ADVERTISEMENT

Steelers

The preseason means absolutely nothing , if you guys haven’t forgotten. Hell , Kenny looked like an All Pro last year and the first team offense looked unstoppable. Relax it’s the preseason .

Saying that they sure do look bad !

The preseason means absolutely nothing , if you guys haven’t forgotten. Hell , Kenny looked like an All Pro last year and the first team offense looked unstoppable. Relax it’s the preseason .

Saying that they sure do look bad !
Agreed. You idiots utilizing logic should go with absolute optimism instead. Let’s go Steelers!!!

Agreed. You idiots utilizing logic should go with absolute optimism instead. Let’s go Steelers!!!
Above average qbs should feast on these vanilla defense /
Or at least lead to more than 2 FG attempts

We will likely have 2 rookies starting on the OL
Our receiver core is - um- sub average at best .

I do think the defense will be good .

Reactions: 303vND

This after RW's menstrual cramps...

McCarthy from Michigan is out for the year also. Maybe some day the NFL will realize that starting to play football in July and continuing until February isn't the best way to prolong your talent. Camp should start mid-August, one preseason game, then get things started by Labor Day.

The team is completely flawed. They spend their money on the defensive side. The teams vying for a superbowl are building their teams through the offense. Look at last year's final 4. You got San Fran with McCaffery, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle. Detroit had Gibbs and Monty, with Amon-ra St. Brown and La Porta. KC has Mahomes and Kelce, with a good line and solid supporting cast. Baltimore has Jackson, flowers, Andrew's and Likely, and a solid line. The Steelers are devoid of talent in comparison. The defense might actually be pretty good, but will it be able to hold up after the offense repeatedly goes 3 and out? I mean, I like Najee Harris, he is a good battering ram, but he can't go the distance and our one good receiver will have double coverage all year. Friermuth will have to have a huge season for the Steelers offense to even be respectable.

The team is completely flawed. They spend their money on the defensive side. The teams vying for a superbowl are building their teams through the offense. Look at last year's final 4. You got San Fran with McCaffery, Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle. Detroit had Gibbs and Monty, with Amon-ra St. Brown and La Porta. KC has Mahomes and Kelce, with a good line and solid supporting cast. Baltimore has Jackson, flowers, Andrew's and Likely, and a solid line. The Steelers are devoid of talent in comparison. The defense might actually be pretty good, but will it be able to hold up after the offense repeatedly goes 3 and out? I mean, I like Najee Harris, he is a good battering ram, but he can't go the distance and our one good receiver will have double coverage all year. Friermuth will have to have a huge season for the Steelers offense to even be respectable.

Friermuth? Lol. Good grief he's a TE3 on a good team.

After last night, the smartest things the Steelers did this off-season is to not sign either of the QBs for 2025 or beyond. I mean I still think Wilson will put in an above average QB performance, like he does every single year, but man that was painful to watch.
Yep, so a start over next year at QB is just what they need. LOL.

Yep, so a start over next year at QB is just what they need. LOL.
meh, i get your point but investing in a multi year deal for qbs who are coming off failing years, one in late 30s and one who has yet to succeed in the nfl, isnt exactly a great idea either..

if by some miracle, either one of these cast offs has a good year, we can then offer them a multi year contract for 25 and beyond. no reason to double down on a bad situation until you know what you have..

Reactions: BTisinDC and CJsE
meh, i get your point but investing in a multi year deal for qbs who are coming off failing years, one in late 30s and one who has yet to succeed in the nfl, isnt exactly a great idea either..

if by some miracle, either one of these cast offs has a good year, we can then offer them a multi year contract for 25 and beyond. no reason to double down on a bad situation until you know what you have..
Hint - if they are remotely serviceable - as UFAs they will be gonzo

Friermuth? Lol. Good grief he's a TE3 on a good team.
I think he is a decent route runner and pass catcher, but he can't block at all. I was simply saying that for the Steelers offense to be even respectable, he will have to have a nice year. Do I see it happening? Absolutely not.

Reactions: joeydavid

I don't know if the money they have sunk into the defense is by design as much as it is incompetence. They let the defense completely fall apart, and it took a damn decade to rebuild it. They threw so much draft capital at it that so many of those rookie contracts expired on one side of the ball at the same time. Then there were a decent amount of misses (Jarvis Jones, Artie Burns, Shazier via bad luck, Bud Dupree for the most part, Terrell Edmunds mostly, etc.).

They're doing the same thing on the other side of the ball now. Harris, Friermuth, Pickens, Jones, Frazier, Fautana, the QB or receiver they take in the first round next year, etc. They can finally stitch together a good offense just in time to watch the defense fall apart again.

Also, TJ Watt in his prime is worth at least three wins per year, I think. He can take a 6-11 team and make it 9-8. But he's about to be out of his prime real soon. So that will be fun.

I’m seeing lots of cope on Twitter

“ last season they was perfect in preseason we see how well that went”

Here’s the thing… when you look this bad in preseason the hill to climb to look good in the regular season just got tougher. This isn’t zero sum just swap one for the other crap.
Bingo. A great preseason doesn't necessarily mean you'll be great in the regular season. But it's hard to imagine how you'll get significantly better if you are terrible during the preseason. I don't think the starting unit has even scored a TD yet.

Bingo. A great preseason doesn't necessarily mean you'll be great in the regular season. But it's hard to imagine how you'll get significantly better if you are terrible during the preseason. I don't think the starting unit has even scored a TD yet.

Just as Jeff Goldblum turned into a fly, Tomlin and Narduzzi might morph into two hawkeyes over the course of this season.

images

Might not be a good year if you enjoy points. At least Pitt has YSU and Kent State they can bully... I think/hope.

The Steelers biggest problem IMO is that their coach simply doesn't understand modern offense. And because he doesn't know what he's looking at, he can't figure out who to hire. And because those guys also don't know what they're doing, nobody on offense gets any better.

Seriously, they've spent a ton of early draft capital on the offense. And what has that returned?

2023 - 1st round OT might be a bust, 3rd round pick spent on a blocking TE
2022 - 1st round QB bust, 2nd round WR is above-average but he's also a headache and probably would have been drafted higher if he wasn't hurt
2021 - 1st round RB isn't even top 15 at his position / best RB on the team might be undrafted, 2nd round TE is maybe the 15th best player at his position, 3rd round OC bust
2020 - 2nd round WR bust and they got bailed out by stupid Chicago trading the 31st pick for him

Seriously. That's 3 1sts, 3 2nds, and 2 3rds and they got literally one quality starter. 3 aren't even on the team anymore. 8 guys are all Kevin Colbert's fault? I bet the difference in meeting rooms for the offensive side between San Fran and Pittsburgh is like the difference between a math class at Carnegie Mellon and a 9 year olds doing their times tables at some school down in McKeesport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pittisit4me
The Steelers biggest problem IMO is that their coach simply doesn't understand modern offense. And because he doesn't know what he's looking at, he can't figure out who to hire. And because those guys also don't know what they're doing, nobody on offense gets any better.

Seriously, they've spent a ton of early draft capital on the offense. And what has that returned?

2022 - 1st round QB bust, 2nd round WR is above-average but he's also a headache and probably would have been drafted higher if he wasn't hurt
2021 - 1st round RB isn't even top 15 at his position / best RB on the team might be undrafted, 2nd round TE is maybe the 15th best player at his position, 3rd round OC bust
2020 - 2nd round WR bust and they got bailed out by stupid Chicago trading the 31st pick for him

Seriously. That's 3 1sts, 4 2nds, and 2 3rds and they got literally one quality starter. 2 aren't even on the team anymore. 9 guys are all Kevin Colbert's fault? I bet the difference in meeting rooms for the offensive side between San Fran and Pittsburgh is like the difference between a math class at Carnegie Mellon and a 9 year olds doing their times tables at some school down in McKeesport.

Devoting himself to a modern approach would set Tomlin back another X amount of years. And he's already exhausted so much goodwill by not winning a playoff game in 8 years. So, here we are: a "simplified" offense, whose ceiling is probably squeaking out a wildcard win.

Should have blew it up after 2020, so we could be in year three of a rebuild instead of year 6 (or are we on 7?) of limbo.

Though, credit where it's due - at least taking two tackles in the first round in consecutive years is something that ought to translate to just about any offensive approach.

Hint - if they are remotely serviceable - as UFAs they will be gonzo
They have one prayer, a small one. Dak Prescott is an UFA and has a no-franchise clause with Dallas. If he hits the market, and wants to play for Tomlin, the Steelers have $80 million in cap room for him. Otherwise they're going to be playing QB roulette again with some castoff. This time one on the skill level of Trubisky. Think Sam Darnold or Mac Jones.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
They have one prayer, a small one. Dak Prescott is an UFA and has a no-franchise clause with Dallas. If he hits the market, and wants to play for Tomlin, the Steelers have $80 million in cap room for him. Otherwise they're going to be playing QB roulette again with some castoff. This time one on the skill level of Trubisky. Think Sam Darnold or Mac Jones.

If that's the outcome (Dak)- the QB moves this year will look even more moronic.

Reactions: Pittisit4me

Seriously. That's 3 1sts, 4 2nds, and 2 3rds and they got literally one quality starter. 2 aren't even on the team anymore. 9 guys are all Kevin Colbert's fault? I bet the difference in meeting rooms for the offensive side between San Fran and Pittsburgh is like the difference between a math class at Carnegie Mellon and a 9 year olds doing their times tables at some school down in McKeesport.
Same coach that had a dynamic offense for years ?
You think it was just a coincidence that tge lddenss had 6-8 perennial pro bowlers every year - tomlin suddenly could coach offense better ?

Same coach that had a dynamic offense for years ?
You think it was just a coincidence that tge lddenss had 6-8 perennial pro bowlers every year - tomlin suddenly could coach offense better ?
I don't think it's a coincidence at all. I think Tomlin is a good coach when he has a bunch of Hall of Fame players. He's an average coach when he doesn't have the literal best of the best players of the entire generation. That means he's not that good of a coach.

Good coaches can get results even with lesser players. Kyle Shanahan can make a Super Bowl with Jimmy G. Belichik made the playoffs with Matt Cassel and Mac Jones. Tomlin can't make the conference championship with Prime Big Ben because his limitations prevent him from keeping the Jaguars under 43 points.

He's incredibly mid at this point. I honestly don't know what he does well except recruit players to come play here. But even that is looking like a possible liability with Russ and Fields. He in no way justifies his top 2-3 salary anymore. Not by any metric or even fan boy defense.

Last edited:
I don’t know what the odds are for Myles Garrett to win another DPoY, but assuming he gets to play this O line 2X this season, I’m buying.
The Steelers always double him and throw quick passes. That's why half the yinzers think he "never does anything" agaisnt the Steelers. They alter the entire gameplan to avoid what would happen if they left Moore one on one.

Another stellar offensive performance today.
Come on now. Wilson looked like a Hall of Famer today. Coach catch phrase saw enough with 1 pass and 1 drive.
Your going to hear tomlin tell the media minions that russ had control of the offense and he is comfortable with how the offense looked.
We are now going to get 2 weeks of hype until they go into Atlanta and get spanked.

Reactions: pittdan77

Dak isn't happening.

Reactions: BreakingPitt
Despite how much I would absolutely despise this, it would almost be worth it to have him and Duzz sharing the Southside Complex.
People are predicting Prime coaching in Dallas next year as a package deal with his son.

But what has Prime shown as a coach? Last year on this board whenever people spoke disparaging of him, all the claws came out from a bunch of guys who were gushing all over his greatness. Then the gleam fell of the rose.

Prime’s sample size is still small…but coaching an NFL franchise? In my best Kurt Angle voice-“who’d he ever beat? Where are his gold medals?”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT