ADVERTISEMENT

Some random thoughts and ideas...

YourPittDanceTeam

Sophomore
Dec 8, 2010
- The PIRATES...For all you who are talking how good they are doing this year, STOP. As I said in a post back in April when the Pirates were winning quite a few games, the Pirates are not a good team. They are doing the same thing that they have done over most of the past 20 years or so. They play slightly better then .500 baseball, the first 3rd of the season (Let's say 28-26). The media nd the fans get excited and start talking about this being "the year". The middle 3rd of the season, they start to tail off a little bit and play 12 or so games under the .500 mark (Let's say 20-34, making their season record to that point 48-60). The last 3rd in typical Pirates fashion, they tail off even more and start trading away the older and over priced players and lose 15 or so games under the .500 mark (Let's say 20-34, making their season record 68-94). The W/L numbers may not be exactly correct, but rest assured by the time the season ends, they will be where they always seem to with W/L's. As Albert Einstein once said..."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". That my friends is Pirates baseball.
- Is there a safer job in sports then the one that Derek Shelton currently has with the Pittsburgh Pirates? I mean, if gets near the .500 mark by the end of the season, the ownership of the team and its fan will be ecstatic. If he gets anywhere near winning 70-72 games, he will be praised like he won the World Series title. God forbid should they have a winning record, they may make a statue of him to put outside PNC Park.

- MLB...PLEASE enter into the 21st Century and find a way to eliminate the home plate umpires. They are terrible and add quite a bit of time to the length of a MLB game. If the ATP/WTA can use a system like the "Hawk-Eye Line Calling System" on tennis balls that are moving well over 100 mph, they can certainly find a similar system for MLB.

- The STEELERS...Let me begin my pointing out that I am not a Steelers fan. That being said, I am a huge Pitt fan and therefore I am a big Kenny Pickett fan and I want him to flourish here in Pittsburgh. Sadly, I do not think that will happen. It will not be because Kenny Pickett is a bad QB, it will be because of Mike Tomlin's decision to not let Kenny Pickett be the starting QB at the beginning of last season and Matt Canada's offense and the poor play calling that they used. Unless something changes in their decision making and play calling, Pickett will continue to struggle and so will the team. Also, if they do take the training wheels off of Pickett and he becomes successful, it will have nothing to do with Tomlin or Canada, but they will both receive credit for it.

- PITT...I've heard people talking about Pitt winning 10 games again this year. While I hope that happens, after taking a look at their schedule and being as realistic as possible, a record of 7-5 seems reasonable. If they were to win 8 or more, in my opinion, it would be a good year. Also, would love to be sitting at the Palko family's dinner table on Thanksgiving Day this year, Bob Palko has to be aware of how this looks to Pitt fans, would love to know why he would do that to the football program that gave his son a chance to become a college football star.

- UPMC...They have made large donations to help build the $40 million dollar UPMC Cooper Arena at Duquesne University and the $50 million dollar UPMC Events Center at RMU. Wonder gestures by the folks at UPMC to help out a couple of smaller local colleges athletic departments. That being said, how about UPMC stepping up to the plate financially to help the University of Pittsburgh (I know that they are not LEGALLY connected, but they are) build a new on campus stadium for its football and track and field programs. Pipe dream I know, but hey why not?

My retort…..

Palko has to eat. Unless PITT is paying him, we have no say in who he should work for.

Given the potential donation from the Cost family, I am certain UPMC will want the naming rights to our new stadium. I would not be shocked if we see an announcement in late 2024 about a UPMC donation toward the new stadium. This stadium is going to happen.

Reactions: Eastern Eight
It's simple. Those other schools planned to build their facilities hbd solicited UPMC. Pitt doesn't want to take on the project. This is a school that took 20 years to change the uniforms back even when it was clear to everyone else but then what should have been done.

Palko has to eat. Unless PITT is paying him, we have no say in who he should work for.
Totally agree! For all we know, maybe he wanted to work at Pitt, but there was
no offer forthcoming. His son playing and starring at Pitt has no bearing on where
he coaches.

909.jpg

Penn State offered Palko a job. Who cares?

Pickett may succeed or fail, but it’ll have nothing to do with him not entering 2022 as the starter. If he can’t overcome that, then he was never going to be good in the first place. Now, Matt Canada’s amateur offensive scheme is a real concern.

My retort…..

Given the potential donation from the Cost family, I am certain UPMC will want the naming rights to our new stadium. I would not be shocked if we see an announcement in late 2024 about a UPMC donation toward the new stadium. This stadium is going to happen.
I agree that no one has a say in where he should work. Honestly, I could care less about Bob Palko and where he works. That being said, it should make for a very interesting Thanksgiving family dinner at the Palko's this year. On the stadium issue, we will have to wait and see. I hope that you are right, but who knows.

It's simple. Those other schools planned to build their facilities hbd solicited UPMC. Pitt doesn't want to take on the project. This is a school that took 20 years to change the uniforms back even when it was clear to everyone else but then what should have been done.
I agree with the portion about Pitt. When it comes to spending big money to improve itself, Pitt always seems to drag its feet in doing so.

Penn State offered Palko a job. Who cares?

Pickett may succeed or fail, but it’ll have nothing to do with him not entering 2022 as the starter. If he can’t overcome that, then he was never going to be good in the first place. Now, Matt Canada’s amateur offensive scheme is a real concern.
I beg to differ with you in regards to Kenny Pickett. I have constantly heard since the season ended, that Pickett needed to learn the offense and how to become an NFL QB. Some of that nonsense came directly from the mouth of Mike Tomlin himself. By not letting him play early AND by keeping the play calling ultra conservative, they DID hinder Pickett's ability to have success in his first year. The reality of it is, I bet there are quite a few people in the Steelers front office who still aren't 100% sure they have their long term starting QB.

I beg to differ with you in regards to Kenny Pickett. I have constantly heard since the season ended, that Pickett needed to learn the offense and how to become an NFL QB. Some of that nonsense came directly from the mouth of Mike Tomlin himself. By not letting him play early AND by keeping the play calling ultra conservative, they DID hinder Pickett's ability to have success in his first year. The reality of it is, I bet there are quite a few people in the Steelers front office who still aren't 100% sure they have their long term starting QB.
Every QB entering the league has to learn to become an NFL QB. Entering training camp as the No. 3 and then starting the season as the backup has zero bearing on his overall career. Again, if it does, then Pickett was a wasted draft pick.

- The PIRATES...For all you who are talking how good they are doing this year, STOP. As I said in a post back in April when the Pirates were winning quite a few games, the Pirates are not a good team. They are doing the same thing that they have done over most of the past 20 years or so. They play slightly better then .500 baseball, the first 3rd of the season (Let's say 28-26). The media nd the fans get excited and start talking about this being "the year". The middle 3rd of the season, they start to tail off a little bit and play 12 or so games under the .500 mark (Let's say 20-34, making their season record to that point 48-60). The last 3rd in typical Pirates fashion, they tail off even more and start trading away the older and over priced players and lose 15 or so games under the .500 mark (Let's say 20-34, making their season record 68-94). The W/L numbers may not be exactly correct, but rest assured by the time the season ends, they will be where they always seem to with W/L's. As Albert Einstein once said..."Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results". That my friends is Pirates baseball.
- Is there a safer job in sports then the one that Derek Shelton currently has with the Pittsburgh Pirates? I mean, if gets near the .500 mark by the end of the season, the ownership of the team and its fan will be ecstatic. If he gets anywhere near winning 70-72 games, he will be praised like he won the World Series title. God forbid should they have a winning record, they may make a statue of him to put outside PNC Park.

- MLB...PLEASE enter into the 21st Century and find a way to eliminate the home plate umpires. They are terrible and add quite a bit of time to the length of a MLB game. If the ATP/WTA can use a system like the "Hawk-Eye Line Calling System" on tennis balls that are moving well over 100 mph, they can certainly find a similar system for MLB.

- The STEELERS...Let me begin my pointing out that I am not a Steelers fan. That being said, I am a huge Pitt fan and therefore I am a big Kenny Pickett fan and I want him to flourish here in Pittsburgh. Sadly, I do not think that will happen. It will not be because Kenny Pickett is a bad QB, it will be because of Mike Tomlin's decision to not let Kenny Pickett be the starting QB at the beginning of last season and Matt Canada's offense and the poor play calling that they used. Unless something changes in their decision making and play calling, Pickett will continue to struggle and so will the team. Also, if they do take the training wheels off of Pickett and he becomes successful, it will have nothing to do with Tomlin or Canada, but they will both receive credit for it.

- PITT...I've heard people talking about Pitt winning 10 games again this year. While I hope that happens, after taking a look at their schedule and being as realistic as possible, a record of 7-5 seems reasonable. If they were to win 8 or more, in my opinion, it would be a good year. Also, would love to be sitting at the Palko family's dinner table on Thanksgiving Day this year, Bob Palko has to be aware of how this looks to Pitt fans, would love to know why he would do that to the football program that gave his son a chance to become a college football star.

- UPMC...They have made large donations to help build the $40 million dollar UPMC Cooper Arena at Duquesne University and the $50 million dollar UPMC Events Center at RMU. Wonder gestures by the folks at UPMC to help out a couple of smaller local colleges athletic departments. That being said, how about UPMC stepping up to the plate financially to help the University of Pittsburgh (I know that they are not LEGALLY connected, but they are) build a new on campus stadium for its football and track and field programs. Pipe dream I know, but hey why not?

960x0.jpg

KP will be as good or bad as the team around him including the coaches. Like all QB he’ll either get too much credit or blame. I do have trepidation because he really only had one excellent season in college, let’s face it. He’ll only be able to will a team to greatness with a good bit of help. He’s no magician like Mahomes. Did the team improve around him enough? Only time will tell.

The Pitt factor is also real; we all saw how the city chewed up and spit out Conner as the main scapegoat for the offenses problems, even though the Steelers had problems everywhere. If the team continues to struggle, KP will likely be only one of several reasons why, and perhaps not even a valid reason at all, but he’ll be an easy main target. It is the reason I was lukewarm that the team selected him.

Could also be Tomlin covering his terrible decision to keep KP away from meaningful reps for six months when he could have been, you know, learning how to play the position better. Of course KP needs to improve but strapping one arm behind his back and wasting that much time likely cost the club a playoff spot.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
The Pitt factor is also real; we all saw how the city chewed up and spit out Conner as the main scapegoat for the offenses problems, even though the Steelers had problems everywhere. If the team continues to struggle, KP will likely be only one of several reasons why, and perhaps not even a valid reason at all, but he’ll be an easy main target. It is the reason I was lukewarm that the team selected him.
But this never happened. The worst criticism Conner received was his inability to stay on the field.

But this never happened. The worst criticism Conner received was his inability to stay on the field.
Sorry, the injury issue wasn’t totally inaccurate, but the narrative quickly became “if only there was an really elite TB the offense would become great again” and the Steelers never discouraged it either. It led to the foolhardy waste of the first round pick of Harris. That entire offseason, it was heard how he would be the magic pill. Of course he was not; he is a good back and ran hard (when not getting pulverized behind the LOS), but the issue, of course, was mostly The OL and the diminishing skill of BR (and questionable OC).

Sorry, the injury issue wasn’t totally inaccurate, but the narrative quickly became “if only there was an really elite TB the offense would become great again” and the Steelers never discouraged it either. It led to the foolhardy waste of the first round pick of Harris. That entire offseason, it was heard how he would be the magic pill. Of course he was not; he is a good back and ran hard (when not getting pulverized behind the LOS), but the issue, of course, was mostly The OL and the diminishing skill of BR (and questionable OC).
No one thought that. The biggest issue was Fichtner at offensive coordinator and the offensive line. They let Fichtner go after 2020, which Conner left as well. Everyone wanted a qualified OC (we got Matt Canada) and to fix the offensive line (the Steelers tried to fix the running game with Harris). Fans wanted an offensive tackle if one fell and just about everyone was in love with Creed Humphrey as a long-term fixture at center. Even Landon Dickerson was a favorite. You are completely wrong on Conner being a scapegoat.

Najee Harris was one of the worst draft picks in Steelers history. In real time, I said it was terrible. Not because he's bad. He's an above average RB. But you dont let an an average to above average RB walk to waste a 1st Round pick on roughly the same dude.

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
No one thought that. The biggest issue was Fichtner at offensive coordinator and the offensive line. They let Fichtner go after 2020, which Conner left as well. Everyone wanted a qualified OC (we got Matt Canada) and to fix the offensive line (the Steelers tried to fix the running game with Harris). Fans wanted an offensive tackle if one fell and just about everyone was in love with Creed Humphrey as a long-term fixture at center. Even Landon Dickerson was a favorite. You are completely wrong on Conner being a scapegoat.
We’ll agree to disagree.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
When you are the only person to have that assessment of James Conner, then yes, you will disagree with me and every other Steelers fan.
Well, all of you mentally challenged and/or media sycophant Steeler fans, perhaps.

So the only question is: are you mentally challenged, or a media sycophant?

Mic drop.

Well, all of you mentally challenged and/or media sycophant Steeler fans, perhaps.
PFF called it a stupid pick and almost nobody in PGH liked the move because there was an aging QB that was struggling to stay upright behind a pretty bad OL. It was the deepest draft for OL-men in a long time. Team even doubled down and drafted a TE in the second that the didn't need and apparently saw a need to draft another with a high pick two years later.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
PFF called it a stupid pick and almost nobody in PGH liked the move because there was an aging QB that was struggling to stay upright behind a pretty bad OL. It was the deepest draft for OL-men in a long time. Team even doubled down and drafted a TE in the second that the didn't need and apparently saw a need to draft another with a high pick two years later.
And all this is true. Again I think all of us will happily acknowledge that NH is a fine player and a good guy. But it wasn’t a smart pick (and you have to look at it in context of where they were in that year and that time, not what they might have now…but even if you chose to do so, you’ll have to conclude this past draft and FA campaign is still doing damage control for not addressing the really key needs of that year).

It is valid to think Conner was deficient due to his propensity for injuries. I’ll even be generous and acknowledge he fumbled a bit much. But he was a pro bowl player when the offensive line and QB were merely proficient. Still he wasn’t perfect and indeed probably should be a tandem back as it has shown. Conner was only one of FOUR different guys who failed behind the awful OL in the last couple seasons. But Conner got singled out. It was lazy and it was overboard. It’s fact. Hopefully it doesn’t happen with Pickett. All but likely it would though, as QB.

Last edited:
And all this is true. Again I think all of us will happily acknowledge that NH is a fine player and a good guy. But it wasn’t a smart pick (and you have to look at it in context of where they were in that year and that time, not what they might have now…but even if you chose to do so, you’ll have to conclude this past draft and FA campaign is still doing damage control for not addressing the really key needs of that year).

It is valid to think Conner was deficient due to his propensity for injuries. I’ll even be generous and acknowledge he fumbled a bit much. But he was a pro bowl player when the offensive line and QB were merely proficient. Still he wasn’t perfect and indeed probably should be a tandem back as it has shown. Conner was only one of FOUR different guys who failed behind the awful OL in the last couple seasons. But Conner got singled out. It was lazy and it was overboard. It’s fact. Hopefully it doesn’t happen with Pickett. All but likely it would though, as QB
What made it a dumb pick more than anything is that RB is a position with a relatively short shelf life. There are few feature backs that can sustain a long career anymore and there isn't much of a point in paying for that kind of player's services. Best case, a guy finds a way to be part of a committee and that spares the RB's a lot of pounding. Conner would have been to expensive to hold onto and there was a perception he wasn't big enough because Tomlin prefers to put most of the load on one guy. Conner has flourished since so we know it wasn't him and his injuries were partly the result of being misused. Najee improved last year but if this rebuild goes well, he won't be a part of it unless he's willing to play at a discount because he'll be up for a new contract and get very expensive in a couple years. Assuming he goes uninjured.

I won't sit here and pretend the Steelers should have reached for a second round OL-man but RB shouldn't have been a priority. Picking a TE that might not be a number one in another year in the second round might end up being a worse pick. Then they decided to draft a Guard that played a few games at Center and put him in front of an aging HOF QB. Quite possibly

Reactions: lilspainishflea

You can't build a new stadium until the dust settles on all the reorganization. Is Pitt & the ACC still a player when all is said and done? Or is it just the Big 10 & SEC and they raid a few more ACC/PAC12/Big12 teams and everyone else is a jobber looking in?

I'd say if there were assurances that Pitt is not part of the enhancement talent, then perhaps start thinking about the on-campus stadium.

But honestly, after experiencing the Taylor Swift concert this weekend, and how efficient traffic was handled getting in & getting out, I do prefer playing the games on the North Shore. It would be a nightmare getting 50K people into/out of Oakland on gameday. And tailgating would be close to non-existent.

Still think the 2 best solutions for Acrisure are tarping, and somehow getting the T connected to Oakland and ending so much reliance on the dumb shuttles to move the students

Reactions: Parkview57
Every QB entering the league has to learn to become an NFL QB. Entering training camp as the No. 3 and then starting the season as the backup has zero bearing on his overall career. Again, if it does, then Pickett was a wasted draft pick.
Obviously, every player at every position has to learn how to play their position in the NFL, Kenny Pickett is no different. Isn't that what training camp and the preseason games are for? I took my son to St. Vincent's last year two times and their practices were more like a modeling shoot. A lot of standing around by all involved. Based upon how the Steelers handled him last year, they may have wasted a draft pick in their mind.
They should have let him play in the first game of the year and let him learn as he goes along. I mean, isn't that what they did the guy anyway? Instead of starting in the first game, they held him back until game four. Did he learn something standing on the sidelines wearing a hat?

KP will be as good or bad as the team around him including the coaches. Like all QB he’ll either get too much credit or blame. I do have trepidation because he really only had one excellent season in college, let’s face it. He’ll only be able to will a team to greatness with a good bit of help. He’s no magician like Mahomes. Did the team improve around him enough? Only time will tell.

In all honesty, I would love to see them trade him to a team that runs an offense more tailored to his athletic skills. Would love to see go down to the Dolphins.

Could also be Tomlin covering his terrible decision to keep KP away from meaningful reps for six months when he could have been, you know, learning how to play the position better. Of course KP needs to improve but strapping one arm behind his back and wasting that much time likely cost the club a playoff spot.
I agree 100%.

Obviously, every player at every position has to learn how to play their position in the NFL, Kenny Pickett is no different. Isn't that what training camp and the preseason games are for? I took my son to St. Vincent's last year two times and their practices were more like a modeling shoot. A lot of standing around by all involved. Based upon how the Steelers handled him last year, they may have wasted a draft pick in their mind.
They should have let him play in the first game of the year and let him learn as he goes along. I mean, isn't that what they did the guy anyway? Instead of starting in the first game, they held him back until game four. Did he learn something standing on the sidelines wearing a hat?
There are two situations when a team takes a QB in the first round. One is when a team is a winner and has an established QB who might be starting to get older, so they take a guy who they think they can bring along slowly and nurture.

That situation is bizarrely how the Steelers treated Pickett early on. Except, the Steelers didn’t (don’t) have that situation. They had the more common situation: The team, despite what rose colored glasses might tell someone, wasn’t a winner, wasn’t very good, didn’t have an established successful QB already, and wasn’t in position to draft a QB in the first round only to let him stroll the sidelines for a few years holding a clipboard.

In that situation, the clock in the guy is already ticking. You needed to give him intense prep to get PT right away. You’re going to lose at first, but you would have lost any, so give him immediate experience, take his lumps early, etc.

Yet they treated the preseason and initial weeks of the season exactly like the former situation. They aren’t fools, so the team must have seriously felt they had made some major steal getting Mitch and that he would step in and be fantastic. But they were woefully mistaken, as everyone saw when Mitch played.

That’s when they launched the Chinese fire drill with Pickett thrown into the fire. Results at the start were predictably bad; as we’ve said, they did not prep him at all. Yet he and team actually seemed to start to gel near the end, which I was frankly startled to see. Can he/they continue to get better? Only time will tell. They made some great (on paper) off-season moves. I’m actually optimistic.

The real sad thing about the Pirates is they are now back to being unwatchable. I mean it was exciting not just winning, but watching Cruz, Hayes and Suwinski develop along with Contreras, and Reynolds was producing.....now it is back 2021 again.

The real sad thing about the Pirates is they are now back to being unwatchable. I mean it was exciting not just winning, but watching Cruz, Hayes and Suwinski develop along with Contreras, and Reynolds was producing.....now it is back 2021 again.
...AND it is only a matter of time until they start the yearly dumping of players. It is a never ending cycle of frustration for Pirates fans. By the way, only the Pittsburgh Pirates would take a C with the overall #1 pick in the draft and then try to turn him into an OF.

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

You can't build a new stadium until the dust settles on all the reorganization. Is Pitt & the ACC still a player when all is said and done? Or is it just the Big 10 & SEC and they raid a few more ACC/PAC12/Big12 teams and everyone else is a jobber looking in?

I'd say if there were assurances that Pitt is not part of the enhancement talent, then perhaps start thinking about the on-campus stadium.

But honestly, after experiencing the Taylor Swift concert this weekend, and how efficient traffic was handled getting in & getting out, I do prefer playing the games on the North Shore. It would be a nightmare getting 50K people into/out of Oakland on gameday. And tailgating would be close to non-existent.

Still think the 2 best solutions for Acrisure are tarping, and somehow getting the T connected to Oakland and ending so much reliance on the dumb shuttles to move the students

Pitt needs to hope that the SEC expands to 24 one day. That's there hope to get into a P2 league. Lets say the SEC adds FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVa. Pitt needs to be in that mix for the last 3 spots with schools like Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, WVU, etc. This is the play. And Pitt needs to be in communication with the SEC, asking them what they need to do (inotherwords, does an OCS help, hurt, or doesnt matter)

...AND it is only a matter of time until they start the yearly dumping of players. It is a never ending cycle of frustration for Pirates fans. By the way, only the Pittsburgh Pirates would take a C with the overall #1 pick in the draft and then try to turn him into an OF.
I hope that is the case. As the last few weeks have shown...this team is BAD. I just can't see anything of value on the team. They aren't trading Hayes, Reynolds, Keller, Davis, Cutch, Cruz... IS there anyone any contender would want? Bednar but he wouldn't bring that much. Suwinski? He's a one man air conditioner.

Pitt needs to hope that the SEC expands to 24 one day. That's there hope to get into a P2 league. Lets say the SEC adds FSU, Clemson, Miami, UNC, UVa. Pitt needs to be in that mix for the last 3 spots with schools like Kansas, Colorado, Arizona, WVU, etc. This is the play. And Pitt needs to be in communication with the SEC, asking them what they need to do (inotherwords, does an OCS help, hurt, or doesnt matter)
I hate to say it because it’s outlandish, but long term this IS really our best/only hope.

Pitt football would NOT survive in a B league, quasi G5 setup. We NEED to continue in the A league. And that is either the B1G or the SEC.

The B1G is the natural of course. And it shouldn’t be the impossibility everyone says. The impression that Pitt would deliver ‘nothing’ to the Big Ten is poorly conceived and a vehicle of the snide local media. PSU doesn’t deliver this entire region. Pitt would add a great deal as a complement and rival to PSU (and as blasphemous it might be to say, adding WVU, and finally ND as well would really complete it; this region has always had split allegiance of PSU, OSU, and these three).

But that flawed impression exists, and more importantly PSU apparently would fight to the death to prevent our addition. The rest of the B1G should tell them to F off but until that happens, we seem locked out.

So the only other option as crazy as it sounds is the SEC. Probably a portion of a percent chance. But “you’re saying there’s a chance” and as such, as you posted, we CAN’T just sit here doing nothing (as it appears we are, like the rest of the ACC), we HAVE to be campaigning.

I hope that is the case. As the last few weeks have shown...this team is BAD. I just can't see anything of value on the team. They aren't trading Hayes, Reynolds, Keller, Davis, Cutch, Cruz... IS there anyone any contender would want? Bednar but he wouldn't bring that much. Suwinski? He's a one man air conditioner.
Bednar should be the first to go. Everyone gets all excited because he is a local person and has done a good job in the bullpen. The reality of it is, the Pirates do not need a closer. There are many playoff teams who would trade for him to improve their bullpens. I know he is their "closer", but they probably have 2-3 other pitchers in the bullpen who could do the job if given the opportunity.

A 24 team league is foolish for any one. The entire sport needs to wake up before they ruin the sport.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT