ADVERTISEMENT

So the Rooneys want to host a Super Bowl

Agreed. People think it's all about the actual game being in a controlled environment. While that's a factor, you don't understand just how much there is to do at a Super Bowl besides the game.

All the parties have to be inside in the north. All of the fan zone activities have to be inside. All of the city-specific sightseeing has to be inside. NYC wasn't bad for this because of the entertainment, other sporting events, and museums. I know Pittsburgh isn't NYC, but what would you want to do for an ideal week in Pittsburgh. Strip District, South Side, some water-related event like kayaking, incline and walk around Mt. Washington, etc. All of those are a PITA or impossible to do in February but great times in the summer. Sign us up for the MLB All-Star game or even the NHL, people are expecting cold for that.

To top it all off, even if the weather is immaculate, Heinz isn't very nice.
Outside of Miami, Tampa, Arizona and San Diego(who hasn't had a Super Bowls in years) events are held inside.

Pittsburgh, Chicago, New England, Kansas City, Washington DC and Philly will host Super Bowls in the next two decades, those owners have a lot of power and want the money a Super Bowl brings in.

Outside of Miami, Tampa, Arizona and San Diego(who hasn't had a Super Bowls in years) events are held inside.

Pittsburgh, Chicago, New England, Kansas City, Washington DC and Philly will host Super Bowls in the next two decades, those owners have a lot of power and want the money a Super Bowl brings in.
That's why only Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Arizona, San Diego, San Francisco, and LA (when they get a team) should be eligible. I'll throw in NYC, Chicago, and London (eventually) because they are world-class cities that can host these types of events regardless of whether.

The lack of hotel space in Metro Pittsburgh has proven to be a fiancial opportunity for many. The PAC just announced a 10 story hotel in Oakland and a friend of mine moved here from NJ several years ago and does nothing but design hotels.
I'm late to this thread, but whatever happened to the Ritz being built at the top of Mt. Washington by the incline? It seems I read a LOT about this and then.....nothing.

The T to Oakland would be fantastic, you'd think with the 20 hositals in Oakland and half the students commuting, it would be a no brainer but I guess not. Think there was a study done on extending the T up to Cranberry.. Cost estimates were ridiculous.. Would make much more sense going east.. Being a South Hills resident, having the T is fantastic.. Can go from Downtown to South Park/Library in under 25 minutes.. Riding the bus is miserable..
Half the students commuting? Wow - you are about 10 years wrong on that. Maybe even more than 10.

I'm late to this thread, but whatever happened to the Ritz being built at the top of Mt. Washington by the incline? It seems I read a LOT about this and then.....nothing.
Not a chance.....current residents didn't want their view blocked. Can't imagine a Ritz, Shiloh Inn & Redbeards within 2 blocks. I loved One Grandview (Post-Edge) when it was there. Upscale Northern Italian chow & that great view. I think the footprint is too small for a big bldg, unless you go vertical. Probable best use would be a classy restaurant...again....since there's nothing with a view at that end of Grandview.

Just jumping in this thread too...

Rooneys=FIFA. If Qatar can get the World Cup, Pgh will get the Super Bowl. The thought of both is ridiculous. But no doubt the Rooney's don't give a rats behind about the city, they have their own reasons.

And the NFC team practicing at RMU? Would that be at the Sewell Center, Walton Stadium or the Neville Island bubble? None are even close to acceptable.

Just jumping in this thread too...

Rooneys=FIFA. If Qatar can get the World Cup, Pgh will get the Super Bowl. The thought of both is ridiculous. But no doubt the Rooney's don't give a rats behind about the city, they have their own reasons.

And the NFC team practicing at RMU? Would that be at the Sewell Center, Walton Stadium or the Neville Island bubble? None are even close to acceptable.
They'd most likely put a temporary bubble up at Walton Stadium or maybe they put a bubble up on the grounds of the Pens practice facility.

I definitely am hoping the Rooneys lobby for a new stadium in the next decade. That would be good news for Pitt, I think. If they build it in the suburbs, we could probably get a sweetheart deal to buy Heinz Field. We could then replace the yellow seats, and eliminate some seating to make it more cozy. However, the cost to buy Heinz plus the renovation fees together wouldn't be cheap. Easily more than $100 million. By this time though Temple will have a new on-campus stadium and the DC United MLS team will be playing in a new downtown stadium after the city paid $130 million to buy up land and buildings to knock down for them to build their stadium. Those 2 things (buying up expensive property to raze in DC's case and Temple getting a stadium) combined with the Steelers moving would put enough pressure on Pitt to build an on-campus stadium.

100M to get your own stadium, including the land, would be rather cheap I would think. It was close to 250M in 07 when Michigan had the luxury boxes put in. Invest a few bucks more to give it a college feel, and you guys would be happening.

Hopefully it transpires. Not just for you guys, but for the Steelers as well. They have been my 2nd fav FB team since 78.

On a side note, I got that electric FB game with Pitt/Dallas sometime after that SB, and other day ran across some of those players I still had.....so I looked online to see if that stuff is still carried. Got Damn.....Yes I said Got Damn.

HUGE money these days to buy that stuff. A rich mans hobby I guess. AH well, those were the days. :)

Love to see it. Pitt is tied to Heinz and that location. The Steelers might inevitably leave for the burbs but can't possibly see Pitt straying any further (it's argued ... BS or not ... too onerous a trip now for the students). How could Pitt follow the Steelers all the way to Washington County? Forget Sweet Caroline; the students would be leaving after the national anthem in panic to get back!

Oakland is not an option for our own place (please either repeat that a billion times, or s donate a billion dollars with a "campus stadium" stipulation). It's Heinz or bust for Pitt for a long time to come IMO. It may be called Pat Narduzzi Field at Gallagher Park at some point (heaven willing). But unless the Steelers would muscle their way to clear just-developed space on the NS for another adjacent replacement, Pitt WILL be in Heinz one way or another. Way past 2023. So if the Steelers WOULD secure a SB and that is still their stadium by then, at least it would guarantee continuous upgrades will be made up to then.
Just looking in as an outsider, what is wrong with Heinz Field other than it has a very bad field? It would seem to me that fixing the field with a state of the art turf field would solve that problem. What else is wrong with it?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT