ADVERTISEMENT

Somewhat disappointed

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
I expected Capel would be able to bring in at least a serviceable big for this season.

Any chance it could still happen?

Reactions: TIGER-PAUL
He was probably watching and attending too many baseball games !

Would adding a player like Nix have pleased you ?

He's going to be the best recruiting HC Pitt has had that doesn't use Golden Panther type techniques.

He won't get every player he wants, but he will get his share , so relax . Pitt will get better it just won't happen overnight .

He's going to be the best recruiting HC Pitt has had that doesn't use Golden Panther type techniques.

He won't get every player he wants, but he will get his share , so relax . Pitt will get better it just won't happen overnight .
I think you know I never thought much of Nix. I just wanted someone 6-8 240 like the guy Duquesne brought in very late last year.

I was happy with the 4 players Capel brought in. I imagine he will bring in 3 pretty good players this year.

I think you know I never thought much of Nix. I just wanted someone 6-8 240 like the guy Duquesne brought in very late last year.

I was happy with the 4 players Capel brought in. I imagine he will bring in 3 pretty good players this year.

I totally agree. Certainly not another Nix, but a serviceable BIG for one year. As it stands now.we have Browne and Stevenson on the inside with Chuka as a backup along with Peace and George. We're gonna struggle inside against ACC teams.
I expect to see some 4-1 combination on the floor along with a lot of pressing on
the D end. IMO we'll be much better than last year and just might win a few
ACC games.

I totally agree. Certainly not another Nix, but a serviceable BIG for one year. As it stands now.we have Browne and Stevenson on the inside with Chuka as a backup along with Peace and George. We're gonna struggle inside against ACC teams.
I expect to see some 4-1 combination on the floor along with a lot of pressing on
the D end. IMO we'll be much better than last year and just might win a few
ACC games.
I'm sure he tried , but sometimes you just don't get what you
want !

Reactions: Chescat
I'm sure he tried , but sometimes you just don't get what you
want !
Exactly and be careful what you wish for???????
The basketball looks like a softball in his hands??? LOL.
Yes sir you can have my seat and my Double Cheeseburger too?

26jackson1-popup.jpg

Last edited:

Nix is now playing with Terceira in Portugal. That's not a great league, but it is a gig.

Wouldn't it be something if Brown ,Peace , Stevenson and George actually improve to the point of them not being the weak link on this team . I'm not expecting this , but one could always hope !
Those who saw considerable action last year had a year to improve their games . They got a firsthand look at what it takes to be a player at this level , none of these guys ran away from it . Hopefully they worked thier butts off .

Well its easy to be dissapointed. Capel came outta the gate like an austronant and now is just chillin on the moon.
IMO he will take Pitt further than Dixon cause he has purpose and heart.

idk ...... just hoping Capel does something at all. Pitt Basketball wtf.

Dixon had heart too. but Stallings .........

Wouldn't it be something if Brown ,Peace , Stevenson and George actually improve to the point of them not being the weak link on this team . I'm not expecting this , but one could always hope !
Those who saw considerable action last year had a year to improve their games . They got a firsthand look at what it takes to be a player at this level , none of these guys ran away from it . Hopefully they worked thier butts off .

It would. Unfortunately, I think it is just "wishing and hopeing" for something not really possible to the degree needed for a significant improvement.

Reactions: Chescat
It would. Unfortunately, I think it is just "wishing and hopeing" for something not really possible to the degree needed for a significant improvement.
I'm actually expecting significant improvement from their play last season , now we both may agree that will not be enough to propel Pitt to the upper half of the league . Very few high schoolers can come in and play quality minutes in the ACC without upperclassmen support and that includes Pitts current freshman class . Pitt Wil be a better more entertaining team this year , but its going to take a few recruiting classes before Pitt can compete on a regular basis in the conference .

Wow. Are most of you happy with anything. Let's at least play a game before we criticize.
Considering when he got hired it was hard to get in on the type of players he is used to coaching.
We should be happy he got in on any and actually got 1or 2.
If the bigs couldn't play to a higher standard in sure he would have ask them to go (like Stallings except not the whole team) and recruited bigs harder then guards.
in the end Pitt will be fine and the boys as well as the team will surprise a lot of people

Reactions: jctrack and Atch
Wow. Are most of you happy with anything. Let's at least play a game before we criticize.
Considering when he got hired it was hard to get in on the type of players he is used to coaching.
We should be happy he got in on any and actually got 1or 2.
If the bigs couldn't play to a higher standard in sure he would have ask them to go (like Stallings except not the whole team) and recruited bigs harder then guards.
in the end Pitt will be fine and the boys as well as the team will surprise a lot of people

I think the team Capel inherited had a serious backcourt weakness, despite the overall plethora of guards. Those guards were mostly either 2/3 guards/wings or 2/1 combo guards better suited to playing the 2 than the 1. So, Point Guard was a significant weakness. Capel recognized that and was able to recruit immediately to fix that problem. Finding quality bigs, on the other hand, who can rebound strongly and provide rim defense was and is, IMO, the next most important problem to be fixed. Given the late recruiting start for 2018, Capel was (unless there is a very very late surprise) unable to land a decent big for 2018. Hopefully that problem will be at least adequately, or better, addressed with the class of 2019.

Brown has some upside, but I’m not sure what the ceiling looks like there. Beyond that, I don’t think any of the bigs are ACC-worthy.

As was said earlier, this is going to be a multi-year rebuild that really tests Capel’s rep as a recruiting ace. The 2018 class was good, but he’s going to need 2-3 more of those before you can start dreaming beyond a bottom 3rd finish. This isn’t a league for freshmen, unless you’re pulling kids out of the top 25 like Duke and UNC are able to do. Getting kids like McGowens and Toney was a big step forward...I think that’s exactly the range of recruit (fringe top-75 to solid top 125-150 kids) that we should feel comfortable going after in the immediate future. I’m not the biggest Capel fan, but I’m hoping that’s the plan...build with continuity in mind by getting talented kids who will be around for 2-3 years at the minimum.

I think Brown has McGhee level upside and I'd take it in a heartbeat. Really expecting a big next step from him this year, especially given that the talent around him should be better.

Mann to Florida and Wiseman setting several visits. Both good news here.

Mann to UF most likely takes them off the table for Gaffney. UConn is probably the favorite now and will be looking for a commit during or shortly after their OV in September. If he comes out of that visit still uncommitted, this will get interesting.

For Wiseman, the longer that Domino stays upright, the more chance there is to work on a Wahab commit before the bigger schools who are left without a seat in the Wiseman/Carey/Hurt/Cockburn musical chairs shift their focus. Cuse is the team to beat...have to really get on Wahab while they trip over themselves pursuing Girard, Akok, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT