ADVERTISEMENT

Some Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
Just as I was about to joke that the Millers may be able to coach in the Pro Am if it returns, the Cincinnati job opens up. Who knows what happens there, but that seems like it could be a fit for Archie. The decision from Arizona was odd, but not surprising, I think it was Pete Thamel that wrote it and I completely agree. You don't get fired for breaking rules now. You just get fired if those actions don't result in winning. Arizona could have made that move years ago. Instead, they rode it out and publicly supported him. The main issue is that they started to slip away from relevance.

Very surprised by the Hubert Davis hire at North Carolina. What we are seeing now is the impact of college basketball in recent years. In years past, North Carolina would be one of the best 2-3 jobs on the market and they could get any one. Maybe that is still the case to an extent, but these coaches are now seeing that you can coach in easier leagues and actually build stronger teams. Everyone is on tv now, so the major conferences don't have that edge. Also because of that, the money can be similar. Jobs like Gonzaga and Marquette are basically top ten jobs. We saw UNC, Texas, and Arizona all open within a two week period and it almost went unnoticed for most people. Texas obviously made the simple and home run hire. It was a perfect fit and they print money there. I do wonder how the ACC looks in five years. A lot of old coaches. Who knows when Duke, Syracuse, Miami, etc. open. Also wonder if Pastner would be in play at Arizona.

Even the blue bloods are now looking within. The big difference is, they can miss on a hire and recover. A school like Pitt cannot. It takes much longer to recover.

Coaching is more important than ever now. Not only are they dealing with all of these transfers and unique situations, but they are basically recruiting twice the number of kids. They have to basically recruit their own team every day, as well as evaluate twice the normal amount of kids that you would be looking at. With so many transfers, you are practically scouting, recruiting, and coaching 2 or 3 times the number of kids as before. With the same amount of time in a day as a college coach. A lot of these coaches are overpaid, but they are earning their paycheck right now.

As far as Efton Reid, I think we all need to relax and take a deep breath. I can confirm that the university will continue to have a basketball program if he goes elsewhere. I honestly have no idea where he is headed, and I am not sure anyone does. Such a strange recruitment. Can't remember a kid that highly ranked with such a quiet recruitment. It's not just from Pitt's angle either. No one has a clue or access to the kid. And the fact that he is at IMG makes it even that much stranger. I would be shocked if he ended up here, but who knows what is really going on there.

We all have to remember that these are actual kids committing and then playing at schools. Not a ranking or stars. It's not a video game. It just seems like a lot of people think that he is the missing piece for this season, and the program moving forward. Not so sure about that. We have to be careful with expectations, especially with young centers. I don't doubt the potential and I don't want to come across as knocking the kid, but we would have to see what he looks like in a league like the ACC next year. Remember Dante Taylor? Khem Birch? Steven Adams (although not really his fault)?

Like I keep saying, these young centers are probably not going to be an answer for Pitt. If a kid is 7'0 and shows any sign of game, they are gone. There are no 7 footers hanging around and contributing in college for four years. Just doesn't happen. What I would be looking for is shorter and tougher kids that don't have the NBA measureables. Reid already seems to be flirting with the G League and other options. Let's say he did end up at Pitt, I can't imagine him being in Oakland for more than one year. Regardless of what he contributes. That can happen nowadays. Even if it doesn't work out, these kids still tend to leave early. Sometimes never heard from again.

To me, a kid like Soriano could be just as good a pick up for this program right now, Or someone like that, that is going to play 2-3 years. Of course you are not going to get the PR boost that Reid would give you. That is an element of it. Justin remains the biggest piece for this team next year. If he is back, you can create a good team for this coming season. If he is not, I am not sure you can. It is that simple to me. There are so many good players out there. Depending on what you get, they can even tweak the style to maximize the roster. The biggest key is Justin.

I've heard that Hugley coming back is a long shot. Not impossible, but a lot has to happen. An incredible number of things have to happen, and they all would have to happen. A very sensitive situation. They cannot count on him, and must treat him as a luxury right now.

Nate Santos is a solid flyer to take on. With so many spots, it makes a lot of sense. The kids you want to take chances on are ones like him. A 6'7 character kid that can shoot makes a lot of sense. If he struggles a bit athletically off the bat, try to slide him up a spot to the two. That will help. Offset some of the weaknesses with strengths.

It has not been a good start to the offseason, but that is irrelevant if they can get Justin back and add a couple of the right pieces. There is a decent core on the roster right now. You do not need to bring in 8 players and find three starters, etc. Just some length and rebounding at the five, another shooter with length or athleticism, and another point guard. That is basically what you are looking at. Can definitely add more depth to that list, but that is what we are looking at. It does not matter how it starts or how many players they miss on, it is how the roster is finished. With the way college basketball is right now, there is an eternity until things are settled.

I know how passionate everyone is and it is a slow time right now. Just don't live or die with the Reid decision. If he goes elsewhere, don't bury the Pete. If he were to choose Pitt, it is not necessarily a final four team yet. That is all I am saying. This is going to be a long spring and summer period. Some things may even run up to August. We have seen that before in normal times. Also, Reid could even commit but then head in a different direction at some point. No one knows. Just exhibit patience and let things play out. Cautious optimism until the roster is formed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News