ADVERTISEMENT

VB: Demise of the double

pittdan77

Athletic Director
Jan 5, 2011
The Vast Wasteland of Central Pennsylvania
Not sure if it was mentioned on this board but the NCAA is planning to effectively get rid of double contact when setting. It would seem the AAU has informally adopted this concept because in two tournaments, I've only seen a double called three times. This past weekend it almost got to be kind of comical watching the rule get abused so badly.

I personally hate this change and what I saw this weekend confirms why. Girls were able to make sets that they never would have gotten away with before. It looked as clumsy and awkward as you can imagine, taking a ball that was basically at their chin and heaving it back over their head and to the side, ball spinning wildly on it's way to the hitter. Has almost taken away from the girls who can set well. No more bumps when you're running down a poor pass. Just heave it. No whistle.

Not sure how anyone else feels about this but it would kind of like letting pitchers throw spit balls or saying a WR was close enough on a ball he obviously dropped because he kind of held onto it for a second.

Reactions: latz66 and Fk_Pitt
my attitude is that an uncalled double usually takes care of it self and rarely gives the setter an advantage. Generally speaking if someone is doubling it usually results in a crappy set and a crappy set results in a crappy hit.

If someone is sending a ball over on the second or third contact and doubles and it results in some goofy topspin and gives the doubling team an unfair advantage, then I don’t like it

my attitude is that an uncalled double usually takes care of it self and rarely gives the setter an advantage. Generally speaking if someone is doubling it usually results in a crappy set and a crappy set results in a crappy hit.

If someone is sending a ball over on the second or third contact and doubles and it results in some goofy topspin and gives the doubling team an unfair advantage, then I don’t like it
They're still to call it when it gets sent over the net (they didn't all weekend) but I don't know that spin affects the hit. If anything, they might paintbrush it but those are sometimes difficult to handle. There really aren't as many out of system balls and that's an advantage to the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT