ADVERTISEMENT

Shattered Expectations?

I was at 2 of the 3. The Pitt Butler game was basically a Pitt home game, although I think the UConn fans started pulling for Butler too.

That was the first time I ever felt like Jamie was in trouble here. People were Pissed as they left that arena. Not stunned, but viscerally angry.

Yea, the Metro ride was surreal. Pitt fans, not even knowing each other were complaining loudly to each other. It was like this board after a loss but in crowded Subway form. Pitt fans were really upset and shaken up.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
That was the first time I ever felt like Jamie was in trouble here. People were Pissed as they left that arena. Not stunned, but viscerally angry.

I didn't buy a ticket for that one until late on Friday. Just drove down on Saturday afternoon for the game. I had looked into some hotel rooms before I left, thinking that places might have some kind of deals if they had any rooms left under the theory that it's better to get something for those rooms than to have them sit empty. The places I checked had ridiculously high prices, so I just figured after the game I'd stay for the first half or so of the UConn game and then start driving towards home and stop at one of the million places along the highway down there and find a place.

Instead, when the Pitt game ended I was so pissed off that I immediately left, got in the car and didn't stop driving until I got home.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
I agree. I mean what a bunch of idiots those fans were who thought that Pitt should at least be able to compete with St. Francis! And not just any St. Francis, but the one from PA rather than the one from NY! How could anyone have thought something so supremely stupid?

Silly fans.

🤪
Actually, it's reasonable to expect that the freshman from a bottom feeder ACC team to beat St. Francis by 30, sorry, that's the truth.

I didn't buy a ticket for that one until late on Friday. Just drove down on Saturday afternoon for the game. I had looked into some hotel rooms before I left, thinking that places might have some kind of deals if they had any rooms left under the theory that it's better to get something for those rooms than to have them sit empty. The places I checked had ridiculously high prices, so I just figured after the game I'd stay for the first half or so of the UConn game and then start driving towards home and stop at one of the million places along the highway down there and find a place.

Instead, when the Pitt game ended I was so pissed off that I immediately left, got in the car and didn't stop driving until I got home.

The sequence you describe above is something I believe every Pitt fan has experienced. I think we did it after the Toledo football game. I was just so mad we drove home instead of stopping.

Reactions: Joe the Panther Fan
Yea, the Metro ride was surreal. Pitt fans, not even knowing each other were complaining loudly to each other. It was like this board after a loss but in crowded Subway form. Pitt fans were really upset and shaken up.

I just remember people almost running out of the MCI center, which is like in the middle of Chinatown, and it’s kinda empty on the streets because the UConn game is about to start, and Pitt fans just being like “F this...we’re never gonna win with this guy etc etc”.

Blame me. I was at all 3 of those losses. The Butler game was like a Pitt home game. Never seen that many Pitt fans at a game outside of Pittsburgh. The Metro on the way back was crammed with 90% Pitt fans which was a weird sight in Washington, DC
I was at the Pitt vs G’Town game when we were both in the Big East Mid-2000’s when Dixon was the coach. There was a very large Pitt contingent and we had a loud Let’s Go Pitt chant going in the second half.

Last edited:
Actually, it's reasonable to expect that the freshman from a bottom feeder ACC team to beat St. Francis by 30, sorry, that's the truth.

No, the truth is that if you look way up in the sky, up by where the satellites fly, you will see the point that you clearly missed going waaaaaaay over your head.

It wasn't. He can't read or focus.

The whole point of the post was to show Butler was getting beat up by bad teams, getting blown out, etc... They lost to a 9 win Youngstown State team and were getting worked by bad teams game after game.

Then 2/3 into the season they flipped the switch and went to the Final 4 again. Because the coaches and the players never gave up on the season.

This comparison is terrible. Stevens is a profoundly better coach than Capel.

This comparison is terrible. Stevens is a profoundly better coach than Capel.

In 2007 Kevin Stallings lost to a 15 win Furman team and lost to Appalachian State and went to the Sweet 16. They also struggled with Elon, Lipscomb and had a 4 point win against Division 2 Northern State. That team lost in the final 2 seconds of the Sweet 16 game from a make from Jeff Green. Considering you love to move goal posts to meet your criteria, I thought a person that you loathe and have zero respect for (Stallings) would be a fine example of turning his season around and not giving up.

Just for fun though, the UMBC Retrievers in 2018 (with team ranking in parenthesis) lost to Colegate (202), Army (264), Towson (163), Stoney Brook (223), and Albany (151) to name a few. Their basketball team started off the season at 6-5. They had a head coach with a total of 2 years D1 coaching experience. They finished the season 25-10, won their conference tournament, and became the first 16 Seed of all time to knock off #1 overall Virginia by 16 points.

Im sure though you warned everyone how great UMBC was before this game right? Considering UMBC was established in 1966 and has a total of 2 NCAA Tournament appearances, it was truly something to see. UMBC was also 20.5-point underdog to Virginia, the top overall seed, making it the second-largest upset by point-spread standards since the field expanded in 1985.

In 2007 Kevin Stallings lost to a 15 win Furman team and lost to Appalachian State and went to the Sweet 16. They also struggled with Elon, Lipscomb and had a 4 point win against Division 2 Northern State. That team lost in the final 2 seconds of the Sweet 16 game from a make from Jeff Green. Considering you love to move goal posts to meet your criteria, I thought a person that you loathe and have zero respect for (Stallings) would be a fine example of turning his season around and not giving up.

Just for fun though, the UMBC Retrievers in 2018 (with team ranking in parenthesis) lost to Colegate (202), Army (264), Towson (163), Stoney Brook (223), and Albany (151) to name a few. Their basketball team started off the season at 6-5. They had a head coach with a total of 2 years D1 coaching experience. They finished the season 25-10, won their conference tournament, and became the first 16 Seed of all time to knock off #1 overall Virginia by 16 points.

Im sure though you warned everyone how great UMBC was before this game right? Considering UMBC was established in 1966 and has a total of 2 NCAA Tournament appearances, it was truly something to see. UMBC was also 20.5-point underdog to Virginia, the top overall seed, making it the second-largest upset by point-spread standards since the field expanded in 1985.
Listen man, literally every person on here gets college basketball has tons of upsets and parity. It wasn’t that they lost. It was HOW they lost. Losing games they shouldn’t where the effort, energy and defense are poor in year 3 has become an ALARMING trend. I’m not talking giving up 22 offensive rebounds to a bad Rutgers team in 2008 one off. We’re talking about that lack of energy, focus and ability to take care of business against a middling NEC team. And getting blown out in the process. We’ll see how they react in the future but if we can’t overreact and bitch on a message board what is this for?

Cool. I'm proud of you for finding examples of teams that rebounded from early losses. Would you like to find some examples from the far larger list of teams that didn't?

Nobody is saying the season is over. But there are alarming concerns that aren't just isolated to the first game of the season. Nobody benefits from being foolishly optimistic and ignoring them.

No, the truth is that if you look way up in the sky, up by where the satellites fly, you will see the point that you clearly missed going waaaaaaay over your head.
You're just dumb if you don't think ANY ACC TEAM'S bench players should be able to beat SFU.

Losing games they shouldn’t where the effort, energy and defense are poor in year 3 has become an ALARMING trend.
And as is TRADITION for this program, can't ever have GOOD SHOOTERS who knock down THREES, like almost all the mid majors we play.

And as is TRADITION for this program, can't ever have GOOD SHOOTERS who knock down THREES, like almost all the mid majors we play.

Yeah. Pitt has NEVER had good three point shooters. Never. Not one.

Reactions: Pitt79
Listen man, literally every person on here gets college basketball has tons of upsets and parity. It wasn’t that they lost. It was HOW they lost. Losing games they shouldn’t where the effort, energy and defense are poor in year 3 has become an ALARMING trend. I’m not talking giving up 22 offensive rebounds to a bad Rutgers team in 2008 one off. We’re talking about that lack of energy, focus and ability to take care of business against a middling NEC team. And getting blown out in the process. We’ll see how they react in the future but if we can’t overreact and bitch on a message board what is this for?

Some Redshirt players under Howland or Dixon

Carl Krauser

Lamar Patterson

Gilbert Brown

Talib Zanna

Tray Woodall

Mike Cook

Jaron Brown

Chevy Troutman

That’s a lot of proven talent that had the benefit of an extra year under their belt. Players that developed and became tough in time. The coaches identified them for their high school talents, and developed them in college. Jamie Dixon always had upperclassmen on the floor year after year. Just look at that list of 5th year seniors above.

Your criticisms in this particular post are fair toward Jeff Capel in the game 1 loss. They aren’t fair when we have zero redshirt seniors, 1 senior who is barely going to play this year in Brown as a backup role player, 2 juniors, and a team loaded with underclassmen, 2 of which had preseason injuries , 1 still isn’t eligible, and another is a 17 year old kid. There are 7 new players on this basketball team and before Jeff became Coach Pitt was one of if not the worst P6 team in D1 basketball history.

I think the 2 players everyone should be focused on with respect to Jeff Capel’s ability to both recruit (find talent) and develop talent are Toney and Johnson and how they finish this season since they are 2 years into the system and were recruited by Capel. Followed by Champ, Drumgoole, and Coulibaly and how they finish the year in comparison to year 1, both statistically and efficiency. Brown isn't a Capel recruit and doesn't count.

Time and time again people have thrown the towel in way prematurely on young talent and not given them a fair share of time to develop. Brad Wanamaker sits at the very top of that list as constantly disrespected and underappreciated and I would make the case that Brad won more here and was more successful here than anyone.

2 Big East Titles, 2 #1 seeds, 4 Top 20 finishes, 111 career wins, the list goes on and on. 4 Straight years Pitt was in the Top 10 Nationally at some point. Had Mike Cook and Levance Fields both not gotten hurt in 2008, that team was more than good enough to get to the Final 4 too. 3 Years under Brad’s career we were in the Top 5 Nationally in the country. Amazingly, the 2009 team didn’t win either the Big East regular season or tournament after going 15-3 in conference and that team went to the Elite 8. Warrior is the appropriate word here since all Brad did was win consistently. To top it off he made the NBA. And in Brad's freshmen year some people wanted him gone from the team.

Some Redshirt players under Howland or Dixon

Carl Krauser

Lamar Patterson

Gilbert Brown

Talib Zanna

Tray Woodall

Mike Cook

Jaron Brown

Chevy Troutman

That’s a lot of proven talent that had the benefit of an extra year under their belt. Players that developed and became tough in time. The coaches identified them for their high school talents, and developed them in college. Jamie Dixon always had upperclassmen on the floor year after year. Just look at that list of 5th year seniors above.

Your criticisms in this particular post are fair toward Jeff Capel in the game 1 loss. They aren’t fair when we have zero redshirt seniors, 1 senior who is barely going to play this year in Brown as a backup role player, 2 juniors, and a team loaded with underclassmen, 2 of which had preseason injuries , 1 still isn’t eligible, and another is a 17 year old kid. There are 7 new players on this basketball team and before Jeff became Coach Pitt was one of if not the worst P6 team in D1 basketball history.

I think the 2 players everyone should be focused on with respect to Jeff Capel’s ability to both recruit (find talent) and develop talent are Toney and Johnson and how they finish this season since they are 2 years into the system and were recruited by Capel. Followed by Champ, Drumgoole, and Coulibaly and how they finish the year in comparison to year 1, both statistically and efficiency. Brown isn't a Capel recruit and doesn't count.

Time and time again people have thrown the towel in way prematurely on young talent and not given them a fair share of time to develop. Brad Wanamaker sits at the very top of that list as constantly disrespected and underappreciated and I would make the case that Brad won more here and was more successful here than anyone.

2 Big East Titles, 2 #1 seeds, 4 Top 20 finishes, 111 career wins, the list goes on and on. 4 Straight years Pitt was in the Top 10 Nationally at some point. Had Mike Cook and Levance Fields both not gotten hurt in 2008, that team was more than good enough to get to the Final 4 too. 3 Years under Brad’s career we were in the Top 5 Nationally in the country. Amazingly, the 2009 team didn’t win either the Big East regular season or tournament after going 15-3 in conference and that team went to the Elite 8. Warrior is the appropriate word here since all Brad did was win consistently. To top it off he made the NBA. And in Brad's freshmen year some people wanted him gone from the team.
It’s a completely different game now. You keep comparing those older teams. They don’t happen in college basketball anymore. Redshirt seniors don’t happen often if at all. If you think Will Jeffress has a couple good years and won’t leave for greener pastures if we haven’t moved up in the ACC because of loyalty to Capel with the one time transfer coming I’m not sure what to tell you.

Recruiting and team building aren’t even close to what they were a decade ago. One college head coach told me he isn’t playing one of his best freshmen specifically so he can’t audition for another school this year. COMPLETELY different game.

Reactions: Drew1208
It’s a completely different game now. You keep comparing those older teams. They don’t happen in college basketball anymore. Redshirt seniors don’t happen often if at all. If you think Will Jeffress has a couple good years and won’t leave for greener pastures if we haven’t moved up in the ACC because of loyalty to Capel with the one time transfer coming I’m not sure what to tell you.

Recruiting and team building aren’t even close to what they were a decade ago. One college head coach told me he isn’t playing one of his best freshmen specifically so he can’t audition for another school this year. COMPLETELY different game.

Only to a degree is what you say true and I agree the game has changed.

However,

2 programs that still use the redshirt philosophy off the top of my head are Virginia and Gonzaga and both are highly successful.

Malcolm Brogden redshirted and he was the player of the Year in the ACC and the defensive player of the year along with being a 1st Team All American. Virginia has 4 current players on their roster right now that previously redshirted.

Gonzaga is the #1 team in the country right now. They just ran all over Kansas. And they have 3 redshirt players on their team in the rotation.

So redshirting is still being done.

Only to a degree is what you say true and I agree the game has changed.

However,

2 programs that still use the redshirt philosophy off the top of my head are Virginia and Gonzaga and both are highly successful.

Malcolm Brogden redshirted and he was the player of the Year in the ACC and the defensive player of the year along with being a 1st Team All American. Virginia has 4 current players on their roster right now that previously redshirted.

Gonzaga is the #1 team in the country right now. They just ran all over Kansas. And they have 3 redshirt players on their team in the rotation.

So redshirting is still being done.
Lol by two guys who are going to stay at their institutions forever and have run the best programs in the country forever...

Not someone who took this job just to audition for the Duke job.

It wasn't. He can't read or focus.

The whole point of the post was to show Butler was getting beat up by bad teams, getting blown out, etc... They lost to a 9 win Youngstown State team and were getting worked by bad teams game after game.

Then 2/3 into the season they flipped the switch and went to the Final 4 again. Because the coaches and the players never gave up on the season.
Let’s not forget 2010/11 season where Pitt easily handled UConn at home . As UConns freshman improved as the season progressed they went on to beat Pitt in the BE tournament and win the national championship . ( I know Pitt doesn’t have K Walker ) Now I’m not suggesting Pitt will win a national championship, but their young guys will improve .

What the first game showed us was that Pitt isn’t ready to compete for an NCAA tournament bid right now , let’s have some patience and see if in two months if the pieces are there going forward .

Your, stupid, useless, cryptic comments aren't satellites, they aren't even getting off the ground.

Let’s not forget 2010/11 season where Pitt easily handled UConn at home . As UConns freshman improved as the season progressed they went on to beat Pitt in the BE tournament and win the national championship . ( I know Pitt doesn’t have K Walker ) Now I’m not suggesting Pitt will win a national championship, but their young guys will improve .

What the first game showed us was that Pitt isn’t ready to compete for an NCAA tournament bid right now , let’s have some patience and see if in two months if the pieces are there going forward .
They haven't been ready since at least 2014

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT