ADVERTISEMENT

Soccer should recruit internationally

gull point

Junior
Gold Member
Jul 8, 2003
Millsboro, Delaware
graduated from UNH a 100 years ago and follow them as well as PITT where my daughter graduated. They have had no history of a big soccer tradition like the ACC. Very quickly they have become a soccer power since they have began recruiting internationally. Currently ranked 19 pre season. Big difference from getting a vote. This year’s freshmen class has players from Ireland, Norway, Germany and Sweden. Whoops! And a recruit from Leola Pa snuck in there too. This would not be a long term build but could happen quickly.

Looks like they’re way ahead of you. The men’s soccer team shows players from England, Australia, Spain (x2), Senegal, Uganda, Brazil (x3), and Switzerland. The two best players on the men’s team are from Spain and Uganda.

The women’s roster shows players from Spain (x3), Canada (x2), New Zealand, and Germany.

Reactions: Chaos and bwh05
Looks like they’re way ahead of you. The men’s soccer team shows players from England, Australia, Spain (x2), Senegal, Uganda, Brazil (x3), and Switzerland. The two best players on the men’s team are from Spain and Uganda.

The women’s roster shows players from Spain (x3), Canada (x2), New Zealand, and Germany.
So little UNH recruits better than ACC PITT?

So little UNH recruits better than ACC PITT?
Pitt’s 2018 class was ranked #5 in the country (including a top-10 overall player in Virginia defender Chandler Vaughn) and the 2017 class brought in a top-50 overall player - Ugandan Edward Kizza who was named to the All-ACC freshman team last year. Considering Vidovich has only had two real recruiting classes since he’s gotten here, I’d say recruiting is going just fine.

Pitt’s 2018 class was ranked #5 in the country (including a top-10 overall player in Virginia defender Chandler Vaughn) and the 2017 class brought in a top-50 overall player - Ugandan Edward Kizza who was named to the All-ACC freshman team last year. Considering Vidovich has only had two real recruiting classes since he’s gotten here, I’d say recruiting is going just fine.

Yea, we're going to be very good in men's soccer very soon. If not this year, then next. UNH isn't out recruiting us anymore.

The women are going in the same direction, they're just a couple years behind.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Yea, we're going to be very good in men's soccer very soon. If not this year, then next. UNH isn't out recruiting us anymore.

Good, because they shouldn’t except for facilities on a beautiful spacious campus.

What’s unusual about the rankings is somehow Akron, western Michigan and Fordham all landed in the top 20 with Colgate and Dartmouth in the top 25. Reminds me of ice hockey where small schools are among the best often.

What’s unusual about the rankings is somehow Akron, western Michigan and Fordham all landed in the top 20 with Colgate and Dartmouth in the top 25. Reminds me of ice hockey where small schools are among the best often.

Akron is basically a blue blood in soccer. Think Gonzaga basketball but better.

Also, the Ivy League and Patriot League are pretty good for various reasons. Kinda like they are in lacrosse. Then you have various other programs who have really good programs that make you think WTF like Creighton, New Mexico, Saint Louis, Charlotte, etc. Basically it comes down to coaching and recruiting. If you invest in the right coach, you can get real good real quick.

And yes, Vidovich has and will continue to recruit internationally. He did bring over Javi Perez and Pol Planellas straight from Spain. Most of the other guys did a few years at Montverde.

Akron is basically a blue blood in soccer. Think Gonzaga basketball but better.

Also, the Ivy League and Patriot League are pretty good for various reasons. Kinda like they are in lacrosse. Then you have various other programs who have really good programs that make you think WTF like Creighton, New Mexico, Saint Louis, Charlotte, etc. Basically it comes down to coaching and recruiting. If you invest in the right coach, you can get real good real quick.

And yes, Vidovich has and will continue to recruit internationally. He did bring over Javi Perez and Pol Planellas straight from Spain. Most of the other guys did a few years at Montverde.

I'm in Maryland, and while UMBC being the 1st #16 seed to win in hoops was a shock, in soccer UMBC winning is no surprise, they made the Final of the NCAAT two years ago, losing to VA 1-0. Also, Maryland Terps are very good too. Then again, soccer is a very popular kids sport in MD, so I'm sure it's a better recruiting ground than many states.

I'm in Maryland, and while UMBC being the 1st #16 seed to win in hoops was a shock, in soccer UMBC winning is no surprise, they made the Final of the NCAAT two years ago, losing to VA 1-0. Also, Maryland Terps are very good too. Then again, soccer is a very popular kids sport in MD, so I'm sure it's a better recruiting ground than many states.
A recent internet poll (for whatever that’s worth) has UMBC and Akron is two of the top 10 places to watch a college game.

Good, because they shouldn’t except for facilities on a beautiful spacious campus.
Women shouldn’t be recruiting internationally, other than canada. They are only doing so right now because they need a quick fix due to the mess that the last staff left them with talent and $$$. They don’t have a lot of money to throw around to domestic recruits because the last staff over promised current players and going the international route allows them to circumvent things somehow.

The men’s staff does recruit internationally.

any relation to kamala?

A recent internet poll (for whatever that’s worth) has UMBC and Akron is two of the top 10 places to watch a college game.

I was actually planning on making the trip to Pitt @ Akron partly because of the gameday atmosphere but its at 7PM, the same time as the Pitt/Albany game is ending and they haven't invented the teleporter yet. Well, the Big 12 almost down. Remember The Dude reported that all Big 12 travel was free.

UMBC has a nice stadium, I think it seats about 3000. They used to have a USL team that played there, Crystal Palace Baltimore, was sponsored by the English team, lasted about a year in the early 2000s. I wasn't much into soccer then, which is too bad as I live 5 minutes from there.

I was actually planning on making the trip to Pitt @ Akron partly because of the gameday atmosphere but its at 7PM, the same time as the Pitt/Albany game is ending and they haven't invented the teleporter yet. Well, the Big 12 almost down. Remember The Dude reported that all Big 12 travel was free.
The Pitt/Akron soccer game actually seem more interesting than Pitt/Albany football.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Don’t know if I shared this, my youngest daughter committed to Akron. She had Pitt and Akron as her final two but made the decision to go to Akron based on a feeling. Hope she made the right choice.

Don’t know if I shared this, my youngest daughter committed to Akron. She had Pitt and Akron as her final two but made the decision to go to Akron based on a feeling. Hope she made the right choice.
Hmmm? So you're one of those parents "Slick Manager of Champions" was talking about, the alumni who won't make their kids go to Pitt! LOL.

Honestly, I don't care, just messing with you.

Hmmm? So you're one of those parents "Slick Manager of Champions" was talking about, the alumni who won't make their kids go to Pitt! LOL.

Honestly, I don't care, just messing with you.
Would have been really cool. But a lot goes into decisions. You don’t realize until you’re in that situation. I think a lot of people like us, a strong pitt family, would have jumped at the opportunity. But having a kid already playing in college gives us a clearer perspective. That daughter would have thrived at Pitt. I have no doubts. But she was never presented with that opportunity unfortunately. But with this daughter, we weren’t sure it was the best fit for her. But trust me, going through the process has given me the confidence and belief in this coaching staff and athletic dept. good things are happening. They are top notch. Great people. Great coaches. Great administrators.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT