ADVERTISEMENT

Serious combine question

djbpitt

Sophomore
Jun 28, 2001
Without throwing shade at Robert Foster, how exactly does one get invited to the NFL combine with less than 400 receiving yards in four years? Yes, it helps if you run a 4.41 but other than that and playing for a blue blood, what do they see in someone who has such a limited body of work?

He played for Alabama, that's all you really need to know. Backups at traditional powers can still be really good players, they're gonna get looked at. Foster saw the field a good but he just wasn't involved much in their offense. Matt Cassel was a 7th round draft pick and he threw 33 passes his entire career at USC.

He played for Alabama, that's all you really need to know. Backups at traditional powers can still be really good players, they're gonna get looked at. Foster saw the field a good but he just wasn't involved much in their offense. Matt Cassel was a 7th round draft pick and he threw 33 passes his entire career at USC.

When backing up a really good QB or RB, it makes more sense that the backup could be really good too. But not dong much at WR for 4-5 years when the position has 2-5 players on the field at once, tells me he just isn't very good. Time to move on with his life's work.

Last edited:
Actually, Foster himself admitted in interviews at the combine that he was surprised he got an invite. The PG referenced it in their article.

When backing up a really good QB or RB, it makes more sense that the backup could be really good too. But not dong much at WR for 4-5 years when the position has 2-5 players on the field at once, tells me he just isn't very good. Time to move on with his life's work.

Probably best to let the NFL guys decide that.

Don't get me wrong, if I were him I would go to the combine and play in the NFL if the opportunity is there, but it will be a short stint.
Likely. Of course Henderson probably has even a smaller chance of NFL success and he left school early (without a degree) to try.

If Terrelle Pryor can figure out how to stick in the NFL it's not a stretch to think Robert Foster can do the same.

Don't get me wrong, if I were him I would go to the combine and play in the NFL if the opportunity is there, but it will be a short stint.

Without throwing shade at Robert Foster, how exactly does one get invited to the NFL combine with less than 400 receiving yards in four years? Yes, it helps if you run a 4.41 but other than that and playing for a blue blood, what do they see in someone who has such a limited body of work?

They'd give a shot to anyone that can run 4.41

Who knows, maybe if he had gone to Pitt, he would have been #1 or #2 WR early in his career and already be in the NFL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT