ADVERTISEMENT

Some hard cold facts for fans of the Pitt football program...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
- For those of you wanting to fire Pat Narduzzi, wake up. If you were to some how able to get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to coach Pitt, the result would be no different. The players that those two normally get, would not even give Pitt an opportunity.
- Heather Lyke has FAILED to address the #1 issue that the Pitt football program and the Pitt athletic department faces...the lack of a home field. Those stupid yellow seats at heinz field makes the lack of fans attending each home game, a huge problem. There are no elite recruits that will want to commit to the Pitt program when the school itself, doesn't seem interested in making a commitment to the football program. Until she addresses this issue, in my opinion, she will have failed to do her job.
- The University of Pittsburgh might as well hire bob nutting to be the AD. They appear to have taken the same "small market approach" that the Pirates have taken. Spend a minimal amount of money to make it look to the public that you want to win, but never fully commit to do the things that will make the program successful.
- Heather Lyke and the ACC did a piss poor job of getting the ACCN up and running in the Pittsburgh area. Nothing should have been signed by any one until all of the ACC teams had an agreement in place to make certain the ACCN would be available to ALL of the local markets.
- I've actually had the "pleasure" to sit through a couple of coaching visits (my nephew is a pretty talented senior football player in the SW Pennsylvania area) and at each of the visits, the visiting coaches pointed out the lack of attendance at the home games.
- Lastly, Pat Narrduzzi, in my opinion, has done a nice job at Pitt. While he is not perfect, I do believe that he truly cares about the Pitt football program. I love the passion he has for the program and believe that he will achieve the success that we all would like to see the Pitt football if Heather Lyke gets off of her rear end and address the #1 issue.
-H2P.

Heather Luke gets off her ass!
Really? It is that easy?
Maybe you just landed on Earth so let me clue you in a few earthly realities.
1. Money doesn't grow on trees
2. They don't make new land
3. A new stadium requires about 300-400 million in land aquisition and construction costs.
4. Pitt is despised by the city Political machine.
5. Being a nice guy and caring doesn't make a good or successful coach. Plus, he is paid handsomely.
6. Other coaches use lack of attendance against Pitt! Really? I never imagined.
7. Whatever Heather Lyke is, Lazy is not one of them.
8. Mediocre teams (and that is exactly what PN has been) do not create a rabid fanbase. Anyone see the empty seats in Palo Alto, State College and even Ann Arbor yesterday? ND can't sell out and as a road draw the bloom is off the rose.

There are many realities of Pitt football. The OP has none of them.

- For those of you wanting to fire Pat Narduzzi, wake up. If you were to some how able to get Nick Saban or Urban Meyer to coach Pitt, the result would be no different. The players that those two normally get, would not even give Pitt an opportunity.
- Heather Lyke has FAILED to address the #1 issue that the Pitt football program and the Pitt athletic department faces...the lack of a home field. Those stupid yellow seats at heinz field makes the lack of fans attending each home game, a huge problem. There are no elite recruits that will want to commit to the Pitt program when the school itself, doesn't seem interested in making a commitment to the football program. Until she addresses this issue, in my opinion, she will have failed to do her job.
- The University of Pittsburgh might as well hire bob nutting to be the AD. They appear to have taken the same "small market approach" that the Pirates have taken. Spend a minimal amount of money to make it look to the public that you want to win, but never fully commit to do the things that will make the program successful.
- Heather Lyke and the ACC did a piss poor job of getting the ACCN up and running in the Pittsburgh area. Nothing should have been signed by any one until all of the ACC teams had an agreement in place to make certain the ACCN would be available to ALL of the local markets.
- I've actually had the "pleasure" to sit through a couple of coaching visits (my nephew is a pretty talented senior football player in the SW Pennsylvania area) and at each of the visits, the visiting coaches pointed out the lack of attendance at the home games.
- Lastly, Pat Narrduzzi, in my opinion, has done a nice job at Pitt. While he is not perfect, I do believe that he truly cares about the Pitt football program. I love the passion he has for the program and believe that he will achieve the success that we all would like to see the Pitt football if Heather Lyke gets off of her rear end and address the #1 issue.
-H2P.
Heather Lyke is the best thing that has happened to Pitt Athletics in the past 35 years. A breath of fresh air. Pitt is fortunate to have Heather and Pat. Hopefully, no one in a leadership and decision making position listens to people like you who have no idea what they are talking about.

Heather Lyke is the best thing that has happened to Pitt Athletics in the past 35 years. A breath of fresh air. Pitt is fortunate to have Heather and Pat. Hopefully, no one in a leadership and decision making position listens to people like you who have no idea what they are talking about.
Heather Lyke is a rock star, the same way Jamie Dixon was circa 2009.

There are problems with this program and it runs deep. I had visitors in from out of town yesterday and we showed them all around the city. We popped in and out of establishments from Shadyside, to the Strip District, to Market Square. In some of the establishments, the Pitt game wasn’t even on. And in all of the others, the other games were featured more prominently. Part of it may have been the ACC Network problem which I suppose if you really wanted to you could throw some blame at Lyke. If the OP and others want to do that knock yourself out. But the main problem runs way deeper than Heather Lyke.

Really? It is that easy?
3. A new stadium requires about 300-400 million in land aquisition and construction costs.
5. Being a nice guy and caring doesn't make a good or successful coach. Plus, he is paid handsomely.
8. Mediocre teams (and that is exactly what PN has been) do not create a rabid fanbase. Anyone see the empty seats in Palo Alto, State College and even Ann Arbor yesterday? ND can't sell out and as a road draw the bloom is off the rose.

Thank you Saboteur, spot on post!!! As we all know, Pitt didn't draw any better when they played in Oakland, unless the team was among the elite. Sure, a new stadium on campus would be nice, but would hardly be a panacea for our issues. Understandably, the city is not crazy about seeing land taken off of the tax rolls. It's like pulling teeth for Pitt to acquire half a block to build obviously beneficial things like dorms, classrooms, and research space. Do you think the city is going to want to see a swath of tax producing land taken off the tax rolls for something that provides little real benefit for the city, and will have substantial use maybe 14-15 times a year? If you stick it down along Second Ave., you basically lose the on campus feel. No one is going to want to walk there, it won't be much better than being on the North Side.
It's a hard road for these big city schools to be much more than what Pitt is. Look at how Miami is struggling, despite the motherlode of talent in their backyard. Look at UCLA, which is usually on the same level as Pitt. Hell, even USC, with their awesome tradition. Other than that short run under Pete Carroll (when they were cheating like crazy), their record over the last 35 years looks a lot like Pitt's. Pitt football is fourth on the local totem pole, and it's performance, and support reflects that.
1. Steelers
2/3. Pirates/Penguins Pens are flying high now, but I remember the empty seats right before Sid came.
4. Pitt football
5. Nits football
6. Pitt hoops
7. Hoopie football
8. Duquesne hoops
9. Riverhounds

Reactions: Saboteur
-H2P.

I couldn't disagree more with 99% of what you posted. Practically everything you posted is incorrect, misguided and shows how uninformed you are about the Pitt football program and its history. But you have the right to be dead wrong, so knock yourself out.

Really? It is that easy?

Spot on post. It's unbelievable how wrong the OP was on practically every word written, possibly the whole thing. That's 2 minutes of my time I can't get back.

Thank you Saboteur, spot on post!!! As we all know, Pitt didn't draw any better when they played in Oakland, unless the team was among the elite. Sure, a new stadium on campus would be nice, but would hardly be a panacea for our issues. Understandably, the city is not crazy about seeing land taken off of the tax rolls. It's like pulling teeth for Pitt to acquire half a block to build obviously beneficial things like dorms, classrooms, and research space. Do you think the city is going to want to see a swath of tax producing land taken off the tax rolls for something that provides little real benefit for the city, and will have substantial use maybe 14-15 times a year? If you stick it down along Second Ave., you basically lose the on campus feel. No one is going to want to walk there, it won't be much better than being on the North Side.
It's a hard road for these big city schools to be much more than what Pitt is. Look at how Miami is struggling, despite the motherlode of talent in their backyard. Look at UCLA, which is usually on the same level as Pitt. Hell, even USC, with their awesome tradition. Other than that short run under Pete Carroll (when they were cheating like crazy), their record over the last 35 years looks a lot like Pitt's. Pitt football is fourth on the local totem pole, and it's performance, and support reflects that.
1. Steelers
2/3. Pirates/Penguins Pens are flying high now, but I remember the empty seats right before Sid came.
4. Pitt football
5. Nits football
6. Pitt hoops
7. Hoopie football
8. Duquesne hoops
9. Riverhounds

You believe Pitt football is higher than PSU football in Pittsburgh?

I'm amazed that the OP actually called what was written as "facts". Not one word was factual! All misinformed, empty opinions based on nothing.

Look, no one thinks that having a nice on campus stadium wouldn't be a nice thing for Pitt. If I was a filthy rich dictator with total power, I might raze everything between Craft and McKee, relocate Magee over near the other hospitals, and put the new stadium on the cleared land, and I would pay for it. Since none of this is reality, it will remain in the world of fantasy, along with all of the other stadium dreams.

Reactions: ThePanthers
hmmm. I don’t live in Pittsburgh so I will have to take your word for it
It depends on your definition of "Pittsburgh". In Allegheny County, it's clearly Pitt. I'd say Pitt's territory extends into the bordering counties out to their county seats. Obviously when you go west, you cross over into WV, and Ohio, and south of Washington, you begin to get into WVU territory. Otherwise, I think that once your get past those county seats (Greensburg, Butler etc.) you really begin to enter Nitter territory. This is especially true as you head east.

Reactions: pittman71
It depends on your definition of "Pittsburgh". In Allegheny County, it's clearly Pitt. I'd say Pitt's territory extends into the bordering counties out to their county seats. Obviously when you go west, you cross over into WV, and Ohio, and south of Washington, you begin to get into WVU territory. Otherwise, I think that once your get past those county seats (Greensburg, Butler etc.) you really begin to enter Nitter territory. This is especially true as you head east.

I was in Erie over the weekend and was disgusted with how many people I saw wearing PSU stuff, havent really seen that for years and forgot how much I dislike those people.

Sitting at Heinz yesterday freezing my butt off watching the same sloppy, heartless display I saw Week 1 against UVA, I thought wow...so glad Pitt can just walk away from football in 10-20 years rather than be stuck with a half a billion dollars stadium plopped in the middle of its campus. In two decades debt ridden millennial alumni will not be filling up an on campus stadium to watch a sport they won’t even allow their own children to play. College football is a joke for all but 25 big money programs...no need for Pitt to waste hundreds of millions of dollars pretending to be anything other than the mediocre afterthought program that it is.

-H2P.
Listen - attendance has absolutely nothing to do with poor play calling and bad game management. Lyke's first job is to hire the very best leaders that can be hired. Narduzzi is a really nice guy, but he is not an excellent leader of the flagship program of the University of Pittsburgh.

Reactions: brickfhouse
I was in Erie over the weekend and was disgusted with how many people I saw wearing PSU stuff, havent really seen that for years and forgot how much I dislike those people.

PissU has a large branch campus (more of a community college) in the Erie area, so of course they'd have a bunch of losers wearing their stuff.

I think ups gives the nitter faithful a reason to wear the gear. Pitt.... not so much.

Sitting at Heinz yesterday freezing my butt off watching the same sloppy, heartless display I saw Week 1 against UVA, I thought wow...so glad Pitt can just walk away from football in 10-20 years rather than be stuck with a half a billion dollars stadium plopped in the middle of its campus. In two decades debt ridden millennial alumni will not be filling up an on campus stadium to watch a sport they won’t even allow their own children to play. College football is a joke for all but 25 big money programs...no need for Pitt to waste hundreds of millions of dollars pretending to be anything other than the mediocre afterthought program that it is.
There is some truth in this

OP is a troll. ALWAYS HAS BEEN. Going on ignore.
Not a troll at all, two degrees from the University of Pittsburgh to support that. Of course, your response has become typical from any one who dares to criticize Heather Lyke and the higher ups at Pitt.
Like it or not, Pitt needs its own football stadium. Not one shared with another sports team, it's OWN. It doesn't need to have 70.000 seats, 45,000 would be plenty for the Pitt fan base. When Pitt plays the ND's, WVU's or psu's, it becomes first come first serve for season tickets and the remaining seat that would be available to the general public.
I will not deny that Heather Lyke has done a nice job of taking care of the "Olympic" sports at Pitt. Unfortunately, as we all know, the big money for every D-I athletic department comes from the revenue generated by the school's football program. Whatever that amount is currently, it could be so much more with an increase in home attendance.
If you think small time, you will remain small time.

MrPups...I do agree with most of what you said. That being said, I would like to see Pitt attempt to improve the overall situation with the football program. We may never get back to the football program of the middle 1970's, but I'd sure like to see them try.
You are spot on with your comments about the "millennial alumni". Don't forget, this will be the same group of students that Pitt had to give a free drink and snack to remain at home games until they were over.
H2P!!

Reactions: MrPups
Really? It is that easy?

And I thought money grew on treees

My question is aimed at Pittsburgh the dysfunctional city.

Your pt. # 4.
If the politicians hate the University of Pittsburgh than Pittsburgh has a problem.
A really big problem.

This is what a city gets when they elect loser " hack" talentless politicians more concerned with giving money to people who don't deserve it, not offending anyone, and building bike paths rather than advancing an elite Univeristy, its academic and athletic programs.

-H2P.
STOP,Is this Pat?

Reactions: brickfhouse
Grim assessment. Unfortunately some legitimate factual basis for it.

Not a troll at all, two degrees from the University of Pittsburgh to support that. Of course, your response has become typical from any one who dares to criticize Heather Lyke and the higher ups at Pitt.
Like it or not, Pitt needs its own football stadium. Not one shared with another sports team, it's OWN. It doesn't need to have 70.000 seats, 45,000 would be plenty for the Pitt fan base. When Pitt plays the ND's, WVU's or psu's, it becomes first come first serve for season tickets and the remaining seat that would be available to the general public.
I will not deny that Heather Lyke has done a nice job of taking care of the "Olympic" sports at Pitt. Unfortunately, as we all know, the big money for every D-I athletic department comes from the revenue generated by the school's football program. Whatever that amount is currently, it could be so much more with an increase in home attendance.
If you think small time, you will remain small time.

2 degrees from Pitt and you don't understand basic facts????

Pitt's attendance will NEVER increase. An on-campus stadium will not improve that one bit. You obviously weren't around during the 70's and 80's when we were winning a bunch of games but getting 35,000 - 40,000 in the stands. It won't matter. An on-campus stadium is a pipe dream and a very stupid one.

But as I said, you have every right to believe in your fantasy and in a pipe dream. You also have every right to be stupid about this. Go for it.

MrPups...I do agree with most of what you said. That being said, I would like to see Pitt attempt to improve the overall situation with the football program. We may never get back to the football program of the middle 1970's, but I'd sure like to see them try.
You are spot on with your comments about the "millennial alumni". Don't forget, this will be the same group of students that Pitt had to give a free drink and snack to remain at home games until they were over.
H2P!!
I want Pitt to return to national prominence too...I just think our time window is way too narrow for an on campus stadium to solve our problems of apathy and despair. Even if Heather got in front of a podium on Monday and announced the building of an on campus stadium the place wouldn’t open before 2026. The first class of Pitt students to have spent four years watching football at the on campus stadium wouldn’t graduate until 2030. That means it’s 2050 before those Pitt students hit a peak age for donation to the program.

What do you think the state of college football will be in 2050? All the political issues swirling around college football (CTE, student debt relief, exploitation of minority amateur athletes) gives me deep doubts that educational institutions will support this spectacle other than in cases where the team is a bonafide money-making national brand.

Building an on campus stadium will not pay off the dividends of alumni enthusiasm soon enough to save Pitt from the reckoning that will soon be coming for college football.

I want Pitt to return to national prominence too...I just think our time window is way too narrow for an on campus stadium to solve our problems of apathy and despair. Even if Heather got in front of a podium on Monday and announced the building of an on campus stadium the place wouldn’t open before 2026. The first class of Pitt students to have spent four years watching football at the on campus stadium wouldn’t graduate until 2030. That means it’s 2050 before those Pitt students hit a peak age for donation to the program.

What do you think the state of college football will be in 2050? All the political issues swirling around college football (CTE, student debt relief, exploitation of minority amateur athletes) gives me deep doubts that educational institutions will support this spectacle other than in cases where the team is a bonafide money-making national brand.

Building an on campus stadium will not pay off the dividends of alumni enthusiasm soon enough to save Pitt from the reckoning that will soon be coming for college football.
How exactly do you foresee teams like Ohio State filling out a 12 game schedule if schools like Northwestern, Indiana, Rutgers, Pitt, Duke, Wake Forest, BC, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Kansas, Syracuse, Cal, Stanford, etc. get rid of football.

How exactly do you foresee teams like Ohio State filling out a 12 game schedule if schools like Northwestern, Indiana, Rutgers, Pitt, Duke, Wake Forest, BC, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Kansas, Syracuse, Cal, Stanford, etc. get rid of football.
How do the Steelers fill out a 16 game schedule with just 32 teams in the NFL? Do you think Buckeye fans will be saddened to have teams like Rutgers and Indiana replaced with Clemson or Oklahoma on their schedule?

Currently it makes financial sense for the Pitts and Vanderbilts and Northwesterns of the world to get that conference money and give the big boys the illusion that college football is still an affair of national interest. But as college football becomes a more regional red-state niche interest and its popularity erodes you will have less and less students at places like Pitt wanting their tuition dollars going to mediocre programs with no viable chance of bringing pride or success to their school. If they decide to shutter their programs I don't think the Ohio States and Clemons of the world will shed a tear,

Reactions: HailToPitt1985
How do the Steelers fill out a 16 game schedule with just 32 teams in the NFL? Do you think Buckeye fans will be saddened to have teams like Rutgers and Indiana replaced with Clemson or Oklahoma on their schedule?

Currently it makes financial sense for the Pitts and Vanderbilts and Northwesterns of the world to get that conference money and give the big boys the illusion that college football is still an affair of national interest. But as college football becomes a more regional red-state niche interest and its popularity erodes you will have less and less students at places like Pitt wanting their tuition dollars going to mediocre programs with no viable chance of bringing pride or success to their school. If they decide to shutter their programs I don't think the Ohio States and Clemons of the world will shed a tear,
So you think the players are going to play a 16 game schedule against high level competition, and then add in a few more games towards the playoffs. That would take it to almost 20 games adding in the conference championship and playoffs. Do you think the players want to play that many games, and do you think the NFL wants their potential prized possessions to endure that punishment as well?

Great post

Reactions: bubba31 and MrPups
So you think the players are going to play a 16 game schedule against high level competition, and then add in a few more games towards the playoffs. That would take it to almost 20 games adding in the conference championship and playoffs. Do you think the players want to play that many games, and do you think the NFL wants their potential prized possessions to endure that punishment as well?

No, quite the opposite. I'd expect a much shorter regular season with an expanded 16 team playoff. So Ohio State might play 2-3 non conference to start the season then have maybe 6 "divisional" games against regional rivals like Michigan, PSU Notre Dame etc. Then after about 10 regular season games it's playoff time. Less wear and tear on the players and more exposure/hype for future NFLers who will have a meaningful game of national interest nearly every week.

No, quite the opposite. I'd expect a much shorter regular season with an expanded 16 team playoff. So Ohio State might play 2-3 non conference to start the season then have maybe 6 "divisional" games against regional rivals like Michigan, PSU Notre Dame etc. Then after about 10 regular season games it's playoff time. Less wear and tear on the players and more exposure/hype for future NFLers who will have a meaningful game of national interest nearly every week.
So you think these schools are going to give up 2-3 home games a year? That is never going to happen.

Reactions: PittFamily2
Who knows, maybe they do eventually go to four 16 team super conferences. Would probably go to 16 team playoff and eliminate conference championship games.

The limited number of teams in super conferences has been discussed as a viable option a lot, and it makes total sense. These kids don't need to be playing 12 regular season games. Let them play 9 or 10, then a few playoff games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT