ADVERTISEMENT

Slovis offically in portal

I’d prefer to see Yarnell as there is a semblance of a future with him. We’ll be running 95% of the time regardless however. Probably see a good bit of Wildcat.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
To quote our famous former coach, I appreciate him. Evolved into Turman 2.0 instead of Genilla 2.0 which is where Slovis was heading after UNC. So I appreciate his turnaround that salvaged November. But better QB play and this is a 9 win season at least and perhaps back in Charlotte.

Good luck and thanks for your contributions this season

EDIT: Also thanks for the WVU game. Good game in a big environment.

Last edited:
Marquis Williams and Rashad Battle don't see too upset by this news. Seems like Kedon wasn't well liked here.

To quote our famous former coach, I appreciate him. Evolved into Turman 2.0 instead of Genilla 2.0 which is where Slovis was heading after UNC. So I appreciate his turnaround that salvaged November. But better QB play and this is a 9 win season at least and perhaps back in Charlotte.

Good luck and thanks for your contributions this season

EDIT: Also thanks for the WVU game. Good game in a big environment.
Well said.

It really makes you wonder what happens if a couple things go a different way in that Tennessee game. If the refs call offsides on Slovis’ endzone INT (like they should have) and if he doesn’t get knocked out at the end of the first half, perhaps the season goes differently for him and the team. He just didn’t look the same after that game until it was too late, sadly.

Hope he bounces back and can fulfill his dream of making it to the NFL.

It really makes you wonder what happens if a couple things go a different way in that Tennessee game. If the refs call offsides on Slovis’ endzone INT (like they should have) and if he doesn’t get knocked out at the end of the first half, perhaps the season goes differently for him and the team. He just didn’t look the same after that game until it was too late, sadly.

oh man, that Tennessee game was one big what if. What if Mumpfield doesn't drop pass on 5 yard line with easy shot to endzone? Would have been 14-0 instead of 10-0. And that endzone int. It was a defensive holding call that the SEC ref picked up the flag (an obvious hold). Slovis said he saw the flag and thought he had a free play and forced it in there. Actually it was one of his better throws this season and if Means makes the difficult but not impossible catch it is 21-0 (again if Mumpfield doesn't drop his pass on previous drive)

Tennessee would have been in a big hole at that point. Still very early in game and plenty of time with their quick strike offense to come back. But the defense shut them down in second half so who's to say we really wouldn't have clamped down with a 21-0 lead?

And of course the fateful drive before halftime that changed the course of the whole season.

You hate to point to one game as a turning point, but if you could get a do-over, that would be it

I certainly do appreciate his efforts. Can only wonder how things would have gone if not for the tattering he took on the first half of the TN game.

Reactions: gary2
I'm surprised to be honest. Maybe its because Jurkovic wants to come here so its a mutual decision. But I have to think coming back and playing in system one more year after a potential 9-4 season would be better than starting all over again. And isn't his girlfriend at Pitt? Not sure how much that matters. But just saying. I wonder if there is a chance he comes back.

He needs a simple “count the numbers in the box and do either A or B” type offense.

Basically removes all decision making from him, so he’s not asked to process much.

Something like Hooker got into when he went to Tennessee.

I'm surprised to be honest. Maybe its because Jurkovic wants to come here so its a mutual decision. But I have to think coming back and playing in system one more year after a potential 9-4 season would be better than starting all over again. And isn't his girlfriend at Pitt? Not sure how much that matters. But just saying. I wonder if there is a chance he comes back.
It was said, perhaps hearsay, in another thread that his girlfriend also transferred or is about to

Reactions: Gep Dawg
The concussion had nothing to do with this. Go rewatch the first two games. Narduzzi himself hinted toward Slovis not knowing which protections to call, etc. after the Tennessee game. He led some good drives in those games, just as he did sporadically throughout the season - usually when we opened it up and allowed him to go shotgun. But he has been befuddled all season long in this offense. It was a bad mix from day one.

No interest in seeing any more of Patti. No offense to him but he isn’t the future and shouldn’t be the starter next year. They need to give Yarnell as much experience as possible if he’s in the mix to start next year. Kind of like how Voytik showed glimpses in the Pizza Bowl or whatever it was called (even though he didn’t work out long term).

No interest in seeing any more of Patti. No offense to him but he isn’t the future and shouldn’t be the starter next year. They need to give Yarnell as much experience as possible if he’s in the mix to start next year. Kind of like how Voytik showed glimpses in the Pizza Bowl or whatever it was called (even though he didn’t work out long term).

You're not a fan of happy feet and inaccurate side-armed slings?

I actually just went back and looked because I didn’t remember offsides on the end zone INT. There definitely wasn’t offsides. Not even a flinch. So you might be confusing plays.

On the other hand…substitute “if Means doesn’t play volleyball with it it could have been a different season”, then the point holds.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
oh man, that Tennessee game was one big what if. What if Mumpfield doesn't drop pass on 5 yard line with easy shot to endzone? Would have been 14-0 instead of 10-0. And that endzone int. It was a defensive holding call that the SEC ref picked up the flag (an obvious hold). Slovis said he saw the flag and thought he had a free play and forced it in there. Actually it was one of his better throws this season and if Means makes the difficult but not impossible catch it is 21-0 (again if Mumpfield doesn't drop his pass on previous drive)

Tennessee would have been in a big hole at that point. Still very early in game and plenty of time with their quick strike offense to come back. But the defense shut them down in second half so who's to say we really wouldn't have clamped down with a 21-0 lead?

And of course the fateful drive before halftime that changed the course of the whole season.

You hate to point to one game as a turning point, but if you could get a do-over, that would be it
Saul's missed 2 fg's too and Obrien gets knocked out of bounds by his own player after blocking a punt would of been a sure td

I actually just went back and looked because I didn’t remember offsides on the end zone INT. There definitely wasn’t offsides. Not even a flinch. So you might be confusing plays.

On the other hand…substitute “if Means doesn’t play volleyball with it it could have been a different season”, then the point holds.

It was a defensive holding call that they picked up the flag on. They threw the flag; Slovis saw it and took a chance he otherwise wouldn't have; and then they picked it up after the play resulted in an interception. They said the receiver fell (he didn't). So it was about as royal of a screwing as a team could have gotten. Not only did they blow the call, but they also encouraged our QB to take a chance and throw a fluky interception.

I too am a what iffer for the season had he not gotten injured vs. Tenn. While he had his own concerns in the first too games, a healthy Slovis probably eeks out a win against UT and then doesn’t have as much fog vs GT. Probably could have gotten to 10-2 and likely could beat UCLA for 9-4. Disappointing to some, but I thank the kid for his service.

It was a defensive holding call that they picked up the flag on. They threw the flag; Slovis saw it and took a chance he otherwise wouldn't have; and then they picked it up after the play resulted in an interception. They said the receiver fell (he didn't). So it was about as royal of a screwing as a team could have gotten. Not only did they blow the call, but they also encouraged our QB to take a chance and throw a fluky interception.
Now now remember refs don't control the outcomes of games lol.

What QB is going to want to come here to hand off? Slovis leaving is because of the offense. We threw 345 passes and ran 475 times. That is why we won't get a good QB.

Only so many QB openings at upper half P5 programs. I’m sure we’ll get decent interest.

Reactions: VA+changed
The concussion had nothing to do with this. Go rewatch the first two games. Narduzzi himself hinted toward Slovis not knowing which protections to call, etc. after the Tennessee game. He led some good drives in those games, just as he did sporadically throughout the season - usually when we opened it up and allowed him to go shotgun. But he has been befuddled all season long in this offense. It was a bad mix from day one.
It was a bad mix from the day they brought cignetti in.

Sorry, I think it was defensive holding. @Slick Manager of Champs had the correct penalty above.

Patti had a td called back in that tenn game as well due to a debatable holding call o. Wayne that game was so frustrating

Slovis basically put up eerily similar numbers in attempts and yards as Pickett 2020 with slightly lower completion rate. I’m willing to let Cig pick his own guy and then see. They can show the tape of Tenn and GT and be like with you here we would have won these games. A lot worse places to be and an easy schedule the next two years. I’d also use the WMU footage of yarnell and be like if you can throw we will let you throw.

There is nothing wrong in having a run game with the passing game. In years past Pitt was unable to run at all and it cost them a few games. This was after Ollison and Hall had left. I think Coach Narduzzi wants some balance. It made sense this year to run with Izzy and a talented backfield. The problem in the middle of the season was the turnovers killing drives. The special teams also contributed with mistakes and penalties.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT