ADVERTISEMENT

Seth Davis does not rank Pitt, but

JD1976

Athletic Director
Jan 23, 2005
He does discuss the Panthers and I think this is all fair…

Finally, while I did not rank Pitt or NC State, if I had to pick one of those two, Pitt would have been the easy choice. The Wolfpack have slightly better metrics, but the Panthers are tied for first and are two games ahead of NC State in the ACC standings, and they beat the Wolfpack in Raleigh. They also have a home win over Virginia, a road win at North Carolina, and a road win at Northwestern that looks a lot better today than it did two days ago. NC State’s wins are not of the same caliber. Yet, somehow NC State was No. 22 in last week’s AP poll while the Panthers were unranked. If nothing else, Pitt should be a no-brainer choice to be ahead of NC State on your pollster’s depth chart.

Finally, while I did not rank Pitt or NC State, if I had to pick one of those two, Pitt would have been the easy choice. The Wolfpack have slightly better metrics, but the Panthers are tied for first and are two games ahead of NC State in the ACC standings, and they beat the Wolfpack in Raleigh. They also have a home win over Virginia, a road win at North Carolina, and a road win at Northwestern that looks a lot better today than it did two days ago. NC State’s wins are not of the same caliber. Yet, somehow NC State was No. 22 in last week’s AP poll while the Panthers were unranked. If nothing else, Pitt should be a no-brainer choice to be ahead of NC State on your pollster’s depth chart.
It’s patently absurd that Pitt isn’t ranked

Now he should ask himself while he applies his criteria to Indiana, but not Pitt.

"• Indiana is the only team in my top 10 that’s underwater in Quad 1 games (5-6). But I’m ranking the Hoosiers there based on who they are right now more than their overall resume."

Seth can use this rationale for IU but not a team like PITT who CLEARLY is a top 25 team based on "right now."

NCState is still ranked at 23, Northwestern 27 and Pitt 29

But I bet he has undeserving b10 and sec teams ranked

Pitt is a 5 or 6 right now so somewhere between #17 and #24. Lets compare Pitt's resume to top 5 seed and #18 Indiana

Q1 IU 5-6 Pitt 4-2
Q2 IU 3-1 Pitt 4-3
Q3 IU 3-0 Pitt 2-1
Q4 IU 7-0 Pitt 8-1
Road record 4-5 Pitt 7-2
SOS 38 91

You can make a case for IU being higher but a 5 seed when some people have us as a 10 or 11?

Reactions: SteelBowl70
Pitt is a 5 or 6 right now so somewhere between #17 and #24. Lets compare Pitt's resume to top 5 seed and #18 Indiana

Q1 IU 5-6 Pitt 4-2
Q2 IU 3-1 Pitt 4-3
Q3 IU 3-0 Pitt 2-1
Q4 IU 7-0 Pitt 8-1
Road record 4-5 Pitt 7-2
SOS 38 91

You can make a case for IU being higher but a 5 seed when some people have us as a 10 or 11?
I'd love to see Pitt in a bracket with IU and face them in a first or second round game

The mental gymnastics people are using to not rank Pitt reflects very poorly on them. It's absurdist at this point.
I thought so too, but when breaking down the top 25 Pitt would have the two worst losses of all the current top 25. They do have decent wins, but so do 22/25 of the top 25. Now if they pick up the win at VT that would be a big boost.

Pitt should be ranked but I hope team puts a chip on their shoulder about it and kicks some ass this week!
I could give a rats ass about what some slob in east Idaho thinks of Pitt.
I care very much about what the players think of one another and winning.
That is all that matters.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT