ADVERTISEMENT

Single game tickets

I agree and for Pitt to fill the Pete up they need to be team that can win or at least seriously compete for ACC titles not an 8-6 team . They also need a couple of players folks want to see . Jamie’s last few seasons it was becoming obvious that Pitt was trending in the wrong direction and attendence suffered. Can Pitt ever fill up the Pete again except for an occasional Duke or UNC game , I doubt it unless they seriously commit the necessary resources to be a contender . I don’t see this in their future , do you ?

There is always an excuse from pitt fans. Sure, they have done a lot that sucks, but to not sell out against top 10 team when you have a pretty good team yourself is on the fans.

Same in football. This year I expect wretched attendance, but I go back to the Thursday night game narduzzi’s first great against UNC where pitt was 6-1, and playing got a real shot at the coastal. Attendance was pathetic, maybe 40k actually there?

Yeah, at some points low attendance is justified, but for situations like that Louisville b-ball game and UNC football game, there was no excuse.

We didn’t even sell out pitt vs cincy in 09, and there were a good amount of cincy fans in the 63k in attendance. I also don’t think it is pitt fans, just Pittsburgh fans in general who think anything less than a Stanley cup, super bowl, World Series, etc is an unacceptable year. If the steelers would have lost to the chiefs last week steeler tickets would have become extremely easy to get.

It is a pro city. Yinzers are not going to be bothered to go to a Pitt game they can watch on TV unless the team is really great. Its that simple.

But yet it seems you constantly blame pitt and Dixon for poor attendance
No , I liked JD , but not to recognize that his recruiting had fallen off the cliff his last few yrs here is not being honest . Not playing Luther in his final game as HC to me cost Pitt the W and made the whole process easier for Barnes and co . to force him out . I personally would’ve given him another two seasons to right the ship .
Pitts decision making is an all together different matter . No need to go all the way back to the Jackie Sherril era , but Pitts administrators have made mistake after mistake . Luckily for them no one else wanted the job when Howland left or who knows who they’d have hired then . When building the Pete Pitt made it too big for its bb fan base . An 8/9000 seat capacity facility would’ve keep demand high for tickets . Keeping mandatory donations on ticket packages ( even the mini packages ) that no one wants is a pretty strange marketing ploy .
You like to blame the fans/customers while I blame the management for lack of support . You become a fan of a team because you enjoy going to the games and following them . It’s obvious that through the years Pitt has failed to deliver teams that students ,alumni and Pgh area residents choice to support .

No , I liked JD , but not to recognize that his recruiting had fallen off the cliff his last few yrs here is not being honest . Not playing Luther in his final game as HC to me cost Pitt the W and made the whole process easier for Barnes and co . to force him out . I personally would’ve given him another two seasons to right the ship .
Pitts decision making is an all together different matter . No need to go all the way back to the Jackie Sherril era , but Pitts administrators have made mistake after mistake . Luckily for them no one else wanted the job when Howland left or who knows who they’d have hired then . When building the Pete Pitt made it too big for its bb fan base . An 8/9000 seat capacity facility would’ve keep demand high for tickets . Keeping mandatory donations on ticket packages ( even the mini packages ) that no one wants is a pretty strange marketing ploy .
You like to blame the fans/customers while I blame the management for lack of support . You become a fan of a team because you enjoy going to the games and following them . It’s obvious that through the years Pitt has failed to deliver teams that students ,alumni and Pgh area residents choice to support .
Perhaps that's the issue - plenty of programs go through lean years but their fans continue to support. Here? Pitt fans - What have you done for ME lately? We have zero community support and weak ass fans. Not saying that Pitt hasn't made their fair share of mistakes, but if you're looking for a perfect, unblemished season to somehow draw support, don't hold your breath. It's not realistic. And trust me, even if they did, there would will STILL be excuses.

Reactions: Pittfan85
Now all of a sudden the Pete is the wrong size. LOL. Luckily the basketball team was good and all the seats were sold for a long period of time. Pitt basketball was the Bread Winner for awhile.

Close. Stubhub has a $6 minimum price. :)

How do you group Keynes in with Friedman?
I guess PITT will challenge age old economic theory this year.

>Bad product
>Angry unhappy customers
>Low demand
And
<High pricing???

That should work? Go PITT athletics!

Scr-w you:

1. John Maynard Keynes
    1883 - 1946

2. Adam Smith
    1723 - 1790

3. Milton Friedman
    1912 - 2006

If this works alot of text books will have to be revised.

How do you group Keynes in with Friedman? Keynes is rubbish.

Now all of a sudden the Pete is the wrong size. LOL. Luckily the basketball team was good and all the seats were sold for a long period of time. Pitt basketball was the Bread Winner for awhile.
I personally preferred the old Field House ( not the seats ! ) . It will be a long time if ever before Pitt ever comes close to selling out the Pete again . Demand gives you pricing leverage and Pitt will have no leverage for a long long time .

Perhaps that's the issue - plenty of programs go through lean years but their fans continue to support. Here? Pitt fans - What have you done for ME lately? We have zero community support and weak ass fans. Not saying that Pitt hasn't made their fair share of mistakes, but if you're looking for a perfect, unblemished season to somehow draw support, don't hold your breath. It's not realistic. And trust me, even if they did, there would will STILL be excuses.
It takes yrs of success to built a solid fan base .

It takes yrs of success to built a solid fan base .

Pitt was one of the top programs in the country for a decade. As soon as pitt went from a 1-4 seed sort of team, to an 8-10 seed sort of team, those fans bailed.

I expect fans to bail when you go 1-17 like pitt may go this year. However, when you are an NCAA team and people like you complain it isn’t good enough, that is the fans fault...not Jamie Dixon or the athletic departments issue.

Reactions: pitt-girl

It’s all nonsense. It is all an excuse. We all know that even when Dixon was getting number seeds a lot of people complained. Then his last 5 years even more people wanted him gone and called those 5 years unbearable, garbage, a dumpster fire, etc.

It’s ridiculous.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT