ADVERTISEMENT

SHV Rally House

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Really leaning into Pitt. Has to be the most Pitt gear I've ever seen in a store outside of Oakland....and probably even more than the store at The Pete considering the sizes of the 2 stores. They got a new space at the mall so its a really large store with the right side being the pro teams and the left side being 50% Pitt (front half of store), 12.5% PSU, 12.5% WVU, 25% other local schools (Duq the most) and random Yinzer shirts. Its actually really easy to calculate those totals based on the setup of the store. 2 big Pitt sections. Then PSU shares one section with a Yinzer section. And WVU shares one with the small schools.

Last edited:
Really leaning into Pitt. Has to be the most Pitt gear I've ever seen in a store outside of Oakland....and probably even more than the store at The Pete considering the sizes of the 2 stores. They got a new space at the mall so its a really large store with the right side being the pro teams and the left side being 50% Pitt (front half of store), 12.5% PSU, 12.5% WVU, other local schools (Duq the most) and random Yinzer shirts.
Gear sales not always to actual fans. Having an iconic logo and great colours helps.
I saw a guy with a Pirates hat yesterday (in NZ). He had no idea who the Pirates are. I told him I'm from Pittsburgh, and he said "Pittsburgh Steelers right?".
Some brands are recognised nationally, some globally.
I see all sorts of LA Dodgers and Yankees stuff and most are not actual fans.
Building the brand is really necessary in the new landscape of college sports.

Gear sales not always to actual fans. Having an iconic logo and great colours helps.
I saw a guy with a Pirates hat yesterday (in NZ). He had no idea who the Pirates are. I told him I'm from Pittsburgh, and he said "Pittsburgh Steelers right?".
Used to be a gang in around Newport News, VA that work Pirate hats.

Two points: the SHV Rally House store has more Pitt garb than any store that I’ve seen. And it’s right there as you walk in…..a must visit for Pitt fans in the South Hills.

*We were in Aruba last month, and I was rotating ball caps, wearing a Pitt cap one day, then a Steelers cap the next.

In three weeks, my Pitt cap elicited one response (from a young lady who smiled and said, “Hail To!”).

The Steelers cap got me about 10 responses - mostly from fans of other teams (KC, New England, and Baltimore, to name 3) wanting to know “what the hell is going on with the Steelers’ quarterback situation”. Apparently, we Steelers fans weren’t the only ones who were befuddled by what was being decided in the Steelers front offices.

The Dick's at Robinson Mall is also heavily ratio-ed to Pitt over other schools like PSU & WVU. Not a ton of Pitt stuff, but much more than the other schools. They also have RMU & Duquesne gear, which I don't see almost anywhere. Maybe they will get a cool new LaRoche section this Fall....

True, but that was hundreds of years ago.

Pirate-Captain-Hat-Picture.jpg

P for Pitbulls? We know how they love their dog fights down there.

(I have actually become a fan of Michael Vick since those days. He’s done a lot of good since then).

Like you I follow English soccer, and I occasionally see players and fans sporting pirate hats in the crowd or away from the pitch. I always find it profound because there’s not a chance in hell they know who the pirates are. I also know it’s a thing to wear a hat that standings for something. Like I used to know a guy whose initials are BM so he always wore a brewers hat.

If only there was a team that had an fk logo, I’d be set. Especially if it was Pitt colors like the brewers.

Reactions: USN_Panther
P for Pitbulls? We know how they love their dog fights down there.

(I have actually become a fan of Michael Vick since those days. He’s done a lot of good since then).
I really don't know. I was warned about the gang stuff when I did some work at the ship yards and was wearing a Pirate's hat. Was pretty clear I didn't fit the profile for the membership but I learned to be careful with symbolism and to mind my own business when I ventured into industrial areas of big cities. Never had any problems.

Really leaning into Pitt. Has to be the most Pitt gear I've ever seen in a store outside of Oakland....and probably even more than the store at The Pete considering the sizes of the 2 stores. They got a new space at the mall so its a really large store with the right side being the pro teams and the left side being 50% Pitt (front half of store), 12.5% PSU, 12.5% WVU, 25% other local schools (Duq the most) and random Yinzer shirts. Its actually really easy to calculate those totals based on the setup of the store. 2 big Pitt sections. Then PSU shares one section with a Yinzer section. And WVU shares one with the small schools.
Lots of Pitt gear in Crammedberry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT