ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer Offside Rule Question

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
I thought that as long as you are behind the ball, you are onside no matter where the final defender is. In Barcelona’s match against Rayo Vallecano, a Lewandowski goal was cancelled because they ruled he was offside.

Rafinha had taken a long pass and got behind the defense. He was onside when the pass to him was made. He was pretty far out on the right and didn’t have a great angle. He squared it to Lewandowski who scored. At the time of the pass, Lewandowski was clearly beyond the last defender. But, he was behind Rafinha and the ball. The pass went slightly forward, but I didn’t think that mattered in that situation.

Without even going to VAR, the referee disallowed the goal and gave the offside signal, as did the linesman. I don’t understand why. My Spanish is terrible, but it appeared as though the announcers were debating the issue. But, Barcelona didn’t argue very much.

What am I missing about the rule?

I thought that as long as you are behind the ball, you are onside no matter where the final defender is. In Barcelona’s match against Rayo Vallecano, a Lewandowski goal was cancelled because they ruled he was offside.

Rafinha had taken a long pass and got behind the defense. He was onside when the pass to him was made. He was pretty far out on the right and didn’t have a great angle. He squared it to Lewandowski who scored. At the time of the pass, Lewandowski was clearly beyond the last defender. But, he was behind Rafinha and the ball. The pass went slightly forward, but I didn’t think that mattered in that situation.

Without even going to VAR, the referee disallowed the goal and gave the offside signal, as did the linesman. I don’t understand why. My Spanish is terrible, but it appeared as though the announcers were debating the issue. But, Barcelona didn’t argue very much.

Didn’t see the game but as far as I understand it you are correct.

You cannot come from an offside position to receive the ball.

There is an offensive player in front of the goalie. He is clearly in off sides position.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT