ADVERTISEMENT

Star Guard Cole Anthony likely to visit Pitt as a Top 5

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-Per Evan Daniels and crew and they wouldnt be surprised if he picked Pitt or Notre Dame in the end.

-Anthony is now teammates with Cockburn at Oak Hill, another Pitt target

-Winless Pitt and Capel are starting to flex and Capel hasnt won a single game yet at Pitt, LOL

-All the idiots talking trash on Pitt around the internet because of Stallings better put a lid on it, our recruiting is trending up, way up

Reactions: lilspainishflea
-Per Evan Daniels and crew and they wouldnt be surprised if he picked Pitt or Notre Dame in the end.

-Anthony is now teammates with Cockburn at Oak Hill, another Pitt target

-Winless Pitt and Capel are starting to flex and Capel hasnt won a single game yet at Pitt, LOL

-All the idiots talking trash on Pitt around the internet because of Stallings better put a lid on it, our recruiting is trending up, way up

Dixon got in a lot of Top 5s and Top 3s. Capel has to close

I'm not sure how JC will compare to JD as a coach , but there's no doubt he's a better recruiter .

Last edited:
If Capel doesn't close at least 1 of these kids, it's more of the same. It's great to have all of this talk and activity with Capel running all over the place and aggressively going after some top talent. But let's see him close one before giving him his due.

I'm cautiously optimistic with a few of the guys he's going after, but I felt the same way with some of the guys that Dixon was going after that he didn't close. Forget Stallings....he was a nothing. I want to see results at Pitt before anointing Capel a great recruiter.

If Capel doesn't close at least 1 of these kids, it's more of the same. It's great to have all of this talk and activity with Capel running all over the place and aggressively going after some top talent. But let's see him close one before giving him his due.

I'm cautiously optimistic with a few of the guys he's going after, but I felt the same way with some of the guys that Dixon was going after that he didn't close. Forget Stallings....he was a nothing. I want to see results at Pitt before anointing Capel a great recruiter.

He already has. McGowens (83) is our highest rated recruit since the Adams/Robinson class.

My expectation is that he’ll consistently land classes with kids in the 75-125 range until the program really gets humming again. And setting expectations higher than that is unreasonable in light of where the program is right now. Once the ship is righted, I do think we’ll be landing top 50 kids regularly.

He already has. McGowens (83) is our highest rated recruit since the Adams/Robinson class.

My expectation is that he’ll consistently land classes with kids in the 75-125 range until the program really gets humming again. And setting expectations higher than that is unreasonable in light of where the program is right now. Once the ship is righted, I do think we’ll be landing top 50 kids regularly.

I was talking about one of the kids he is recruiting now, not that was recruited before. I understand about McGowens and that's great. But he's one kid and that isn't a trend. I'm optimistic about Capel's recruiting prowess also, but I've been following Pitt sports way too long to know that this will take time and Capel hasn't proven anything yet about what kind of results he can get.

Nothing against your expectations, but they're just that....expectations. We all have some type of expectation for this season and for Capel. At the end of the day, they don't matter one bit. What matters is results. And there aren't any yet.

Reactions: DiehardPanther
I was talking about one of the kids he is recruiting now, not that was recruited before. I understand about McGowens and that's great. But he's one kid and that isn't a trend. I'm optimistic about Capel's recruiting prowess also, but I've been following Pitt sports way too long to know that this will take time and Capel hasn't proven anything yet about what kind of results he can get.

Nothing against your expectations, but they're just that....expectations. We all have some type of expectation for this season and for Capel. At the end of the day, they don't matter one bit. What matters is results. And there aren't any yet.
If Capel isn’t able to land any highly rated players, then the finger is squarely pointing at Pitt as the problem. Capel is the best recruiter we could land right now.

Reactions: joeydavid
The excitement is based in the number of high level kids with serious interest in Pitt. Even in Dixon's best recruiting years Pitt wasn't attracting this much interest.

The caveat to all of this - Capel is doing this without a normal amount of official visits to sell his program.

The excitement is based in the number of high level kids with serious interest in Pitt. Even in Dixon's best recruiting years Pitt wasn't attracting this much interest.

The caveat to all of this - Capel is doing this without a normal amount of official visits to sell his program.

-Capel is doing this coming off the worst season in ACC basketball history and arguably the worst season in P5 history. This isnt like Dixon being handed a Corvette in the Big East with a brand new basketball arena and basketball facility coming off multiple sweet 16's and championships from Howland. The program was in the mud at the bottom of the ocean last year and we still got one of the best classes in the ACC conference in 2 months. When we start winning on the court, recruiting is going to get much much easier.

-And your point is noted. We are short on official visits too and have to be selective as to who gets one. Just win this year and be competitive in year 1 and recruiting in 2020 forward will be much much easier.

Greg Anthony is doing this the right way. He said his son will wait until all of the coaching changes are set, all of the rosters are set and then Cole announce his decision sometime in April.

In only a few months, Capel landed the 6th best class in the ACC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT