ADVERTISEMENT

Softball. New season, Same Old Story

mike412

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jul 1, 2001
Santa Monica, CA
Considering the performance of this team last year under Hermanek, it was clear that what was most needed was a major influx of talent on the mound. The number of mercy rule games they lost last season was embarrassing and there was not one effective pitcher on the staff.

Looking at the roster, it doesn’t look like Hermanek did much, if anything, to address that situation. Of the 6 freshmen joining the team, only one is listed as a pitcher and she is listed as a 1B/P. The only pitching stat listed in her biography is from her sophomore HS year. Perhaps she is the pitcher Bethlehem John has been talking about who has been lights out on the club team circuit, but if so, Hermanek isn’t advertising it.

In the past few weeks, she did add a graduate transfer who pitched at FIU and then for a year at South Carolina’s Beaufort campus. Based on her statistics, she doesn’t look like she will be successful in the ACC.

The fact is they aren’t going to get to the level of even being competitive in the ACC without a top pitching staff. Clemson, in its first year playing in the ACC, knew that and signed 8 scholarship pitchers in the two years preceding the start of the program. They went to the NCAAs in their first year, largely on the strength of that pitching which included a freshman All-American.

If Kendall Brown, the freshman, turns out to be an ace, they might be decent this year. Otherwise we are in for another year of mercy rule losses.

Next to extending Jeff Capel, letting Holly leave and hiring Hermanek probably has been Lyke’s biggest mistake. While she has been rightfully credited with the success of some of our minor sports programs, let’s not forget that I don’t believe she hired Dan Fisher, Jay Vidovich or Randy Waldrum. Capel, Hermanek and Gavin hardly have been home runs. Her major successes with the minor sports have been improving facilities and funding and keeping Fisher, Vukovich and Waldrum here.

I played fast pitch softball for 15 years and have followed it for more than 40, including the last 25 when Pitt has had a team. I was very excited about the future of the program when Holly was here. Now, I’m more looking forward to watching the new lacrosse team.

Heather hired Waldrum, just fyi.

I did see that softball just opened an indoor practice facility this spring. I didn’t realize that they didn’t have one before - I guess they shared with baseball during the winter? Seems like a good situation for both sports to get separate indoor facilities.

Wasn’t the team pretty good a few years ago? Sounds like they’ve fallen off a cliff. What happened?

Heather hired Waldrum, just fyi.

I did see that softball just opened an indoor practice facility this spring. I didn’t realize that they didn’t have one before - I guess they shared with baseball during the winter? Seems like a good situation for both sports to get separate indoor facilities.

Waldrum was a good hire and has greatly improved the soccer team but they are still quite a ways from an NCAAT caliber team. And besides him, her hires haven't been good. Gavin has been ok but has just elevated the program back to where it was under Stottlemeyer.

She didn't hire Fisher, Vidovich, and Narduzzi. And both basketball programs and softball look like a disaster. I dont understand why everyone thinks she is doing this great job.

Reactions: A.Donald and gary2
The Coach who built the team, Holly Aprile, apparently was forced out by Lyke and went to Louisville. The precise story hasn’t been made public. The team has been bad since she left.

I was talking to someone who knew a player that said everyone hated the coach or something like that but I can't remember if it was April or Hermank. For some reason, I think it was Hermanek but I could be wrong

Waldrum was a good hire and has greatly improved the soccer team but they are still quite a ways from an NCAAT caliber team.

What are you talking about? The top eight teams in the ACC made the NCAA tournament and Pitt finished ninth. While playing much of the season without their best player.

Gavin has been ok but has just elevated the program back to where it was under Stottlemeyer.

Yeah, if he'd have been any good Pitt would have had their best finish since 1970 at the NCAA tournament last year.

Wait a second...

Reactions: HOF Coach
I was talking to someone who knew a player that said everyone hated the coach or something like that but I can't remember if it was April or Hermank. For some reason, I think it was Hermanek but I could be wrong
It would almost have to be Hermanek. They have had a bunch of players transfer since she arrived. Holly took them to a preseason tournament in Southern California every year and I went to see three of them. She and the players seemed very tight. I’m very surprised Louisville hasn’t been better under Holly.

It would almost have to be Hermanek. They have had a bunch of players transfer since she arrived. Holly took them to a preseason tournament in Southern California every year and I went to see three of them. She and the players seemed very tight. I’m very surprised Louisville hasn’t been better under Holly.
I am pretty sure it was Hermanek. Probably 90% sure.

Reactions: A.Donald
Waldrum was a good hire and has greatly improved the soccer team but they are still quite a ways from an NCAAT caliber team. And besides him, her hires haven't been good. Gavin has been ok but has just elevated the program back to where it was under Stottlemeyer.

She didn't hire Fisher, Vidovich, and Narduzzi. And both basketball programs and softball look like a disaster. I dont understand why everyone thinks she is doing this great job.
People think she’s doing a great job because this is literally the strongest the athletic department has ever been top bottom in my entire lifetime (so at least 36 years). I don’t think that’s a particularly complicated concept to grasp.

People think she’s doing a great job because this is literally the strongest the athletic department has ever been top bottom in my entire lifetime (so at least 36 years). I don’t think that’s a particularly complicated concept to grasp.

Because:

- she inherited Vidovich, Fisher, and Narduzzi. To her credit, she kept them happy.

- her Waldrum hire took soccer from horrible to NCAA bubblish type. So, yes, good hire.

Considering the performance of this team last year under Hermanek, it was clear that what was most needed was a major influx of talent on the mound. The number of mercy rule games they lost last season was embarrassing and there was not one effective pitcher on the staff.

Looking at the roster, it doesn’t look like Hermanek did much, if anything, to address that situation. Of the 6 freshmen joining the team, only one is listed as a pitcher and she is listed as a 1B/P. The only pitching stat listed in her biography is from her sophomore HS year. Perhaps she is the pitcher Bethlehem John has been talking about who has been lights out on the club team circuit, but if so, Hermanek isn’t advertising it.

In the past few weeks, she did add a graduate transfer who pitched at FIU and then for a year at South Carolina’s Beaufort campus. Based on her statistics, she doesn’t look like she will be successful in the ACC.

The fact is they aren’t going to get to the level of even being competitive in the ACC without a top pitching staff. Clemson, in its first year playing in the ACC, knew that and signed 8 scholarship pitchers in the two years preceding the start of the program. They went to the NCAAs in their first year, largely on the strength of that pitching which included a freshman All-American.

If Kendall Brown, the freshman, turns out to be an ace, they might be decent this year. Otherwise we are in for another year of mercy rule losses.

Next to extending Jeff Capel, letting Holly leave and hiring Hermanek probably has been Lyke’s biggest mistake. While she has been rightfully credited with the success of some of our minor sports programs, let’s not forget that I don’t believe she hired Dan Fisher, Jay Vidovich or Randy Waldrum. Capel, Hermanek and Gavin hardly have been home runs. Her major successes with the minor sports have been improving facilities and funding and keeping Fisher, Vukovich and Waldrum here.

I played fast pitch softball for 15 years and have followed it for more than 40, including the last 25 when Pitt has had a team. I was very excited about the future of the program when Holly was here. Now, I’m more looking forward to watching the new lacrosse team.
She did though. She brought in a very good transfer pitcher and also Maya Johnson as a Frosh. This was actually a pretty good class IMO, plus Drogenmiller seems like she has taken a big step too. We’ll see soon enough, but I think this team will be much better than the last 2 seasons.

Nobody liked April, she was petty tough on the players.

Nobody liked April, she was petty tough on the players.
  1. fd5878a29b49fc9a770fedd411def5c5
    Ice Tex
    February 8, 2022 at 9:09 am
    Pitt’s AD has a certain type of person she looks for in hires. She validates her philosophy every rare time she speaks with the public concerning votes of confidence or contract extensions.
    These desired individual traits can be categorized as interpersonal. Now I won’t argue they aren’t important but I will disagree with the approach.
    What are the primary responsibilities of a coach?
    In no particular order, recruiting, managing and hiring staff, developing players, establishing a culture, discipline, compliance, media relations, game day coaching, etc
    I just have never heard or read pitt’s AD saying that’s she’s confident or granting extensions because of the great game day coaching or the great recruiting or the assembly of a great staff. To our AD it seems to be more about player and coach relationships. Creating harmony and wins should follow.
    Interested in what others think.
    Liked by 1 person

She did though. She brought in a very good transfer pitcher and also Maya Johnson as a Frosh. This was actually a pretty good class IMO, plus Drogenmiller seems like she has taken a big step too. We’ll see soon enough, but I think this team will be much better than the last 2 seasons.
Is Maya Johnson the pitcher you were so high on? The reason I ask is that she was announced as an incoming freshman in press releases last year, but isn’t listed on the roster and isn’t included in the latest press release about the incoming freshmen.

Well let’s face it, it’s not a high bar around here tbh. Merely being competent for us makes you look like a Jedi master. And I’ll also add we’re spending more money than we ever have by a loooong distance on all sports so we should be better. Gallagher is who we all need to thank for more resources because we’re still operating heavily in the red.

Because:

- she inherited Vidovich, Fisher, and Narduzzi. To her credit, she kept them happy.

- her Waldrum hire took soccer from horrible to NCAA bubblish type. So, yes, good hire.
And she’s clearly a competent enough AD to be able to retain coaches, include an elite WVB coach that was being courted by a Big 10 school.

Trying to minimize her success as AD is silly.

Is Maya Johnson the pitcher you were so high on? The reason I ask is that she was announced as an incoming freshman in press releases last year, but isn’t listed on the roster and isn’t included in the latest press release about the incoming freshmen.
Yeah, she was. I have to find out what happened because I really expected big things from her.

Looks like we lost the opener 1-0 to Michigan State. About to start game 2 vs Akron.

Maya Johnson was a talent, but a head case. When things went well for her, she was great. When things didn’t go her way, she blamed everyone else but herself. Maya left her travel team and then left Pitt after a semester. None of the girls liked her because she was never at fault. Likely going to St Joe’s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT