ADVERTISEMENT

Seeing that little number to the left of "Pitt" matters

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
Pitt's game against ND now shows up on the default scores pages of ESPN and CBSSports and every other sports site. It now shows up in the chyron scrolls on all ESPN channels.

That's a small thing.... but is it really? Out of sight is usually out of mind. The ranking number... that little "25" next to Pitt ... matters.

And it will be there at least until next Monday, no matter what happens this week. Win one game this week, and that number likely stays there. Win both and that number improves.

It matters.

Yes, I agree its extremely important. Plus if Pitt beats BC we will be probably be playing Miami for the defacto regular (I read the ACC doesn't officially recognize or give out regular season titles) season title. Pretty exciting and still just hard to believe. I think it this whole NET thing and Pitt being on the bubble until the end has really taken away from how special this team has been. Shows you how screwed up college sports and the NCAA has really become.

It’s cool for fans but I’m on the AP/Coaches Poll doesn’t matter side.

Your goal every year is to win a conference championship (then NCAA Tournament success once goal #1 is complete).

Everything else is just noise.

It’s cool for fans but I’m on the AP/Coaches Poll doesn’t matter side.

Your goal every year is to win a conference championship (then NCAA Tournament success once goal #1 is complete).

Everything else is just noise.

I saw the top 25 scores from last week scroll across the screen a solid five or so times, but if you quizzed me right now on who the teams were I bet I would go like 12/25.

I think it's a cool thing for fans in that moment, but I don't know that it has any long-term significance. Especially in basketball, where there might be like 100 or more different teams in the top 25 at at least one point in the season.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT