ADVERTISEMENT

Seven ACC schools working together to break Grant of Rights

No surprise there at all. I think those schools have options to the BIG or SEC and have been saying that for a while. ND will be the 8th if there is a breakaway.

I think Pitt's best option for long term is the Big XII. Or some make up of the "best of the rest" (ie. Pitt, WVU, Okie State, Iowa St, Kansas. Texas Tech, Baylor, GT, Utah, Arizona, AZ St, Colorado, etc)

No surprise there at all. I think those schools have options to the BIG or SEC and have been saying that for a while. ND will be the 8th if there is a breakaway.

I think Pitt's best option for long term is the Big XII. Or some make up of the "best of the rest" (ie. Pitt, WVU, Okie State, Iowa St, Kansas. Texas Tech, Baylor, GT, Utah, Arizona, AZ St, Colorado, etc)
It might actually work out best for us if the ACC implodes ASAP. Assuming there’s a finite number of “life jackets” available in the Big 12, us looking for a home before the Pac-12 also crumbles apart is a good thing.

The Big 12 won't be a bad landing place. It won't get as much money as the big Two will, but it will be more than what the ACC is paying.

Been saying for a while that this is the endgame for us. The folks here who thought the ACC was going to survive this for more than even a few more years were fools.

The PAC 12 is also on life support, although it probably should be a DNR. A few of those teams will be willing to take a reduced payout from the Big Ten for a while just to have a seat at the table, and the Big Ten holds all of the cards. They played this thing beautifully.

It might actually work out best for us if the ACC implodes ASAP. Assuming there’s a finite number of “life jackets” available in the Big 12, us looking for a home before the Pac-12 also crumbles apart is a good thing.

I sort of agree. I mean the writing is on the wall the ACC will not be what it is for more than a few more years. And if for some miracle the GOR keeps everyone, after 2036, FSU, Clemson, etc are gone.

I almost just want to rip the bandaid off. The worry I have is if the Big XII loads up on Pac schools, then only has room for like 1 or 2 ACC "leftovers". I think we'd be close to the top of the list, especially with the Backyard Brawl and even Cincy. But dont' want to take that chance.

Also, if you read the SI article:
It says the Big XII, if the Pac does survive, may be looking at SDSU, SMU, and some other schools. If I were them, I'd be more patient and see how things do shake out with the Pac and ACC. No one else is coming for their schools.

I guess the final worry if the door is closed for like VT, UVA, UNC, NC State (I think Miami, FSU, Clemson, and UNC have definite invites to the BIG or SEC), then those schools may be picked up with the Utah, CU, AZ and AZ St which would suck unless say us and Louisville or GT were brought along for the ride.

Will be interesting. Pitt ain't going to be in the BIG or SEC, but hopefully we can be in that "3rd conference".

Pitt on the outside looking in. Better start making some calls to the Big 12…
There is no reason the ACC can not be the third conference left standing.

But...
they need to be proactive and make moves now. Grab the largest TV markets avaialable from remaining Big 12 an d PAC teams. The ACC needs to take steps to dismantle those leagues. That needed done yesterday.

Mega East- West conference emerges. Worry less about immediate share and more about long term survival.

Last edited:
There is no reason the ACC can not be the third conference left standing.

Bit...they need to be proactive and make moves now. Grab the largest TV markets avaialable from remaining Big 12 an d PAC teams. The ACC needs to take steps to dismantle those leagues. That needed done yesterday.

Mega East- West conference emerges. Worry less about immediate share and more about long term survival.

These rumors are precisely why it can’t be the third conference.

Do you really think that between the SEC, and the Big 10, that all 7 of those schools will be picked up? I can't see Virginia Tech or NC State getting an invite from either conference. Virginia is 50/50.

I can, and if not, they will be picked up by the BIg XII. Unless there is some new entity formed

Right, that mega conference will only add equal value, at most to what the current ACC is getting, maybe a slight bump if lucky. They aren't going to close the gap even remotely close enough for what the FSUs, Clemsons, Miami's, UNC's of the world want.

Its unbreakable if they have enough teams to dissolve the conference. If they cant dissolve it, good luck getting out of that GOR. What terrible leadership the ACC has had. It all goes back to not going to market in the early 2000s and accepting ESPN's lowball offer.

Instead of playing flippin Texas Tech and Kansas State, I'd prefer to go back to the Big East for basketball and maybe form a separate entity for football with Syr, BC, UConn, Temple, etc. Who cares if the league sucks. We can win it and make the 12 team playoff

Right, that mega conference will only add equal value, at most to what the current ACC is getting, maybe a slight bump if lucky. They aren't going to close the gap even remotely close enough for what the FSUs, Clemsons, Miami's, UNC's of the world want.

Right.

At this point the idea that none of these teams have talked to any other conferences, had breakaway talks with each other, etc., would be silly.

They simply have no interest in the ACC.

We can all debate to what extent they are bluffing about breaking the GOR, and if they aren’t bluffing, when would they actually ever do it, etc.

But you cannot debate that they have any interest anymore in this conference, and it’s future. They don’t.

Which means you cannot add any teams. You cannot be “proactive.” Because they will not let you.

How long before the SEC and Fat 10 start cutting the dead weight like Vandy, Purdue, etc.?
I don't think they'll start cutting them, but I do think maybe a few years down the road, the tOSUs, Michigans, Georgias, etc of the world will form their own new entity and not invite the Purdue's, Rutgers, Illinios, etc of the world.

I don't think they'll start cutting them, but I do think maybe a few years down the road, the tOSUs, Michigans, Georgias, etc of the world will form their own new entity and not invite the Purdue's, Rutgers, Illinios, etc of the world.

The OSU and Bama's need to do what the European soccer teams tried to do. Create their own super league:

OSU
Mich
PSU
Florida
Clemson
LSU
Bama
Texas
OU
USC
Oregon
Oklahoma

Something like that. Get a crazy amount of money and crown their own champion.

Right.

At this point the idea that none of these teams have talked to any other conferences, had breakaway talks with each other, etc., would be silly.

They simply have no interest in the ACC.

We can all debate to what extent they are bluffing about breaking the GOR, and if they aren’t bluffing, when would they actually ever do it, etc.

But you cannot debate that they have any interest anymore in this conference, and it’s future. They don’t.

Which means you cannot add any teams. You cannot be “proactive.” Because they will not let you.
You need a major streaming service sitting down with you both when you pitch your own members and the two consumed leagues.

What exactly makes Virginia and Tech magnificient?

New and expiring contracts are good spots to be in. The will be demand for college footballprograming.

Last edited:
Absolutely right. The ACC is dead. And if anybody thinks we are wallowing in self-pity, at least we aren't Wake Forest or NC State. I think the conference would be very pleased to have a footprint in Pennsylvania.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Absolutely right. The ACC is dead. And if anybody thinks we are wallowing in self-pity, at least we aren't Wake Forest or NC State. I think the conference would be very pleased to have a footprint in Pennsylvania.

Wake Forest yes, NC State will be fine whether it's the BIG, SEC, or 3rd conference.

I think short term its to try and play a card at the meetings for adjusting revenue.

I think short term its to try and play a card at the meetings for adjusting revenue.

What is that going to matter though. You are just going to give up some of your money to a school that has a foot out the door and will leave at the first opportunity they can.

The Big XII did this with Texas, OU, Texas A&M, Nebraska, etc, and it didn't solve anything.

There will more than likely be 3 - 20 team conferences when all the dust settles. Pitt will be fine.
No reaso a renamed ACC can not be the third ( that is even losing some (not seven) members.

An East-West version of the old proposed Metro.

Pitt on the outside looking in. Better start making some calls to the Big 12…
OK - this is why we're paying HL the big money. Navigating these shifting tides is the most critical thing an AD at Pitt can do right now. NIL and fund raising are also important but they pale in comparison to the potential impact of being left in the cold. Just make sure we're not ultimately landing in a place outside of the BCS.

What is that going to matter though. You are just going to give up some of your money to a school that has a foot out the door and will leave at the first opportunity they can.

The Big XII did this with Texas, OU, Texas A&M, Nebraska, etc, and it didn't solve anything.
yep, I doubt there was movement for that and maybe started the 'lawyer' meetings. And if they're looking how to get of GOR, dissolving the conference has probably come up. Either way, its the beginning of the end.

OK - this is why we're paying HL the big money. Navigating these shifting tides is the most critical thing an AD at Pitt can do right now. NIL and fund raising are also important but they pale in comparison to the potential impact of being left in the cold. Just make sure we're not ultimately landing in a place outside of the BCS.
If conference realignment happens during her tenure, her legacy could be completely tied to this, even though it is 90% out of her control.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
You need a major streaming service sitting down with you both when you pitch your own members and the two consumed leagues.

What exactly makes Virginia and Tech magnificient?

New and expiring contracts are good spots to be in. The will be demand for college footballprograming.

Okay?

I’m not sure what point you’re making here?

I’m not sure that’s true.

It allowed the Big 12 to survive. Even if it was just for a little longer. Which allowed the Big 12 to be in a position where it will be the number 3 conference.

Do you really think that between the SEC, and the Big 10, that all 7 of those schools will be picked up? I can't see Virginia Tech or NC State getting an invite from either conference. Virginia is 50/50.
So again, how many Big Ten schools are there now, I lost count. 16 now with USC and UCLA. How much does each school get? $50 million? Maybe with a new contract with USC now, $60million? That's almost a BILLION dollars. So.....does adding UNC, FSU, Miami and say UVa bring another $200 million??? No way. Not close. So why would OSU, Michigan and PSU take less to add more teams???

Its unbreakable if they have enough teams to dissolve the conference. If they cant dissolve it, good luck getting out of that GOR. What terrible leadership the ACC has had. It all goes back to not going to market in the early 2000s and accepting ESPN's lowball offer.

Instead of playing flippin Texas Tech and Kansas State, I'd prefer to go back to the Big East for basketball and maybe form a separate entity for football with Syr, BC, UConn, Temple, etc. Who cares if the league sucks. We can win it and make the 12 team playoff
What world do you live in, dude? It must be populated by drug addicts.

Well, well, well. Wish I had enough interest to go back to last summer and dig up old posts of when you and some other knuckleheads on here were convinced (in your own arrogant way) that there was NO WAY the B12 was going to be in a position to poach any teams...in fact, you guys thought the B12 would be lucky to survive.

Sort of comical how the tables have turned. Don't worry, maybe WVU will throw you a life-line if/when you get left in the cold. But, you're going to have to ask nicely....from your knees 😂

Reactions: Las Panteras
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT