ADVERTISEMENT

Skenes had a no-hitter through 7 and they took him out?

Skenes is a 22 year old professional athlete, he should be strong enough and in good enough shape to throw however many pitches he needs to in a given game. The pussification of professional athletes in this country has gotten so far our of hand it is ridiculous. What next for the Pirates? Do they start to monitor the number of steps that Bryan Reynolds has taken in a given game? Nolan Ryan at the advanced age of 25 was threw 20 Complete Games in a season. Followed that up with throwing 21 or more Complete Games in four of the next five seasons. Amazing how an old man like Ryan could do that, huh??? I doubt if the Pirates entire pitching staff will throw more then 5 the entire season.
I am willing to bet that if Pual Skenes (or any other MLB pitcher) had a no hitter going after 6 or 7 innings, they would want the chance to do something memorable and be given the chance to try and finish up what they have started.
The reality of it is, Derek Shelton has the most comfortable and secure job in not only MLB, but all professional sports. He manages a baseball team that has an owner that has little interest in trying to win a championship. A team close to the .500 mark, will get Shelton an extension. If his team ever ends up above the .500 mark, he will be given a lifetime contract.
We all know that talented players like Skenes, O'Neill Cruz and even Jared Jones (this one hurts the most because that means his girlfriend will leave as well) are just here temporarily and that their future teams like the Yankees, Braves, Astros and Dodgers will be very happy that the Pirates protected their future players.
Sounds like it may come as quite a surprise to you that this isn’t limited to the Pirates. Luvullo was on the radio the other day and said he’d have done the same thing. Would have given it a lot more thought and maybe more room if it was a perfect game.

Reactions: 303vND
Skenes is a 22 year old professional athlete, he should be strong enough and in good enough shape to throw however many pitches he needs to in a given game. The pussification of professional athletes in this country has gotten so far our of hand it is ridiculous. What next for the Pirates? Do they start to monitor the number of steps that Bryan Reynolds has taken in a given game? Nolan Ryan at the advanced age of 25 was threw 20 Complete Games in a season. Followed that up with throwing 21 or more Complete Games in four of the next five seasons. Amazing how an old man like Ryan could do that, huh??? I doubt if the Pirates entire pitching staff will throw more then 5 the entire season.
I am willing to bet that if Pual Skenes (or any other MLB pitcher) had a no hitter going after 6 or 7 innings, they would want the chance to do something memorable and be given the chance to try and finish up what they have started.
The reality of it is, Derek Shelton has the most comfortable and secure job in not only MLB, but all professional sports. He manages a baseball team that has an owner that has little interest in trying to win a championship. A team close to the .500 mark, will get Shelton an extension. If his team ever ends up above the .500 mark, he will be given a lifetime contract.
We all know that talented players like Skenes, O'Neill Cruz and even Jared Jones (this one hurts the most because that means his girlfriend will leave as well) are just here temporarily and that their future teams like the Yankees, Braves, Astros and Dodgers will be very happy that the Pirates protected their future players.
Okay - you said all of that to say what? The bottom line in my post is you don't worry about the Yankees or any other team down the road. He's here now and you have to protect your investment.

Okay - you said all of that to say what? The bottom line in my post is you don't worry about the Yankees or any other team down the road. He's here now and you have to protect your investment.

But again, how does throwing 20-30 pitches in 1 game hurt your investment? The risk of injury coming from an extra 30 pitches is like having your RB go out there up 21 with 6:00 left in the game. Its possible they get injured. It happens. But the chances of an injury in that short-time period are very close to 0

But again, how does throwing 20-30 pitches in 1 game hurt your investment? The risk of injury coming from an extra 30 pitches is like having your RB go out there up 21 with 6:00 left in the game. Its possible they get injured. It happens. But the chances of an injury in that short-time period are very close to 0
Ask MLB...every team in the league does it.

No, Im asking you. What do YOU think? What was the risk of significant injury caused by the extra 30 pitches? 50% chance of a season-ending injury? 10%?
Any time you throw additional pitches it could impact your arm - this ain't that hard.

I see both sides of the issue and I'm not outraged like many by the decuison to pull him, but again, unless Skenes was laboring, I'd have left him in.

That's where I'm at. Like I said, he breezed through the 6th and the 7th so it's not like he was laboring at that point. If he was, then get him out of there. But he wasn't.

But my guess is that the thinking was OK, we send him out for the 8th and he throws 15-ish pitches, which is what he was averaging on the day, and he's still got a no hitter, and he's somewhere in the mid-110s, and then people are going to be really pissed if you take him out, and another group of people are going to be pissed if you send him back out there.

Taking him out there was the easy decision. It required no thought. Which is what Derick Shelton seems to like.

Any time you throw additional pitches it could impact your arm - this ain't that hard.

Right. But that's with every position in every sport. So I'm asking, what is the risk of significant injury with 30 more pitches in 1 game? Everything comes down to risk/reward. The reward is that he and the Pirates participate in a historic game. Its a great reward. But what is the risk to achieve that? Is there a 20% chance that the potential no-hitter would cause him a significant injury? 10%? 1%? What do you think? I'll go. I'll say the extra 30 pitches give him a .0001% chance of a significant injury. The risk is low enough that it should have been taken.

Ummm..wut? No. Just no.

Repetitive motion injuries are certainly common but pitching is unique.

I mean every snap in football risks a serious injury. Even basketball, you can rip your knee up. There's risk in every sport. I'm not saying Skenes wouldn't have thrown his arm out had he stayed in. He may have. But the risk of that was infinitely low.

The Pirates won the game. The team got basically the only reward that mattered from their perspective.

They didn't take him out to win the game. A slightly tired Skenes is far better than whatever reliever they threw in there. They took him out to not risk injury so his value remains high for the Yankees.

The reward is that he and the Pirates participate in a historic game. Its a great reward. But what is the risk to achieve that?
It was historic even by pulling him -- according to the Post Gazette "Skenes is now just the second player in baseball history to accomplish such a feat (multiple starts with six-plus no-hit innings and 11 strikeouts) in a single season, with the other being Nolan Ryan."

Sounds like it may come as quite a surprise to you that this isn’t limited to the Pirates. Luvullo was on the radio the other day and said he’d have done the same thing. Would have given it a lot more thought and maybe more room if it was a perfect ga
That is because the "pussification" of American professional athletes (outside of NHL players) has gotten out of hand. Some jackass somewhere, decided that 100 pitches is the end point now for MLB SP's. WHY???
Why not 120 or 75??? The 100 pitch number indicates nothing. Paul Skenes is a strikeout pitcher. Because of that he will need to throw more pitches to accumulate those strikeouts that everyone loves to see him do. Also, I do have to laugh when Shelton talks about saving him for "meaningful games" in August and September. This is Pittsburgh and the Pirates don;t play meaningful games at that time of year. By the way, I am fully aware of their situation right now and these aren't meaningful games to the organization. If they were, they would have went out and spent some money on MLB ready talent to help them try to compete this year. Ownership don't care, so why should the fans care???

Is the goal to protect your "investment" or is to try and win a World Series???
As you said, he's here now, so why not go out and try to win now? I can guarantee you, he will not be here in 4 years. If he is as good as he appears the Pirates will never sign him to a new contract. Even if they did, they have proven that they will not spend any money to bring in proven MLB everyday players. Other then Reynolds, who else do they have? Cruz has shown potential, Suwinski and Davis could be goof players but the Pirates hitting coaches have screwed them up just like they did to Pedro Alvarez. Hayes on a good hitting team like the Yankees or Dodgers is serviceable, here he is just another player. The remaining Pirates everyday players are backups on most other MLB teams. May I add, is there another coach of a professional sports team in this country who has a better more secure job then Derek Shelton? I mean, the guy doesn't even need to win and his job is safe. If he sniffs the .500 mark, they will build a statue for him outside PNC Park. As of right now, the Pirates are 56-56. That leaves them with 50 games to be played. This also the time when the Pirates do their yearly dumping of higher priced players and over the hill players that have shown some signs of life with the team. I would not be surprised if the Pirates ended up in the 73-74 win total. If that happens, they will sign Shelton to a contract extension. The insanity just continues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT