ADVERTISEMENT

Sacred Heart Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** It would seem to me that 11 games into the 2022-2023 campaign, and well into Capel’s fifth year as Head Coach, that for most of the most die-hard Pitt Hoops fans, the Panthers have become a tiresome, if not tedious exercise in perspective.

** Let’s start a game ago at Vanderbilt. On it’s own, a one point loss on the road against a fair SEC foe was not a terrible thing by any means. The Panthers didn’t play badly, and actually did plenty of win-worthy things among one-more-than-that loss-worthy things. If the Panthers didn’t need every possible win out of conference win we can get, or if we hadn’t lost to VCU, the Vandy loss wouldn’t feel quite so difficult.

** This evening, a 25-point win could be if not should be something to enjoy. This is especially true for a fan base who should likely savior every iota of success it can swallow.

** Yet an unhealthier dose of perspective reminds us that this was a Sacred Heart team ranked around #300 by Ken Pomeroy, or who lost by 38 to Rutgers after enduring a 21 point first half deficit.

** Lest we not forget that Sacred Heart only trailed by 5 at today’s half, and only 2 points at the 13:56 mark of second half.

** But should we put that into perspective knowing the Panthers only surrendered 12 more points in those final near 14 minutes while scoring 36 the same time frame?

** Quite frankly, I just don’t know anymore. And part of me is tired of tying to figure it out.

** This much I do know. I really enjoyed watching Federiko Federiko today. During both of his second half exits from the game today, I rose to my feet to applaud his energy and effort, if not his athleticism and plain old production.

** Sure, maybe it’s wiser to put perspective into Fede’s 17 point, 14 rebound, 3 assist, 3 block performance knowing that Sacred Heart didn’t have a single starter over 6-6, and only one other player taller than that at 6-8, and he logged a mere 18 minutes.

** To the positive, maybe one could compare Fede to his newly named understudy John, who was remarkably less effective in his 11 minutes. In fact, mostly he was pretty bad actually. Again.

** Plenty have tried to put Big John’s performances into perspective too, knowing that he’s still just getting into shape, or he’s shaking off rust, or is even struggling trying to fit into the Panthers new attack.

** I’m not going to try to dive into how much perspective is healthy for John. I just know at the moment that he’s not anywhere close to the same player he was last year.

** And while I hate to pile on John, I do want to point to three specific plays that I found extremely troubling. The first was in the first half when he tried to pass out of a simply trap a threw a really ridiculous pass over everything for a turnover. It was undisciplined and lackadaisical.

** Next, in the second half, right after he came in the game, John moved to the top of the key for a high ball screen. But before screening anything at all, he faded back for a roll into a spot where he really couldn’t receive anything. Setting a bad screen is nothing new, but one would hope after watching Fede set strong, effective screens followed by disciplined rolls to the basket that John would try to put a little more into his execution.

** And finally, in the game’s homestretch, John had a pretty easy layup and he was blocked straight up by a guy about 3 inches shorter than he is. I don’t know if this is a lack of effort as much as it is the fact that John just can’t get off of his feet very far at the moment.

** I believe Panther fans should appreciate the fine trio of Blake Hinson, Greg Elliott and especially Nelly Cummings. Nelly is bringing some wonderful confidence to the court at the moment, even if one might wonder if we should be impressed by a Pitt career high against a substandard opponent. Still, he’s now 15-32 (47%) from three in his last five games, and the height of the basket and the distance of the three point line is the same regardless of the quality of the opponent.

** My only other disappointment of the day was from Nike who didn’t step forward in Jamarius’ absence. At times, at the forefront of Nike’s issues can be shot selection, which was well exemplified in the first half when Nike came down and rushed a three early in the shot clock. “Nike, you can get that shot anytime you want it” my friend yelled in disgust. I responded: “well, I think he knows that and wanted the shot the just then!”

** I’m noticing there is growing splinter among Pitt Hoops fans, using their own particular perspectives as their evidence that things are actually going better than or worse than others may think.

** As I've said, I don’t have any answers at the moment. I only know that by March 31, perspective most likely won’t be needed. After five years, for better or worse, Capel’s record will speak clearly for itself.

As to your last point, I think it’s pretty simple.

This team is better than some (who want Capel fired immediately) want to give it credit for. At the same time, Capel’s overall track record is extremely poor and absent an NCAA tourney appearance, he should be fired (Capel supporters disagree).

The athletic department is in real limbo, aside from what some have heard that it’s NCAA or bust.

Capel, after four years finally has something to coach. This team looks pretty good and we all agree is more talented.

The problem is coaches show their coaching acumen with underperforming athletes and Capel has not been able to truly do that, aside from stretches here and there.

We have more talent this year and this is his doing, he made this happen. While certainly not a final four team one has to recognize he assembled quite a group this year.

I will be interested in seeing how Fedi does during the ACC season. I’m pulling for this guy, wish he was a little faster but overall is certainly an improvement to our program.

Most are in agreement let’s see how the rest of the season plays out…but personally, I’ve had more fun this year watching Pitt basketball than I can remember. H2P

The first was in the first half when he tried to pass out of a simply trap a threw a really ridiculous pass over everything for a turnover. It was undisciplined and lackadaisical.

And the worst part was, as he went down the court he was yelling at Greg Elliot as if it was his fault that Hugley threw a pass that would have embarrassed your average Lair poster.

This team is better than some (who want Capel fired immediately) want to give it credit for. At the same time, Capel’s overall track record is extremely poor and absent an NCAA tourney appearance, he should be fired (Capel supporters disagree).
Watching Pitt play is very painful now. And it has been for 7-8 years. I am not sure what better is. But it’s a very low bar I guess for some posters.

I will say on a positive side I really like watching Nelly play. He may be the best true point guard since Levance. Fede has a lot of potential and is really fun to root for. I wish there was something else to reallly appreciate.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss
Watching Pitt play is very painful now. And it has been for 7-8 years. I am not sure what better is. But it’s a very low bar I guess for some posters.

I will say on a positive side I really like watching Nelly play. He may be the best true point guard since Levance. Fede has a lot of potential and is really fun to root for. I wish there was something else to reallly appreciate.

You didn’t appreciate back to back road wins over the 63rd and 55th KenPom ranked teams? Or seeing the fight against Vandy?

I’m by no means defending Capel because I want him fired but I think this team is enjoyable to watch and root for and am excited to see them in ACC play because I think they could win 12 or so with the right bounces. Also think tjey could easily only win 7-8.

You didn’t appreciate back to back road wins over the 63rd and 55th KenPom ranked teams? Or seeing the fight against Vandy?

I’m by no means defending Capel because I want him fired but I think this team is enjoyable to watch and root for and am excited to see them in ACC play because I think they could win 12 or so with the right bounces. Also think tjey could easily only win 7-8.
I appreciated those wins. We should have beat Vandy. They aren’t good. I just don’t think Capel can get us to a tourney even if he is here 10 more years. So it’s fine to enjoy a few wins. But it would be nice to have a reason to actually be competitive again for a whole season as a program and respected. And play in March.

Reactions: iMissTheOldDayss

And I remember beating number 1 ranked teams and top 10 teams a few coaches ago. So I know it can be done. So 56 and 63 ranked wins just don’t fill me with excitement.

And the worst part was, as he went down the court he was yelling at Greg Elliot as if it was his fault that Hugley threw a pass that would have embarrassed your average Lair poster.
And sticking out his lazy leg on a drive and looking incredulously at the ref for calling it. Can’t think of any all-conference types who have fallen off this much in recent times.

First off, nice to have dribbles back after a one game hiatus. For me, after watching this team to this point, it is pretty clear we have guys who can put the ball in the basket this year. Elliot, Hinson, Burton, and Nelly are all capable of dropping 20 any given evening. That said, the number of games we win will be determined by the effort that we put in on the defensive end. To this point, it hasn't been good enough. As the competition stiffens, we are not going to be able to rely on outscoring anybody. If the defense improves, meaning it works harder, and stops getting killed off the dribble, we can be a top half of the ACC team. If not, we finish between 10-13th and say goodbye to this staff.

** It would seem to me that 11 games into the 2022-2023 campaign, and well into Capel’s fifth year as Head Coach, that for most of the most die-hard Pitt Hoops fans, the Panthers have become a tiresome, if not tedious exercise in perspective.

** Let’s start a game ago at Vanderbilt. On it’s own, a one point loss on the road against a fair SEC foe was not a terrible thing by any means. The Panthers didn’t play badly, and actually did plenty of win-worthy things among one-more-than-that loss-worthy things. If the Panthers didn’t need every possible win out of conference win we can get, or if we hadn’t lost to VCU, the Vandy loss wouldn’t feel quite so difficult.

** This evening, a 25-point win could be if not should be, something to enjoy. This is especially true for a fan base who should likely savior every iota of success it can swallow.

** Yet an unhealthier dose of perspective reminds us that this was a Sacred Heart team ranked around #300 by Ken Pomeroy, or who lost by 38 to Rutgers after enduring a 21 point first half deficit.

** Lest we not forget that Sacred Heart only trailed by 5 at today’s half, and only 2 points at the 13:56 mark of second half.

** But should we put that into perspective knowing the Panthers only surrendered 12 more points in those final near 14 minutes while scoring 36 the same time frame.

** Quite frankly, I just don’t know anymore. And part of me is tired of tying to figure it out.

** This much I do know. I really enjoyed watching Federiko Federiko today. During both of his second half exits from the game today, I rose to my feet to applaud his energy and effort, if not his athleticism and plain old production.

** Sure, maybe it’s wiser to put perspective into Fede’s 17 point, 14 rebound, 3 assist, 3 block performance knowing that Sacred Heart didn’t have a single starter over 6-6, and only one other player taller than that at 6-8, and he logged a mere 18 minutes.

** To the positive, maybe one could compare Fede to his newly named understudy John, who was remarkably less effective in his 11 minutes. In fact, mostly he was pretty bad actually. Again.

** Plenty have tried to put Big John’s performances into perspective too, knowing that he’s still just getting into shape, or he’s shaking off rust, or is even struggling trying to fit into the Panthers new attack.

** I’m not going to try to dive into how much perspective is healthy for John. I just know at the moment that he’s not anywhere close to the same player he was last year.

** And while I hate to pile on John, I do want to point to three specific plays that I found extremely troubling. The first was on the first half when he tried to pass out of a simply trap a threw a really ridiculous pass over everything for a turnover. It was undisciplined and lackadaisical.

** Next, in the second half, right after he came in the game, John moved to the top of the key for a high ball screen. But before screening anything at all, he faded back for a roll into a spot where he really couldn’t receive anything. Setting a bad screen is nothing new, but one would hope after watching Fede set strong, effective screens followed by disciplined rolls to the basket that John would try to put a little more into his execution.

** And finally, in the game’s homestretch, John had a pretty easy layup and he was blocked straight up by a guy about 3 inches shorter than he is. I don’t know if this is a lack of effort as much as it is the fact that John just can’t get off of his feet very far at the moment.

** I believe Panther fans should appreciate the fine trio of Blake Hinson, Greg Elliott and especially Nelly Cummings. Nelly is bringing some wonderful confidence to the court at the moment, even if one might wonder if we should be impressed by a Pitt career high against a substandard opponent. Still, he’s now 15-32 (47%) from three in his last five games, and the height of the basket and the distance of the three point line is the same regardless of the quality of the opponent.

** My only real disappointment of the day was from Nike who didn’t step forward in Jamarius’ absence. At times at the forefront of Nike’s issues can be shot selection, which was well exemplified in the first half when Nike came down and rushed a three early in the shot clock. “Nike, you can get that shot anytime you want it” my friend yelled in disgust. I responded: “well, I think he knows that and wanted the shot the just then!”

** I’m noticing there is growing splinter among Pitt Hoops fans, using their own particular perspectives as their evidence that things are actually going better than or worse than others may think.

** As I've said, I don’t have any answers at the moment. I only know that by March 31, perspective most likely won’t be needed. After five years, for better or worse, Capel’s record will speak clearly for itself.

Pomeroy rankings

National Rank- 78
Offensive Efficiency Rank- 66
Defensive Efficiency Rank- 87

ORTG Player Ranks

Hinson-118
Elliot-117
Fede-128
Burton-112
Cummings-108

( This 5 above for the whole season now looks good on offense efficiency wise and we have improved on offense)

Hugley-99
Diaz Graham-99
Sibande-93

G Diaz Graham-84
Santos- 67

A few thoughts on this.

1) Had we had these numbers above with 1) Dior and no legal issues and 2) Last years Hugley, we would be looking at a team that in my opinion is 9-2 instead of 7-4.

2) Our team depth currently is weak / not consistent as it stands, much weaker than anticipated preseason.

3) The offense has been at a minimum "decent" the last 5 games combined. I think the offense can be better as time goes on this season. The defense outside NC State is still a problem. Not having Burton multiple games is going to make our defense look worse.

Torvik currently projects Pitt to go 10-10 in the ACC. Would we take that as its much better than it has been? The league is lousy and our schedule isnt all that tough. Per Torvik, we still have 10 games against teams outside the Top 100. Torvik is projecting 17 regular season wins. If we hit 20 and overachieve with this weak schedule, what happens then with Capel? Like you said above, Im not sure on a lot of things either. I still think the schedule and the wins remaining hinge on the defense. The defense clearly failed at Vanderbilt and we lost. Part of that is turnover problems on our own part.

First off, nice to have dribbles back after a one game hiatus. For me, after watching this team to this point, it is pretty clear we have guys who can put the ball in the basket this year. Elliot, Hinson, Burton, and Nelly are all capable of dropping 20 any given evening. That said, the number of games we win will be determined by the effort that we put in on the defensive end. To this point, it hasn't been good enough. As the competition stiffens, we are not going to be able to rely on outscoring anybody. If the defense improves, meaning it works harder, and stops getting killed off the dribble, we can be a top half of the ACC team. If not, we finish between 10-13th and say goodbye to this staff.
I wouldn’t count on the staff going anywhere unless we tank badly. We aren’t on that path now. And as Vadar said our schedule is pretty easy. We will see but I won’t be at all shocked if he is back next year with all his assistants.

Pomeroy rankings

National Rank- 78

ORTG Player Ranks

Hinson-118
Elliot-117
Fede-128
Burton-112
Cummings-108

( This 5 above for the whole season now looks good on offense efficiency wise and we have improved on offense)

Hugley-99
Diaz Graham-99
Sibande-93

G Diaz Graham-84
Santos- 67

A few thoughts on this.

1) Had we had these numbers above with 1) Dior and no legal issues and 2) Last years Hugley, we would be looking at a team that in my opinion is 9-2 instead of 7-4.

2) Our team depth currently is weak / not consistent as it stands, much weaker than anticipated preseason.

3) The offense has been at a minimum "decent" the last 5 games combined. I think the offense can be better as time goes on this season. The defense outside NC State is still a problem. Not having Burton multiple games is going to make our defense look worse.

Torvik currently projects Pitt to go 10-10 in the ACC. Would we take that as its much better than it has been? The league is lousy and our schedule isnt all that tough. Per Torvik, we still have 10 games against teams outside the Top 100. Torvik is projecting 17 regular season wins. If we hit 20 and overachieve with this weak schedule, what happens then with Capel? Like you said above, Im not sure on a lot of things either. I still think the schedule and the wins remaining hinge on the defense. The defense clearly failed at Vanderbilt and we lost. Part of that is turnovers problems on our own part.
I have to make other decisions in my field, I’m really glad I don’t have to make this one

I wouldn’t count on the staff going anywhere unless we tank badly. We aren’t on that path now. And as Vadar said our schedule is pretty easy. We will see but I won’t be at all shocked if he is back next year with all his assistants.
Unlike some on the Lair, I am not hoping for it. I really think this is easily the best collection of shooters on a Capel coached Pitt team. The real question is can these guys step it up on defense??? It's that simple. I don't know if we are athletic enough to be good on defense, but, I also know that defense is all desire and effort so we can definitely improve.

Pomeroy rankings

National Rank- 78

ORTG Player Ranks

Hinson-118
Elliot-117
Fede-128
Burton-112
Cummings-108

Hugley-99
Diaz Graham-99
Sibande-93

G Diaz Graham-84
Santos- 67

A few thoughts on this.

Torvik currently projects Pitt to go 10-10 in the ACC. Would we take that as its much better than it has been? The league is lousy and our schedule isnt all that tough. Per Torvik, we still have 10 games against teams outside the Top 100. Torvik is projecting 17 regular season wins. If we hit 20 and overachieve with this weak schedule, what happens then with Capel? Like you said above, Im not sure on a lot of things either. I still think the schedule and the wins remaining hinge on the defense. The defense clearly failed at Vanderbilt and we lost. Part of that is turnover problems on our own part.
I'll take 10-10 in the ACC without a second thought.

I appreciated those wins. We should have beat Vandy. They aren’t good. I just don’t think Capel can get us to a tourney even if he is here 10 more years. So it’s fine to enjoy a few wins. But it would be nice to have a reason to actually be competitive again for a whole season as a program and respected. And play in March.

And I agree with this too. Like I said, barring an NCAAT I think he should be fired.

And to your last point…. If your standard is prime Dixon then you’re always going to be disappointed (as you know). But I definitely think you can consistently get to the tourney here, even if it’s usually as a 5-11 seed instead of the 1-3 seeds we got used to.

I think the last couple months of this season will tell is a lot…. Whether he did truly have some bad luck (attitude issues, injuries, arrestes, banging gfs, etc) that he couldn’t overcome, or whether the yearly Capel collapse truly is on him.

We’ll see.

I'll take 10-10 in the ACC without a second thought.

Does 17 wins and 10 acc wins retain Capel? Perhaps with an ACC tournament run and getting Dior back next year. I like the thought of of Dior / Lowe / Carrington a lot, but Im still disappointed we are 7-4 right now with 2 losses to 2 not good teams in VCU and Vandy, regardless of the circumstances.

I also thought preseason we would have been better than 7-4 from our first 11 games. Preseason, like I said above, I also expected Dior and Hugley of last year as a player before things happened.

I have doubts on John getting it together this year just because he missed so much time and his conditioning just isnt there. I don't have doubts on a potential Dior impact if he is cleared. Dior would make an impact, immediately.

Does 17 wins and 10 acc wins retain Capel? Perhaps with an ACC tournament run and getting Dior back next year. I like the thought of of Dior / Lowe / Carrington a lot, but Im still disappointed we are 7-4 right now with 2 losses to 2 not good teams in VCU and Vandy, regardless of the circumstances.

I also thought preseason we would have been better than 7-4 from our first 11 games. Preseason, like I said above, I also expected Dior and Hugley of last year as a player before things happened.

I have doubts on John getting it together this year just because he missed so much time and his conditioning just isnt there. I don't have doubts on a potential Dior impact if he is cleared. Dior would make an impact, immediately.
I think it does retain him. Conditioning is certainly an issue with John but he's regressed in so many other areas. He's looks much worse than his first days as a freshman.

All I know is that if Capel is able to keep building teams that play like this, I’m not sure if that’s a coach that you get rid of - tournament or not this season.

He has a good recruiting class coming in. If he can retain and pull one or two strong guys out of the portal, we’re in business

All I know is that if Capel is able to keep building teams that play like this, I’m not sure if that’s a coach that you get rid of - tournament or not this season.
Huh? We have better players. But he is very far from a coach that you don’t consider getting rid of. Let’s wait and see. If he doesn’t make the NIT then nobody can say seriously he should be back.

A win is a win , let’s enjoy the positives when we can !

Take 10-10 in a heartbeat .

Someone is impersonating Big John , he’s not the same player . Hopefully he’ll work his way back into shape and find his game . Some perspective here , TJ Watt looks nothing like the player he was now either and he’s getting paid a little more money !

Hugley can’t jump , can’t be related to a knee injury , now could it !

Does JC deserve more time , it’s not as easy as most think . Based on his past performances the answer is easy ….he’s toast . However there are other factors at play here . If this team shows some spunk the rest of the yr and for arguments sake they have Dior and the recruits , the twins , a healthy Hugley and Hinson next yr looks promising. Recruiting success brings further recruiting success so who knows what other freshman and portal guys this staff can bring in . Fire JC , even with a reduced buyout , will still cost millions , and I’d bet the house they‘d lose the majority of their players . Next whose Pitt bringing in to coach a losing program with no players or fans , IMO no one of note without grossly over paying which isn’t happening . Heathers praying she can stick with Capel and unless they’re horrible he’s going nowhere next yr . If I was Heather and when asked about her HC I’d say I’m only looking forward looking in the rear view mirror is for losers .

I think we've been so used to and so "hardened" by the total lack of success of the past 4 to 6 years under Stallings and Capel, especially Capel, that we as Pitt fans don't even know now what improvement or success looks like. It's particularly disappointing with Capel because he came to Pitt with such hope for success from Pitt fans. It's never materialized.

So we beat a very poor, overmatched SHU team on our home court by 25 points after letting them stay in the game for almost 2/3 of the game. There were some good things to see today, but we have to consider the level of competition. It wasn't great.

I'm withholding any judgement with this team until it's mid-February and we've played some decent ACC teams. And it won't be just the record. It will then be HOW we played against those teams that matters most. Did we play shut-down defense with lots of energy, rebound the hell out of the ball, cause the other team to turn the ball over? Did we pass the ball and communicate on the floor instead of this nonsense of dribbling all over the court to find a shot? It's all a wait and see game now.

A win is a win , let’s enjoy the positives when we can !

Take 10-10 in a heartbeat .

Someone is impersonating Big John , he’s not the same player . Hopefully he’ll work his way back into shape and find his game . Some perspective here , TJ Watt looks nothing like the player he was now either and he’s getting paid a little more money !

Hugley can’t jump , can’t be related to a knee injury , now could it !

Does JC deserve more time , it’s not as easy as most think . Based on his past performances the answer is easy ….he’s toast . However there are other factors at play here . If this team shows some spunk the rest of the yr and for arguments sake they have Dior and the recruits , the twins , a healthy Hugley and Hinson next yr looks promising. Recruiting success brings further recruiting success so who knows what other freshman and portal guys this staff can bring in . Fire JC , even with a reduced buyout , will still cost millions , and I’d bet the house they‘d lose the majority of their players . Next whose Pitt bringing in to coach a losing program with no players or fans , IMO no one of note without grossly over paying which isn’t happening . Heathers praying she can stick with Capel and unless they’re horrible he’s going nowhere next yr . If I was Heather and when asked about her HC I’d say I’m only looking forward looking in the rear view mirror is for losers .

To me, regardless of Dior and John, we have to make a move this year and push for 20 wins. Capel just has to to show he can actually Coach a team "up" and exceed some type of minimum expectations against this poor schedule.

We have 4 games in the ACC against Florida State and Louisville. These 2 teams are a combined 2-18 on the year, they are terrible. On top of that, one of Florida State's best players just tore his acl and is now done for the year. Boston College, who has 5 wins currently, is barely much better than either of these teams. We literally have 5 acc games on the schedule similar in ranking to whom we face next game in North Florida, a team we should be favored by about 13 points or so. That doesn't even get into the not good at all teams right now like Georgia Tech, Syracuse, etc..

Any half decent legit power 6 team with an actual pulse and a half decent coach would absolutely clean up on a schedule like we have a head of us and stock pile some wins. And should we get a major talent in Dior back, it should be even easier to beat these teams. 10 wins is what Torvik currently predicts. That to me should be the bare minimum if Capel can actually Coach assuming no more injuries or team issues.

** This evening, a 25-point win could be if not should be something to enjoy. This is especially true for a fan base who should likely savior every iota of success it can swallow.

** But should we put that into perspective knowing the Panthers only surrendered 12 more points in those final near 14 minutes while scoring 36 the same time frame?

** And while I hate to pile on John, I do want to point to three specific plays that I found extremely troubling. The first was in the first half when he tried to pass out of a simply trap a threw a really ridiculous pass over everything for a turnover. It was undisciplined and lackadaisical.

** My only other disappointment of the day was from Nike who didn’t step forward in Jamarius’ absence. At times, at the forefront of Nike’s issues can be shot selection, which was well exemplified in the first half when Nike came down and rushed a three early in the shot clock. “Nike, you can get that shot anytime you want it” my friend yelled in disgust. I responded: “well, I think he knows that and wanted the shot the just then!”

I think you are over-thinking this. This team is fun to watch and much better than what we have had lately.

Are they perfect? Hell no!

Do they do a bunch of maddening things? Hell yeah!

Can they win just about any game on their schedule? Hell yeah!

Can they lose just about any game on their schedule? Hell yeah!

This team really isn’t that hard to figure out at all. They have talent sometimes and work hard sometimes and can win a decent amount of games. Many times the talent and effort don’t look so good and that means they can lose a decent amount of games.

I mean, this team looks so inconsistent that they are consistent. They are a team that will win some big ones, like maybe UNC or UVA, but then will turn around and lose some like maybe BC or GT. Th lay is likely what this team is. I’d say we go anywhere from 9-11 to 11-9 in convenience amd have a shot at the NIT.

At this point, I’ll take it!

I think you are over-thinking this. This team is fun to watch and much better than what we have had lately.

Are they perfect? Hell no!

Do they do a bunch of maddening things? Hell yeah!

Can they win just about any game on their schedule? Hell yeah!

Can they lose just about any game on their schedule? Hell yeah!

This team really isn’t that hard to figure out at all. They have talent sometimes and work hard sometimes and can win a decent amount of games. Many times the talent and effort don’t look so good and that means they can lose a decent amount of games.

I mean, this team looks so inconsistent that they are consistent. They are a team that will win some big ones, like maybe UNC or UVA, but then will turn around and lose some like maybe BC or GT. Th lay is likely what this team is. I’d say we go anywhere from 9-11 to 11-9 in convenience amd have a shot at the NIT.

At this point, I’ll take it!

It would seem like you put as much thought into it as you said I was overthinking. LOL!

Reactions: rockypanther
It would seem like you put as much thought into it as you said I was overthinking. LOL!
Maybe over-thinking was wrong. How about over-worrying? Treat it like we aren’t going anywhere this season and have fun watching the enthusiasm of Fede, Hinton and the brothers. Every game is a toss up, I am trying not to think too much about what this means for the end of the year and any post season play.

Maybe over-thinking was wrong. How about over-worrying? Treat it like we aren’t going anywhere this season and have fun watching the enthusiasm of Fede, Hinton and the brothers. Every game is a toss up, I am trying not to think too much about what this means for the end of the year and any post season play.

I wasn't really thinking for me. I enjoyed the game enough. I was making more of a commentary about our overall fan base in general.

Reactions: rockypanther

If we beat VCU and/or Vandy, then we’d all feel a lot better. Those are the kind of games you need to win if you want to make the Tournament.

Honest question for the people who want to keep Capel. If Capel doesn't make the tourney this year and you keep him for the recruiting class. What happens when he doesn't make it again next year? Do you fire him then?

Pitt while getting good recruits will also lose some important pieces.

Honest question for the people who want to keep Capel. If Capel doesn't make the tourney this year and you keep him for the recruiting class. What happens when he doesn't make it again next year? Do you fire him then?

There is a difference between wanting to keep him and what thinking Pitt will do . The fact that he’s still here says that the money issue is far more important than performance to them .

He certainly becomes more vulnerable as the dollars owed to him become fewer .

Barely making the tournament and losing in the first round would be a step in the right direction and a minimum for retention for many , I just want to see a competitive team that improves and is a player away from being a really good team . Something in the back of my head tells me that the twins as they physically mature can change the direction of the program.

To be honest I’ve become so jaded about the decisions that Pitt has made in regards with the head coaching position I just can’t imagine Pitt being able to hire and retain a coach that can return Pitt to the glory yrs of the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittisit4me
How odd it is that we once complained about there were no meaningful games in December and Ben or Jamie needed to schedule better. This board was super boring (almost off season like) then.

But now all games are competitive at points and the board is worn out from this lack of sensational ability.

I have concluded that “Pitt” fans enjoy when we are winners in any sport but really exist in form when we are a frustrating team in football and/or basketball. And I won’t say that is how it is everywhere because I now live in a Happy Valley type place where every small success is a clear indicator of a National Championship or Heismann trophy.

I honestly prefer the cynical Pitt environment.

I’m obviously in the fire capel camp if there is no NCAA and I will give you my reason why:
Penn State.

Penn State was a dormant program, it hasn’t been to an ncaa in a LONGGGGG time and has zero advantages over Pitt. As of December 11th, they are in the NCAA field after demolishing a top 15 team on their home court in conference during year 2 of Shrew (who I pushed after Hurley passed, btw). This is the impact a great coach who has a vision and has solid assistants can have. He also has the 30th class last year after having the 27th class last year. I know his assistants and staff. They are good, but not great. I know his staff budget. Not even close to ours. The BJC is a joke for a basketball game. State College is obviously not a hoops town (although I bet they start to draw for big games).

That is all to say there is absolutely no reason Pitt should be worse than Penn State in basketball. None. Which may sound arrogant or whatever but it’s the same approach they take to us in football. And it’s 100 percent the right take. We have better resources, a more conducive environment to attract recruits, better history and better fans. And frankly, right now, we have an easier conference to win in.

But Penn State identified a coach who they thought could build a program, they killed in the portal, they killed it in HS recruiting and in just year 2 they have a shot at the NCAA and will go to at least the NIT. There is no excuse for not being in one NCAA per 5 years with the portal. It should be impossible.

I’m obviously in the fire capel camp if there is no NCAA and I will give you my reason why:
Penn State.

Penn State was a dormant program, it hasn’t been to an ncaa in a LONGGGGG time and has zero advantages over Pitt. As of December 11th, they are in the NCAA field after demolishing a top 15 team on their home court in conference during year 2 of Shrew (who I pushed after Hurley passed, btw). This is the impact a great coach who has a vision and has solid assistants can have. He also has the 30th class last year after having the 27th class last year. I know his assistants and staff. They are good, but not great. I know his staff budget. Not even close to ours. The BJC is a joke for a basketball game. State College is obviously not a hoops town (although I bet they start to draw for big games).

That is all to say there is absolutely no reason Pitt should be worse than Penn State in basketball. None. Which may sound arrogant or whatever but it’s the same approach they take to us in football. And it’s 100 percent the right take. We have better resources, a more conducive environment to attract recruits, better history and better fans. And frankly, right now, we have an easier conference to win in.

But Penn State identified a coach who they thought could build a program, they killed in the portal, they killed it in HS recruiting and in just year 2 they have a shot at the NCAA and will go to at least the NIT. There is no excuse for not being in one NCAA per 5 years with the portal. It should be impossible.
Agree with your general premise that Pitt should almost always be better in hoops than PSU analogous to the reasons PSU should almost always should be better than Pitt in football--inherent advantages.

On the other hand, the post-Dixon sorry state of Pitt basketball is a function of several factors that discouraged any interest by coaches who could have produced immediate quality results. Some are:

Perception (or reality/) that Dixon was forced out.

Coaching candidates not wanting to have their level of success measured against Dixon's entire tenure.

Incompetent AD with no sense of the attitudes/wants of the Pitt fan base.

Hiring of a washed-up coach who had never had Dixon's consistent level of success.

New hire's inability to keep the best inherited roster talent and immediately add a competent point guard and plug other holes in the roster to plateau the program as a base on which to rebuild vs blowing it all up (or letting it self destruct) rather than starting from zero.

Other issues that added to the overall toxicity that has continued?

Yes
And it’s cheaper to boot

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT