiting advantages over Pitt.

Stability will breed success. Just sometimes takes longer than people like. I personally have always felt next year would be the big leap forward

It also hasn't helped that we have had musical chairs at the OC position. That has not helped QB play, development nor QB recruiting. Hopefully the Whipple hire solves that issue

Well it will help to get the out of conference schedule back to a more realistic level like most teams. I believe that happens after this year

And alas it does take time sad to say. Dabo Swinney didn't win double digit games until year 4. And he is at the top of the profession with a world of recruiting advantages over Pitt.

Stability will breed success. Just sometimes takes longer than people like. I personally have always felt next year would be the big leap forward
Pitt hasn't won double digit games since 2009.

Before 2009, it was 1981.

Boosh. You just lost the thread.

Pitt hasn't won double digit games since 2009.

Before 2009, it was 1981.

Boosh. You just lost the thread.

And your point is what???

Actually you are making my point about unrealistic expectations if that is what you are judging success by. Thanks for playing

It also hasn't helped that we have had musical chairs at the OC position. That has not helped QB play, development nor QB recruiting. Hopefully the Whipple hire solves that issue
stability just to say you have it will lose what is left of this dwindling fan base already

I think QB recruiting is the biggest issue by far and nobody will convince me otherwise. That’s not to say coaching doesn’t matter. It does. But they haven’t had the material.

For me, and I suspect others, had we won the NC and Stanford games last year I’d feel a little better about things. Again that’s not asking for much. We’ll have more perspective on this loss later in the season of course but it just feels like more of the same.

Which dwindling fan base are you talking about?

The dwindling fan base that was the 5th largest crowd for a Pitt ACC home game?

That one?
Your point is well taken. But don't forget that it was the home opener, great weather, a conference game, and the Rib Fest.

We'll see about the fans next Saturday. Anyone who's there for an 11 AM game versus Ohio U is a true Pitt fan. Or crazy. Or both.

Reactions: PittPanthers90

That one?
get back to me after next weeks game if you want to throw attendance numbers. Let's see then. Fair enough?

Reactions: PittPanthers90

That one?
We'll have 15000 on Saturday thanks to what happened last night. Not so much for losing.

Losing itself to a legit opponent was not a sin. A solid hard fought competent but close loss, with nice performances. You walk out saying ok, we lost but we have some hope.

But it wasn't that. It was the eye opening futility it portended for the rest of the game, due to the QB play and the realization that the rest of the offense, ie the running game, is not able to rescue things this year

Granted it might only have been 35000 even with a win.

But it will be a veritable ghost town thanks to the loss.

Boosh again

Last edited:
Your point is well taken. But don't forget that it was the home opener, great weather, a conference game, and the Rib Fest.

We'll see about the fans next Saturday. Anyone who's there for an 11 AM game versus Ohio U is a true Pitt fan. Or crazy. Or both.

Next week's attendance was never going to be good. A MAC opponent and an 11am start does not bode well. The fan base is what it is. They come out for certain games, not for others. But it is not dwindling like the other person claimed. I wouldn't say it is growing either. Pretty much status quo

get back to me after next weeks game if you want to throw attendance numbers. Let's see then. Fair enough?

I really don't concern myself with attendance numbers. I only brought it up since you made the silly and erroneous statement about a dwindling face base

I really don't concern myself with attendance numbers. I only brought it up since you made the silly and erroneous statement about a dwindling face base
OK... your opinion... this fan base is dwindling. Again, lets see how many show up next week and the rest of the season. How about you and I revisit this debate after the Penn State game? Fair enough?

Didn't you know? We're now on a 40 year rebuilding program at Pitt. Don't expect a winning program until we've hit year 40 or longer.

Next week's attendance was never going to be good. A MAC opponent and an 11am start does not bode well. The fan base is what it is. They come out for certain games, not for others. But it is not dwindling like the other person claimed. I wouldn't say it is growing either. Pretty much status quo
Exactly. Pitt needs to play in a stadium that's "right-sized" for Pitt football -- just like other teams (such as UNC) have done by making their stadiums smaller. Otherwise, Pitt's not gonna draw the crowds that the Steelers do. Someone may cherrypick a game or two in the last 10 years to dispute what I say, but we all know better.

Looking at this from the perspective of the AD, what will Lyke be thinking when she looks in the stands next Saturday and sees maybe 20,000 in the seats? Will she be happy and say everything is OK or will she say we have to change things to get better as a program?

The sad part. The dumbass Pitt administrators don’t even realize their true peer in college athletics is NEXT weeks opponent- Ohio University.

Fire the coach.

Start the freshman QB

Blah, blah, blah

Here is what I think:

Cuz......it's the same old Pitt program/team. Whatever the coach, the scheme, the coordinators, we aim to disappoint. That's it. That's all I got. Every one of our huge victories were in vacuums, completely irrelevant in the big scheme of things. And that home game, the ones that count, outside of PSU in 2016, you have to go back to 2002.

So yeah, same fan reactions. Because it is the same crap. 5-7.

My point is even the best freshman QBs rarely start Day 1. Usually it is not an avenue for success. So I think it is too soon for this talk. Now, give Whipple a chance to see what he has under game conditions for a few games in his offense and then decide if you need to start working someone else in
Do you watch any other football games. Miami is starting a true freshman quarterback this year and he held his own against a top 10 team. I’m pretty sure that the same time Pickett was struggling like last year that Bo Nix was beating number 11 Oregon on national tv in his first start.

OK... your opinion... this fan base is dwindling. Again, lets see how many show up next week and the rest of the season. How about you and I revisit this debate after the Penn State game? Fair enough?

Provide some factual evidence please to support your statement

Exactly. Pitt needs to play in a stadium that's "right-sized" for Pitt football -- just like other teams (such as UNC) have done by making their stadiums smaller. Otherwise, Pitt's not gonna draw the crowds that the Steelers do. Someone may cherrypick a game or two in the last 10 years to dispute what I say, but we all know better.

yes, the stadium has too big of a capacity - no argument there. I am in favor of attractively tarping off a lot of the upper deck to reduce capacity like the Seattle Sounders do

Do you watch any other football games. Miami is starting a true freshman quarterback this year and he held his own against a top 10 team. I’m pretty sure that the same time Pickett was struggling like last year that Bo Nix was beating number 11 Oregon on national tv in his first start.

To be fair Nix was lousy for most of the game, but he hung in there and showed a lot of poise. Most telling to me was Malzahn showing enough confidence in him to be throwing deep when they were in FG range at the end. Or else maybe it only looked that way because it happened to work, he could’ve easily thrown another pick.

Looking at this from the perspective of the AD, what will Lyke be thinking when she looks in the stands next Saturday and sees maybe 20,000 in the seats? Will she be happy and say everything is OK or will she say we have to change things to get better as a program?

She will be thinking the same thing no matter who was the coach. Pitt fans do not come out for certain games. Doesn't matter who the coach is or how good the team is. An 11am start vs Ohio is never going to draw in any year

Looking at this from the perspective of the AD, what will Lyke be thinking when she looks in the stands next Saturday

Here are a few things come to mind instantly:

1. I think I'll shoot Randy a text, see if he is in need of anything (Women's soccer)
2. "I wonder how what Jay is up to, better shoot him a text(Men's Soccer)"

3. "I hope my stocks do better next week, If Trump would just lay-off China a bit."

4." I wanna let Dan know I'll be up to Fitz by 3pm to catch the end of the volleyball game, oh,gotta let Pat know we are all going out for cocktails afterward."

5. "It's great having this football thing wrapped up for the next five years, the only worry is when to play 'Sweet Caroline."

6. " Oh there is Jeff, I think I'll go over and introduce myself to those two recruits, its so nice to only have to find nine good players to be competitive."

Miami ummm, lost. Jarren Williams is a REDSHIRT freshman - there is a big difference.

Bo Nix looked bad most of the game going 13 for 31 for 177 yards and two interceptions. But give him credit, he made a couple plays at the end although he basically threw up the TD ball for grabs and his receiver made the play on it. He was also the number 1 ranked QB coming out of high school last year. And the Oregon coaches blew that game

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Makes sense.
Same Old Pitt, same old Pitt fans.
What do you expect out of Pitt fans? Euphoria for turd performances and 7-6 seasons with 3rd tier bowl appearances? What are we all supposed to be jumping for joy?

let’s face it, the biggest point of pride Pitt fans have had the past 30 years is the fact that the program has continued to turn out some great individual players.

I mean all things considered, I think it’s remarkable, and a testament to the quality and loyalty of Pitt fans, that this program has the engaged and concerned fans base that it has at all. This is probably the most heavily trafficked internet message board for a perennially mediocre football program in the country. Despite the state of the program the last few decades, Pitt fans still care or we wouldn’t be having these debates at all.

To expect everyone to be OK with this consistent disappointing performance is asking a too much. Just be happy we’re still here at all.

What do you expect out of Pitt fans? Euphoria for turd performances and 7-6 seasons with 3rd tier bowl appearances? What are we all supposed to be jumping for joy?

let’s face it, the biggest point of pride Pitt fans have had the past 30 years is the fact that the program has continued to turn out some great individual players.

I mean all things considered, I think it’s remarkable, and a testament to the quality and loyalty of Pitt fans, that this program has the engaged and concerned fans base that it has at all. This is probably the most heavily trafficked internet message board for a perennially mediocre football program in the country. Despite the state of the program the last few decades, Pitt fans still care or we wouldn’t be having these debates at all.

To expect everyone to be OK with this consistent disappointing performance is asking a too much. Just be happy we’re still here at all.
To be fair most of the threads that draw the most response have nothing to do with our teams at all. Why do you think CP brought back the Locker Room despite despising most of the dominating points made in it? Posts! Hits! Ka-Ching! And they think Rivals/Yahoo is liberal. :D

If board interest was purely on the quality and interest of our teams, the noise on the board would resemble the 2 minute mark of the 4th quarter last night.

In a few hours or so someday will post a thread asking everyone to rank their favorite Godfather characters (it's gotta be Sonny, right?), and this will all be forgotten.

Miami ummm, lost. Jarren Williams is a REDSHIRT freshman - there is a big difference.

Bo Nix looked bad most of the game going 13 for 31 for 177 yards and two interceptions. But give him credit, he made a couple plays at the end although he basically threw up the TD ball for grabs and his receiver made the play on it. He was also the number 1 ranked QB coming out of high school last year. And the Oregon coaches blew that game
Sam Howell- North Carolina
15-24 2 TD 0 Int. 245 yds
Beat South Carolina

Jayden Daniels-Arizona State
15-24 2 TD 0 int. 284 yds
Beat Kent State

Max Duggan-TCU
16-23. 1 TD 0 int 165 yds
Beat Arkansas-PB

Hank Bachmeier- Boise State
30-51 1 TD 1 int 407 yds
Beat Florida State

More and more programs playing freshmen and redshirt freshmen qb’s so why not Patti or Beville.

Beat South Carolina

Beat Kent State

Max Duggan-TCU
Beat Arkansas-PB

30-51 1 TD 1 int 407 yds
Beat Florida State

More and more programs playing freshmen and redshirt freshmen qb’s so why not Patti or Beville.

Oh good, you learned to google freshman QBs after your previous example fell flat.

Look, I have no idea what the QB situation at each of those above schools was nor do I care. But each of those QBs you note was a top 5 QB recruit, either pro style or dual threat.

All that said, did you even bother to read what I wrote in the first post ? Here, i will help you:

Pickett is everyone's favorite whipping boy, I get that. I am not sold on him either. That said, right now he gives the team the best chance to win. After 2 seasons under Watson, no one could say coming into this season what his potential was. But he is the only QB with experience and needs a chance under Whipple to prove himself or wash out. Everyone loves the shiny new object in Beville - but freshman don't come in off the street and start day 1 at QB. Hell Trevor Lawrence didn't even start day 1. Like it or not, Pickett needs to play enough games for Whipple to decide whether to stick with him or pull the plug and move on to Patti or Beville

So if Whipple sees him in action in the first 3 or 4 games and determines he is a lost cause, then yes, move on. But you don't do that in game 1

Beat South Carolina

Beat Kent State

Max Duggan-TCU
Beat Arkansas-PB

30-51 1 TD 1 int 407 yds
Beat Florida State

The easy answer to that is all those guys you listed were huge recruits with big time offer sheets. Hell, a couple of them had Alabama offers.

Beville and Patti are nowhere near where those guys were coming out of high school.

Reactions: superstein61a
There are 3 attendance disasters looming this season:

Pitt vs. Ohio 11 AM start, nuff said.

Pitt vs. NC Bad enough it's Thursday night, always a turd, but this year the Stillers are playing Cleveland at the exact same time. Strike two!

Pitt vs. BC Saturday game but also the first day of PA deer season. Ouch and strike 3.

Not to mention the mini disaster of Pitt vs. Delaware after playing PedState and UCF.

Dwindling fanbase may not adequately describe home attendance this season.

Beat South Carolina

Beat Kent State

Max Duggan-TCU
Beat Arkansas-PB

30-51 1 TD 1 int 407 yds
Beat Florida State

Forgot the Washington st QB who went 22 out of 23 and 4 td’s at halftime

There are 3 attendance disasters looming this season:

Pitt vs. Ohio 11 AM start, nuff said.

Pitt vs. NC Bad enough it's Thursday night, always a turd, but this year the Stillers are playing Cleveland at the exact same time. Strike two!

Pitt vs. BC Saturday game but also the first day of PA deer season. Ouch and strike 3.

Not to mention the mini disaster of Pitt vs. Delaware after playing PedState and UCF.

Dwindling fanbase may not adequately describe home attendance this season.

attendance disaster, lol, leave it to a message board poster to come up with that one. The only disaster that would happen is losing those games. Win all three and no one gives a flying F how many are in the stands, except you I guess.

Reactions: superstein61a
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT