ADVERTISEMENT

So what does stallings have to do to convince you.....

He is on the right path?

Well first off, for me, I don’t want to hear “the record doesn’t matter.” If this team goes 1-17 or 0-18 in the ACC, that core is not developing enough to eventually be competitive in the ACC. If players like Stewart, Shamiel, kene, Davis, etc develop...then they will win at least a couple ACC games.

Also, assuming he gets a third year those recruits HAVE to show something next year. Right now there simply isn’t enough there, even if Stewart, kene, and Davis develop into ACC level players. He has to add pieces next year.

Record wise, to be here next year he needs to win at least 4 or 5 ACC games. Next year, NIT with 6-8 ACC wins. Fourth year tournament. Outside of that he has to go.

Those are my expectations for stallings to stay. The bar really isn’t that high. I simply don’t think he will even come close.

1. Improve Recruiting.
2. A Lot.
3. Grow a full, thick head of hair. (Or buy a nice toupee)

Reactions: levance2
He’s getting a third year unless he goes winless in the ACC and Carr and Stevenson announce their intentions to transfer. Even then I’m not certain he would be fired. In order to get a fourth year he desperately needs to land an impactful big or two by any means necessary. I’m hopeful that one of Peace or Terrell can step up but they can’t be counted on at this point. As DT suggested grad transfer may be the way to go. I actually think Carr, Kingsby, Ellison, Stewart, Davis, Frame and Stevenson is a decent core of guards and wings for next year but they will be helpless minus Luther in the frountcourt as currently constructed. Kingsby is an upgrade over Milligan. Ellison is a excellent athlete but merely a decent basketball player. Hopefully Stallings can help him take a substantial step forward. I’d like to see 5 or 6 ACC wins next season with significant individual growth that provides genuine optimism that they can make the tourney in 2020.

He already has recruited better than Dixon given the short time he has been here. He only has one position left right now I think unless he over recruits and drops a few players. Definitely need a couple of bigs.
Says who?? Quantity doesn't matter...only 5 guys on the court.

I'm pretty sure Kithcart and the other recruits were recruited by Jamie. If I
remember correctly, Stallings decided to keep them all. That was a "nice guy"
thing to do, but as a head coach who was recruiting at Vanderbuilt he surely must have known what these guys were like.
With all that said, he should have, IMO recruited another pg. On the other hand, even if he didn't...Artis as a pg was a very bad decision, and most of us here knew it. He
could have used Kithcart, Milligan (who as we have seen, has some skills), or Wilson
who Jamie used on occasion. The good part was any of these guys would have been
supported by a strong, experienced cadre of players.

Unfortunately, Kithcart and company are likely to prove better players than those Stallings replaced them with.

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
Unfortunately, Kithcart and company are likely to prove better players than those Stallings replaced them with.
Since that is your stance, and I am not trying to be an antagonist, would you please post from time to time how these former players are playing. I know it's hard to compare, but it would be interesting.

For Stallings to have a chance of staying at Pitt in my mind, first thing he has to do is recruit a couple of top 50 and top 100 guys immediately, not borderline top 150 or lower like he has now. Without that, regardless of anything else, he goes. He just isn't a good enough coach to be able to develop players to be a winning team that are ranked in the 200's.

Next, he needs to win at least 5 ACC games this year and get us to a record of at least 14 total wins. That's not even a winning record, so I'm cutting him some slack.

The year after, he needs to get us to total wins of 20+, an NIT bid minimum, and continued top 50 and top 100 guys being recruited and delivered. We have the facilities, the winning tradition, a great university and location, and a reputation. If he can't sell that, he should be gone.

It's not going to be easy for him to do this. But this is Pitt and I do have some higher expectations for this hoops program than just being a bottom dweller for a couple of years while Stallings collects a paycheck.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT