ADVERTISEMENT

So Alliance412 is trying to raise $1M before portal season?

Oct 25, 2021
God bless them, but will they even get to $50,000?

This is all starting to feel grimy. I'm fine with people making the monthly donation - $25, $50, $100... whatever you can afford - but are we going to do this every year on top of that just so Kenny Johnson doesn't go to Penn State and we can get some half-decent P5 linebacker over Purdue?

I know some of you say you won't watch if we're no longer playing big time college football, but I'm more than ready to cede into a league with more reasonable peers if this bid-a-thon isn't quelled. I don't need to watch Pitt max out at 6-6 simply because our alumni base is smaller than many others. Figure out a way to pay these dudes with the insane TV money being shoveled in.

This is all starting to feel grimy. I'm fine with people making the monthly donation - $25, $50, $100... whatever you can afford - but are we going to do this every year on top of that just so Kenny Johnson doesn't go to Penn State and we can get some half-decent P5 linebacker over Purdue?

I know some of you say you won't watch if we're no longer playing big time college football, but I'm more than ready to cede into a league with more reasonable peers if this bid-a-thon isn't quelled. I don't need to watch Pitt max out at 6-6 simply because our alumni base is smaller than many others. Figure out a way to pay these dudes with the insane TV money being shoveled in.
Paying players and providing benefits is nothing new. The only difference is it is called NIL nowadays.

Reactions: PittMan2003
I’m glad the kids are getting money. But it does feel grimier by the day.

As for contributing - I’m out as I’ve said before. I’m sure some are gonna tell me I’m part of the problem, but any donating I do will be to far worthier causes.

Bickell and other heavy hitters are free to do as they wish with their money, but I can’t fathom giving that kind of money for athletics. But I guess for those whose priority is college football it’s a must.

As for contributing - I’m out as I’ve said before. I’m sure some are gonna tell me I’m part of the problem, but any donating I do will be to far worthier causes.

Bickell and other heavy hitters are free to do as they wish with their money, but I can’t fathom giving that kind of money for athletics. But I guess for those whose priority is college football it’s a must.
The problem with your post is, it makes too much sense.

Paying players and providing benefits is nothing new. The only difference is it is called NIL nowadays.

Thanks for the history lesson; I had no idea.

The difference is they're asking their peon paying customers, the ones who already support the product, to pick up their labor costs as well, while the school/etc. pockets the profits. That's weird, man; it's weird as hell. I don't pay the shelf stockers at Giant Eagle simply because I shop there or turn around and hand $200 in wages to the plumber who just unclogged my drain for $450.

I know as Pitt fans we have it pretty cheap as far as season tickets go and whatnot. So, like I said, I'm fine with the monthly donation. I like that it supports some kids who probably don't have an NFL future. But this? This is just odd.

Thanks for the history lesson; I had no idea.

The difference is they're asking their peon paying customers, the ones who already support the product, to pick up their labor costs as well, while the school/etc. pockets the profits. That's weird, man; it's weird as hell. I don't pay the shelf stockers at Giant Eagle simply because I shop there or turn around and hand $200 in wages to the plumber who just unclogged my drain for $450.

I know as Pitt fans we have it pretty cheap as far as season tickets go and whatnot. So, like I said, I'm fine with the monthly donation. I like that it supports some kids who probably don't have an NFL future. But this? This is just odd.
Anyone who thinks that the average Joe is going to move the NIL needle is delusional. Also, NIL is unsustainable. NIL demands will go up and up until the bubble bursts and only the programs with the deepest pockets will come out unscathed. In the meantime, academic/athletic donations directly to the universities will be hurt more and more as donors are influenced to redirect their money.

If someone is a true Pitt fan, they better start praying this gets reigned in quickly. Otherwise it will be the demise of the program.

I make my monthy contribution but its not going to be enough to keep Gavin Bartholomew (but also I dont care that much). They need the Tepper's out there to be "donating" 6-7 figures a year. We dont have the volume of "regular fans" to pool our money together to compete.

This is why I say, Pitt should say screw it and pay the players directly. What's the NCAA going to do? 1 year bowl ban?

They should send us all like $5000 Alliance 412 gift cards. Or do something crazy like making season tickets free with a $1000 Alliance 412 donation. Honestly. Pitt needs to find a way to pay the players directly and have the university cover all the football costs. The most important thing is ensuring these kids, well not the kids on the team now because they arent good, make competitive salaries.

Its grimy because the fans have to pay the salaries and they are undisclosed. Its a ridiculous model.

Reactions: Burgh15
Yeah it’s pretty depressing. I will always say that if the real Pitt diehards just made reasonable donations we could at least be competitive. By this I mean like $25 a month. But Pitt fans are really cheap.

Reactions: ThePanthers
I make my monthy contribution but its not going to be enough to keep Gavin Bartholomew (but also I dont care that much). They need the Tepper's out there to be "donating" 6-7 figures a year. We dont have the volume of "regular fans" to pool our money together to compete.

This is why I say, Pitt should say screw it and pay the players directly. What's the NCAA going to do? 1 year bowl ban?

They should send us all like $5000 Alliance 412 gift cards. Or do something crazy like making season tickets free with a $1000 Alliance 412 donation. Honestly. Pitt needs to find a way to pay the players directly and have the university cover all the football costs. The most important thing is ensuring these kids, well not the kids on the team now because they arent good, make competitive salaries.

I think where us peasants come in is to not cause the guys like Bickell, who actually matter, to lose morale. If we can't even part with 20 bucks/month, eventually those big donors are just going to question why they should care either.

You know there is some diabetic SEC fan, with dirty feet and velcro shoes, on a fixed income foregoing his medicine so he can give Alabama $50/month. That's the part I find sad.

Reactions: ECpittfan
Anyone who thinks that the average Joe is going to move the NIL needle is delusional. Also, NIL is unsustainable. NIL demands will go up and up until the bubble bursts and only the programs with the deepest pockets will come out unscathed. In the meantime, academic/athletic donations directly to the universities will be hurt more and more as donors are influenced to redirect their money.

If someone is a true Pitt fan, they better start praying this gets reigned in quickly. Otherwise it will be the demise of the program.

I hope everyone gets together and asks, "What the hell are we all doing, here?" And I think that probably will happen and we'll gravitate more toward an employee/wages model.

The problem is what might happen before that goes down. We might already be kicked out of the show.

And, like I said, if that doesn't happen, I'd just as soon be out of the show anyway.

I hope everyone gets together and asks, "What the hell are we all doing, here?" And I think that probably will happen and we'll gravitate more toward an employee/wages model.

The problem is what might happen before that goes down. We might already be kicked out of the show.

And, like I said, if that doesn't happen, I'd just as soon be out of the show anyway.
You are such a whiny b#tch.

That is the only way forward. Have the revenue earner pay it's employees.

College sports now is indeed a grimy, gutter business. I'm also done with contributing to what I know is that kind of business. My contributions now go toward charities and much more worthy causes than paying off some kid just so he comes here or stays here. I'd be all for Pitt going to a different level of football if this is what it is. I don't give 2 s$%ts what the O$U's, Michigans, Alabamas, PissU's and other so-called big time programs do. If they want to participate in this, they can go to hell.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but it feels like a good minority. Just because most people do it doesn't make it right.

Well athletes were just given class status in their federal lawsuit against the NCAA for restricting their ability to earn through NIL restrictions as well as media revenue share from their contributions. Apparently the judge wasn't swayed by the NCAA's argument that the students don't provide any of the value to their sports. If Congress does not step in, the NCAA is history once this makes it to the SCOTUS.

This makes total sense. And I agree wholeheartedly.

Thanks. Continue on with your mission to cannibalize what few fans this program has.
I’m not the one who comes on here before a game against FSU whining about NIL. I will be heading to the game and tailgating with about 20 people in the Gold Garage at around 12:45. Feel free to stop by, but I’m guessing you have an excuse as to why you can’t make the game.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Thanks. Continue on with your mission to cannibalize what few fans this program has.

Let people throw their money away if that's what they want to do. It's their choice. But it won't matter one bit when Pitt is left standing on the outside looking in while 10 or 15 of the largest programs are still screwing everything over. If fans don't see what's coming, they're blind.

I’m not the one who comes on here before a game against FSU whining about NIL. I will be heading to the game and tailgating with about 20 people in the Gold Garage at about 12:45. Feel free to stop by, but I’m guessing you have an excuse as to why you can’t make the game.

Covid season aside, I have missed three games since we joined the ACC. Syracuse 2014 (my tickets were still used), Villanova 2016 (my tickets were still used), and GT 2022. Try again, Polly.

No doubt, I love my school and would love top caliber players here, but there are children in our country that don't have food to eat. Like you said, its' a matter of priorities.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
This is pretty weak from most of the responses here. Nobody is saying you should let your kids starve or not be able to turn on your electric. Just give $20 a month. It’s a minor sacrifice…

It’s no wonder we are a mediocre program.

I’m with you there. I’ll continue donating to the Med School, but I just don’t have much of an appetite for the NIL machine because, as @mlvnsmly said above, I don’t feel great about contributing to something that I believe is unsustainable.

Reactions: mlvnsmly
This is pretty weak from most of the responses here. Nobody is saying you should let your kids starve or not be able to turn on your electric. Just give $20 a month. It’s a minor sacrifice…

It’s no wonder we are a mediocre program.
$20 a month for me would be less than a minor sacrifice. Now before anyone jumps at that I’m not loaded (or even close) by any stretch and this isn’t meant as any kind of humble brag or any other such thing. I’m a working man my entire life, believe me.

I only say that to make my point that the $20 would still go to something I think is more important or worthy. Even if I donated to the point of sacrifice, college athletics still wouldn’t even be anywhere on my list of things I’d like to donate to.

I’m with you there. I’ll continue donating to the Med School, but I just don’t have much of an appetite for the NIL machine because, as @mlvnsmly said above, I don’t feel great about contributing to something that I believe is unsustainable.
Given all the needs here and the world over, I just think it’s gross. I don’t care if it’s sustainable or not.

Others have different priorities and that’s ok too. I don’t spend anyone’s money or even suggest what they should do with it.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Given all the needs here and the world over, I just think it’s gross. I don’t care if it’s sustainable or not.

Others have different priorities and that’s ok too. I don’t spend anyone’s money or even suggest what they should do with it.
I think we’re on the same page here. It’s likely an unpopular opinion on a Pitt FB message board ( :D ), but I’ll stand by that. If we were ever going to donate to the athletic department, it’d be for the academic support services.

I think where us peasants come in is to not cause the guys like Bickell, who actually matter, to lose morale. If we can't even part with 20 bucks/month, eventually those big donors are just going to question why they should care either.

You know there is some diabetic SEC fan, with dirty feet and velcro shoes, on a fixed income foregoing his medicine so he can give Alabama $50/month. That's the part I find sad.

Good point about Bickell. And yes, the diabetic SEC fan is paying these future millionaires $50/month but there's also just more of them than there are of us. Remember, the vast majority of Pitt fans are just as big of a Steeler/Penguin fan, if not bigger. The idea of having to pay players directly is a completely foreign concept and most hate it.

NCAA Football is so screwed up. Its like they say, ok, we will pay the players now, but you fans have to do it and we are going to keep some parts from the illegal booster payments of the past (ie these salaries are secret). I think eventually the schools will be able to pay the players directly because this is so stupid. If aliens are looking down on us thinking of an invading, they only need to see our amateur football model and they'll be scared off, not wanting to waste their time on such an unintelligent lifeform.

I think we’re on the same page here. It’s likely an unpopular opinion on a Pitt FB message board ( :D ), but I’ll stand by that. If we were ever going to donate to the athletic department, it’d be for the academic support services.
And actually there is one thing I take exception to. People who send money to charlatans like Joel Osteen and his ilk are fools.

Yeah, it's definitely weird. On one hand, I waste a lot of money on very stupid things, so I don't know why this (contributing to a hobby of mine) should feel much different. I think it has something to do with it bring structured so similarly to other, actually charitable, donations.

But, like I've said, I think I'm comfortable with the reasonable monthly amount. I can talk myself into that just being the cost of the hobby I enjoy. In an ideal world, I would love to see guys who played for Pitt and have no NFL future bank that money to be used as a nest egg to start their lives, but I'm not that naive.

This million-dollar pledge on top of that sort of has a different vibe, though. Aside from the fact that there's no guarantee of any sort of results, I just feel bad doing that when it could be going toward real problems. The system just need a revamping, in my opinion. These schools and conferences (and the NCAA) need to foot the bill.

I'd actually feel like a loser if I donated any significant portion of my income to this. It would be like if someone else told me they were dropping a few thousand on a Magic the Gathering tournament or something.

Good point about Bickell. And yes, the diabetic SEC fan is paying these future millionaires $50/month but there's also just more of them than there are of us. Remember, the vast majority of Pitt fans are just as big of a Steeler/Penguin fan, if not bigger. The idea of having to pay players directly is a completely foreign concept and most hate it.

Yeah, 20,000 people paying $20/month would be ideal in my opinion. Our season tickets are cheap - just consider that the cost of maintaining a decent program or something.

But, as you alluded to, that's not how this town works. There are just too many other options. If the Pirates suck, well, people will just ignore the Pirates that year. Pitt football overlapping with the Steelers? Forget about it.

Yeah, 20,000 people paying $20/month would be ideal in my opinion. Our season tickets are cheap - just consider that the cost of maintaining a decent program or something.

But, as you alluded to, that's not how this town works. There are just too many other options. If the Pirates suck, well, people will just ignore the Pirates that year. Pitt football overlapping with the Steelers? Forget about it.
Yeah that many people donating $20 a month would have us in good shape. Too bad we can’t even get close to that.

Yeah that many people donating $20 a month would have us in good shape. Too bad we can’t even get close to that.

Which is why they need to get rid of the mandated PC donation with season tickets and make it an Alliance 412 donation. Is this against NCAA rules? I guess but so what. I will gladly accept the 1 year bowl ban if it comes to that.

And we wonder why guys like George Pickens say "free me" an hour after he couldn't get two feet down for a sure TD catch.

That is the only way forward. Have the revenue earner pay it's employees.
Unless there is a salary cap, we would never be able to match player salaries with any school in SEC or Big10. After new TV contracts start, they could pay each player on the 85 man roster $435,000/year or pay about 500 student-athletes in all sports $74,000/year and still have more TV money left in the bank than ACC and Big12 teams get from their TV contracts.

Last edited:

Schools are already putting the wheels in motion to combat possible donation loss.

Some of the SEC schools are pricing out the little guy and tying huge increases of "donation" money to season tickets.

Donate $5K to $10K per seat in order to buy your $800 season ticket.

The handful of big money boosters are still doing the heavy lifting regarding NIL. Even their regular Joe fans aren't paying monthly subscriptions to fund NIL. They might buy the NIL merch players push on social media, but they aren't making blind donations.

Schools are already putting the wheels in motion to combat possible donation loss.

Some of the SEC schools are pricing out the little guy and tying huge increases of "donation" money to season tickets.

Donate $5K to $10K per seat in order to buy your $800 season ticket.

The handful of big money boosters are still doing the heavy lifting regarding NIL. Even their regular Joe fans aren't paying monthly subscriptions to fund NIL. They might buy the NIL merch players push on social media, but they aren't making blind donations.

I agree. I think its asking a lot to expect Average Joes to directly pay 18-23 year old football players. You absolutely need whales to pay these kids. It has to be like 75% whale 25% average Joes.

It people can tithe 10 percent to church then they need to donate to Pitt football. If a bunch of unemployed people can donate grassroots to Bernie sanders, they can donate to Pitt football. We just need to unite folks.

There are teams spending $80K for big recruiting weekends. When you’re spending $5k for a Top 100 recruit to visit some schools host 100+ kids for these marquee games.

Reactions: TD_6082
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT