ADVERTISEMENT

Some random thoughts and ideas...

Bednar should be the first to go. Everyone gets all excited because he is a local person and has done a good job in the bullpen. The reality of it is, the Pirates do not need a closer. There are many playoff teams who would trade for him to improve their bullpens. I know he is their "closer", but they probably have 2-3 other pitchers in the bullpen who could do the job if given the opportunity.
Again. You got to see what you can get. Having an all star closer for a sub .500 team is like having a corvette yet you can’t afford a house.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
Bednar should be the first to go. Everyone gets all excited because he is a local person and has done a good job in the bullpen. The reality of it is, the Pirates do not need a closer. There are many playoff teams who would trade for him to improve their bullpens. I know he is their "closer", but they probably have 2-3 other pitchers in the bullpen who could do the job if given the opportunity.
He should go along with anything that isn't (and some things that are) nailed down. I would still trade Reynolds. Davis is going to play outfield...they will draft Crews and he will be up in two years. Which is realistically the soonest they have a chance of truly being competitive. What will Reynolds bat look like in two years? But other than those two...who else would actually have any value/use to a contender? There will a ton of bullpen arms available at the deadline...who needs 'em? The Rangers and Angels. The Phillies and D-backs go with committee approaches and seem unlikely to change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT