ADVERTISEMENT

So What About Drumgoole

Fsgolfdr

Head Coach
Jan 6, 2012
So GD comes in and impresses the staff enough to win a starting role in the season opener , gets injured and when he comes back he looks totally overmatched in ACC play . Now I’m sure this fact is not lost on either himself or JC , but he chooses to stay . Obviously JC had to give him hope that he has a future at Pitt unlike the opinion of the majority of the pundits on this board . Was his injury more serious than reported and did that effect his play ? Can he come back stronger and quicker and hit from 3 ?
There’s probably no one that this off season means more to than DG , if he fails to improve he’ll be buried on the bench . Will be interesting to watch , hopefully we all underestimated him .

Reactions: Drew1208
So GD comes in and impresses the staff enough to win a starting role in the season opener , gets injured and when he comes back he looks totally overmatched in ACC play . Now I’m sure this fact is not lost on either himself or JC , but he chooses to stay . Obviously JC had to give him hope that he has a future at Pitt unlike the opinion of the majority of the pundits on this board . Was his injury more serious than reported and did that effect his play ? Can he come back stronger and quicker and hit from 3 ?
There’s probably no one that this off season means more to than DG , if he fails to improve he’ll be buried on the bench . Will be interesting to watch , hopefully we all underestimated him .
I’ve been saying exactly the beginning of your post. Capel thought enough of him to start him game 1 as a freshmen. An ACC game no less. Yet everyone here is convinced every player we have never seen play is better than him. Not so fast my friend.

Think the injury was definitely a factor in setting him back. He could've used some of the games in the OOC portion of the season vs some lesser size and speed to get in the work to adjust to college ball more gradually. When he did get back, Pitt was more in the deep end of ACC play. Seemed like the game was faster and the opponents bigger and quicker than Drum's game was calibrated for at that point. Not really unusual.

But he has good size and a solid frame. Maybe he needs to do some more work on his S & C? My experience says not to give up on a player after his true FR year. In a different time he might have even RS'd last year? But still think he can be an asset. The coming season will be an important one for him. Hopefully he can remain healthy. Then show he can be productive.

I don't know but Pitt seems on almost every recent transfer list seeming like even more attrition coming? Good God in the goose fat.

Too early to give up on him. Patience. Wanamaker reminds me of this. Not saying he'll become another Wanamaker but you never know.

I think GD came back too early from injury and was not the same player bc of it. He is still the same player who lit up Maryland in the secret scrimmage. Obviously, his play in the pre-season led to the start vs FSU. I am confident he will come back better than ever. My biggest concern for him is his weight and conditioning. He looked heavy at the end of the year and lacked explosion, which can be hindered when you have a lingering injury. I think he is the shooter with size we are overlooking. His play will be key in pushing to the middle of the pack in the ACC.

Yeah tough call. Injury really put him behind the curve this year. I still have my doubts, but am willing to see what he can do.

Drumgoole played a high level of competition in hs. This does not always mean something, however what he did do was impressive enough for Capel to bring him in. Let’s give him a chance, still a young kid with three years left.

Reactions: panther4life32
I was genuinely surprised by how unathletic Drumgoole looked this year, but I'm willing to give him a mulligan based on his injury and the resulting lack of conditioning. It's not a good idea to run off a kid from a school like La Lumiere, so I'm sure he'll be back and I hope he takes a big step forward.

I'm still extremely optimistic that he ends up a very good player. Count me in the camp that thinks the criticism is far too premature.

One other point regarding GD, he was football player until his junior year. His best basketball development is still ahead of him.

Reactions: Jeffburgh
I was genuinely surprised by how unathletic Drumgoole looked this year, but I'm willing to give him a mulligan based on his injury and the resulting lack of conditioning. It's not a good idea to run off a kid from a school like La Lumiere, so I'm sure he'll be back and I hope he takes a big step forward.
He looked much more explosive and athletic in terms of his body in high school. He looked like he had put on bad weight between high school and Pitt.

Reactions: below0w
He looked much more explosive and athletic in terms of his body in high school. He looked like he had put on bad weight between high school and Pitt.

Yeah, some guys are just athletic freaks who are explosive at any weight, but it makes sense that a kid who isn't in that tier would suffer a lot with a bad body. One of the good things about self isolation is that he has all the time in the world to work out.

Reactions: rockypanther
He was slow, in athletic, out of shape and his outside shot was cringe worthy. But as we’ve all learned, never give up on a young player.

let’s just hope he’s a completely different player next year

Yeah, some guys are just athletic freaks who are explosive at any weight, but it makes sense that a kid who isn't in that tier would suffer a lot with a bad body. One of the good things about self isolation is that he has all the time in the world to work out.
Lamar Patterson also came to Pitt in worse share the GD and totally transformed his body and became very good.

Lamar Patterson also came to Pitt in worse share the GD and totally transformed his body and became very good.
Agree. A lot of pitt players looked beyond hopeless early and turned into very good players.

I wanted to throw my tv thru the window watching Wanamaker play as a soph. He turned into one of my favorite players.

He was slow, in athletic, out of shape and his outside shot was cringe worthy. But as we’ve all learned, never give up on a young player.

let’s just hope he’s a completely different player next year

He needs to make shots. He couldn't even make free throws. Without a shot he's of no value to this team. Doubt he'll ever be a good defender or someone who can create. He should do nothing but shoot 3s all day everyday.

He needs to make shots. He couldn't even make free throws. Without a shot he's of no value to this team. Doubt he'll ever be a good defender or someone who can create. He should do nothing but shoot 3s all day everyday.

Yeah, his value hinges on his shooting.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
His stroke looks horrible too. Again, it’s early. But the opposite of a smooth stroke. Slow too.

Everyone says Murphy can’t get a shot off, which has some truth but you guys think he can? He’s zero threat driving, slow. He’s taller so that helps I guess.

Drumgoole will be fine. Injury set him back, but he played HS ball at a very high level. He'll end up being a nice 4 year player for us.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT