ADVERTISEMENT

So, Pitt is favored by 5 points??

And yet... MSU is ranked ahead of Pitt.

What are people voting on? Not the best team apparently. If we are favored to win in a neutral site. DOESNT THAT MEAN WE ARE THOUGHT TO BE THE BETTER TEAM? Just as a ranking measure, that means we should be higher ranked than MSU.

Voters?
that is the only example you found?...you know that is not how ranking works....Cincy would be out of the playoff and ranked about 8-12 if we went with your bookie model of ranking...

What are people voting on? Not the best team apparently. If we are favored to win in a neutral site. DOESNT THAT MEAN WE ARE THOUGHT TO BE THE BETTER TEAM? Just as a ranking measure, that means we should be higher ranked than MSU.

Voters?
Some voters go based on how they think the team did over the course of the year, which is different than which team is hotter right now. I could see the argument for Michigan State as a stronger resume with the same record, but Pitt more likely to win.

that is the only example you found?...you know that is not how ranking works....Cincy would be out of the playoff and ranked about 8-12 if we went with your bookie model of ranking...

I dont understand. How is it a bookie model? I assume ranking is what teams are the best?

What is ranking then to you?

Polls are meaningless when tried to use as a gauge of relative strength of teams. We are a better team than MSU in every way and the matchup favors us tremendously.

Polls are meaningless when tried to use as a gauge of relative strength of teams. We are a better team than MSU in every way and the matchup favors us tremendously.

Yes, I agree.

Therefore, we should ranked higher.

I know they are meaningless. But, people still point to it over and over. In fact the bowl committee said the matchups were based on the poll/rankings. Dont get me wrong, the only other team I would rather play more than MSU would be Iowa. Iowa is a sure win, MSU is just a pretty solid chance of a win.

Voters?
Obviously a big 10 bias, heisman the same way

Voters?
They debated this on ESPN this weekend. How if say Alabama would be favored over Michigan how could Michigan be ahead of them. Obviously you’re right to a point. I mean if you’re a 9-3 Alabama team I wouldn’t rank you over a 12-0 team like Cincy even though you’d be favored in a neutral site

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT