ADVERTISEMENT

Some thoughts on PSU/Iowa

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
Watched most, but not all of the game. Here are some thoughts:
.....PSU's defense is great. Stop the run, pressure the QB with great athletes.
.....Offense is mediocre, but they got physical with the run game, especially second half.
Hamler tremendous in slot, REALLY makes people miss.
.....Scored 17 pts against Pitt and Iowa, and that's enough to win. Says much for def.
.....Iowa offense same old, same old. Def is decent, keeps them in games.
.....Iowa's fumble in PSU's redzone a killer, gave up easy score in a def. game.
.....Clifford had some big runs late, important in killing clock.
.....Iowa had back open for 2-pt conversion, Stanley went to covered tight end instead.
.....Don't know how Shaka Toney's targeting was reversed. Announcers thought it was automatic.(Looked much more obvious than Paris Ford's). Lucky for them he is playing against Mich.
.....JF got his 1st road win vs ranked team. Iowa may not be ranked now, especially with that off.
.....PSU aside, OSU and Wisky great teams, Mich overrated, Minn decent. Rest of B1G avg to poor. PSU could easily go 11-1. Pitt had their chance against them, couldn't finish.
.....Other than a few elite teams, much parity in CFB. Pitt can make a statement for rest of year. H2P.

Last edited:
  • PSU will never be bigger than Mich, OSU. Ever. If they spend 100m, they'll spend 120m.
  • They can claim they are by beating them (and wisc at times) regularly, but historically have been miserable at it.
  • Think they realize it as they were ones who floated the divisions unfair.
  • The defense is good and maybe Joe will reach up again and block another kick and this will be the year.

Iowa's offense sucks. Their oline blew more assignments than a New Orleans bordello. They simply can't score.
But PSU is good and pretty disciplined. I see them beating Michigan, but not TheOSU.

PSU is good especially on defense and we had a yard to go to possibly take them to overtime. I think they blow Michigan out but will lose a close one to Whiskey and again to OSU but no shame in that. I hate those bastards but they are good this year. Not elite but a solid top 15 team.

PSU is good especially on defense and we had a yard to go to possibly take them to overtime. I think they blow Michigan out but will lose a close one to Whiskey and again to OSU but no shame in that. I hate those bastards but they are good this year. Not elite but a solid top 15 team.
I hate those bastards but they are good this year.....based on a win against Iowa?

Woulda, coulda, shoulda....but didn’t.
When it is all said and done, only the final score matters.
Right, but can’t this thought be applied in Pitt’s favor too then? Because I’ve seem some out there trying to drag Pitt through the coals for struggling with Delaware and letting Duke come back and nearly beat them.

As much as I think Michigan is flawed......some would say it’s their head coach, I am going with Michigan in an upset over State Penn. U of M defense is going to throttle the nitters.

As much as I think Michigan is flawed......some would say it’s their head coach, I am going with Michigan in an upset over State Penn. U of M defense is going to throttle the nitters.
Iowa seemed to have their chances early to throttle them defensively, but then “SPU” got the run game and some QB scrambles working to eat up the clock and cruise to victory. Iowa would’ve needed some big turnover to win.

I’m not sure just how much better than Iowa that Michigan even is, and given the game is @ Creepy Valley... have a tough time seeing it. But week to week you never know sometimes.

PSU's QB isn't as accurate as they need. Hamler is a stud and they can't get him the ball often enough. Their o-line is good enough to pound the ball down most of the B1G's throat so I don't know why they don't go to that more inside the 20 (I really like what they're doing with their line). Honestly, PSU should be the best team in the B1G not named Ohio State. They just need to prove it.

I took my wife to Jackson and Yellowstone in early September. I feel sorry for people who have never ventured out to Teton National Park etc. spectacular. Thanks

Watched most, but not all of the game. Here are some thoughts:
.....PSU's defense is great. Stop the run, pressure the QB with great athletes.
.....Offense is mediocre, but they got physical with the run game, especially second half.
Hamler tremendous in slot, REALLY makes people miss.
.....Scored 17 pts against Pitt and Iowa, and that's enough to win. Says much for def.
.....Iowa offense same old, same old. Def is decent, keeps them in games.
.....Iowa's fumble in PSU's redzone a killer, gave up easy score in a def. game.
.....Clifford had some big runs late, important in killing clock.
.....Iowa had back open for 2-pt conversion, Stanley went to covered tight end instead.
.....Don't know how Shaka Toney's targeting was reversed. Announcers thought it was automatic.(Looked much more obvious than Paris Ford's). Lucky for them he is playing against Mich.
.....JF got his 1st road win vs ranked team. Iowa may not be ranked now, especially with that off.
.....PSU aside, OSU and Wisky great teams, Mich overrated, Minn decent. Rest of B1G avg to poor. PSU could easily go 11-1. Pitt had their chance against them, couldn't finish.
.....Other than a few elite teams, much parity in CFB. Pitt can make a statement for rest of year. H2P.

Didn’t watch one snap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT