ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling

Oct 25, 2021
This isn't what I used to wish for, but it's time to call up Bishop Sycamore, The Little Giants, and the Bad News Football Bears.

There's just too much volatility in college football at the moment. Lots of parity in the ACC, with teams' best players being Ted DiBiased off the roster and then all the grab bag mystery surprises that come with portal additions.

We need to stack as many wins as possible. For program perception and also to pacify the guys on the roster. As soon as you start losing, guys get that itch to look around. I'd go with two bottom-barrel-scrub-level G5's early in the year (one in ND years) and then a November FCS just to press reset on everyone's sanity levels.

That is all.

This isn't what I used to wish for, but it's time to call up Bishop Sycamore, The Little Giants, and the Bad News Football Bears.

There's just too much volatility in college football at the moment. Lots of parity in the ACC, with teams' best players being Ted DiBiased off the roster and then all the grab bag mystery surprises that come with portal additions.

We need to stack as many wins as possible. For program perception and also to pacify the guys on the roster. As soon as you start losing, guys get that itch to look around. I'd go with two bottom-barrel-scrub-level G5's early in the year (one in ND years) and then a November FCS just to press reset on everyone's sanity levels.

That is all.
I've wanted this for years. A program like Pitt gets absolutely nothing out of playing a difficult OOC schedule.

I've wanted this for years. A program like Pitt gets absolutely nothing out of playing a difficult OOC schedule.

I didn't used to, because it's all about entertainment and you only get 12 games so I wanted them to be as entertaining as possible (I get nothing out of watching Pitt vs Wofford).

But it's tough to build a program anymore. Any advantages built just get pulled out from under you. We'll probably never even have a team as talented as the 2022 bunch (never mind 2021) again. How depressing is that? Hallett, Hill, Dennis, Kancey, Bartholomew, Izzy, Haba, Warren, Devonshire, Williams, etc. Doubt we'll ever be able to afford all of them simultaneously again.

That is all.

We need to schedule as many home games in Ireland as possible. That is how you build back a program.

We need to schedule as many home games in Ireland as possible. That is how you build back a program.

I'm telling you... with our pretty colors, we are going to convert at least a dozen (out of the 3,500 locals who will be in attendance) fans. Can't underestimate the importance of those shillings in the NIL fund.

I didn't used to, because it's all about entertainment and you only get 12 games so I wanted them to be as entertaining as possible (I get nothing out of watching Pitt vs Wofford).
But ND 58 Pitt 7 entertains you? If I'm going to sit through a blow out, I'd rather it be Pitt over Wofford 45-7.

Holy effing straw man.

But yeah... I found Pitt vs Tennessee to be more entertaining than Pitt vs Ohio would have been.
I don't mind playing good name brand teams, but only if I feel like we can reasonably win. If for example, Georgia or Michigan was coming to town to play Pitt next week, I wouldn't want to go. Especially if I'm attending the game, I want to feel it's winnable as I enter the stadium. And with the rankings and 12 team playoffs, I'd rather beat up on crap teams than lose to name opponents, to have a better chance at the playoff if somehow it comes to that.

I don't mind playing good name brand teams, but only if I feel like we can reasonably win. If for example, Georgia or Michigan was coming to town to play Pitt next week, I wouldn't want to go. Especially if I'm attending the game, I want to feel it's winnable as I enter the stadium. And with the rankings and 12 team playoffs, I'd rather beat up on crap teams than lose to name opponents, to have a better chance at the playoff if somehow it comes to that.

The playoff is pretty much off the table for a school like Pitt as things are currently structured. NIL kicked into another gear this season. You can't even compare it to 2022, honestly. Unless something changes, we have zero shot at ever making it.

The playoff is pretty much off the table for a school like Pitt as things are currently structured. NIL kicked into another gear this season. You can't even compare it to 2022, honestly. Unless something changes, we have zero shot at ever making it.
So, what's the use of even being in that division then? Go to somewhere where you're allowed to compete.

Which is why I say Pitt should ONLY schedule blue bloods if they must play P4 teams. We are going to lose anyway. I'd rather lose to UGa or Michigan than Wisconsin or Utah

Which is why I say Pitt should ONLY schedule blue bloods if they must play P4 teams. We are going to lose anyway. I'd rather lose to UGa or Michigan than Wisconsin or Utah

Even if we don't lose, I feel like it'll come back to get us in the form of a loss at some other point. Like the ball is only going to bounce your way in so many 50/50 games; you can't stay mentally up for them every week.

Week after Penn State win in 2016.... lost a close game

Week after Tennessee win in 2021... lost a close game

Week after WVU win in 2022... lost a close game

Some of that is definitely coincidence, but there's really no more building a program (something we were decent at) in this portal age. It's a year to year free-for-all. Might as well at least ensure that you're a lot better than three teams on the schedule.

Even if we don't lose, I feel like it'll come back to get us in the form of a loss at some other point. Like the ball is only going to bounce your way in so many 50/50 games; you can't stay mentally up for them every week.

Some of that is definitely coincidence, but there's really no more building a program (something we were decent at) in this portal age. It's a year to year free-for-all. Might as well at least ensure that you're a lot better than three teams on the schedule.

Yea, these are all 1 year teams of free agents. Moreso in basketball. Just stack wins and go to some stupid bowl in Detroit or Birmingham.

Yeah the yearly free-for-all makes it even more important to get your offense and defense simplified with as much balls to the wall athleticism as you can get playing together. No longer need program players who are a gamble anyway by their 3rd or 4th year.

Yea, these are all 1 year teams of free agents. Moreso in basketball. Just stack wins and go to some stupid bowl in Detroit or Birmingham.

It's all you can really do, unfortunately. I mean, Louisville this past season is probably the new ceiling for most ACC teams. And I don't think they were all that close to as good as we were in 2021.

It's all you can really do, unfortunately. I mean, Louisville this past season is probably the new ceiling for most ACC teams. And I don't think they were all that close to as good as we were in 2021.

Louisville was trash actually. Reminded me of TCU 2022. A 6-6ish team who won close games against an easy schedule

That is all.

Three W’s and WVU every year OOC….

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT